Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2242 2243 [2244] 2245 2246 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096624 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33645 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:47 pm »

One of my miners made a sheep leather buckler.
How exactly is this useful?
It does have Giant Kea bone and Gremlin bone, but still.
Shields don't seem to worry about what they are made of, so this artifact will work better than a ☼Steel Shield☼ in combat.

Quality has no affect on how well a shield or buckler can block an attack. All that matters is the users skill and the shield's defined ability to block. And since a shield has double the block chance of a buckler, the shield is always superior.

Edit: Though as PDF mentioned, material and quality will still come into play when a shield-bash occurs, but leather is pretty poor, since it is fairly light. It should be about the same as a wooden shield, actually, since the base wood template and the leather template have the same density.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:07:37 pm by BlackFlyme »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33646 on: March 20, 2014, 10:03:39 pm »

Yeah I checked zivillin's research and quality does not effect chance to block.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33647 on: March 20, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »

Yeah I checked zivillin's research and quality does not effect chance to block.
Really? I tought it affected block chance just like armor...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33648 on: March 21, 2014, 03:24:22 am »

If I have my !SCIENCE! correct, the size of a shield is directly based off of the size of the entity that made/spawned it. Therefore, a human-made iron shield is superior for shield bashing duities due to the increased weight.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33649 on: March 21, 2014, 06:47:09 am »

If I have my !SCIENCE! correct, the size of a shield is directly based off of the size of the entity that made/spawned it. Therefore, a human-made iron shield is superior for shield bashing duities due to the increased weight.
Really? Then some -iron shield- from the humans may work better for bludgeoning than our small ones?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33650 on: March 21, 2014, 10:20:25 am »

For some reason, one of the children of my fortress took it upon himself to operate a magma forge to make a nickel sarcophagus for our baroness.
I mean, I know they do what they please, but he's dealing with molten metal made molten by molten rock to make a corpse bin. Why did he think this was wise?

EDIT: Never mind that. Apparently it was a metalsmith doing it while holding their baby. Still unsafe, but it's better than having them in the military.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33651 on: March 21, 2014, 12:11:54 pm »

EDIT: Never mind that. Apparently it was a metalsmith doing it while holding their baby. Still unsafe, but it's better than having them in the military.
Yo, totally responsible mommies, never let the child alone!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33652 on: March 21, 2014, 12:23:00 pm »

I just broke a small ambush of goblins.
Four mace users and an archer.
My epic soldier who wields two iron swords who struck down many thieves and two forgotten beasts killed them swiftly with no injuries.
Not one.
Not even a bruise.

sl4very

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33653 on: March 21, 2014, 02:04:29 pm »

A bronze colossus showed up at the end of the third year. His first official action was to smash a brain out of its related dwarf. Both, brain and dwarf were kicked several tiles, giving me a first impression of  the colossus's desstructive mania. As my mitlitary melee dwarfs only were equipped with weapons but not with reasonable armour, I decided to range kill that bastard.

I lured him into my "fighting area" where my crossbow dwarfes could shot at him while he wasn't able to reach them. So he stood there and did nothing, while my ranged dwarfes fired a hell of a lot bolts onto him. All bolts glanced away because they all were made of wood or bones. One bolt that was made of bismut bronze (dont know where it came from) chipped something but that seemed not to bother him in any way.

That annoyed me and threw my meele dwarfs into fight (clever or not). At least they were equipped with metal weapons and some clothing shreds they called a "leather armour". To make it short: They killed Dr. colossus after a lot of fighting rounds, but one meleedwarf were hurt very serious. Iam afraid that he will have to lay down in a traction bench for the next couple of years. :(

funny side fact: Chief medical decided to have a extended break, when he was needed at most.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33654 on: March 21, 2014, 02:12:46 pm »

My fort is at a surprising 155 members.
What's the record for number of citizens anyway?

sl4very

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33655 on: March 21, 2014, 02:38:09 pm »

I dont know. I had a lot of forts that died a slow-and-sad-FPS-dead. :(

So I guess its scales with your PC calculation power.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33656 on: March 21, 2014, 02:38:41 pm »

Mine handles 155 no sweat.
Let's try to crank it up to 300.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33657 on: March 21, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »

What's the record for number of citizens anyway?
I have got up to 423, without anything for better framerate, and died a quite fun dead, some necromancers came and I forgot to clean up the trash from the last sieges... I was at 3 fps anyway, so I didn't even bothered to close the drawbridge, went eat some snacks and came back when the undead had finished the job...

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33658 on: March 21, 2014, 02:59:17 pm »

I dont know. I had a lot of forts that died a slow-and-sad-FPS-dead. :(

So I guess its scales with your PC calculation power.

It doesn't even scale that much because current pc calculation power increases are mostly based upon adding more cores to CPUs and since dwarf fortress doesn't support multithreading extra cores aren't really meaningfull.

As a result everyone has the FPS death at around the same level.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33659 on: March 21, 2014, 03:01:46 pm »

I lured him into my "fighting area" where my crossbow dwarfes could shot at him while he wasn't able to reach them. So he stood there and did nothing, while my ranged dwarfes fired a hell of a lot bolts onto him. All bolts glanced away because they all were made of wood or bones. One bolt that was made of bismut bronze (dont know where it came from) chipped something but that seemed not to bother him in any way.
That's why bronze colossi are just the best marksdwarf trainers ever, except maybe necromancers, and necromancers take a lot more setup.
Pages: 1 ... 2242 2243 [2244] 2245 2246 ... 3842