Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2236 2237 [2238] 2239 2240 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096165 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33555 on: March 16, 2014, 11:09:55 am »

A random miner and the expedition leader just married.
Also this ghost of a caravan guard who got atom smashed won't leave.
I recomend using DF hack tweak for fixing atom smashed/Magma burned caravan guards ghosts.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33556 on: March 16, 2014, 03:28:59 pm »

I think i can confirm that physical isolation is a good contraceptive - for dwarfs. Definitely not for animals, but for dwarfs it really does reduce or prevent pregnancies. Rith has been isolated from her husband for just under thirteen years now and hasn't had another child. Her three children have all grown up now and i've reduced most activities to ordinary maintenance.

For some reason, trees have largely stopped re-growing, so doing anything ressource-consuming turns into massive travels all over the surface, not to mention depletion of what little wood remains. I suspect "tree space" is getting hogged by cavern trees, preventing others from growing up.

Rith has become even more legendary at clothesmaking, is a legendary farmer and high-level thresher, woodcutter and carpenter, as well as a decent cook and brewer.

Mebzuth, the eldest daughter, is 18 now, a talented woodcrafter, proficient ambusher (price catch was an elephant) and all-around handydwarf; she's picked up all the odd jobs like beekeeping, animal training, soapmaking and has become adequate in most of them (including waxcrafting). She's also the main hauler.

Tholtig, the son, is thirteen going on fourteen and has done nothing but smoothing the exposed rock faces. He's become an accomplished engraver in well over 1 1/2 years, due to his completely awful speed attributes: he was very clumsy, with poor kinesthetic sense and atrocious spatial senses when coming of age, he's one indicator less clumsy and spatially unaware due to eighteen months of non-stop engraving.

Solon, the youngest daughter, was born after Rith was isolated and was one of the last dwarfs to mood on the site before i disabled artefacts. She's a legendary bonecarver, but for now i've put her on fishing duty, to have another source of food and another crafting material.

The two other children who were thrown out of the underground compound, Led (boy= and Mebzuth (girl) are just over two and just under three years away from growing up. I'm not too sure of what i'm going to do with them apart from marry them off as soon as possible.

A single cage trap (we had four stones, three of which were converted to mechanisms, and two of those were needed for the screw press) captured two chinchillas and three wolves. The wolves were of different genders, so a small wolf farm has sprung up. Perhaps i should mod them to be trainable, this could eventually allow turning invaders on...

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33557 on: March 16, 2014, 06:01:03 pm »

My fort tamed a pair of ravens.
Nobody is training them past the initial state for some reason.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #33558 on: March 16, 2014, 06:57:10 pm »

My fort tamed a pair of ravens.
Nobody is training them past the initial state for some reason.
If ravens are carnivore(I don't remember well) they need meat to be trained, so you'll need to butcher some corpses and forbid the meat in the kitchen,  tough you would also need a way of keeping your dwarves from eating it too...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33559 on: March 16, 2014, 07:36:27 pm »

Food is only required to tame wild animals. If they're at least partially tamed (semi-wild or trained), further training must take place outside of a cage, in a pasture or at a restraint, by an animal trainer. I think you need to have an animal training zone defined, too - animals that aren't restricted to a place will be trained there, others will be trained in their pasture or at their restraint. Trainers will only very irregularly try to reinforce the training of animals. I suspect they use some kind of dwarven radar to attempt training when some internal counter announces the animal will soon revert to a lower tameness level. They don't appear to follow any kind of timed schedule.

Keep in mind that creatures turning wild outside of a cage are hard to impossible to capture again, since they ignore all traps. Restrained wild animals will remain at their restraint, but must be juggled back into a cage before re-taming. This is a bit of a problem with low-skill animal trainers, who only impart very low training qualities, which don't take very long to revert to fully wild.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33560 on: March 17, 2014, 01:40:57 am »

So apparently it rains goblin blood at my new glacier fort. Not as satisfying as elf blood, but it does the trick. No syndromes though, just unhappy dorfs chasing yetis.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33561 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:12 am »

I think you need to have an animal training zone defined, too

It isn't needed, they can just be in an ordinary pasture
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33562 on: March 17, 2014, 07:24:04 am »

I have a feeling my militia is going to start fighting over my newest artifact.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Value is kind of mid-point...

And it sounds like it may be kind of difficult to carry...

But I am sure somebody will claim it. 

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33563 on: March 17, 2014, 07:34:40 am »

I'd assing it manually to the captain of your Marksdwarf squad before any soldier claims it.
But taht's just me two cents.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33564 on: March 17, 2014, 02:56:50 pm »

Had a recent siege.  It went well overall.

First off, the lovely tunnel constructed under the river was completely ignored by the goblins.  Nope, no inviting, dry tunnel for them--and oh my goodness, of course you can simply igore those serrated copper things in the walls, only there for decoration!--instead they chose to wade through the carp-infested waters at the north end of the map where the river is a bit lower.  So that was a bust.

Next, my civilians responded to the alarm admirably.  In short order I had three marksdwarf squads in position overlooking the pastures.  The melee dwarves were placed at the trade depot.  The strategy is to draw in the goblins to attack the pasture and cut them to pieces with crossbow bolts. 

One of my marksdwarves decided instead to go for a walk in the woods.  Three squads began to home in on him, one squad of goblin fighters, one of trolls, and one of crossbow goblins.  Fortunately, the happy wanderer was close to the fortifications of the keep.  He proceeded to troll the goblins by wandering close, loosing a few bolts, and backing away, drawing in the attacking squads.  Taking one wound to the gut, this little adventurer almost singlehandedly cut down an entire squad.  Meanwhile, the trolls were quickly wiped out by my novice marksdwarf squad. 

Finally, the last remaining goblins from across the river approached the fortress, looking to kill the livestock.  They were quickly forced to retreat by the marksdwarves, and the front bridge was finally opened up to release the melee squads to finish off the survivors.

No deaths from the siege, except for the animals left out as bait.  I allowed the civilians to clean up the body parts, and pick up the left over bolts.  I am not building a massive hall, destined for the mountain king. It will be multiple z-levels, be fully engraved, and will have a magma river. 

After that, I will need a new project.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33565 on: March 17, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »

I want your military! Mine during sieges/ambushes just see the military and forget all their training.

Derp, there's a goblin behind me but it's not catching up. I can either run into the fortress or run around like a chicken with my head cut off!

Embarrassingly enough, I had an ambush take out an entire squad of dwarves. *sigh* Get me some migrants - I need fresh blood!
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33566 on: March 17, 2014, 04:07:46 pm »

Just now a dwarven child, possessed by unknown forces, crafted an artifact goblin bone earring. It menaces with spikes of goblin bone and adorns with rings of merfolk bone. It's called Future of Tars. He used XXmerfolk right footXX for the sake of crafting... Which was burnt in a huge fire that covered half of the map, and was stopped only because there's a brook in the middle. I'm pretty sure the fire started because of the spellbook that was fighting with a Nord Caravan that just came. Good boy.

As for military, my population is at 97, and i've got 8 dorfs in the military. 6 of them don't know which side of sword to hold,  2 of them are beasts. One of them, a female dorf, single handedly slain a whole merfolk siege and a goblin ambush while holding her baby. Got a small wound on right lower leg which required suturing. I've had more soldiers, but most of them are cripples by now. My chief doctor doesn't have a leg and is a legendary crutch-walker. My militia commander is patched up to the limits, I'm surprised he even walks. As for the rest... usually sensory nerve damage. I'd love to appoint 20-30 cripples for a goblin siege, but these migrants have darn huge families, I don't wanna risk a tantrum spiral:o So basically the future of my fort lays in hands of two dorfs, both fully steel/iron armored, expert fighters and skilled swordwarves. The fort is holding for 4 years already, but probably because I build walls around it and open it up only for my liaison. Or elf caravans, great target practice. They're not even man enough to retaliate.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:16:45 pm by Ragnarock »
Dabbling Overseer

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33567 on: March 17, 2014, 05:36:26 pm »

I'm still waiting for the dragons to hatch. It feels like the first season of game of thrones.

On other news, the fort has recently decided that it needs a tree farm, so I walled off a sizable area to facilitate secure tree collection.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33568 on: March 17, 2014, 05:40:08 pm »

Or elf caravans, great target practice. They're not even man enough to retaliate.
Let the Elven caravans arrive, offer them the best wooden items you have and let them wander off alife when they're all mad at this.
Do this 1-2 times and they will attack your fort.
Slaughtering elves is less a crime than offering them wood in their round.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33569 on: March 17, 2014, 05:44:09 pm »

Just now a dwarven child, possessed by unknown forces, crafted an artifact goblin bone earring. It menaces with spikes of goblin bone and adorns with rings of merfolk bone. It's called Future of Tars. He used XXmerfolk right footXX for the sake of crafting...
Merfolk have feet?
Pages: 1 ... 2236 2237 [2238] 2239 2240 ... 3842