Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2228 2229 [2230] 2231 2232 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095448 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33435 on: March 07, 2014, 11:26:16 pm »

Memorandum of exemplary conduct in military service

TO: MOMUZ "MUZ" LANCERCHANNEL

This memorandum is to establish and officially promote Private Muz Lancerchannel to the position of sergeant under the command of Commander General Sentra Shootgilt of the bladesever squad at The Last Abbey.

Muz, your exemplary preformance was missed the first time, and as your overseer I would like to apologize. When the goblinsmasher was mysteriously unlocked, and the fetid goblin scum released armed and dangerous to the fortress, you saved countless lives by falcon-punching him in the head so hard the shrapnel from his helmet killed him instantly. And the event that brought you to my attention,  the escape of the kobold thief screeblus, was, objectively and in full professional manner, seriously badass. Upon watching the kobold stab one of your squadmates, you went above and beyond, and underwater. In the river. Which you pushed the kobold into. You then proceeded to beat the crap out of the kobold, until it drowned, sadly denying you the kill by official record. I was certain you were to die, but you nochalantly climbed out of the river and went back to lead a combat demonstration. I can only hope it was a combat demonstration of the application of enormous testes in underwater combat.

You are hereby promoted to sergeant, the first of the bladesever to achieve that rank. Now please put on your armor and a proper uniform. Kicking ass is all well and good but steel saves lives.

END MEMORANDUM.

So one of my dwarves went for a swim, punched a hole in a iron helmet, and was generally pretty badass.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33436 on: March 08, 2014, 03:53:51 am »

You could use the gold spear for a super-fancy danger room. I don't know if military dwarfs take note of the quality of the spear that's used to poke them, so the value may be wasted.

"Urist McHoleinthegut has been ecstatic lately. He has been stabbed with a legendary spear lately."

I would be a happy man if this was in the game.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33437 on: March 08, 2014, 04:24:25 am »

Forgotten beast shows up.
All of my cats now have both their front paws rotten.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33438 on: March 08, 2014, 12:03:26 pm »

I just started checking out MW mod. Awesome, incredibly awesome.
But more awesome is my civ and my fort: Civ "Net of Chaos", whose symbol is "An image of two deaths", Fort name "Malignsleeved", one of the drakes in my fort: "Malignwinged".
No evil people in the fort though, just a lot of very skilled cooks that make incredibly good Plump Helmet Man meat and wine meals that are in the value range of 3k-20k :D

Perhaps I should make a LOT of fire mages and just kill everyone :D

Cheers

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33439 on: March 08, 2014, 12:29:16 pm »

My pop just dropped from 202 to 23 due to a huge siege with lots of crossbowmans.
My baron got upper spine damage, but he is a vampire, so he Cannot breath for 3 months already. :)
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33440 on: March 08, 2014, 02:49:42 pm »

Year 4 of Drunkentomes. An army of goblins have besieged us before the cages in the welcome center were fully installed. However, the trap corridor was fully active. The bridges guarding the entrance to the waiting room were closed in order to deny the trolls from destroying the hatches and the majority of the besieging force went into the cage corridor. The lucky ones encountered a cage. The unlucky ones continued on their way, thinking that the path was clear. We waited until their so called "law-giver" was well past the entrance. Then we sprung our trap. All the entrances to the welcome center slammed shut and the floodgate protected behind a fortification opened, allowing water to pour into the welcome center drowning the goblins unlucky enough to not find an empty cage. All drowned except the few goblins who hadn't yet reached the entrance. Those goblins then fled, breaking the siege. However, the "law-giver" didn't drown confirming our suspicions that the creature was really a demon. Since that demon was capable of throwing webs, we spent a bit of time (while it spent time destroying the hatch covers we protected from the trolls) in digging a web collection center. Once the core of the new facility was complete, we dug a connection to the cage corridor and baited the facility with a door. The foolish creature went for the bait and is now trapped, hopefully to spend the rest of its life providing us with clothing. But if worse comes to worse, the spike trap corridor we're currently building can easily empty the new facility to be used by a new occupant. We're hopeful of encountering and trapping a giant cave spider for the better quality of cloth.

Meanwhile, the gates have been opened and we're in the process of replacing the destroyed hatch covers. And we just got a new wave of migrants to help with the refurbishment.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33441 on: March 08, 2014, 03:01:26 pm »

Still the first year of my new fortress, and I have just begun my metal-industry. The site has several surface deposits of native gold and tetrahedrite, so I've already smelted several bars of copper, gold, electrum, and black bronze. Next on my agenda is rose gold.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33442 on: March 08, 2014, 03:30:54 pm »

Apparently my only carpenter dwarf somehow (not the only carpenter SKILLED dwarf, just the only one with the custom profession name) got hit by a spinning log while clearing trees out of an underground pool that I'm in the middle of draining back out after flushing the water from the second cavern level down to the third.

Now I've gotta finish draining the pool and retrieve the corpse.

I also need to reassign dwarves to professions as the professions (the custom ones in DFhack) have dwindled due to dwarves dying of old age and various incidents, mostly old age. Probably a general reshuffling.

Also, the second cavern level is completely dead of wandering wildlife, except for maybe the occasional pond grabber, so I decided to drain out that 80% water filled cavern that annoyed me so much with FBs getting lost with their pathing in it and claim it. Cavern is still drying out, but the peak of the flood is over.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:32:29 pm by smjjames »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33443 on: March 08, 2014, 07:58:54 pm »

there's a giant cockatoo FB on the third cavern and it has webs. It's currently having trouble with pathfinding dancing while I send my dwarves up to the upper layers.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33444 on: March 08, 2014, 08:18:11 pm »

Gack.
The main functionality is sorted out, but the starter sequence is too narrow, so carts happily entangle and mess each other up on the return. Gotta redesign this part, fortunately it's about the smallest module, but it still sucks.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33445 on: March 09, 2014, 03:21:39 am »

I got made a barony for the first time. No clue why, this fort isn't much different from the last ten.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33446 on: March 09, 2014, 03:27:15 am »

I got made a barony for the first time. No clue why, this fort isn't much different from the last ten.
There is a bug which reproduces for me in most fortresses: you won't get a barony unless diplomat meets with mayor only after the caravan left the map.
It's mildly depressing.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33447 on: March 09, 2014, 05:09:54 am »

I set up a barrow for babies and children in my fortress, but somehow some of them do not stay inside (I checked 4 times!).
So the bad thing happens to bad children and one of them was kidnaped!
Fortunately the guards were able to rescue him, but somehow the kid got badly injured...
He will need a crutch to move all his life and he has sensory nerve damage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Poor kid.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33448 on: March 09, 2014, 05:13:10 am »

Poor kid.
A good lesson on that if you are <12 you should listen to what the grown-ups say.
From time to time, I hope that could happen IRL.
It's mildly depressing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33449 on: March 09, 2014, 10:47:42 am »

I set up a barrow for babies and children in my fortress, but somehow some of them do not stay inside (I checked 4 times!).
So the bad thing happens to bad children and one of them was kidnaped!
Fortunately the guards were able to rescue him, but somehow the kid got badly injured...
He will need a crutch to move all his life and he has sensory nerve damage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Poor kid.

Sensory nerve damage doesn't hinder movement, so, unless the kid has motor nerve damage, he'll lose the crutch once the injuries heal.
Pages: 1 ... 2228 2229 [2230] 2231 2232 ... 3842