Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2219 2220 [2221] 2222 2223 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095778 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33300 on: February 26, 2014, 05:13:58 pm »

The problem here is that your soldiers decided to upgrade their equipment on the fly using pieces of either: A, the seige's equipment; or B, freshly made equipment.  For the survival of your dwarves go to the orders menu and set all death items to FORBIDDEN, and do not create arms or armor during an alert.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33301 on: February 26, 2014, 05:20:25 pm »

And if you can, make sure all your armor and weapons you created are worth more than the goblinite shipment pieces, for dwarves are greedy and like to equip the most valuable armor pieces regardless of quality or material.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33302 on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:52 pm »

I manually designate their equipment to avoid that. But guess they still never take all of the pieces and decide they could use that boot in the middle of the battle, even if I station them regularly to avoid such situations....

Also, any idea why ALL of my dwarfs haul stuff, instead of only the ones with that job enabled in dwarf therapist? I now see my doctor hauling stuff without any hauling jobs enabled, same for my soldiers...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33303 on: February 26, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »

Hauling is twitchy, you can't actually shut of certain hauling jobs due to the need for dwaves to eat and drink for instance.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33304 on: February 26, 2014, 06:20:36 pm »

they have thousands of food and drink at the fort...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33305 on: February 26, 2014, 06:30:31 pm »

In order for the dwarf to eat it must take a hauling job for the food item, same for equipping clothes, armor, weapons, drinking and so forth, it's simply how the engine handles the action.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33306 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:33 am »

@fortdayweekend Say, what texture pack are you using, looks nicer than the one I'm using now...

It's Obsidian. I've never used any other tileset but it seems to do the job. I like how it makes it easy to designate types of plant for gathering.

Actually, that's rather appropriate. Wet the veil in water & put it on before charging into the flames, and it will help keep the smoke from getting into your eyes, lungs, and beard.

In any other game you'd be taking the piss. But in DF that might actually work..
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33307 on: February 27, 2014, 08:10:02 am »

I restarted the game because I disliked the design of my fortress and I saw a bathhouses'video on youtube.
I want one now or be ble to craft individual bathtub!  :'(

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33308 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:06 am »

City Laborfords, Early Winter 238; 184 dwarves

I can't fleeping read numbers some days. 2 million dwarfbucks? MEH. It was 21 million. And now it's higher, because legendary weapon and armorsmiths forging away.

You have plants that aren't booze yet? What are you, some kind of elf?

Thank you for reminding me that I really need to make more stills.

... Or rather, more rock pots. -sigh- Bloody dwarves.
I know, right? Why can't they consume drinks as they're being distilled like normal people.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33309 on: February 27, 2014, 11:18:39 am »

City Laborfords, Early Winter 238; 184 dwarves

I can't fleeping read numbers some days. 2 million dwarfbucks? MEH. It was 21 million. And now it's higher, because legendary weapon and armorsmiths forging away.

You have plants that aren't booze yet? What are you, some kind of elf?

Thank you for reminding me that I really need to make more stills.

... Or rather, more rock pots. -sigh- Bloody dwarves.
I know, right? Why can't they consume drinks as they're being distilled like normal people.

What actually appears to be the problem is that they're not recognizing a lot of the plants as available for being distilled. I have craptons of all the distillable plants, but are they using them?? NO!

Also, copious quantities of shenanigans from yesterday! Starting from when I decided to note Laborfords' activities while the forum was down, and then continuing until I got tired and went to bed. Spoilered so people who don't want to read my excessive wordiness don't have to scroll. No pictures because I couldn't be arsed to take any during my flailing about.

City Laborfords, Late Spring to Early Winter 239; 184 beards

Spoiler: Other shenanigans. (click to show/hide)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33310 on: February 27, 2014, 11:55:14 am »

Heh, with such food stocks, i'd be looking at ways to cut down the overhead instead of trying to brew more. On a rough estimate, you have enough booze for two years and enough solid food for ten. You could feed your dwarfs for over a year just on raw-edible plants (what's shown under "Plant" on the z-screen, other plants like longland grass and pig tails aren't even listed there). Other disturbances aside, you're probably growing plants faster than you can use them. I have fond memories of the above-ground fort where i eventually ended up dragging a few hundred "plant barrel"s to the trade post so the traders would relieve me of the 10 000+ longland grass that had piled up.

I spent the forum downtime perfecting my door-toggler: you pull a lever, and one door opens and another closes! They even do that _in the exact same tick_! Due to the pressure plate reset delay, that tick is ~115 steps after you pull the lever, but it's a perfectly synchronous state change, working with lever pulls in both directions. Since it's just another weird component, i attached it to this post, at the very bottom.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:00:31 pm by Larix »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33311 on: February 27, 2014, 02:06:23 pm »

Trying to figure out exactly how I want my fort idea to come to fruition.

Embarked on a natural cave that goes all the way to the first cavern, ending in a lake. A pillar of stone juts up from the otherwise flat plain, and a creek runs by in the south. A clown fort lies down in the third cavern.

Above ground, so far, the rocky outcrop has been surrounded by a wall and a pair of raising bridges, to turtle up when the nearby necromancers decide to stop in for a cup of sugar. The southern face has been carved into a sheer cliff face, and a tunnel will be cut into that for the main entrance. Im just but sure exactly what I want to do with this place besides this yet, so for now I'm waiting for inspiration.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33312 on: February 27, 2014, 02:54:19 pm »

I want to make a minecart goblin grinder, but am not entirely sure I could ever pull it off.
But the long and short of it is:

Code: [Select]
Ramps
Floor x Floor x-1
###.### #######
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
###.### #######
Bridges and Tracks
Floor x Floor x-1
###.### #######
##╥=╥## #╗╝#╣╝#
##╨=╨## #╔╠#╔╚#
###.### #######

Looking at the ramp order, this should work, but wouldn't be nearly as spectacular as you seem to expect. A cart only gains additional speed on a ramp if the ramp pushes it in the direction it's already going in:
- cart goes S-N, NE track ramp with wall to the east and floor (or another impulse ramp) to the north - cart goes faster.
- cart goes W-E and is supposed to round a corner on an impulse ramp; ramp is connected NE and provides acceleration to the north - cart loses all its W-E velocity, re-accelerates to the north as if from a standstill.

I'm not 100% certain that this is what's going on, but it best explains my findings: carts circulating in 2x2 circuits consisting of four impulse ramps seem to always remain under derail speed, while a single impulse ramp in a 2x3 circuit lined up like below, to the right, is enough to push a cart up to about 80k speed in a few rounds, well over derail speed.

Carts in the above grinder would still bowl passing goblins over and into the adjacent pit, where they'd be slowly ground to paste by a never-stopping cart, but you wouldn't get much gibs. And of course, you could simply work with 1x2 ramps, allowing you to pack it much tighter:

Code: [Select]

##▼═▼##     #▲▲#▲▲#     #══#══#        ╔╗     ╔╗
##▼═▼##     #▲▲#▲▲#     #══#══#        ║▲#    ║╚#
##▼═▼##     #▲▲#▲▲#     #══#══#        ╚╝     ╚╝
##▼═▼##     #▲▲#▲▲#     #══#══#

above      below     track on ramps   minimal loop with one impulse ramp, guaranteed derail

Straight ramps right next to each other already provide reliable perpetual-motion lift, no need to mess around with the crummy impulse ramp carving schemes. The above would house the same four minecarts, on a mere four lines, greatly reducing the risk of goblins slipping through.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33313 on: February 27, 2014, 08:05:35 pm »

Many many moons ago I asked for advice on making a semi-surface Fortress.  The idea being that it would be a three tier society.  The lower class, the Surface Dwellers would live mostly on the surface.  The Middle Class, Stone Class, would live in some comfort, underground.  And the upper class, the Nobles or those assigned as Nobles, would live deep down away from all the fuss and noise.   :D

Well, while silent on the forums, I have continued to work on the project while lurking here, picking up tips and ideas.

So, just to show you how well it is coming along...
The outside dwellings, workshops, drawbridges, moots, and walls.  Notice the roads and fields.  War dogs have been leashed next to all the entry points.
The walls are accessible via ramps.  So my military can rain death down onto invaders.
There are also two diners and a tavern.  We also have some bee hives, but there are not shown below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because I had to dig channels to fill the moots, the land has been cut up, creating choke points.  But it also is a good area for fishing and hunting.  In fact making bolts is becoming as important as brewing booze.

The main fairway into the Fortress has not changed much since the last image I made of it.
Not sure where the blood came from.  Notice the beds in the pig pen for any overflow of the lower class.
Of course, the well is always popular.

Barracks for training, with the hospital and you can see the upper part of what I think of as a Great Hall (but nobody seems to spend a lot of time there unless they want to use the unclaimed tables to eat).

The Stone area has become very crowded and many bedrooms had to be made on simpler designs, using fewer doors.  Or no doors.  Also a few dining areas were spread around so people could have places to seat and eat without too much crowding.  You can also see the 'jail' (which is on this level but not linked to the rest of it) and the lower part of the Great Hall.

I also have a place for the goats and sheep.  The fact that it was placed below the Stone Class and above the Nobles was just an accident. 

Of course, we have the quarters for the Nobles.
Two of which are vampires.  Empty rooms have already been dug out and are being worked on.

There are more workshops, mines, burial chambers, tombs, storage areas, and a extra large living area which is being worked on for our future King, once we become a Capital.  But I didn't wish to bore you.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  By bringing in the livestock I have broken some of the rules - it means the Surface Class has to come inside to tend the animals and collect them for the butcher when the time comes.  But I was thinking more about protection from invaders and wild animals.

And we've had a threat from the Elves....what ever all the trees we keep cutting down by accident.   ;D

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33314 on: February 27, 2014, 11:38:15 pm »

I settled near some dark towers, inhabited by goblin filth. We dug into the nearby hills, and are mining out as much marble as possible. The idea? An above ground settlement, walled off with a moat, and a large white marble tower standing in defiance of the goblins.
Pages: 1 ... 2219 2220 [2221] 2222 2223 ... 3842