Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2217 2218 [2219] 2220 2221 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095571 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33270 on: February 25, 2014, 07:38:29 am »

^According to my wiki-fu, chausses were sort of knee-high stockings made of mail.

There are two ways to achieve beard/artefact equality, and one would take _very_ long; i think you can expect about three artefacts per year. Once you go past 100, you might even run into the "revealed squares" limit. Blamelesscloister's numbers after 31 years are 94 beards, 78 mood-generated artefacts and 6 named items.

That'd be another way to boost artefact numbers - have a large military, set them up so that they get many item uses (constant training, constant battle), swap out named items for something new and let them go about naming.

I gave up on my "minecart stack memory" plans, which proved a good idea - there are some weirdnesses at work which prevent it from working at all the way i built it. Main problem was that carts started taking dozens of turns to fall onto a stack and could get wedged in place in the open air above a stack by following cart-propelled carts. Might be worth some later looking into, because stacks _could_ be a valid way to store fixed graphic data that could just get cycled through the display. I ran out of place for further tinkering in that fort and shelved it.

On the whole, my fiddling with a machine-/microcode teaching program was more interesting. For maximum insanity, i eventually ventured to build a factorial calculation programme that used as operations only "increase", "decrease", "test" (for zero, if true, skip next instruction), "jump" (unconditional) and "halt". Yeah, the program became kind of large. Every "copy the content of register a to register b" turned into thirteen lines of machine code and executed as eleven operations for every bit of information copied. I ended up with something between 80 and 90 lines, which'd overtax the typical architecture that'd work with such a restricted instruction set. And the program executed at about ten instructions per second, so getting done with the big test, 7!, took several hours of unsupervised running. At least i got rid of the final "multiply by one" step, which by itself would have more than doubled the time consumption. An optimised dwarven computer might conceivably be able to run three full instructions per day, ~1100 per year; my program should be able to calculate 5! in two and a half years, improvements for runtime efficiency could possibly lower it to two years flat. This could be done with a four-instruction computer (realising "halt" as "jump to last memory location" or somesuch) with seven-bit adress space. Someone wanna build it? Anybody?

Yeah, i think a bigger instruction set might be the better idea; if multiply or at least bit-shift were available, the number of operations would just melt away.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33271 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:04 am »

Don't stop the fort until you get an artifact thong. Also, did you really wait until the fort was, like, eighty years old to start forming a military?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33272 on: February 25, 2014, 07:48:03 am »

Don't stop the fort until you get an artifact thong. Also, did you really wait until the fort was, like, eighty years old to start forming a military?

37 years and 3 months. My defense is copious quantities of deathtraps.

City Laborfords, Late Spring 238; 184 beards; Under Siege

Humans and their horses. Sure, whatever. Taste repeating spikes, n00bs.

Edit, 12th Hematite:

Magma! Terrible for my FPS, but hilarious when it results in ‼siegers‼. Also, I'm clearing out the ☼CLT☼ in my smelters by carpeting the first cavern in bar stockpiles and... this is gonna take a while. Ehehe.

24th Hematite:

'Melbil Gulfchannel', Miner is taken by a fey mood!

He's one of my starting seven. I cannot let him fail this mood.

1st Malachite: 3 obsidian rocks, 1 point cut honey beryl, 1 piece of black bear leather, 2 pieces of pig tail fiber cloth, 1 rough morion, 1 marquise cut indigo tourmaline, and a single stack [12] of Stray Wolf bone. Make something I don't have to put in a display case, Melbil!

Oh, and according to Dwarf Therapist he's got 109,285xp in Mining. Raw level 42.

(He made a coffin.)

18th Galena:

I saw my FPS drop to 7. SEVEN.  S E V E N .  Goddamn *sieges*. Today it's goblins.

12th Sandstone: Oh my god, Matriarch Equaledrazors, you ninnyhammer, you were WORKING IN A MAGMA FORGE WHEN YOU WERE HIT WITH YOUR MOOD WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GRAB THE NEXT ONE OVER??

On the other hand, dwarven quirkiness is a minor issue when I'm about to get a legendary weaponsmith.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:54:30 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33273 on: February 25, 2014, 01:36:29 pm »

How can you destroy that masterful ☼CLUTTER☼ ? The furnace operators will be very sad.

The good thing about miner moods is that for item purposes, it's a masonry mood (it just gives the experience to mining, just like weaver moods produce clothing and give weaving experience), so no godawful stone crafts from these. It's engravers that make a stupid rock craft.

Hmm, seems i still haven't made this world cold enough. There are some corners where stuff on the surface very, very slowly decays, but nothing like the killer embarks i had where the wagon and all barrels shattered the moment i unpaused. Back to the worldgenning board.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33274 on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:32 pm »

When my workshops get cluttered I just forbid them and build new ones adjacent to them.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33275 on: February 25, 2014, 02:09:41 pm »

How can you destroy that masterful ☼CLUTTER☼ ? The furnace operators will be very sad.

Hell no. I need them to be able to melt items at something approximating a reasonable pace; it's the only way I'm getting steel and silver on this map. (Two different iron ores, one of which is magnetite! Bituminous coal! AND NO FRAKKING FLUX)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33276 on: February 25, 2014, 02:25:23 pm »

One of my dwarfs was moving a dead one to a tomb when I suddenly get the message: "cancel place item in tomb, item misplaced" !!!! How can that dude misplace a body?! How?! I had to build a memorial slab to calm down the ghost. I think any1 would be enraged enough to return from the dead and haunt the dude who "misplaced" their body!

Later, my vampire mayoress got depressed because her clothes had rotten away and the depressed militia commander had also yelled at her for no reason at all(combat had been quite hard on it lately) so I let her out of her office to equip some armor, but after tantruming several times she refused to put on the entire armor set then ignored all orders and went to suck the blood of the legend of the fortress, Zon Ablelurit, the legendary artifact spear-wielding dwarf who had lost a leg and suffered nerve damage to the other but he still moved faster than many dwarfs and never stopped doing drills! RiP Zon! I was so sad about that, but I didn't load, instead since I had the entire squad witness the killing of Zon by the mayor and I let justice be done, which was just a minor beating by the captain of the guard. Fortunately a siege happened at that time and the only casualty was a the mayor who had both his legs ripped off by a war jabberer. Ironically, the next elected mayor was ANOTHER FREAKING VAMPIRE!!! Fortunately, this one doesn't kill anyone when he's feeding, he just has them suffer a major blood loss, so I let him be.

The danger room works great and I successfully defended against two sieges, one with just two squads of goblins and the second one with a whole freaking army, cave dragons, bowmen and such. Unfortunately, while on the first one only the evil mayoress got whacked, on the 2nd one I lost a couple of legendary fighters, to nothing other than slipping off the bridge in the river while fighting some war jabberers! I will have to demolish that bridge, I had just built it for tree cutting...sigh....
Any way to train swimming?

As a side note, I seem to get hidden migrants...I got at least 10-12 new dwarfs during and after the sieges with NO messages at all!
And one of my wounded soldiers lying on the battlefield got possessed and crawled all the way to a metalsmith's forge....

Cheers

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33277 on: February 25, 2014, 08:00:19 pm »

The Werezebra Olon Fikodsefol has come!  A large zebra twisted... yeah yeah... Now you will know why you fear the night.

Overfiend: Really?  I'm horrified.  Urist, start the stopwatch.
Urist: Go!
OF: STOP!  Time?
Urist: 12 seconds.
OF: Bah, the Werebull did better, he survived the surface for 40 seconds.
Urist: The bull DID come in at a different corner than the pileup of pathing errors down in the far side of the embark, though, m'lord.
OF: True, Urist.  True.  Well, briefly entertaining, I suppose.  Back to work now.
Urist: Yes, Sir!

Urist: Um, sir?
OF: Yes?
Urist: Remember when we sacrificed Nils to release the forgotten beasts trapped by trees near the edge against our walls in the first cavern layer?  The ones to help Sikel break the door down that he mispositioned for?
OF: Yes.  The first little rugrat in this fort who managed to create a grudge.  Go on.
Urist: Well, one of them caught up with Sikel, in the FB trap.  They're standing on each other.  Neither of them are breaking it down now.  The others aren't pathing.
OF facepalms.... : Thank you... Urist... back to work...

EDIT:
Some time later:
Urist: Ummm... Overfiend?
OF: What now...?
Urist: Sahthet just joined Osun and Sikel in their single square breakdance party.  None of them are breaking the door down now.
OF double facepalms: Urist... just ignore them for now.  We don't have enough dwarves for a suicide miner to dig them out.
Urist: Yes sir.
OF: Sikel... one of these days... one of these days... BAM, POW, TO THE MOON...

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33278 on: February 25, 2014, 08:23:21 pm »

Hamlet Pricetrades, Late Spring 204; 70 beards

... Vucar Holymanor is... officially a buggy little girl.

Spoiler: The shit. (click to show/hide)

Is that why she managed to distract the goblins so effectively? Because she technically isn't born yet?

Savegame. I should really report this bug, but I don't know what I should report it as...
Please elaborate on the buggy baby. Has she actually been born yet? first of all. Also, it is good to see that someone other than myself turns on female beards.

Her supposed birthday is 22nd Galena 204, but she arrived in the migrant wave in the mid-Summer of 203. It's now 26th Felsite 205 (in my save, not the uploaded one).  She is appearing as 1 year old and a child. She has an older brother born in 200, and two younger brothers born on 23 Felsite 204 and 24th Obsidian 204.

Also, how good is an artifact black bronze battle axe?
Your first screenshot of her has her at one years old. Your second screenshot has her at negative 100 days.

So the bug seems to be that her birthday changed after she was born.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33279 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:17 pm »

Sounds like a growthfix bug.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33280 on: February 25, 2014, 09:12:18 pm »

Oh Armok, why am I doing this?

So I went to test out some mods and found myself playing as elves. I didn't realize this until I embarked, since I pressed play now instead of setting up an embark profile.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, I have a few elven buildings, so I may as well try this out to make sure it works. And hey, at least I started with grizzly bears. If it weren't for the blood rain, this wouldn't be such a bad embark.

So I set up some basic elven workshops.

I'll need more than just free wood and a pair of guard bears, of course, so I sent out an elf to tame some of the wandering boars nearby.

That's all I got for now.

E: Despite my best efforts, they all went mad.

Hippy-herding is harder than I thought. Then again, they didn't really have anywhere to go to avoid the rain.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:11:22 pm by BlackFlyme »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33281 on: February 25, 2014, 10:16:56 pm »

12th Sandstone: Oh my god, Matriarch Equaledrazors, you ninnyhammer, you were WORKING IN A MAGMA FORGE WHEN YOU WERE HIT WITH YOUR MOOD WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GRAB THE NEXT ONE OVER??

On the other hand, dwarven quirkiness is a minor issue when I'm about to get a legendary weaponsmith.

Yeah, it's pretty silly that they'll choose the next workshop over when they were in one when the mood hit. Though sometimes they will claim the one that they are in.

Also, setting a workshop to be specifically only be used by certain dwarves doesn't stop a moody dwarf from claiming it and forbidding the workshop after it's claimed doesn't make the dwarf move elsewhere or force the mood to cancel. Had my strand extractors work get put on hold for a bit while I let a moody dwarf who claimed that workshop fail the mood.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33282 on: February 25, 2014, 10:49:30 pm »

I made a new world and started a fort at the base of a volcano, with a river nearby. Currently trying to figure out how to harness the river's water. I dug a channel and have water available down in my fort, but it drains. so. *slowly*. It will take forever to get water from this thing.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33283 on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:26 pm »

The minecart-powered goblin exploder works. I read that _really_ fast carts can actually make stuff "blow apart", so now that i fiddled with impulse ramps a bit, that was the next step. Layout is rather flaky but stuff does explode.

Of course i did the unthinkable and tested the thing on - no, not forcefully drafted peasants. Not a dozen helpless dwarven babies. Not even an unsuspecting kitten. I tested it on goblins. Heresy, i know.

I'm as yet undecided how to cycle the cart back into the loop without turning that into a bypass option. A sideways loop with a one-tile jump can easily get clogged, stopping the cart or dumping it in the hole. The basic accelerator and release mechanism is simplicity itself:

Code: [Select]
.║D
#╔╗#   #╔╗#
#╗╚#   #▲▲#
#╗╚#   #▲▲#
#╗╚#   #▲▲#
#╚╝#   #╚╝#
#D##   #D##

All ramps are impulse ramps. I think only one side really needs to have ramps, the other could be flat floor. But i built it all on soil, so i had to build every tile anyway, and ramps are no more expensive than ordinary built track. I could have used a 3x1 bridge instead of one of the columns of ramps.

The cart is thrown into the loop from the north and cycles counter-clockwise. The outside is to the south. A goblin who opens the door gets hit and blown apart by a relativistic minecart. No triggers, no mechanisms, just a hapless intruder opening a derail path over itself. The door to the northeast is there to allow safely deactivating the trap (preferably via lever), so dwarfs can go in and collect goblin pieces, clean up the circuit or just walk through. I'm thinking on how to
1. make the most of the speeding cart - e.g. by having the door open into a nice long, straight corridor, so it can get a _lot_ of goblins to join the FUN and
2. cycle an activated cart back into the circuit so dwarfs don't need to go out into dangerous terrain to laboriously re-set it.

I hope i'll get to install such a thing in Charmcrafted. The potential for goblin mutilation _and_ utterly horrifying friendly fire is impressive.

A three-tile acceleration stretch seems to be required. A loop with one impulse ramp gets a cart to ~80k speed, one with two ramps achieves about 200k (not enough for reliable gibs), three ramps give something around 250k. The two goblins who took direct hits gave the proper "blows apart" message.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33284 on: February 26, 2014, 12:17:13 am »

I want to make a minecart goblin grinder, but am not entirely sure I could ever pull it off.
But the long and short of it is:

Code: [Select]
Ramps
Floor x Floor x-1
###.### #######
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
###.### #######
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
###.### #######
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
###.### #######
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
##▼.▼## #▲▲#▲▲#
###^### #######

Bridges and Tracks
Floor x Floor x-1
###.### #######
##╥=╥## #╗╝#╣╝#
##╨=╨## #╔╠#╔╚#
###.### #######
##╥=╥## #╗╝#╣╝#
##╨=╨## #╔╠#╔╚#
###.### #######
##╥=╥## #╗╝#╣╝#
##╨=╨## #╔╠#╔╚#
###.### #######
##╥=╥## #╗╝#╣╝#
##╨=╨## #╔╠#╔╚#
###^### #######
The bridges are on top of the ramps, sealing the carts inside.
Bridges down: Safe for dwarves to walk through, carts keep accelerating to crazy levels.
Bridges up: A goblin has walked on the trigger. Or more likely a kobold. Anywho, the carts are released at ludicrous speed, and turn the goblin into green-and-red gravy.

This one is just a theory, though.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2217 2218 [2219] 2220 2221 ... 3842