Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2191 2192 [2193] 2194 2195 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095970 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32880 on: February 04, 2014, 02:32:07 am »

I got sick of having a hundred useless kids and sent all but the one that had mooded a while ago to the caverns.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32881 on: February 04, 2014, 06:23:02 am »

So a werewolf attacked my fort, and for once didn't immediately turn into a naked person and run away. After having half the population slaughtered and half of the rest turned I decided the fort was lost, sealed everyone inside and hit the self-destruct. Got bored waiting for everyone to drown, so I abandoned the fort and started another.

The first immigrant wave in the new fort had a several dwarves from the previous fort. One instantly went insane, while another instantly went berserk. I started humming some Benny Hill music as he chased a farmer around the map while my only solder chased him. This went on for a long time until the soldier finally caught up and cut off his head.

Things have finally started calming down now, but I'm not 100% that none of the immigrants were among the infected from the previous fort...

In between this I also had a fun adventurer session where I killed a false god, learned necromany, went on a rampage across the land and then retired in a nice little hamlet of a neighboring civilization.

LionelR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32882 on: February 04, 2014, 11:21:33 am »

The first squad leader was appointed and he has 1 soldier in his squad.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32883 on: February 04, 2014, 11:26:15 am »

Faqua the FB has come! A great one eyed, black haired weasel, beware it's poisonous vapors!

Eep! *closes all cavern entrances (been having them open in hopes of capturing a GCS)*

Going to send my marksdwarves to the station down there and am pitting some animals.

Also, mountain goats have showed up and a DFhack check shows a sizeable population of peregrine falcons. Maybe I should set up a rookery.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:28:07 am by smjjames »

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32884 on: February 04, 2014, 12:04:58 pm »

Good luck fighting the one eyed wonder weasel, james.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32885 on: February 04, 2014, 12:08:10 pm »

Good luck fighting the one eyed wonder weasel, james.

I have this platform set up above the cavern entrance there which I stationed the marksdwarves at. They had no problems killing it and the vapors didn't reach them.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32886 on: February 04, 2014, 12:16:15 pm »

I have this platform set up above the cavern entrance there which I stationed the marksdwarves at. They had no problems killing it and the vapors didn't reach them.

Well done, james!  I remember reading about people having trouble getting marksdwarves to stand next to fortifications on platforms before.  I've kept my marksdwarves on 1-tile wide ramparts, but a platform would be nice.  What does yours look like?

Relicshield, pop. 190, Late Winter of 357 (Year 106)

The fortress has a long and proud tradition of females serving in the military.  From 2nd Commander Olivine of the Original Seven to current Commander Dishmab, their contributions have been vital to the success of the Mountainhome.  However, the recent baby boom has necessitated some changes in policy. 

Normally Relicshield has about 2-7 children at any given point.  Over the past year, though, over 20 children have been born, bringing the current total to 28.  The number and sheer frequency of dwarves taking maternity leave was disruptive to military scheduling and planning.  The order for reservists to patrol the walls was even forgotten amongst the spree of new births, allowing the Evils of Spray to push further than normal into the trade tunnels.

King Urist II and Mayor Mosus II Lanterngaze-Anguishedpages discussed possible changes with input from the citizenry at large.  It wasn't long before a satisfactory compromise was struck.  Henceforth, married dwarfettes are no longer eligible for military or reservist duty.  However, unmarried females and widows remain more than welcome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32887 on: February 04, 2014, 12:41:53 pm »

Well done, james!  I remember reading about people having trouble getting marksdwarves to stand next to fortifications on platforms before.  I've kept my marksdwarves on 1-tile wide ramparts, but a platform would be nice.  What does yours look like?

They aren't true platforms with an open wall, I just like calling them platforms, but the key here is the use of burrows and alerts.

The basic layout is a 1 tile wide corridor with fortifications (sometimes carved, sometimes built) that has the fortifications aligned with the entrance and one or two (sometimes 3) z levels above the entrance and a channeled out open space in the rock in front of the fortifications up to 18 blocks away from the fortifications. Unless the cavern itself provides the open space.

I also have a drop chute (covered by a hatch) above the platform so I can drop down bait.

The exact shape can vary, and I did an oval shaped one in one fort.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32888 on: February 04, 2014, 01:43:25 pm »

I had a lot of ‼FUN‼ last night.

First, there was a goblin siege. A marksdwarf got shot and killed, and some pets also died. No tantrumming that I saw, but there was some unhappiness among his friends. Then came a mysterious fire in an aboveground meeting area. Several dwarves were killed, and that's when the real shit hit the fan. The dwarves had a lot of free time, so they got to know each other well, and those deaths made a lot of dwarves very unhappy and even miserable. Tantrums started flying, dwarves were murdered, and I wrongfully accused a dead animal and a dwarf as the murderers of the first couple dwarves. It went down hill from there, and the entire population helped turn the fortress into their own little slice of hell. A lot of dwarves went berserk and the guardsmen were handing out beatings left and right. Must have been thirty or more dwarves that went melancholy or SRM. I tried locking a lot of them, and some of the berserkers, in their bedrooms or hospital rooms, but by that point the damage had already been done. And somehow the dwarves became aware of one anothers' deaths from behind locked doors several times. No idea what was up with that.

So far, the population dropped from ~135 to ~65, and there are plenty of wackjobs waiting to starve to death, and as many dwarves waiting to lose their own minds. I spotted a few dwarves that aren't currently unhappy, though, so I guess there's still hope.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32889 on: February 04, 2014, 01:57:56 pm »

So far, the population dropped from ~135 to ~65, and there are plenty of wackjobs waiting to starve to death, and as many dwarves waiting to lose their own minds. I spotted a few dwarves that aren't currently unhappy, though, so I guess there's still hope.

There's definitely still hope.  Do you have enough non-berserk dwarves to keep up with booze, food, and coffin production? 

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32890 on: February 04, 2014, 02:00:25 pm »

There's definitely still hope.  Do you have enough non-berserk dwarves to keep up with booze, food, and coffin production?

Coffins?!  BAH!  Burn 'em and slab 'em!   ;)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32891 on: February 04, 2014, 02:06:52 pm »

Things I've learned:

-Stone armour = not substantial enough to block arrows.
-Bone armour, ditto.
-"Competent" is not "good" when it comes to weapon skills /dodging.
-Always link up your bridges.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32892 on: February 04, 2014, 02:11:36 pm »

Coffins?!  BAH!  Burn 'em and slab 'em!   ;)
Some of us happen to like giving dwarves a proper burial if we can help it. Besides, buildin' a big proper catacomb/crypt can give hordes of idlers something to do in between disasters.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32893 on: February 04, 2014, 02:32:31 pm »

-Stone armour = not substantial enough to block arrows.
-Bone armour, ditto.

Zivilin conducted a study on bolts vs. armor.  It turns out that "metal bolts (except for candy) are universally good against all types of armored and unarmored opponents." Afaik, arrows perform the same way.  Against ranged troops, high shield and dodge skills help more than armor.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32894 on: February 04, 2014, 03:03:02 pm »

In good ol' Masterwork, the Fortress of (one of those awesome ones I blundered into in the name generator,) Armoredstalkers has been founded by a brave band of dwarves who called their embark group The Joyous Steel. Lead by the Smith Guild member Zoden Scratchcloistered, they have set out to get away from the crippling overpopulation of the homelands. The group was also fortunate to have a Healer's Guild member join them, giving them a solid physician right out the gate as well as Zoden's Smithing skills. There's also Ashmon Pebblepoints the Alchemist, three miners: Doshet Walkedcopper, Degel Brashmachines, and Kumil Quakeflaxed, and Kugik Beddedartifacts joined as well to lead the currently nonexistent militia.

Mercifully our enemies are few. The mighty dwarven nation of The Fiery Demons has been locked in near constant warfare and this has lead to them controlling the whole of the east mountains as well as a portion of the separate southern mountains. The beakwolves, stranglers, goblins, ferric elves, and unbelievably even the mighty frost giants being defeated soundly in battle after battle against human and dwarven armies while orcs crushed one warlock tyranny and the dwarves the other. This leaves only orcs, automatons, and an odd race of town-dwelling kobolds as foes.

But only time will tell if these enemies will crumple against our walls or begin a reverse run of fortune full of horror and mayhem among the mighty dwarven kingdom.
Pages: 1 ... 2191 2192 [2193] 2194 2195 ... 3842