Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2190 2191 [2192] 2193 2194 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096035 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32865 on: February 03, 2014, 03:25:24 pm »

I actually manage the cat population pretty well by making sure there is only one female cat 'active'. I did end up with 6 or 8 cats adopting one dwarf, but he later died (either of old age or a failed mood, I forget) and the cats haven't adopted any.

I got a female peregrine falcon recently, so I'm thinking of changing over to falcons for vermin control. Although the vermin population within the fort itself is almost nonexistent.

Probably should pasture the female somewhere to keep her from getting killed by goblins. I'll have to check the region pops when I get home, but I haven't seen any wild ones.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32866 on: February 03, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »

my fat stocks are way high now, at least over 9000, so i've been designating mass dumpings.

even with each dwarf hauling it'll take a long ass time to get sorted.

my fort's been sieged again!, haven't had consecutive sieges in years so this was a pleasant surprise. more sieges means I can get more soldiers for my "mercenary" army against the HFS.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32867 on: February 03, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »

my fat stocks are way high now, at least over 9000, so i've been designating mass dumpings.

No, you fool, render it into tallow and make lye from ash and make soap! It'll slightly increase your dwarves' life expectancies!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32868 on: February 03, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »

No, you fool, render it into tallow and make lye from ash and make soap! It'll slightly increase your dwarves' life expectancies!

This is not the dwarven way.   Carefully place stockpiles to contain the fat around the border of your embark... then light it on fire.

Soap from anything besides a Forgotten Beast or Rock Nut Oil is far too simple to create, and is an embarassment to all dwarves.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32869 on: February 03, 2014, 05:25:48 pm »

So, a towering quadruped composed of siliceous ooze (beware its webs!) showed up in the caverns. I didn't even know that material existed in this game.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32870 on: February 03, 2014, 05:35:00 pm »

my fort's been sieged again!, haven't had consecutive sieges in years so this was a pleasant surprise. more sieges means I can get more soldiers for my "mercenary" army against the HFS.

I have been wondering, if you let the goblins keep their gear, will they fight the HFS? I'm thinking of fighting the HFS directly rather than use a dwarven checkerboard. I have the dwarfpower to make a platoon of marksdwarves and several squads of melee. It's going to kill the FPS on my old computer, so it'll probably be on the new one.

It'll take time to train up the army and I already have a vampire who is a master engraver now. I have ideas in mind for preparation and the gauntlet.

So, a towering quadruped composed of siliceous ooze (beware its webs!) showed up in the caverns. I didn't even know that material existed in this game.

It's one of the soil types in the game and is only found on the ocean floor (not sure if deep ocean only), so it's not typically encountered.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32871 on: February 03, 2014, 05:46:25 pm »

Goblins fight FBs, why wouldn't they fight the HFS?

I also realized that I have way too much plants in the my fort. idk how 2000 whip vines will last a fort of 208, but I'm shutting down all farms until further notice.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32872 on: February 03, 2014, 06:00:16 pm »

From this conversation I'm now tempted to figure out a way to get all of the FB's invading FurnaceClans down near the Circus, then open the clown car with a sacraficial miner.  Then let them mingle.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32873 on: February 03, 2014, 06:14:08 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 189, Late Winter of 357 (Year 106)
Most of the Mountainhome's citizens are happy enough with a basic outfit of tunic, trousers, and shoes.  Not so for little Zon II Anguishedpages.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's unclear how he managed to get a hold of the items normally tossed into the dump after a siege, since the kindergarten burrow is far from the front lines.  Perhaps he made a mad dash for the clothes while while released from the burrow temporarily for a few mood.

From this conversation I'm now tempted to figure out a way to get all of the FB's invading FurnaceClans down near the Circus, then open the clown car with a sacraficial miner.  Then let them mingle.

I'd love to see that kind of battle! 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32874 on: February 03, 2014, 06:34:58 pm »

Let us know how that goes. Demons seem to be immune to each others syndromes though, as far as I know.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32875 on: February 03, 2014, 06:52:30 pm »

Demons seem to be immune to each others syndromes though, as far as I know.

They are. Loloksarek's White Banshees and Emerald Brutes can cause instant unconsciousness and long-term bleeding respectively, and the initial clusterfuck got about twenty demons covered in each with no side-effects.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32876 on: February 03, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »

Yeah, if they're immune to each others syndromes, I don't think they can be affected by FB syndromes. Which is what I was getting at.

As for FBs being affected by each others syndromes, I think they can be because I had a FB which swam in water absolutely contaminated by anothers secretions and it bled to death for no apparent reason.

Demons can still get hurt by each others deadly dust and while they ARE trapimmune, the ones that don't sling webs are themselves not webimmune.

Fort going ons:

I've boosted the number of GCS from 55 to 550, so hopefully they absolutely will spawn. Aside from FBs, nothing seems to be spawning in the second cavern level.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:29:50 pm by smjjames »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32877 on: February 03, 2014, 09:42:12 pm »

The most recent siege wasn't the biggest, but more goblins and trolls made their way into the trade tunnels than usual.  Cleaning up this mess is going to take a while :(.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32878 on: February 03, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »

I finally got a new laptop, so my FPS is up to 36 from about 13, so I can actually play in real time again, rather than set a few jobs and walk away. I'm going to turn the 3rd cavern into a giant lake with underwater domes. Why? I don't really know. I guess it's just something to keep me busy until the new release.

Spoiler: About halfway done (click to show/hide)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32879 on: February 03, 2014, 10:24:59 pm »

That's beautiful, itg!
Pages: 1 ... 2190 2191 [2192] 2193 2194 ... 3842