Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2148 2149 [2150] 2151 2152 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096101 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32235 on: January 16, 2014, 12:21:10 am »

One of my drakes died in the pasture. Thankfully dogs were nearby to rip up the duck zombie. This reminded me of the short lifespan of a fowl. So I took some ducks from my stockpile and gave them nest boxes. Also provided another nest box to the peahen, since I guess her Forbidden eggs will never grow (No, not those kind of forbidden eggs)

Magma still has to wait while I relocate to the 3rd cavern pasture, which is much closer to area L66. Still in the process of setting up a farm / waterworks, because I want to place the control levers above the livestock on the second floor. Double insurance.

Finally, I got an artifact quern and artifact coffer in the dining room. Still have plenty of mood supplies left.

Lydecker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32236 on: January 16, 2014, 04:32:59 am »

My current fort is entering it's 6th year. Over 180 dwarfs milling away, with only a handful of idlers. Boasting a fair military force of over 60, 40+  in melee squads and 20+ in marksdwarf squads, prospects for the future are good. Working hard at getting the fort fully independent, as it seems we only get the dwarven caravan in the autumn. Elves were seen once, guess they did not like the new forest clearing we made. The stone crafting was abandoned, as we have over 40 bins of trinkets for trading and that should last a decade. Leather and cloth are the only things really needed from traders anyway. Metal industry is thriving, without the need for magma. Coal is plenty, as well as iron, copper and gold.

Current emphasis is on stable food & drink supply and clothing industry. Somehow the drink stockpiles keep dwindling down, even though the farming, brewing and cooking industry employs over 40 dwarfs and the fields cover vast areas of the top levels! The 60+ children are clearly eating my dreams of making this fort independent... Clothing industry is another culprit, as pig tails are primarily used for clothing, not brewing drinks.

Military of this size makes breaking sieges easy as swatting flies. They come in to the gauntlet and simply die. Three quarters of the military is elite and all of them are using equipment made of steel, with occasional iron or copper. No danger rooms used, just plain old good training program. Two elite squads have now had their training toned down a bit, as a test to see if they could plant some crops on their spare time.

Next up is starting to look for caverns. The quarry is deep, it must have missed the first cavern already. The need for stone has passed, so it's good to just leave it as it is. Before caverns are breached, the fort needs to be secured. A series of airlocks and two separate cleansing waterfalls are planned for this.

This fort is set to endure.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32237 on: January 16, 2014, 06:02:39 am »

I took on the third siege in three seasons as well and they were promptly routed again. One dwarf lost - child of a marksdwarf took a close personal look at warfare and got a demonstration on how swords work. My "no lines of sight" architecture helps keeping soldiers alive by preventing them from being swarmed or shot at, but is a serious danger to the ridiculously long-leash civilian AI - they'll keep trundling forward about twenty steps after a hostile has come in sight. I've never had more than one bed occupied in the hospital at once, there's basically no room between "alive and healthy" and "very, very, very, very dead".

To show off the power of highly-skilled militarydwarfs in good equipment (all masterwork steel weapons for edged, steel and high-quality bronze armour), the last two goblin-and-troll sieges were held back by a military consisting of four legendaries and two middling-to-high-skilled hammerdwarfs, with a makeshift archer squad of six heads as backup which saw no to very little action. There are 120 beards on site, almost half of which are children. Ten adults are always-training military, six of them sufficiently skilled to face combat. About thirty dwarfs total have died, fifteen of which were burned by a single tortoise fiend law-giver of the goblins, and three more were stricken by grief over the lives lost in that battle.

Meanwhile in the glacier fort...
the preliminary test of the beefed-up minecart grinder has been promising - minecarts will not lose their load when colliding with a goblin in such a fashion that the gobbo is sent flying. I hope this means a minecart can reliably flatten anything that weighs less than ~2/3 of minecart+load: a load of 5 native gold boulders accounts for just under ten tons, which might be adequate to move a jabberer.
Getting dwarfs married has also paid off, seven children were born in the last year and a half, and fortress population is up by six, just short of the fifty required for a mayor.

The one loss was once again by glitches and general dwarven stupidity, combined with lack of attention by the overseer: yet another goblin, this time a snatcher, managed to enter the fort through the solid ice. I've no idea how they do this, either the spawning screws up when the spawn point's too close to the glacier/tundra biome border and one unit or several end up spawning "on solid floor" inside the glacier, _or_ they somehow dodge traps/carts through the floor. Anyway, the goblin was spotted and chased by war bears and jumped into a cage trap. Little did i know and even littler did the dwarfs bother to alert me to the fact that the goblin had already snatched a ten-year-old child, who was now stuck in a bag in a cage. I only noticed when the child was announced "missing". I _could_ have realised that there was something up when some rat weed seeds were displayed in a goblin cage - the damn stupid dwarfs had given food and water to the captured child, but of course only once, thanks to the stupid prisoner food bug. Incidentally, the snatching bag was considered a "rat weed seed bag" by the game, and i had a dickens of a time getting the corpse out there - corpses in a container are not collected normally, and bags qualify.

I later killed that goblin by caving a piece of floor on top of her - i wanted her encased in ice, but forgot that ice forms immediately below the drop location when filling a pond. I would even have let her live if she hadn't glitched her way into the fort. I have since installed a bunch of weapon traps at bottlenecks within the fort proper, to hopefully get a better handle on glitched/teleported enemies.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:56:20 pm by Larix »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32238 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:27 am »

In my good/evil masterwork fort, a small group of undead drakes wandered onto the map. Given that drakes referred to male ducks in vanilla DF, I figured the same was true here. I made a miner squad and sent them off to deal with them, since they were scaring the surface workers. It was about this time that I learned that Masterwork had drakes the mini-dragons. I'll be suffering from Digger Mortis for a bit until the drakes move far enough away for us to get the picks back, but I have two new migrants who'll become the new miners.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:18:29 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32239 on: January 16, 2014, 01:41:56 pm »

Creedink
Granite 1, 201

-facepalm-

stupid goddamn lousy dwarves

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32240 on: January 16, 2014, 02:14:38 pm »

Creedink
Granite 1, 201

-snip-

-facepalm-

1. I'm too stupid to see what's the problem in this picture.
2. What's that "H" count thing in the bottom right? I've seen it in a mod but I assumed it was related to that mod itself.
Everything's in the news today

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32241 on: January 16, 2014, 02:18:40 pm »

Creedink
Granite 1, 201

-snip-

-facepalm-

1. I'm too stupid to see what's the problem in this picture.
2. What's that "H" count thing in the bottom right? I've seen it in a mod but I assumed it was related to that mod itself.

1. They broke the wagon by settling on a steep slope, when 3 z-levels down is a perfectly good flat space to set the wagon.
2. DFHack at-a-glance happiness monitor.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32242 on: January 16, 2014, 09:49:21 pm »

Vampires "on break" appear to disregard all attempts to direct them when they have the smell of a sleeping dwarf - military orders, burrow orders, nothing matters. Only locked doors and similar solid obstacles help.

In my experience, burrow restrictions actually help. I managed to get one of my miners trapped in a shaft that had no dug exit (one of the many water channels that I dig throughout my fortresses), and she went to sleep slightly before we opened the exit. My vampire (who happened to be my count at the time, if I recall correctly) made a beeline for her because she was in his burrow. I noticed just in time, paused, removed the square she was on from his burrow, and unpaused with the vampire two or three steps from the miner.

He stopped, turned around, and wandered morosely back to his quarters.

Small chance that I mis-saw or that I mis-remember; she may have woken up; but I'm pretty certain the burrow restriction was what did it.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32243 on: January 16, 2014, 10:51:16 pm »

So... I just discovered that the Elves don't get mad if you trade them wagon wood, presumably because it comes from an animal, not a plant.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32244 on: January 16, 2014, 10:56:20 pm »

So... I just discovered that the Elves don't get mad if you trade them wagon wood, presumably because it comes from an animal, not a plant.

Now we just need to be able to breed wagons for wagon farms.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32245 on: January 17, 2014, 12:27:38 am »

I've got lots of ducks and peacocks. The alpaca, dog, cat, and rabbit populations are all under control, and the meat stockpile is full of meat. Now I just need booze, which should be okay, and I've got an aquifer as backup. Now I just need my kids to grow up so I can have more dwarfpower. So I guess my plan is to start loading the food stockpile and booze stockpile, then once I have more dwarves I'll build a generator, rail system, and drill to magma for metalworks and magmadrop to eventually clear the surface. Also, this is the first time I've taken residence at cavern three, and without a farm I'm starting to lose track of seasons and time.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32246 on: January 17, 2014, 06:34:10 am »

Well, my dwarves ate a whole lot of vermin and had two moods go bad due to lack of yarn, but eventually I got my troops equipped and trained enough to retake the surface from the zombies. I wanted to try out a siege-grinding trap but as soon as there was a path to the surface, my military, unfettered as they were by burrows, all charged toward the food, so I just had to let them fight it out. Must have been good experience because they've fought off three more goblin sieges this year. I will have lots of bodies for my Necromancer Training Facility.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32247 on: January 17, 2014, 07:49:14 am »

My militia commander has been struck with melancholy. I spent so much effort putting the "Dwarven Torch" out (the poor fellow tapped the volcano tube and survived being on fire.) His brother was mauled by zombies and he was forced to kill his corpse. Preparing his tomb now...

I'm kind of sad right now, but I've got to prepare defenses for the next attack.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32248 on: January 17, 2014, 01:09:46 pm »

*Sigh* Hoistedlens may be at a premature end - the game has crashed during saving every time the last three attempts, so I've been replaying the same season over and over. I'm not even sure I can even abandon at this point.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32249 on: January 17, 2014, 02:13:07 pm »

New fort, still setting things up when I get a possessed mood.  Dwarf goes to the meeting area and chills.  Crud. What workshop does he need?  Tanning skill, that means leatherworks.  Double crud.  He'll want leather, I don't have any.  I'll have to build a butchery and a tannery too.  Rinse and repeat.  5 workshops, 3 newly tanned hides and 1 newly smelted bar of nickle later, I get an artifact cloak.  Has pictures of a dwarf and a spotted wobbegong and of some ancient king ascending to the throne.  Also spikes.  Not bad...but I'll admit that I'm proud to have saved the mood without the caravan (which came just as I got him the last resources).
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."
Pages: 1 ... 2148 2149 [2150] 2151 2152 ... 3842