Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2134 2135 [2136] 2137 2138 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097145 times)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32025 on: December 28, 2013, 01:09:20 pm »

So i ended up digging all the way down, and in my first adamantine vein i encounter HFS, no seeing this i send in my military off 30 or so dwarves in to fight of the Hordes of !!Fun!! Stuff. The least skilled of them was a master with over half of these dwarves being legendary in there chosen weapon (I allowed them only to train and sleep). so the battle is finished once i open half a volcano on the bastards i then go into my military to see what is left when i find my new military commander

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i then looked at her kill list while it included only three things i was impressed, because it contained only demons, but it contained the one that had killed her mother

Wait. Why is she nine?

Train them early and you've got yourself an unwavering secret police.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #32026 on: December 28, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »

The forgotten beast spider Suton Wastedtomb the Dead Boils just showed up immediately after I broke the third cavern layer.  It murdered the entire fortress population and the dwarven traders.  Only my expedition leader survived somehow - he is now burrowed in the candy vein I just started mining.  Forgotten beast owns the fortress proper.  Unintentional hermit challenge go! (he just has to recover a pick somehow...)

If anyone ever shows up and kills it, I will be making a ton of -forgotten beast silk cloth-...

EDIT: Also puppies.  Like 6 puppies followed him underground.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:39:17 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32027 on: December 29, 2013, 01:34:18 am »

Was going to give up Keyswamp early on, as the volcano was being difficult and it was in a serene environment.

Then TWO master jewellers arrived in the first immigration wave. I was able to buy the entire first caravan with a few encrusted buckets. Then my token sacrifice to the MAGMA gods managed to outrun the flowing goodness and I've got the magma forges firing.

The kobolds have been annoying enough, and some dark stranglers arrived before the wall was finished. A mason sneaked out and built the two extra walls just in time. Then I got tired of them hanging around and tried DF liquids to wash them away. Ended up washing them into the fort (oh, THOSE walls weren't finished either!). Cue Benny Hill music and the last ten dwarves arrived were conscripted and managed to kill all nine stranglers.

And it's the first volcanic embark in a longish time where I've had more than two metals total. My last fort had copper and aluminium, so I was reduced to melting down goblinite. No flux or coal, but I'll deal with that later. Gem-encrusted <#gold crafts#> ahoy!

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32028 on: December 29, 2013, 09:01:52 am »

I just now noticed that an ice age is setting in on my fort....and by that I mean a glacier is actually FORMING (not the glacier biome) in my local area. Basically, I have a stream on top of a cliff that waterfalls into a major river below. For 1 month of summer, the stream thaws....but the river below does not. Every passing year, the wall of ice grows 1z level. Right now I'm frantically designing and constructing a mamga powered defense. Not even Mother Nature can stop the ingenuity and industriousness of my Dorfs!
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32029 on: December 29, 2013, 11:17:22 am »

Major undead siege showed up and was promptly dealt with by the 40 odd members of the militia. Still haven't made them any better armor or weapons, but apparently copper gear doesn't matter. Would be nice to give them something better, but i'm still trying to get enough steel produced for armor, then mine some candy for the edged weapon users. Also still trying to build the magma pumpstack, but RL keeps getting in the way (work  work -as said by orc peon in WC3)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32030 on: December 29, 2013, 05:50:07 pm »

I temporarily gave dwarfs NO_EAT and NO_DRINK, just to save an orphaned baby. I really hate the stupid food bug that keeps killing them.

I got hold of a few unicorns. Too bad that they cannot be tamed and won't breed. So i constructed a simple mechanised chopping room, which tends to give between three and five leather per unicorn.

After about three years, i finally managed to iron out the main bugs with my magma caster. Water must be sourced from sixteen levels down, the lava is already at the optimum level - two underground, so one pump block and a channelled-out casting pool are enough. Of course i forgot to put the lava doors in the proper place, so had to mess around with channelling right into magma before i could build proper doors in the outlet. The water stack's source tile turned out to contain an invisible towercap, so i had to rip out the pumps and connection and funnel and rebuild that. And by the time that was all done, a willow had grown in the channel. Fun times.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32031 on: December 29, 2013, 05:59:18 pm »

Oh no a Roc is coming  :o. Civilians rush inside, Militia rush out.

First Marksdwarf shoots at the bird which is already 3 z-levels in the air above the fortress.

The flying {cave dragon bone bolt} strikes the Roc in the right wing, fracturing the bone!
A tendon has been torn!
The Roc gives in to pain.
The Roc slams into an obstacle!
The Roc's head takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!

Now I'm a bit underwhelmed.  :-\

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32032 on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:28 pm »

I realized that my meeting area was waaaaay too small for the massive migrant wave I'd just recieved, and so I drafted 4 of the useless peasants in the new wave to help mine, once I made them some copper picks. After digging out the area, I decided that I should try and get some happy thoughts going, so I started building a bunch of electrum stuff. I've also started trying to engrave the meeting hall, and put in some chairs and tables. So far I have 2 electrum doors and 4 electrum statues, and about half of the hall is smoothed. My only major worry is that this might put me into siege level. I could probably deal with ambushes, but a siege is death.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Golym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32033 on: December 29, 2013, 07:49:07 pm »

This is going:

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32034 on: December 30, 2013, 12:23:15 am »

A conversation I imagine, between a group of creatures. Guess who.

'I heard there's a new fort.'
'yup, by that tropical bay, heard the goblins and necromancers arent too happy about it'
'yea . . . say, I also hear from the giant annoying damb louse that they built a Depot.'
'a trade depot, you say?'
'unhum, with a lumber industry.  left outside.'
'unguarded wheelbarrows and squishy dogs to maim?  Lets go!'

Feathered pricks maimed my farmer, murdered two dogs, and stolemy tradey stuff! at least they were giants, and not little ones. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32035 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:23 am »

Playing Masterwork when one of my schizophrenic hunters starts taking pot shots at the military commander fishing in the river delta. I thought the bugger had gone mad and ordered the commander to kill him, which he did after running him down. Then, suddenly everyone hated the commander and wouldn't let him into the fortress to get a drink. Soon the commander had had enough and charged into the fortress carving a path of destruction to the booze stockpile, then turned around and ran back outside before dying of dehydration.

All this started a tantrum spiral, of course, and now i'm arranging all the caged enemies we have around the meeting area for a big battle royale to end this fortress with.  8)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32036 on: December 30, 2013, 02:21:24 am »

Playing 2D Dwarf fortress, and obsessively arranging all of the stone into stockpiles for each given type of stone and ore.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32037 on: December 30, 2013, 06:34:35 am »

Dwarven religion is a complex matter.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32038 on: December 30, 2013, 12:42:37 pm »

Kitty McPaws has adopted the countess x8.
Seriously, the good woman boasts 18 pets now. I've already pastured nine of them in a locked room - cats don't report deaths and i don't want a "six cats died of old age this spring" meltdown.
In other news, it seems that the cavern lake i've tapped into has no connection to the map edge. It sits solidly at five depth after water for two rounds of obsidian casting were taken out. I'd better go and explore the rest of the map, see if i can find a border-connected lake for renewable water.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32039 on: December 30, 2013, 04:34:48 pm »

accidentally dug into HFS for the first time(due to never reading spoilers about it) and managed to wall off the things just before they got to my meeting area.

They're stuck in my tomb and destroyed all the coffins. I cancelled all the smoothing work for my engraver and will engrave slabs industriously to try and contain the swarm of ghosts that's sure to ensue

It came just in time. I had just got to that boring stage where I'm covering up the outside wall with floor and training the military drags along. The future promises lots of fun
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:41:31 pm by Deboche »
Pages: 1 ... 2134 2135 [2136] 2137 2138 ... 3842