Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2131 2132 [2133] 2134 2135 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097272 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31980 on: December 21, 2013, 06:34:30 pm »

Any way to use DFHack to memorialize caravan guards?
I had to resort to mass producing coffins instead, and collect the body when that happened.
I'm somewhat happy to hear I'm not the only one that happened to.

The body is currently wandering around outside massacring all the migrants that so foolishly show up to my reanimating biome that has heinous gloom thralling clouds.

So I ask again: Any way to use DFHack to memorialize caravan guards?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31981 on: December 21, 2013, 08:04:09 pm »

Any way to use DFHack to memorialize caravan guards?
I had to resort to mass producing coffins instead, and collect the body when that happened.
I'm somewhat happy to hear I'm not the only one that happened to.

The body is currently wandering around outside massacring all the migrants that so foolishly show up to my reanimating biome that has heinous gloom thralling clouds.

So I ask again: Any way to use DFHack to memorialize caravan guards?

I'm not too sure if there is, but there is a command that removes ghosts.

But I have to ask, did the guard die then rise as a zombie or did they get thralled? Because thralls and husks won't produce a ghost, since they technically didn't die.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31982 on: December 21, 2013, 08:39:52 pm »

He died and rose. Then I think a thralling cloud made him into a Heinous Gloom Zombie. But I'm not entirely sure, he might just be a regular old undead. Regardless, his ghost has been hanging around and I know more caravan guards will show up sooner or later. Thanks for the info, I'll go looking for that command.

I managed to save a migrant wave of 5, then one of 3. Now two children have been born, so my living population is almost equal to my slabbed population. Yay!
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31983 on: December 21, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »

The Artifact Willemite (Playing Genesis) Mechanism Sculptedintense the Mess of Youth

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31984 on: December 21, 2013, 11:40:25 pm »

Tombcoasts, Year 3

There are two normal reanimated corpses strangling a heinous gloom zombie cat outside while dozens of other corpses and zombies chase around all the migrants who show up. We have abandoned the upper world and now dwell solely in the caverns.

And there's a forgotten beast fighting the continuously reanimating corpses and skeletons of a bunch of rodent men that I was ignoring. Maybe some day we'll have a military capable of beating it and the corpses long enough to get them all atom smashed, but for now we'll just have to stay safe in our own little airlocked section of caves. Most of the first year was spent securing enough land for farming.

We also have two blind cave ogres in a pit fighting all the reanimating skins and hair of the various cave creatures and migrant animals we butchered. Unfortunately, their continued presence prevents other cave creatures from appearing around the edges of the map, so sooner or later I'll have to kill them... somehow. I'll ponder various solutions to that particular problem.

My first child, a beautiful daughter, was born last winter. It's had me pondering the strange circumstances of life and death in this Armok-forsaken wasteland to which the king has banished me. Despite all the desolation beleaguering our tiny outpost, despite the continual flood of migrants who die and rise again in undeath, despite the clouds of gloom that invigorate both live and dead alike and transform them into ravening monsters opposed to all life, still new life is born and new love blossoms. Tragedy compels us to write records in stone for those who come behind us to this place, whose lives we cannot save. Ghosts of dwarves we do not know haunt our dreams, both waking and sleeping. Beasts unlike anything we have seen or imagined or dreamt fight the living dead just outside our walls - living dead who, while living, would have slaughtered us mercilessly. Countless shrieks and groans come from the pit where the cave ogres fight their endless battle. And still we live, still we thrive, still we farm the soft cave soil and reap the plump helmets. Still we drink the wine and eat the cave crocodile egg biscuits.

Ah, perhaps I should cease these philosophical meanderings... they're what got me thrown out here in the first place.

Kivish Titthallogem, expedition leader of the outpost of Tombcoasts

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #31985 on: December 22, 2013, 12:54:02 am »

I embarked in evil resurrecting biome, locked my dorfs inside and later on built an airlock for migrants. However when they came noone could be bothered to pull the damn lever. Then i have the airlock full of zombies. Screw migrants.
Ghosts get inside, so i go deeper hoping the ghosts wont follow me. They do. I build a new better fort down there, get irrigation and slab the ghosts. Everything goes fine, im looking for magma, and a miner looses a leg. Turns out another ghost came down here and got violent. The miner died of thirst because i had no buckets nor wood to make any.
I kill the zombie of this miner several times and the ghost kills the farmer. Eventualy zombies kill everything.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31986 on: December 22, 2013, 06:22:00 pm »

Kestrels.

Wild kestrels. Havent seen any other form of wildlife in years. Half the kestrels that show up fly up over my walls, into the trap hallway, and commit suicide in the weapon traps. Overpopulation is affecting them so badly they don't want to live anymore.

Oh, and goblin and kobold ambushes are killing all the merchants and migrants. Trap hallway isn't 100% ready just yet, so I can't open the fort to the outside world. I'll have to think of something to deal with the kobolds, too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31987 on: December 23, 2013, 11:35:06 am »

After countless days playing around with PerfectWold, I made this embark site with a giant 50z deep and 46 across chasm made by a major river. It also has 2 waterfalls, on either bank. I'm currently in year 3 and the "Great Mold" is about 50% done. Once completed, I'm going to cast and entire megafort out of obsidian and have it suspended in the chasm using a magma tube that is conveinently in the first cavern, only 8z levels below the riverbed.

WARNING! MASSIVE IMAGE
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eventually, I plan on damning the river on the N side and creating a magma reservoir on the S side over which the entrance will be suspended. However, I've determined that a controlled cave-in will be required because even though the river does freeze in winter, it is a VERY brief freeze...the first attempt at damning by digging out the ice and building a wall ended with 36 dorfs dead.

Other dead include:
-2 miners; one who had a rock hit him in the head and another who dodged a rock falling on his head....right into the river 40zs below. This was necessary because the mold is 54x54 and the chasm is only 46 across, so I had to channel out the remainder and I'm too lazy to have safety precautions.
-1 speardwarf who was haunted to death by a caravan guard. (they STILL cannot be buried or memorialized  :-[ )
-1 axedwarf who dodged a pack of hawkmen into the river.
-countless gobbos who still haven't realized that I have 300 dorfs and no industry other than making stone blocks. That means 300 dorfs training year round.
-1 puppy who was ripped to ribbons by a pack of giant bushtits.
-1 mayor who wanted me to do something other than make stone blocks for the mold. He enjoyed his new living quarters in the caverns for a brief time. Then a giant 3-tailed scorpion came to visit. Beware it's poisonous sting.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:03:42 pm by AWellTrainedFerret »
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31988 on: December 23, 2013, 12:30:07 pm »

Tried a Masterwork fort. First winter, a double kobold ambush comes. By the second summer, the place is getting torn apart by orc berserker sneaks(how the hell does that even work?), elven kidnappers, and a few mages. No competent military by that point or anything. Pretty much giving up on that one.

Also had a werechameleon lady consort get ripped into pieces by a dire lion, who in turn was killed by one of the fortress pets.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #31989 on: December 23, 2013, 02:03:29 pm »

Post to watch and hope I don't drown my New Replies page.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31990 on: December 23, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »

Merry Christmas to you, too, Toady. :D

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31991 on: December 23, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »

Merry Christmas to you, too, Toady. :D

A bloated creature composed of snow. Did you get a snowman for a FB?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31992 on: December 23, 2013, 05:22:57 pm »

Yeah, apparently. :3

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31993 on: December 23, 2013, 06:19:18 pm »

So apparently it's impossible to quantum stockpile individual seeds with the minecart stop system.

Damn you, Toady.  >:(

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #31994 on: December 23, 2013, 06:40:30 pm »

Not really in the fort, but after a conversation with Exodious1 about kobolds getting Candy, I decided to test if a kobold could be lethal with a bluemetal hammer. A kobold vs. kobold fight, with both having candy warhammers, no armor, and grand master skill in fighting and warhammers resulted in a death rather quickly. A dwarf vs. kobold fight, with the kobold being in full steel armor, wielding a candy warhammer, with grand master skill in fighting, warhammers, dodging, shields, and armor vs. an unarmed, unskilled, and unarmored dwarf took much longer, with several minutes and 52 pages of combat going by (My computer doesn't run DF very quickly) before the kobold scored a lucky blow to the skull of the dwarf, finally killing him.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 2131 2132 [2133] 2134 2135 ... 3842