Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2130 2131 [2132] 2133 2134 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097361 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31965 on: December 20, 2013, 12:34:33 am »

My latest major project has succeeded with only one dwarf death: one of my original seven, a legendary mason. I forgot about one of the deadly gas clouds, and forgot about a hole I had dug into my fortress that was temporarily open to the sky.

All things considered, however, only one death is pretty fantastic. A goblin ambush even interrupted the construction of the magma reservoir for a few moments, but that's why I stationed my axedwarves there. They annihilated the squad and the last wall was put in place swiftly.

Now all I have to do is place the landmine exits and wire up a delivery system. I shall be capable of incinerating any surface threat that comes my way. Muahahahaha!
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31966 on: December 20, 2013, 02:57:39 am »

I have finally, successfully turned an embark site into a five z-levels deep lake!

Trade depot was built on a ziggurat out in the middle, currently linked to the shore by a monster floor-bridge-doohickey.  Next project will be FLOATING ISLANDS connected by bridges. @w@

Francinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31967 on: December 20, 2013, 06:09:02 am »

In my current fortress i made the mistake of letting a forgotten beast with a dust attack that causes necrosis fly into my tunnels that link into my fort and i had no standing military.

I thought I was screwed until the beast ran into the most fearsome thing in my fortress, my rooster.

The rooster ripped its wings and legs off and started shattering its chitin all over its body until my broker came by with a pick to end the monsters suffering.

I got lucky in that only one useless lye maker was actually killed during this breach, even the rooster survived (with a rotten everything that isn't vital).

The Owl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31968 on: December 20, 2013, 10:05:13 am »

My danger room is killing people. Luckily, I got enough to replace the dead.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #31969 on: December 20, 2013, 10:09:43 am »

I got on the challenge of making a fortress without drawbridges or traps, just military. I have repelled sieges and FBs with minimal losses, in the last siege the goblin general (which happened to be an elf) showed up, however this doubly useless maggot escaped. See you next time bitch, bring more war jabberers.

Nobody died during that siege, however shortly later an axedwarf died of old age.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31970 on: December 20, 2013, 12:26:55 pm »

Savageford finally got to see the elves; Since I always rely heavily on imports for variety, seeing them is refreshing, if unwelcome for obvious reasons. Hot on their heels is who else but a horde of angry snappy monkey-men also known as dark stranglers. The Cazadors and Wolf Spiders went to the main gate, Col. Ashmon simply telling the troopers that this will be naught but business as usual.

However, this batch is lead by thier general, some overgrown chimp named Kaza... Disgustingfondle. Seriously.... SERIOUSLY!? Wow I am soooooo going to enjoy seeing that guy dead for being named that.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31971 on: December 20, 2013, 01:45:40 pm »

I'm considering turning the surface into a perfectly flat, smooth obsidian surface, just because I'm in the middle of a desert and the surface is totally pointless to have. No vegetation that I can't import, no trees of any kind except for what is in my tree farm underground, and I'm getting tired of yellow sand.

Not gonna just make / mine obsidian and make it into blocks, and then build floors... oh no, I plan to flood the surface, first with magma, then water, then just work up from there. Might have to channel out the first layer of the surface, just so my fort remains where I put it, but there isn't much of note outside my fort anyways.

The aquifer will provide all the power I need; water as well. My lone glassmaker, who I'm training up before turning loose on rock crystal and pearlash for windows, will be making corkscrews and tubes for a while before this project can really get started. I have 150 layers of rock to pump magma up through, and will have to work around caverns and abandoned mine tunnels. Oh, and cave in a portion of the surface, just so I can get through the aquifer with my pump stack.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31972 on: December 20, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

The siege as well as an attack made by two bands of swords goblins have been dealt with. Sadly from the Home Caravan, a macedwarf named Zuntir met his end fighting an unnecessary battle that a small set-up of weapon traps would have dealt with. He has been buried with full military honors in our catacombs, the now-expanding Hall of Final Rest. It's expanding because honestly I feel a great calamity approaching, and everyone is being assigned a copper coffin as space becomes available. His morningstar will likely be placed in a weapon trap with the numerous old knives and scrapswords the goblins left behind.

Seriously, I have never gotten this kind of really unnerved feeling before. Maybe my CMD is gonna finally snap and kill someone since he's known to be a near-homicidally paranoid schizophrenic. I've also dealt with a minor security issue regarding workers and the mill/bucket station on the river, simply attaching a hallway leading to a nice big well-house for washing and drawing water. Still needs a roof though...

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31973 on: December 20, 2013, 06:07:34 pm »

caught a breeding pair of alligators. the only problem is that i don't have any competent animal trainers.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31974 on: December 20, 2013, 06:35:40 pm »

When faced with good critters and poor trainers, I just let the trainer have only one job, training. Then he sits and maintains a decent level of training on an animal and gets more skilled. Then when babies pop out, some of them end up tame. Did that with crundles once. Think cats are bad? Heheh

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31975 on: December 20, 2013, 09:19:56 pm »

As if the unholy vapors, that cause instant fatal bleeding from every body part, weren't enough, I have done the unthinkable: I have constructed magma land mines.

The world will burn...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31976 on: December 21, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »

Welcome to Valefortress. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #31977 on: December 21, 2013, 04:19:02 pm »

My duchess is making stone rings for my mayor. All is well.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31978 on: December 21, 2013, 05:34:14 pm »

Any way to use DFHack to memorialize caravan guards?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31979 on: December 21, 2013, 06:19:20 pm »

Any way to use DFHack to memorialize caravan guards?
I had to resort to mass producing coffins instead, and collect the body when that happened.
I'm somewhat happy to hear I'm not the only one that happened to.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2130 2131 [2132] 2133 2134 ... 3842