Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2119 2120 [2121] 2122 2123 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098818 times)

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31800 on: December 08, 2013, 12:27:47 pm »

Set out on an island, hopefully the goblins will stay away this time, but somehow the first caravan and 2 waves of immigrants still got here... Going to build above ground defenses just in case

They caulked the wagons and floated, no doubt!

Dwarves: awesome at Oregon Trail.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31801 on: December 08, 2013, 01:59:55 pm »

Building a fort with the intent of shotgunning enemy corpses into a reanimating biome. Got kind of sad with the crash on my old fort, so new project.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31802 on: December 08, 2013, 03:25:25 pm »

Just completed my grand entryway into cavern level 3. Bathtub I can flush with magma when it gets contaminated, goblin grinder to take care of ordinary critters, and so forth. I open the cavern, and, just barely giving my miners time to flee, in comes one of the forgotten beasts that have been lurking. And another. Five in total; one with deadly spittle, another with deadly dust (!), the rest with more ordinary poison. Ah, good, I think, I can test out my obsidian casting trap. Close all the exits, wall them off from the tasty artifact weapon rack, and drop the magma. Wait, where is all the smoke coming from? Did a dwarf leave a sock behind? No, it turns out that it's the forgotten beasts. All of them. Burning. To death. I thought they were immune to magma! Oh well, easier to cast obsidian than drain the pit.   At least none of the forgotten beasts were fliers - I'm not sure how well my caster works on fliers. Not that it matters if they're flammable...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31803 on: December 08, 2013, 07:04:18 pm »

Going well, second summer brings the humans and a Guild Representative. I tell them I need wood and various fuel stones, and whatever iron ores they have. Bought out the merchants lumber supply and a bit of food to supplement the stocks here.

Also improved the defensive perimeter, restricting access to one entrance in the south, only reachable by an opening in the north outer wall. Found a few necromancers lurking around, but nothing else of note.

Oh, and since restricting the number of pathways available for my dwarves, it seems I have solved my FPS issues for now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:05:50 pm by Lich180 »

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31804 on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:12 pm »

Fortressbowel, Year 38

A trade dispute with the humans delegates of Umonbehal has escalated into bloodshed. Guild representative Mokun Horncruxes refused to be paid for his trade goods with llama bone crafts, pounded his fist on the table demanding to be paid in gold and gems and further insulted his host by commenting on "typical dwarven stinginess".

Mayor Lovelyfigures beseeched him to apologize and when the human refused, he was bashed in the head with a warhammer.

The human merchants were then slaughtered and their caravan ransacked in a glorious defense of dwarven honor.

Mayor Lovelyfigures has decreed that all humans that approach glorious Fortressbowel will be slain and their heads put atop pikes.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31805 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:15 am »

Fucking giant bats... Five kills in under two days, and my entire squad of swiftly-drafted hunters is now dead. DORFS! WHY U HAVE PAPER THIN SKULLS? WHY U NO SMASH BAT?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31806 on: December 09, 2013, 10:56:26 am »

Ceilingscorch has weathered its second siege, with much worse results than the first.  The invaders, mounted on Cave Dragons and Giant Olms, smashed the militia, and a few even made it through the traps and into the fortress itself.  They were finally thrown back by a desperate last ditch stand by Olon Omristfikod Sheceddolek Tenshed and a motley collection of animals (including two giant dingoes and a giant python).  This despite the former's severe spinal injuries.  Unfortunately, the Baron, who was doubling as Militia Commander, was among the first of the casualties, thus perhaps derailing the fortress's dreams of greater recognition from the Mountain Home.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31807 on: December 09, 2013, 11:04:35 am »

Well, the first level of the caverns has been successfully walled off almost entirely. One small portion above a pool remains open. It won't be long before I have my entryway set up down below and any creature wishing to wander into my fortress from below will have to run a gauntlet of cage traps and drawbridges that will defeat even the most horrible forgotten beast (hopefully).

The lower cavern levels have not yet been breached. No siege has yet arrived, nor have we seen any goblin ambushes yet (although ten of their kidnappers have stumbled into cage traps in the last few months). Most of the fortress deaths so far have occurred as a result of one giant bat and one giant capuchin, the former of whom escaped and the latter of whom was summarily mobbed by the entire dwarven population, conscripted momentarily for that purpose. A breeding pair of giant capuchins has been captured and their kind, once tamed, will serve our fortress quite handily. All the elk birds that have thus far been captured will be butchered; I don't fancy keeping them alive on what little grazing land I have available. The goblins... well... I have a special purpose in mind for them. *evil snicker*
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31808 on: December 09, 2013, 12:03:21 pm »

Well, the first level of the caverns has been successfully walled off almost entirely. One small portion above a pool remains open. It won't be long before I have my entryway set up down below and any creature wishing to wander into my fortress from below will have to run a gauntlet of cage traps and drawbridges that will defeat even the most horrible forgotten beast (hopefully).
/quote]

Fair warning- Forgotten Beasts are Trapavoid and Nostun, so unless you can web up your cage traps, they won't help much.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31809 on: December 09, 2013, 01:03:13 pm »

Fortressbowel, Year 38

A trade dispute with the humans delegates of Umonbehal has escalated into bloodshed. Guild representative Mokun Horncruxes refused to be paid for his trade goods with llama bone crafts, pounded his fist on the table demanding to be paid in gold and gems and further insulted his host by commenting on "typical dwarven stinginess".

Mayor Lovelyfigures beseeched him to apologize and when the human refused, he was bashed in the head with a warhammer.

As much as I try to stay at peace with the humans, sometimes war just can't be avoided.  My very first siege was a human one!

Fucking giant bats... Five kills in under two days, and my entire squad of swiftly-drafted hunters is now dead. DORFS! WHY U HAVE PAPER THIN SKULLS? WHY U NO SMASH BAT?

Yikes, sorry to hear that!  Time for some steelclad revenge!

Ceilingscorch has weathered its second siege, with much worse results than the first.  The invaders, mounted on Cave Dragons and Giant Olms, smashed the militia, and a few even made it through the traps and into the fortress itself.

That's pretty nasty for a second siege!  Did you have a sudden string of artifacts in a row that catapulted your wealth between the first and second siege?

They were finally thrown back by a desperate last ditch stand by Olon Omristfikod Sheceddolek Tenshed and a motley collection of animals (including two giant dingoes and a giant python).  This despite the former's severe spinal injuries.  Unfortunately, the Baron, who was doubling as Militia Commander, was among the first of the casualties, thus perhaps derailing the fortress's dreams of greater recognition from the Mountain Home.

It's awesome when you have giant animals defending your fort.  I wish we had giant bears.  In fact, I might just mod some in one day.  That really sucks regarding the Baron, but keep with it.  You might still get the option to accept the next position up with a new dwarf.  Good luck!

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31810 on: December 09, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »

I did have a couple artifacts.  I also didn't have that great a militia or trap system set up- two rows of three weapon traps is all.  Part of the problem is that it came only one season after the first siege, and I was still training the replacements for the couple of dwarves I lost there.

And now one season later, a third, even larger siege.  I've walled off my cave entrance and left the Humans to fend for themselves.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31811 on: December 09, 2013, 01:57:55 pm »

Yikes, sorry to hear that!  Time for some steelclad revenge!

Steelclad? No. I don't have iron ore on this map, at least so far as I know. *sigh* That's what I get for sacrificing most other criteria for a savage tropical broadleaf forest... ...I just want some giant tigers...

It's awesome when you have giant animals defending your fort.  I wish we had giant bears.  In fact, I might just mod some in one day.  That really sucks regarding the Baron, but keep with it.  You might still get the option to accept the next position up with a new dwarf.  Good luck!

Yeah, my giant capuchins are the best early defense I could ask for. Thank Armok I got the cage traps up though! They would've robbed me blind. Now, though, I have eleven of them well-trained or better, and they're all loitering in the main entryway to my fort. One of them already bit a Kobold in the skull and earned a name for himself: Nguloespbo, Inkedrevered.

Fair warning- Forgotten Beasts are Trapavoid and Nostun, so unless you can web up your cage traps, they won't help much.

Oh yes, I realize that. For now, a single lockable hatch will provide defense against any forgotten beasts. (No other trapavoid building destroyers will be coming through on that level, I think.) Later, I'll dig out a more convenient cage and trap system that can contain forgotten beasts without hazard to my dwarves. Live bait, in the form of piglets, should help, along with a complicated idea I've been revolving that focuses on multiple airlocks and lockable hatches. The hatches are key since they're indestructible from below, but still allow me to control the movement of forgotten beasts.

Eventually I'll have forgotten beasts in chambers locked away for my viewing enjoyment (or !!SCIENCE!!, whichever comes first).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:04:58 pm by ImagoDeo »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31812 on: December 09, 2013, 02:01:39 pm »

Steelclad? No. I don't have iron ore on this map, at least so far as I know. *sigh* That's what I get for sacrificing most other criteria for a savage tropical broadleaf forest... ...I just want some giant tigers...

Neither do I.  Trade and goblinite are rich sources of iron, too :).

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31813 on: December 09, 2013, 02:13:18 pm »

Neither do I.  Trade and goblinite are rich sources of iron, too :).

Yes, but is it enough to have a fully functioning militia within the first three years?
...I guess I'm not a good enough DF player for that.

Edit: Here we go.

That construction on the far right side of the map is the only entryway to the first level of the caverns that I haven't walled off (besides that bit over the pond to the north that I need to fix...)

I'm going to begin construction. Ongkosm will not rest easy. ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:21:19 pm by ImagoDeo »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31814 on: December 09, 2013, 02:25:15 pm »

Trade was my original source of iron.  When asking for specific trade goods, don't just ask for bars.  Ask for other items suitable for melting, like anvils.  One trade caravan can boost your iron stocks up quite a bit if you diversify your selection of iron goods.  Maybe you've already done this, but I didn't when I first started out. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:29:44 pm by VerdantSF »
Pages: 1 ... 2119 2120 [2121] 2122 2123 ... 3842