Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2117 2118 [2119] 2120 2121 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099063 times)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31770 on: December 06, 2013, 10:43:34 pm »

Fortressbowel, Year 37

The foul demonic horde is routed decisively.

3 civilians were torn apart by the demons when they were caught on their advance up stairwell. Crawling their way up to the fortress, the demons are ambushed and slaughtered at the top of the stairs, no dwarf soldier falls in this first battle.

Another group of demons try to sneak in from an overlooked hole in the catacombs but they meet the Laborious Points and the Revered Towers and a fierce battle ensues. Again the demons are wiped out against 2 dead dogs from the dwarves. The battle leaves both squads with a heavy fever but all eventually recuperate.

Three surviving slug demons infiltrate the fort in the chaos and corner Udib Kubuktaron the spearman. She loses a leg in the fight and is overwhelmed shortly before aid arrives to slay the slug fiends.

Only 12 demons survive, hiding in the depths of the magma sea.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31771 on: December 06, 2013, 10:58:31 pm »

Well done!  What's the composition of your main demon-fighting squads?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31772 on: December 06, 2013, 11:06:16 pm »

I'm interested in this as well. Must be some damned fancy planning with the pinnacle of Dwarven warriors to fight them head on (more or less.)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31773 on: December 06, 2013, 11:13:52 pm »

I have mixed squads consisting of 23 speardwarves, 10 swordsdwarves, 20 axedwarves, 7 hammerdwarves, 2 squads of crossbowmen and 1 of recruits not worth a damn. The great majority wear iron, with bits and pieces of steel, adamantine and bronze and even copper. The weapons are also mostly iron with around 10 having adamantine weaponry.

All the squads except the newest one have been training for decades now and are all basically supersoldiers. Its only the equipment that is sort of lackluster.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31774 on: December 07, 2013, 12:41:56 am »

What type of demons did you get? I mean deadly dust and webs can be horrific depending on the RNG. That is why I opt for marksdorfs...
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31775 on: December 07, 2013, 01:36:56 am »

Relicshield, pop. 170, Early Spring of 336 (Year 85)

The legendary dragon trainer Meng Roughwhips has worked alone for over a decade.  His first apprentice was his daughter Nish Anguishedpages-Roughwhips, but she died during the Tantrum Spiral of 323.  At 114 years of age, Meng knew it was time to find a new apprentice to pass on his skills.  Many dwarves clamored for the position and the chance to work with the fortress's dragons, but only one was chosen.  Meng found the perfect candidate in Meng II Channeltree-Lanterngaze, an unrelated 33-year-old dwarf with no prior experience, but high potential.  As prep work for working with the dragons, Meng II was tasked with training a new generation of war grizzlies.  With the plague of stunted growth a thing of the past, war grizzlies have returned to service as trade network guards.

Year 85!!! I only hope that my Razoract will last that long. What FPS are you getting?

Razoract
22nd Galena, 222

Speaking of FPS, I have... well. I think a screenshot will do best to explain.

A bit of a problem. I'm going to need to add magma to this problem pronto.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31776 on: December 07, 2013, 01:53:10 am »

Year 85!!! I only hope that my Razoract will last that long.

itg's Heartmine is even older at 100!   

What FPS are you getting?

Holding steady at 50-60 atm.  I might let the population naturally decline to about 100.  That seems to be the sweetspot for my system.  At that pop, I can get back up to 80-90.  And yes, magma is a wonderful thing, though it took decades for me to find magma (147 levels below the surface), so I use atomsmashers to obliterate junk ;).

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31777 on: December 07, 2013, 01:57:24 am »

Year 85!!! I only hope that my Razoract will last that long.

itg's Heartmine is even older at 100!   

What FPS are you getting?

Holding steady at 50-60 atm.  I might let the population naturally decline to about 100.  That seems to be the sweetspot for my system.  At that pop, I can get back up to 80-90.  And yes, magma is a wonderful thing, though it took decades for me to find magma (147 levels below the surface), so I use atomsmashers to obliterate junk ;).

Hot damn. I'm at 25ish right now, but I have temperature on. With temperature off I get 50-60 too.

help me, i'm drowning in x☼clothes☼x

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31778 on: December 07, 2013, 02:00:44 am »

Pop. 169, Late Summer of 336

Perhaps Meng Roughwhips was prescient.  Soon after he appointed an apprentice to help with dragon training, a forgotten beast even mightier than Engror Crypthate ventured into the Second Cavern.

The Forgotten Beast Tob Omsostacnu has come!  A gigantic sauropod with external ribs.  It has large mandibles and it undulates rhythmically.  Its dark violet scales are large and close-set.  Beware its deadly dust!

The four largest dragons of Relicshield took on the monster, but its deadly dust and frozen extract proved to be a match for dragon fire.  Istrath, Ibmat, Slusa, and Mistrum all perished, but before they died, they took the forgotten beast with them.  Meng Roughwhips refused to abandon the wounded dragons during the battle and died alongside them :(.  Thirteen dragon hatchlings remain, but the two eldest have nearly thirty years before they reach adulthood.  For now, the Second Cavern has been abandoned.  Once the brood of Ibmat reaches 51 years of age, the dragons of Relicshield will return to the underworld to do battle!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:03:29 am by VerdantSF »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31779 on: December 07, 2013, 02:11:41 am »

Razoract
25th Galena, 222

All tattered clothes have been marked for dumping. I have saved the game before unpausing, in case the sheer amount of shit to be sorted through causes a crash.

Aaaaaand... GO!

Edit: It did not. I am, however, down to 9 idlers. Whoa.

Edit2: Ow. I saw my FPS take a dip to 18. And I'm down to 2-3 idlers, but that's probably because some of my dedicated not-haulers are sleeping or drinking or something.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:16:20 am by Lielac »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31780 on: December 07, 2013, 02:20:10 am »

All tattered clothes have been marked for dumping. I have saved the game before unpausing, in case the sheer amount of shit to be sorted through causes a crash.

Aaaaaand... GO!

Edit2: Ow. I saw my FPS take a dip to 18. And I'm down to 2-3 idlers, but that's probably because some of my dedicated not-haulers are sleeping or drinking or something.

Lol, yeah, the first time I did a clothing hauling spree I was not prepared for just how much junk all my dwarves had stuffed into their cabinets!  I really wish they would only keep 1 extra set of clothes.  Even better if we could set it so that they only held onto the bare essentials, rather than socks, coats, robes, more socks, etc.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31781 on: December 07, 2013, 02:24:42 am »

Aaaaaand... GO!

Lol, yeah, the first time I did a clothing hauling spree I was not prepared for just how much junk all my dwarves had stuffed into their cabinets!  I really wish they would only keep 1 extra set of clothes.  Even better if we could set it so that they only held onto the bare essentials, rather than socks, coats, robes, more socks, etc.

Heh. I need to do a yearly spring cleaning, really. This is the result of a decade or so of ignoring the problem and just going into the stocks screen to hide all the things...

Edit, 28th Timber 222:

... we're not done hauling...

Edit2, 13th Moonstone:

I've saved before taking a look at the pile on the hatch above the magma. Just in case.

Aaaaand nope. But there's 59 full pages of xcrapx and a little bit over, at 65 items a page. help me i'm drowning in xclothsesx

Edit3, 22nd Moonstone:

WE'RE DONE
WE'RE FRIGGIN' DONE
Or nearly so, anyway. 64 idlers and climbing! Also a bratling was taken by a fey mood.

Edit4: 3,898 items of clothing on the hatch. I've saved and set the hatch to be opened, and am holding steady at 26 FPS. God, I hope this doesn't crash the game...

Edit5, 25th Moonstone:

Ew. Nearly 10 pages of "A masterwork of Urist McClothier has been lost!" and what do I get for it? +2 FPS. EW. (Nobody's at worse than 92, though, and the worst-off Urist who actually suffered the travesty of art defacement is at 99 SOOOOO)

Edit6, 3rd Obsidian:

Welp. We've lost the first of the starting seven to a mining accident of all things. Kadol Gimurvad, legendary miner, burned to death at the age of 72 because she didn't run away from the magma fast enough. GODDAMMIT.

Edit7, 12th Obsidian:

All of the pump stacks (I had to shift it a fewwwww times due to cavern shit) are hooked up with the same power, and I've set a pull-lever job on the lever that toggles the gear assembly that allows the aquifer-power to go down the FUN tubes. RELEASE THE MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit8: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Edit9, 17th Felsite 223:

GODDAMMIT

Spoiler: Large image! (click to show/hide)

Edit10, 24th Galena 223:

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

COME BACK TO ME, FPS, COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Edit11: oh thank god it was just a brief dip
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:47:00 am by Lielac »

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31782 on: December 07, 2013, 09:50:23 am »

I had a dragon attack! It was very disappointing. I had my entryway all set up, with a bait animal, traps, and a grinder to get rid of ordinary critters, and a couple of statues in the obsidian casting area so I could shut megabeasts in and then cast them in obsidian (shame you can't use it as a mold to cast life-size gold statues...). But my bait animal, a war giant leopard (who says elves aren't good for anything?), actually managed to do some damage to the dragon before being incinerated. And then it turns out dragons aren't trapavoid - it didn't even make it to my cage traps! Completely shredded by four or five weapon traps. Weirdly, I can't even find the body. Maybe some of the forgotten beasts wandering around cavern level 3 will at least let me obsidianize them properly. The flying ones promise excitement, actually, I'm not sure my obsidian caster will kill a flier who doesn't mind magma. Perhaps the juicy artifact weapon rack will hold their attention long enough.

I'm a little nervous about my windmills, actually - apparently dragons can't fly, but I'm sure some titans will be able to. And so they can get over the walls, tear down the windmills, and get in through the machinery. I guess it's time to switch to waterwheels, but I'll have to bring flowing water up near the surface to make that work. I can't do without my lovely waterfalls in the dining room and barracks!

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #31783 on: December 07, 2013, 10:55:48 am »

Wireshoots has fallen.

Following a disastrous siege in which some 30 dwarves (24 military, rest civilians) fell, the survivors took it upon themselves to amuse the horde of captured goblins (some 50) by killing each other, the elven traders, the animals, and everything else.

Except one incredibly cheerful dwarf, who calmly kept tossing dwarf corpses on a stockpile the whole time, remaining ecstatic while her husband and child were brutally murdered.   

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31784 on: December 07, 2013, 12:52:10 pm »

Walldream's subterrenean waterways actually works! Although the section linking the upper and lower levels is flooded due to unavoidable design, and there was a near flood when the backflow prevention system in one of them failed to trigger. But due to the way that system was set up, there was a manual override to activate it anyway.

Did you know, you can set pressure plates to trigger on a water level of 0? This means that they'll be active until water covers it. I didn't know this until now, and I'm glad it works like that.

I also found that the king does not have any object preferences, so no mandates whatsoever from him, even as the duchess calls for pick after pick after pick after box/bag and the mayor decides to make selling tunics illegal just seconds before the caravan exits the map after being sold all the dirty clothing in the city. Twice. I had at least 20 dwarves jailed for that, including one guy imprisoned twice. It also seems that a dwarf with a prison record gets a harsher sentence, since he got nearly a month longer on his second sentencing than everyone else in that batch. I guess that's what you get for being criminal scum.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 2117 2118 [2119] 2120 2121 ... 3842