Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2106 2107 [2108] 2109 2110 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093256 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31605 on: November 22, 2013, 09:08:59 pm »

Carp will run from your dwarves as much as your dwarves run from carp. Since they were defanged, drowning is the worst that will happen to your dwarves.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31606 on: November 22, 2013, 09:31:13 pm »

Not if they are undead carp....
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NorthSouthWest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31607 on: November 22, 2013, 09:34:43 pm »

That's reassuring, however the constant alerts of urist mcdwarf cancels drink: terrified of fish are still an annoyance. Is there some way i can tell them to drink from somewhere else?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31608 on: November 22, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »

That's reassuring, however the constant alerts of urist mcdwarf cancels drink: terrified of fish are still an annoyance. Is there some way i can tell them to drink from somewhere else?

Designate a separate area as a water source, or set up a well somewhere safer. They should prefer to use wells over rivers, so long as the well has access to water.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31609 on: November 22, 2013, 09:40:21 pm »

Woah, man! This thread was made in 2007! That makes it... *counts on fingers*... Six years old on December 1st! That's, like, the same age as a six year old!

Back on topic, I just lost a (very new) fort to troglodytes:-[ I feel so ashamed.

NorthSouthWest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31610 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:08 pm »

Designate a separate area as a water source, or set up a well somewhere safer. They should prefer to use wells over rivers, so long as the well has access to water.

Ahh, thankyou. Worked perfectly.  :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31611 on: November 22, 2013, 10:46:22 pm »

Back on topic, I just lost a (very new) fort to troglodytes:-[ I feel so ashamed.

Nothing shameful about it. Those bastards are no joke to throw unarmoured recruits at!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31612 on: November 23, 2013, 04:21:13 am »

I found a magma pipe in the first cavern level and decided to build a pump stack (my first). It is taking *forever* to build even though it's only about forty levels. Doesn't help that I had to interrupt it for a detour around some inconvenient caverns I hadn't yet uncovered (my military is still too useless to go building in the caverns). I started with four magma glass kilns down on the magma level, so they're slow to access but I have an unlimited supply of magma-safe pump parts. It's actually the building of the pumps that takes forever. And digging all the plumbing to deliver power - because I had to break the pump stack I need to power both halves. But soon, soon I will have magma at the surface! Sadly my fort already swallows goblin sieges with barely an interruption of activity, so I'll have to hope all the steel-making attracts more Fun.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31613 on: November 23, 2013, 05:21:00 am »

Two words: effing keas.

Seriously - how does a middling-sized bird make off with an iron anvil?  It's not even shiny!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31614 on: November 23, 2013, 07:33:56 am »

Two words: effing keas.

Seriously - how does a middling-sized bird make off with an iron anvil?  It's not even shiny!
I don't mind keas stealing heavy items far as much as I mind them going after the most expensive ones... they always figure out which bin holds the most expensive items using their telepathic abilities. It gets ridiculous when they somehow decide to steal masterwork steel armor I made for my adventurer (posted about that before)...

BUT ... you can exploit exactly that - be it by planting one of the everburning bituminous coal artifacts or just by placing something expensive on a stockpile with several war dogs around.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31615 on: November 23, 2013, 07:48:53 am »

Except that it was the first wave of mobs on the map - I hadn't even had time to move anything inside.  Too bad - the foundry will have to wait, I s'pose. 

And me, with all this hematite, galena, and limonite around.... le sigh.  Good thing that traders don't share the impeccable taste of our rainbow-plumed flying vermin; they'll take a few silver bars in trade this year, instead of the serrated discs I usually prefer to trade.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31616 on: November 23, 2013, 08:21:41 am »

Lost my first reasonably performing fort in a Haunted area to a team of serpentmen who apparently heard the scratching in the walls... when my miner broke through to the caverns they killed him, ran up the stairs, wiped my military and commenced to terrorize my population.  (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31617 on: November 23, 2013, 09:15:10 am »

Best.  Artifact name.  Ever.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Styledatol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31618 on: November 23, 2013, 07:48:41 pm »

Got this scary red message that a wereraccoon came to ruin my shit, realizing I was pretty much fucked (with fort's walls unfinished, and no real military).
Drafted the freshy arrived migrants, mostly useless sods aside from one ranger, and sent them to die horribly while I finish the walls. To my surprise, the moment the wereraccoon saw the ranger charging, it transformed into a nameless human and run out the edge of the map with a few silver bolts sticking out its back - talk about anticlimatic, not sure whether I should be happy or disappointed. Do were beasts do that sometimes? first encounter with them.
Anyway, the fort is saved and the ranger is going to lead a very comfortable lifestyle (mostly lounging around and drinking booze, at least till I get a proper militia together.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31619 on: November 23, 2013, 07:51:33 pm »

Yeah they'll turn back to their normal form at random (seems like at random), sometimes they transform almost as soon as they enter the map, sometimes they don't for a while.
Pages: 1 ... 2106 2107 [2108] 2109 2110 ... 3842