Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2091 2092 [2093] 2094 2095 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094653 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31380 on: October 29, 2013, 08:23:44 pm »

My possessed dwarf has claimed a clothiers shop, and has everything i need (in the correct quantities) according to dfhack, but is still muttering. what gives?

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31381 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:26 pm »

Ok. For some reason dfhack is showing he has logs when he doesn't. Chopping some down so hopefully that works

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31382 on: October 29, 2013, 09:44:10 pm »

NEVER CANDY WEAPONS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ALWAYS LOINCLOTHS

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31383 on: October 29, 2013, 11:05:23 pm »

I've had upwards of 10 children all go moody and I never get anything other than instruments and crafts. I have two or three of each kind of legendary craftsman waiting to grow up and be useless. No metalworkers.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31384 on: October 30, 2013, 12:03:55 am »

NEVER CANDY WEAPONS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ALWAYS LOINCLOTHS

Looks like a toy boat or two, too.
Man, lots of dwarves love making artifact toy boats. What gives?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31385 on: October 30, 2013, 12:29:22 am »

It's their way of honoring the brave souls lost in Boatmurdered. And they're none too bright.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31386 on: October 30, 2013, 04:08:34 am »

My mason had his hand bitten off by a Giant Peregrine Falcon. Was such a clear cut that he didn't need treatment and just carried on building a wall XD

More generally: Fort at the source of a brook, half untamed wilds, half terrifying zombie atrocity land. Mid way through first year and relatively secure. Gonna be FUN I expect ^_^
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31387 on: October 30, 2013, 04:40:50 am »

An annoying and embarassing failure happened on the second mood - the human caravan arrived super early (seventh of galena) and thus also left super early and i completely flubbed trading. I was getting swamped in "couldn't find seed" messages because the isolated sub-fort _did_ have insufficient seeds of some types, but still.

And then a farmer/woodcutter went moody and it turned out they'd immigrated with glassmaking. Great stuff, since i've no sand at all on the site and didn't have any raw glass left over. The would-be glassmaker finally went melancholic two weeks before the dwarven caravan showed up.

I've had two moods in the sub-fort by now and they both succeeded, in spite of requiring materials and in one case even an anvil sent in by air mail. The only connection between the sub- and the main fort is via ballistic minecart: the main sends the cart off a 30z high mountain, it then flies ~95 steps with an apex of z17, lands on a track in the sub-fort, goes through a processing loop intended to sort incoming carts by weight and gets launched right back out of the sub-fort after passing the loop. On the return, it only reaches z7 or z8.

Carts that are moving at more than one tile per tick respect pathing obstacles (i.e. they don't teleport through closed doors), but will only activate pressure plates if they landed on them at the end of a step. Plates "teleported" over will not fire. The design would need to be much roomier if launching off ramps didn't split cart speed into a vertical and a horizontal component, while the vertical component of a cart's speed isn't converted back but simply lost when landing on flat track; the cart went off the first launch ramp at ~2tiles/step, landed at 1,5tiles/step in the sorting loop and arrived on the outside at 1tile/step. Each jump reduced horizontal speed by roughly 30%, or division by sqrt2. I'm not 100% certain, but it seemed that a dumping track stop built on a teleported-over tile actually worked.

Such high-speed carts aren't much use for data processing apart from simply transmitting a message: the cart passed through the whole sorting loop, returning on the second-to-last door, and landed back outside before the first plate it had passed over had time to re-set.

mounf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31388 on: October 30, 2013, 06:16:47 am »

Watchdiamonds is 10 years old! The glass roof over the dining room is finally complete, magma supply to the metalworkers guild and the dining room heating channels is up. Goblin ambushers turned up twice this year, one ambush chased a hauler around for a few days before being destroyed by 2 of my melea dwarfs (the hauler recieved a bruised hand), the other ambush was used as target practice by my marksdwarfs. Honestly, the goblins aren't even trying anymore.

Work now commences on moving the farming and kitchen area from the "temporary" (is it still temporary after 10 years?) fortress to the other side of the dining room 24 z-levels down. I'd initialy planned to flood a few rooms to create muddy floors.  But instead decided that dropping a 3 z-level chunk of soil down through 20 odd z levels of rock was a much better solution for a nice large farming area. It also creates a handy outdoor area next to the kitchens for outdoor crops....
----------------------------------
"Oops"

Slambert

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A devout servant of the machine god.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31389 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:58 am »

Nurgle fort update:
Still no merchant's have showed up, I'm hoping that the news of this place's curse hasn't spread that fast.

The woodworker seems to be regaining motor function in his arm... I'm concerned, as most of it had rotted off a few seasons earlier. (I'm referring to rotting off as lost all function)

The dwarfs seem to still go outside whenever it's raining the putrid muck. I initially theorize that they might be becoming immune and therefore unconcerned about the decay that results. This theory was quickly dismissed as all the dwarfs still quickly developed horrible boils. Maybe they want the boils? The Oxen has essentially dissolved from the lower body down, I've ordered it to be put down but I'm not so sure if the Dwarfs should be eating it as readily as they are.

Our Fortress is still developing very slowly. I think the number of willing immigrants may have declined since hearing of the demonic plague that infests this land. No creatures have even assailed this place... I would consider this good news however I fear that this realm has welcomed my dwarfs altogether to easily. Some of the dwarfs have started murmuring something about a "loving grandfather Nurgle".

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31390 on: October 30, 2013, 08:31:20 am »

Three blind cave ogres followed by a tantrum spiral left me with one madman babbling on the floor and one tantruming soldier (who was naturally asleep when the ogres started their killing spree).

Luckily some immigrants then arrived and managed to wall off the breach, and the soldier recovered without killing anyone else.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31391 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:16 am »

My possessed dwarf has claimed a clothiers shop, and has everything i need (in the correct quantities) according to dfhack, but is still muttering. what gives?

dfhack lies about what the moody dwarf actually has. Your best bet if you're using dfhack is to
1. Use 'showmood' to see what the dwarf wants (don't believe it when it says that the dwarf has it)
2. Use 't' command to examine the workshop that the dwarf has claimed. Take note of any items marked 'TSK' and check them off the list obtained in step 1.
3. Make available any materials not seen in step 2......

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31392 on: October 30, 2013, 10:04:58 am »

One of my useless migrants made an artifact microcline earing, then she proceeded to die in a cave in while building a dock over an underground lake. Is this Armok's sublime punishment?
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31393 on: October 30, 2013, 10:15:38 am »

Human siege just arrived, all mounted on kestrels.

Thank Armok I just got done with the roof last year... drawbridge up, gentlemen! We have a siege to wait out.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31394 on: October 30, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »

The horseplosion proceeds apace. They're up to 42 or 43. As soon as I get a military cobbled together out of my 38 remaining adult dwarves, I'll go in there after them. The slaughter shall be joyous.

...wait... if they're listed as 'friendly', will I cause a loyalty cascade...?
Pages: 1 ... 2091 2092 [2093] 2094 2095 ... 3842