Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2089 2090 [2091] 2092 2093 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094824 times)

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31350 on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:21 am »

Well? And... ? Did the armour survive?
It wasn't even slightly !!XxxX!!. You get your point.
Now, if only someone modded in live armor that fights even after it's wearer has been burned to ash...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31351 on: October 28, 2013, 10:07:31 am »

Well? And... ? Did the armour survive?
It wasn't even slightly !!XxxX!!. You get your point.
Now, if only someone modded in live armor that fights even after it's wearer has been burned to ash...

It's probably because the wearer gets you know... roasted alive inside the armor.
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

Slambert

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A devout servant of the machine god.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31352 on: October 28, 2013, 11:05:35 am »

tl;dr -- I've accidentally started a Nurgle fortress (chaos god of pestilence and decay)

I just started a new fortress in a terryfying biome thinking "I suppose i could use a fun challenge, lets see what evil monsters i get to drive off or to gain fun from".

When I arrive it actually doesn't look that bad. There are some dingo's running about, some snapping turtles to be careful of, but nothing that bad. I thought that the situation was ideal considering i was expecting zombie bears or some such. The world decided to go in a weird new direction in keeping me suprised....

The first day in it started raining this horrible brown muck and didn't stop for some time. All of my dwarfs and livestock were drenched in it and quickly started developing horrible Boils ALL OVER THEIR BODYS. The cats Tounge even had boils... The oxen's eyeballs started to rot out and everyone was in some various state of decay. Dwarfs were practically rotting away but still laboring. I've decided to try and make the fort work anyway.

Two seasons in, the dwarfs just stopped caring about the boils. In fact they seem to go outside into the muck despite there being no meeting zones outside... I've realized that I have just started my very own Nurgle fortress.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31353 on: October 28, 2013, 11:28:25 am »

Recently embarked in region that had as neighbors, dwarves, elves, humans, goblins, a town, and two towers. Got to see my first necromancer siege. Almost 200 undead. Well, the welcome center managed to grind them up easily enough, but it was SLOW (the recovery time for a pressure plate made the customer wait time rather long before the next zombie was properly greeted). As a result of that lesson learned, the welcome center got a brand new floor for the waiting room. A drawbridge. Currently the drawbridge is operated by a dwarf flipping the lever on repeat, but perhaps will have an actual repeater in the future.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31354 on: October 28, 2013, 11:46:07 am »

<snip>

Just wait until your invaders have to deal with that. Sounds like a great ofrt.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31355 on: October 28, 2013, 01:18:14 pm »

One weremole caused a Tantrum Spiral. :D And now there's a goblin ambush on the way too.

And a necromancer as well! :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:20:12 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31356 on: October 28, 2013, 01:22:57 pm »

It has been a long time i had not started fortress and so of course i forgot a few things.

I was surprised to finally get back into that interface so easily despite the time.
So i got a nice layout, started my workshops productions, i made my various stockpiles, mined a marble source in the side of a nearby mountain to obtain tons of marble, my woodcuter was doing great, mined individual rooms, filled them with manufactured beds, dug down to the aquifer, finished to build a well.
I remembered to build a trade depot, and made a bridge on the nearby river to avoid possible merchants coming from the other side and being unable to reach the depot.

A couple of migrant waves came, i could start to assign a military squad and start wondering what i could do next , walls or traps or both ,etc ... while waiting for the first invaders to see if the invader digging plugin for dfhack would be as great as i hoped it to be.

All seemed to go great, and then i began to saw some messages about the dwarves starting to be "hunting vermin" ... food ! i completely forgot the farms !

A bit of panic time in imagining it would be too late to save that nicely ongoing fort from famine, following deaths and following tantrums until i would be forced to abandon that good fort, i began to start digging my farm, made doors controlled with levers to open a door from the river to the farm to flood it and obtain the required mud.

Then all those useless recently installed migrant, thanks to Dwarf Therapist were assigned in no time into farmer, work started, but the amount of "hunting vermin" message was starting to accumulate ... and then the first plump helmet started to popup in the big farms that were starting to be filled by the farmers.

Saved in time !
But how hilarious a situation it was, all that nice planning that was coming together while completely forgetting the very basic of survival : food !
:D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31357 on: October 28, 2013, 01:28:02 pm »

But how hilarious a situation it was, all that nice planning that was coming together while completely forgetting the very basic of survival : food !
:D

Now I feel slightly less stupid for forgetting to bring enough booze to get me to fall and neglecting my farms.

LucidityDark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31358 on: October 28, 2013, 01:33:32 pm »

I was dealing with a siege by sending in my 30 legendary warriors and proceeded to unleash them upon the leader of the goblin civilization whose mount had fallen from the sky. Strangely, the leader didn't die within a few rounds of combat and I was initially confused at all the mist coming off of him. Then it struck me. I looked at his profile and sure enough, he's some kind of demon or forgotten beast with a syndrome inducing vapor. The battle proceeded to find itself in the middle of the barracks, dwarves rushing to bring down this monstrosity. It was at this moment when my entire military found that this syndrome causes their eyes to leak blood everywhere and lose all function.

Now I'm sat here watching 30 dwarves surround a fairly useless demon, unable to locate him due to their blindness while it spews mist everywhere. I have no idea how to deal with this due to the fact that this demon seems to be invincible (he took a heavy blow to the heart and recovered from it easily). It doesn't help that I haven't played this game for a very long time.

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31359 on: October 28, 2013, 01:43:41 pm »

tl;dr -- I've accidentally started a Nurgle fortress (chaos god of pestilence and decay)

I just started a new fortress in a terryfying biome thinking "I suppose i could use a fun challenge, lets see what evil monsters i get to drive off or to gain fun from".

When I arrive it actually doesn't look that bad. There are some dingo's running about, some snapping turtles to be careful of, but nothing that bad. I thought that the situation was ideal considering i was expecting zombie bears or some such. The world decided to go in a weird new direction in keeping me suprised....

The first day in it started raining this horrible brown muck and didn't stop for some time. All of my dwarfs and livestock were drenched in it and quickly started developing horrible Boils ALL OVER THEIR BODYS. The cats Tounge even had boils... The oxen's eyeballs started to rot out and everyone was in some various state of decay. Dwarfs were practically rotting away but still laboring. I've decided to try and make the fort work anyway.

Two seasons in, the dwarfs just stopped caring about the boils. In fact they seem to go outside into the muck despite there being no meeting zones outside... I've realized that I have just started my very own Nurgle fortress.

Wow i wanna hear that story! Can you continue it or something?  :)
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

Slambert

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A devout servant of the machine god.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31360 on: October 28, 2013, 02:18:11 pm »

<snip>

I'm quite interested to see how the fort will develop. Already one disease ridden dwarf had an arm rot off but he continues to chop down trees with his one good boil ridden yet operational arm.
Can you imagine the faces the elves will make when he is the first thing they see when they visit...

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31361 on: October 28, 2013, 02:55:48 pm »

<snip>

I'm quite interested to see how the fort will develop. Already one disease ridden dwarf had an arm rot off but he continues to chop down trees with his one good boil ridden yet operational arm.
Can you imagine the faces the elves will make when he is the first thing they see when they visit...

"Oh hello dear elves, do you want some of thi-*cough* -of this- *cough* - this- *COOOOUGH* -oh god my-*cough* -i think my finger just fell off...*deep breathing*...Well, are you interested in dwarf fingers?"
"Oh god, what are we even praying for, Kisho?"
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31362 on: October 28, 2013, 11:08:24 pm »

So what do I do with a Dragon, a Minotaur, an Ettin, and a Giant?

I mean seriously... the semi/megabeasts are really coming my way this game. And stumbling into cage traps.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31363 on: October 28, 2013, 11:21:06 pm »

Tame the Dragon!

But then, don't do what I just did. In the process of moving my dragon over from the puny wooden cage to the platinium, I realised that it was in the process of being trained. And thus, cancelled the designation.

Two moons later, I moved over to the cage to finish the designation and realise horror of horror, the dragon was GONE!

It was now mooching around the animal trainer, in the process of squashing its way through a very narrow chokepoint along with tens of my other dwarves:D

Still, given the large number of trainers I had, the only real problem should be what would have happened if I ran out of meat to tame it.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31364 on: October 29, 2013, 09:56:24 am »

My obsidian mines are currently being ruined by microcline. Worst rock ever.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 ... 2089 2090 [2091] 2092 2093 ... 3842