Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2087 2088 [2089] 2090 2091 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095108 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31320 on: October 26, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »

Also, is it a glitch that a dead macedwarf, from the caravan guard that was just leaving as the first minotaur showed up, doesn't have an option to engrave a slab available? He's risen as a ghost, nonviolent, but I can't slab him. I've recovered his body, now, so as soon as I have enough coffins, I can lay him to rest, but it's still somewhat odd that I can't do it with a slab.

Must be a glitch, but I have seen it before so it's not too uncommon. Thankfully, the ghost that rose from the dead macedwarf in my fort wasn't violent or murderous.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31321 on: October 26, 2013, 05:04:48 pm »

Please tell me Giant Emus are actually capable of dying?

This one has endued some six thousand punches from my fifteen dwarves and hasn't died yet.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31322 on: October 26, 2013, 05:07:44 pm »

The dwarven fist is not the paradigmatic blunt weapon of dwarf fortress; just because something can't be killed by being punched doesn't mean that thing is immortal. Give your little guys some sharp, metal things to fight with.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31323 on: October 26, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »

This has never happened to me before. Is it supposed to work like this? Most of my dwarves did come as married migrants, I suppose, but I thought I had several marriages happen without announcements.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31324 on: October 26, 2013, 05:34:48 pm »

Please tell me Giant Emus are actually capable of dying?

This one has endued some six thousand punches from my fifteen dwarves and hasn't died yet.
The dwarven fist is not the paradigmatic blunt weapon of dwarf fortress; just because something can't be killed by being punched doesn't mean that thing is immortal. Give your little guys some sharp, metal things to fight with.

It's also possible that the emu has gone into a state of flux between life and death, being sustained by the dwarves punching it. If that is the case and you can convince all of the dwarves to quit attacking it for a while, it will most likely die.

Then again, you should be training those giant emus! They're far better for egg and meat producers than turkeys as they provide large clutches and are very large.

Also, that announcement should pop up every time there is a marriage, although they may organize a party at a table if you have one available and marked as a metting hall. Maybe you just didn't notice it before?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:36:27 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31325 on: October 26, 2013, 05:45:11 pm »

It's also possible that the emu has gone into a state of flux between life and death, being sustained by the dwarves punching it. If that is the case and you can convince all of the dwarves to quit attacking it for a while, it will most likely die.

Then again, you should be training those giant emus! They're far better for egg and meat producers than turkeys as they provide large clutches and are very large.

Also, that announcement should pop up every time there is a marriage, although they may organize a party at a table if you have one available and marked as a metting hall. Maybe you just didn't notice it before?

Oh, I am! I trapped eight (four of each gender) right after I embarked and I've already hatched a clutch or two. There are a million giant emu chicks running around. I marked the males for slaughter since only females produce eggs.

One of my original trapped set, a female, went wild while still attached to her chain, so I cut her loose thinking she'd just run outside. No... she felt like shyly hanging out in the back corner, pecking the other Emus. So I conscripted all my dwarves and told them to murder her. After fifty-six pages of punching, I got tired of it, assigned one dwarf to do the dirty work, and told the rest to get back to their jobs. That dwarf kept at it for a good week, but the Emu woke up, tore apart her chest, broke another dwarf's leg, and was finally killed by one of the chicks. (I think. It may just have died of exhaustion.)

I butchered the carcass, of course. And it doesn't matter since I had three other females.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31326 on: October 26, 2013, 06:02:16 pm »

D1: Hey, we got an emu that forgot it's training, should I go re-train it?
D2: Nah, let's just tenderize it and eat it.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31327 on: October 26, 2013, 08:44:17 pm »

Things started going downhill when the human caravan arrived.

At the time, I was draining both rivers so I could collect all the goblinite from the last few sieges that had been washed away by judicious use of draining and releasing one of the two rivers. So my FPS took a huge hit.

Then an ambush or two showed up. They were dealt with quickly, but the humans decided to get the hell out of there. In the middle of their retreat, another siege showed up. Things went relatively well, all things considered... I released the rivers, called everyone inside, and waited it out. Most of the goblins wound up dead, washed over the falls or slaughtered by the humans or caught in my myriad cage traps.

A few survived, though, clinging to walls in the river. I didn't think much of it, assuming they'd drown or get washed away like all the rest had eventually.

They had other ideas.

While I was rescuing goblinite and humanite from the battlefield, two hammer goblins arose dripping from the river and proceeded to annihilate nine or ten of my hundred and sixty dwarves in quick succession. They eventually fell victim to cage traps, but not before someone started tantruming over the loss of his wife and children. (It's not my fault, you fucking idiot! You were the one who married the dipshit and had twelve kids with her!)

I decided to wall off the river so this wouldn't happen again. While walling sections of river, though, my masons disturbed a crossbowman who crawled dripping from ambush and proceeded to one-shot seven dwarves AFTER RUNNING OUT OF ARROWS[/b] before he, too, fell to a cage trap.

Things had not yet reached tantrum spiral mode, but they probably aren't far from it now.

A dragon just showed up.

I believe this is the most fun I've ever had!

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31328 on: October 26, 2013, 08:49:32 pm »

So ever since a caravan arrived, I've been having seemingly invisible necromancers laying siege to my fort. I can't find them on the map. They appear in the combat log.
I have "found" two: they decided to attack (hand to hand) a dwarf. Strangely, one of these times the attack happened 3 z-levels underground in my storehouse. Even though I'd had almost constant movement around that area.

One of the repeatedly resurrected hands has a name now. I don't really know what to do. I thought necromancers needed LoS to resurrect units.
okay and now there's a named skeleton as well.

On the upside, I have a macedwarf with 5 names. He has 55 total kills.

And bad news:
41 undead units. Right as the caravans come...

I abandoned that fortress.
The weird thing was that the siege was never actually declared, I don't think.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:47:57 pm by Cuddles »
I don't bite.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31329 on: October 26, 2013, 09:34:13 pm »

Well, the human caravan has arrived at Soundmoistens. Hopefully I have enough goods to secure a pick so we can begin digging wells and moats. I've also learned from the Wiki that I haven't triggered the population requirement for sieges, so maybe we'll last long enough to trigger Titans on Wealth instead.  :P

Late last year we had a five year old go into a strange mood and fail. He went Stark Raving Mad, stripped down, and ran around the meeting hall until he dehydrated to death. After a short stint in the trash heap, his body was placed in our only grave, above ground. Seeing it gave me a neat idea: Build more of those graves, wall the tops with fortifications, and use them as Archery towers. I call them Grave Towers. They shall form the basis of our wall system.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31330 on: October 26, 2013, 10:45:38 pm »

I just discovered that dropping magma on goblin zombies just gives me flaming zombies and pools of goblin grease.

If I'd just managed to finish the water pump system I was working on, I'd have dumped water on them along with the magma. Now I'm afraid to let them in, lest they hit my weapon traps, explode into a billion still-flaming pieces, and get cleaned up by my dwarves, resulting in flaming dwarves.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31331 on: October 26, 2013, 10:47:18 pm »

The dragon stumbled straight into a cage trap, thank Armok.

But then another siege showed up. I don't remember what's happened in the months since. All I know is that we're down to 40 adults and 71 children from 68 and 100, respectively. All three of our legendary miners are dead. The duchess is screaming orders from behind her bedroom door, something about animal traps, warhammers, and large gems. There's a hauler running around babbling. The coffin industry has exploded. No one's losing their grip quite yet (except that hauler), but we're all mighty close. Thank Armok we finally walled off the edge of the map! And just in time, too. ANOTHER BLOODY SIEGE.

Glazedclinches will survive. It won't be pretty. We've all lost someone. But it will survive.

In the midst of the chaos, a child was possessed by spirits who forced him to create a bone trumpet - "Romanceslaughters." How fitting...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31332 on: October 26, 2013, 10:51:36 pm »

A goblin snatcher just brutalized a small child with his dagger, cutting off various parts before stuffing the child in his bag. I don't know whether the child was dead before or after, but I do know that when I inspected his bag a moment or two later it was listed as having the child's mutilated corpse. I've never seen a snatcher put a corpse in his bag though.

Sounds like those terrible kid killers in real life to be frank. Though without the swift, enraged dingo and dwarf vengeance that followed a moment later.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31333 on: October 26, 2013, 11:11:11 pm »

There's a vampire. Three victims and counting. Time to reshuffle the bedrooms.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31334 on: October 26, 2013, 11:18:14 pm »

Hahahahaha! What a tragedy! Some idiot kid a poor Dwarven child just got totally obliterated by a drawbridge was crushed horribly by a rising drawbridge. Good riddance to the little fucker. What a shame, he had so much potential.
Pages: 1 ... 2087 2088 [2089] 2090 2091 ... 3842