Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2086 2087 [2088] 2089 2090 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095456 times)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31305 on: October 23, 2013, 05:22:56 pm »

So many migrants. It's spring of year 2 and I have a population of 55. So many dwarves, so few beds...

I should probably give some thought to security soon as well. Right now my entire defence consists of one untrained dwarf with a steel spear, and absolutely no way to seal our 5-tile-wide entrance against invaders that can beat him. This could go horribly wrong if goblins show up...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31306 on: October 23, 2013, 06:35:49 pm »

My dragon just reverted to a wild state. He's chained up right now, how do I retrain him without getting killed?

As long as he's restrained, he shouldn't be hostile towards your dwarves. Just build a cage somewhere nearby and assign him to it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31307 on: October 23, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still working on draining that magma sea. Am making progress. Slowly.

Made some discoveries:

1. Green glass and stone pumps are sometimes not magmaproof when arranged in a solid line and with fortifications behind each of them. I'm assuming it's something to do with build order -- the light pumps in the screenshot are marble, which is not magmaproof, and were the first pumps to be built. They each had their own fortification to pump into, and ran for a while that way.

2. Pumps move a crazy amount of fluid. You can see that even when the pumps aren't pumping anything deeper than 2/7, they're outputting more magma than one fortification per pump can handle. When first turned on over 7/7 magma, they can put magma onto three times as many fortification tiles as there are pumps. Once the initial rush dies down, fewer fortifications are filled. The top level pumps are about one fortification per pump, and the pumps one layer above the bottom magma level are the ones shown above.

3. If you can get the magma down far enough, you may be able to build a wall on the map edge. The edges refill from the lowest level that has any 6/7 or lower tiles.

4. I know that it would be more efficient to build a battery of water reactors near the wood supply and run the power down a dozen levels, but still I insist on bolting on fresh reactors whenever I add more pumps. Why do I keep doing this?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31308 on: October 23, 2013, 08:12:26 pm »

First time I've found the Magma sea; my first cavern finding tunnel (tundra, no trees, need trees) bypassed the first cavern... then the second... and completely missed the third, too. Actually, I hit Semimolten rock, but I know that means the magma sea is within a few tiles.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31309 on: October 23, 2013, 08:47:28 pm »

Playing along, i suddenly got a "dwarf cancels store item: too injured." Yikes, some loony went onto a minecart track again. The hunter ended up with a broken leg and two broken hands. Unfortunately, she didn't go to rest properly and took days and days until she could get taken to bed, and i still hadn't made any soap. By the time she was finally diagnosed, infection had set in, and by the time she was released from hospital, she was "pale". By that time, there was some soap available, so she tried to "clean self", but her hands hadn't mended yet. So she spent the remaining two weeks of her life trying to pick up a bar of soap and failing. Then she succumbed to infection and was promptly interred in the wooden casket i'd set up for her when i realised she wasn't going to make it.

I'm shooting for monarchy for a change, so allowed migrants. Expectedly, i'm getting swamped with "friendly" trader migrants who typically sit on the map edge and block the rest of the group from showing up. Seems that if the bugged traders sit on the border too long, the other migrants give up and disappear. The traders can be forced off the edge without hackery, though: just go into their inventories and order some items dumped. When your dwarfs come and confiscate the traders' socks, theyl generally push the traders off the edge and allow the other migrants to enter the map. In the most recent wave, i dislodged five traders this way and made way for ~24 new citizens.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31310 on: October 23, 2013, 08:58:55 pm »

The traders can be forced off the edge without hackery, though: just go into their inventories and order some items dumped. When your dwarfs come and confiscate the traders' socks, theyl generally push the traders off the edge and allow the other migrants to enter the map. In the most recent wave, i dislodged five traders this way and made way for ~24 new citizens.

That's awesome!

I've been making them move by building a cage with some harmless but wild-thus-scary beast right by the trader, then pulling a lever to release it and forcing movement that way.  Ordering dumping is ever so much easier.  Thank you!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31311 on: October 24, 2013, 09:51:44 am »

Does someone know whether those annoying trader migrants keep migrating in when they've joined the autumn caravan and thus were re-cycled into the civ population pool? I didn't bother tracking them, but one had such a low position in the slab-engrave list that i suspect that was a second or third visit.

Oh, right, i built pillar-supported floors over them and collapsed them. This crushed nine out of the ten traders camping the migrant spawn points. The lone survivor suffered a few broken bones from flying corpses and socks but joined the caravan and got out alive.

I'm currently waiting for the humans' reaction to the death of their law-giver. She was locked into the mayor's office until she went stark raving mad and then promptly threw herself into the river.

For some reason, the mayor's still the only dwarf who handles diplomats. The countess is too busy training up her siege operator skill and admiring her furniture. I built a catapult in her office, so she doesn't need to go out to train. "She admired own completely sublime Siege Engine lately."

Edit: we had to push a grand total of nine migrant traders around to get a few more citizens inside. Fortunately, the non-bugged migrants were barely enough to push us past 140, so we gifted about 100k ☼ to the dwarven caravan and are now waiting for the king to arrive. Royal dwellings have been prepared - four rooms, mostly 3x3 in silty clay loam, but with an artefact cabinet and a bunch of lavishly decorated furniture items. There's also a royal furniture storage - a room containing one bed, nine chests, four armour stands, four weapon racks and four cabinets, locked. I'll assign it to the king to meet royal requirements. I must admit just hanging around without a real project apart from "grab a king" is pretty boring.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:10:41 pm by Larix »

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31312 on: October 24, 2013, 10:23:45 am »

Just genned a world and did some prospecting. Obsidian desert with the magma sea at 80th z level and lots of tin.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31313 on: October 25, 2013, 05:45:31 pm »

Welp, a civilization fort just barely managed to avoid a catastrophic fluid shortage thanks to two miners. The first cavern below the wind-swept snow was dry as dry can be and still support the fungal flora. In an act of desperation, we tore down the depot and left the visiting xelics confused as to what was happening, hoping they'd brought vital alcohol to combat the dehydration, to no avail. So the miners dug further down to the second, and Armok smiled on us and they struck water. As one of the two was already near dead from dehydration, he promptly shoved his face in the lake and drank his fill before returning to work. The Depot will be rebuilt once the xelics have gone.

When the caravan from home comes, we'll have draltha and olm bone trinkets aplenty for trade.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31314 on: October 25, 2013, 06:20:47 pm »

Goblins have come to Pagelashed. First a ambush in the Spring, and a 1 squad siege in the summer, we are certainly going to be attacked more often now. Ambush was fought of very easily, with only a unarmed civilians dying, and a few injuries on our side. Siege was harder, but almost no deaths on our side beyond the loss of 2 civilians, a marksdwarf, a baby, and around half of our cattle. A few more injuries, but most have walked it off, and the remaining three are recieving comparitvely prompt service. A random hammerdwarf has distinguished herself as gifted,  withstood several yellow wounds and fought on, felling 6 goblins in total, 3 from the ambush and 3 from the siege, and has acquired the title of "the Fair Equity".

We have struck gold in the newest deep mines, and I think the next caravan visit should be a very profitable experience.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31315 on: October 26, 2013, 09:05:59 am »

The Above Ground Human "Fortress" of SoundMoistens is in its second Summer. We slew the two elven merchants who came, and are processing their goods for higher value so we can trade with the homeland for a friggin' pick. This is in a world where minerals are Very Rare, and we chose to go above ground and farming. Our primary exports are clothing and baby animals, both of which the elves brought inputs for. We don't even have a wall around our longhouse, so I doubt the 20 of us will survive the winter, unless we've failed to trigger a goblin attack by then. The only military we have is wooden armed because we settled in a metalless site and didn't have enough goods to trade last summer.

We have gone two seasons without migrants. This year will be brutal.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31316 on: October 26, 2013, 09:49:47 am »

My new fortress is coming together well. The design entails a LOT of open space (it's inspired by this) so I already have a tremendous amount of excess stone to deal with. I've set up a huge row of masons' workshops to turn it into bins, though it's reaching the point where I start considering the use of minecarts.

I've also managed to find a small aquifer underneath some conglomerate I dug out earlier, which is peculiar since I have aquifers turned off in the LNP. Oh well, it gives me a water source, which I didn't have before, and it's large enough not to be annoying...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31317 on: October 26, 2013, 11:19:36 am »

Silentthunders: 2 years since last accident

One 13 year old treated for 2 overlapping compound fractures and 4 additional compound fractures by 3 doctors over a span of 4 months, one 2 year old buried after dying from burns and smoke related injuries.

The dome is dug deeper and an FB that is literally death incarnate flies below.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31318 on: October 26, 2013, 03:31:33 pm »

*fistpump* Out of eight Giant Emus that were on my map when I embarked to this awesome volcano, all eight are now caged and ready for training.

And I didn't even chokepoint them very much.

YEAHHHHH-
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31319 on: October 26, 2013, 04:15:58 pm »

Sealed myself in to defend against a minotaur, shortly after migrants arrived, and shortly after that, ANOTHER minotaur showed up. The migrants were promptly slaughtered. After a while another migrant wave and an elven caravan showed up. Minotaurs slaughtered them too. A goblin ambush then showed up, killed the minotaurs, and ran away when a human caravan showed up.

Yay!

So I unsealed my fort to let the humans in. They traded, left, and all was calm for a while. I left the gate open while everyone was claiming corpses and socks from the two dead migrant waves.

The dwarven caravan arrives, with four wagons. Nice. They're entering the gates, when a goblin siege arrives. A full blown siege, after only one ambush. So they kill off a few haulers, and approach the gates, with the depot the first thing they see. They get a face full of caravan guard. It's enough to scare off the seige, but now the dwarves are all upset because of all the death (many of the migrants from my first 5 waves were family to the migrants in the late 6th and 7th waves), and my very poorly equipped, poorly trained military of 3 men are on the verge of going insane themselves. They've already put down 3 berserkers, and a couple more berserkers have tried to attack my miners. And they got attacked by a violent ghost.

Ah, but it is still pretty satisfying watching 7 legendary miners tear through a bed of rock, whether it's my quarry or space for burial.

Also, is it a glitch that a dead macedwarf, from the caravan guard that was just leaving as the first minotaur showed up, doesn't have an option to engrave a slab available? He's risen as a ghost, nonviolent, but I can't slab him. I've recovered his body, now, so as soon as I have enough coffins, I can lay him to rest, but it's still somewhat odd that I can't do it with a slab.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2086 2087 [2088] 2089 2090 ... 3842