Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2074 2075 [2076] 2077 2078 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096622 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31125 on: October 04, 2013, 09:35:46 am »

Got my first taste of the fortress defense werewolves, and thank armok for copper helmets and bloodsteel swords. My two swordsdwarves, with the aid of out recently discovered guardian, managed to route the paltry band of bloodthirsty lycanthropes with just some minor skin tears and bruises. An unlucky Drow mercenary wound up having to go home riding a wagon because all her limbs got broken, but on the upside she donated both of her bladeshields to my swordsdwarves.

A deep drow assassin also got the short stick and blundered into my tiny herd of tuskoxen and was mercilessly stomped to death, earning one of the tuskoxen cows the name of Bowlrusset. So far research has been slow going at best due in part to a lack of needed resources. But otherwise this limestone blight upon the world is doing quite well! Even made into a Barony!

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31126 on: October 04, 2013, 10:49:49 am »

Today was a good day.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31127 on: October 04, 2013, 11:19:50 am »

What in the world killed them? Whatever the case, most impressive.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31128 on: October 04, 2013, 11:25:37 am »

A cave in on an artifact bone weaponrack, which is surprisingly intact.
I really thought demons put up more of a fight.
I'm looking for a megabeast now.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31129 on: October 04, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »

tried out masterwork
something went weird, my antivirus detected a virus in one of the .exe files (nanofortress.exe or something)
It was some sort of keylogger and so I removed it
tried to play, all my trees were replaced by these bizarre flashing tiles that cycle between seemingly everything
was annoyed, reinstalled the file with the virus to see if I could at least make that work
that did nothing
now I need to uninstall masterwork and don't really know how to
bit of a pity
I don't bite.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31130 on: October 04, 2013, 02:54:22 pm »

A kea broke free. Doc Tekkud let it out of its cage, it decided it much rather'd be wild and free.
I struggled to remember why I had it in the first place.
A group of keas had bothered the Fort many years past, and it only seemed fitting to keep the survivors prisoner.

Yet seeing this one kea, the last sole survivor fly away - I ordered no marksdwarf onto the Fortifications. Let it fly.

In other animal related news, the spider creche is completed and awaiting inhabitation.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31131 on: October 04, 2013, 03:42:36 pm »

demons are heavy

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31132 on: October 04, 2013, 11:34:15 pm »

I'm embarking on Pitlords as we speak.

Had I known the name beforehand, I would have done a 6-miner embark.

I'm going to do my best to dig a pit over a hundred z-levels deep. maybe 200 if I can get it from the top of the mountain to the bottom of HFS.
I don't bite.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31133 on: October 05, 2013, 04:22:17 am »

I finally got around to continuing Hoistedlens, with its single vampire inhabitant, haunted by ghost babies and trying not to step on any of the multitude of turkey poults running around underfoot. After a few lonely seasons, broken up only by the sound of kobold thieves making off with the possessions of those who had died aboveground, I got migrants. Migrants with crossbows. These guys were tough as nails, and immediately set to wiping out all the native wildlife before I could get the vampire up to the lever to let them in the fort.

As soon as I did? Goblin siege! This turned out fairly hilariously, as the siegers tromped right up to my fortress doors, knocked them down (blasted Trolls!) and stood there befuddled by the retracted bridge while one of the brave dwarves (Inod Somethingorother) repeatedly tried to reload a cage trap on the other side, only to continually get distracted by the milling hordes. He finally snapped and began firing his crossbow at them, occasionally ducking behind a corner to avoid the lone goblin bowman's return fire. That dwarf pretty much ended the siege, as the harried goblins finally got sick of crossbow bolts bruising their limbs through their various garments and fled.

Shortly thereafter, a dwarven merchant caravan showed up, only for a bunch of goblin ambushes to appear. They were slaughtered to the last gob by the caravan guards, only managing to kill one poor dwarf woodcutter, who'd been ambushed from hiding.

Then I lost something like seven dwarves to kobolds. Encouraged by the easy plunder they'd had while my vampire was holed up underground, they came out of hiding and filled poor Inod full of arrows, ending his legend. These guys were crack archers, firing arrows like they were gatling gun rounds. Worse, I forgot that non-thief kobolds were still lockpickers and trapimmune, and one managed to get past the main defenses before I was able to retract the bridge. That little bastard ran around causing havoc and death until he ran out of ammo, at which point he was shot to death himself. Still, one squad of kobolds caused many times more damage than the previous two goblin ambushes and the previous siege combined.

But, while I waited, I was not idle. A dwarf made an amethyst bed, which of course went to the Mayor's room, but the real important work was happening up above: A set of magma-proof floodgates and lever mechanisms were set up as I dug channels and fortifications linking the volcano to an arrow-slit just above the entrance to the fort. I lost a good dwarf to the magma (it was a lot faster than I was led to believe. Possibly some pressure was exerted from the magma pipe?) but the next siege is going to have a !!Fun!! surprise in store for them...  :D
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31134 on: October 05, 2013, 05:22:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plump helmet men sighted for the first time: All eaten by zombies. Regretful loss.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31135 on: October 05, 2013, 07:02:04 am »

No idea why people claim it would be impossible to be attacked by the elfses in the current build.
Chopped down a few trees. Year later the diplomat arrives and tells me I should stop and I dad been warned.
This year no elven caravan but an attack party (note that I didn't cut down further trees). Left after the first one got hurt by a weapon trap - like one would expect from elves.
Strangely enough they are still listed with (P) in the diplomacy screen.

So I can't confirm that you couldn't get elves to attack you its pretty easy in my experience.

Sure, if you get elven diplomats, which AFAIK only happens if you use the dfhack fixdiplomats command. In vanilla, you don't get elven diplomats.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31136 on: October 05, 2013, 09:21:39 am »

Well it seems an engraver may have accidentally been crushed into oblivion trying to repasture the guardian of armok. He went MIA out of nowhere during a mass warlock ambush. I've placed an empty coffin with a headstone as a gesture of pleading for the poor dwarf's forgiveness for being unable to find his/her remains. Several unlucky warlocks also found themselves trampled into a bloody purple paste on the fort's front lawn, though one of the tuskoxen responsible died in the process. A kobold also made off with a summoning tome that got left in the Depot last year. Probably going to have ambushes if they steal anything else.

Trade with the humans went well enough, wound up with some boxes of gold and steel bars, a few muskets, and booze. Now the caravan from home is here, so I need to brace for the coming attacks that come with the caravans...

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31137 on: October 05, 2013, 10:26:01 am »

Just got my third wave of immigrants. And my first ever fell mood... Unfortunately, said fell dwarf is one of the ones in the current migration wave. And is currently outside on the surface. Along with several undead critters of various kinds. I serious doubt the dwarf is going to path into the airlock so he's going to remain outside until he either goes insane, or gets munched by said undead critters. Meanwhile other members of the migration wave are making their way into the air lock as they manage to shake off pursuit by undead.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31138 on: October 05, 2013, 10:52:16 am »

Just got my third wave of immigrants. And my first ever fell mood... Unfortunately, said fell dwarf is one of the ones in the current migration wave. And is currently outside on the surface. Along with several undead critters of various kinds. I serious doubt the dwarf is going to path into the airlock so he's going to remain outside until he either goes insane, or gets munched by said undead critters. Meanwhile other members of the migration wave are making their way into the air lock as they manage to shake off pursuit by undead.
Go build a butcher's shop inside the airlock as quickly as you can.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31139 on: October 05, 2013, 11:46:01 am »

Go build a butcher's shop inside the airlock as quickly as you can.
I'll have to remember that for next time if it happens. As it is, the airlock is also the trade depot and the fell mood dwarf got munched. I'll have to examine her slab to see what she was planning to make.... I do have the ability to override the airlock to have both doors open or closed, (Unfortunately, I need the override to deal with the damn liaison. Silly git insists on a clear path to the great outdoors after he finishes chatting with my leader. But for the most part, I can get things inside the fort without compromising the airlock. Have it designated as a meeting area to lure immigrants. And have a civilian alert that includes all of the fortress except the airlock. So when a wave of immigrants appear.
1. Have airlock access-able to great outdoors.  Immigrants path (after evading undead) due to meeting area zone.
2. Toggle airlock. Invoke civilian alert. Immigrants path into fortress.
3. Toggle airlock again. Turn off alert. Wait for next group to meander on in. And if nothing else, I'm ready for a caravan to fight its way inside.

Tempted to put a lever inside the airlock to allow toggling of it. But haven't figured out a good method of resetting it (want lever inside to get faster response to allowing immigrants in. I figure an immigrant can throw the lever faster than a fortress resident since
    a. They have no current jobs.
    b. They're 'right there' next to the lever.
). But since I still need a control lever inside the fortress. Having a duplicate inside the airlock as well is ... problematical ... as regards switching it back to the default state.
Pages: 1 ... 2074 2075 [2076] 2077 2078 ... 3842