Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2067 2068 [2069] 2070 2071 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097075 times)

xvan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31020 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:51 am »

No sieges, just one ambush in 7 years, and almost no thieves.

So i amuse my dwarfs by taking falcon mans by their necks, dipping them on magma and watching the fireworks  show... Those little pyros made a pair of forest fires... but that's part of the fun.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31021 on: September 25, 2013, 02:50:38 pm »

2nd Moonstone 253, I read in the legends that the war commander of the goblin civ tamed some giant cave swallows, so I'm rushing to get the outside portion of the fort roofed over with bridges, about halfway done.

Also, I had accidentially trapped one of my dwarves and didn't realize it until I got a message saying urist mctrapped had been missing for a week, whoops.

The local magma crab is still taking potshots at ravens. Part of the reason I had walled off the volcano tube was so that my dwarves wouldn't get any jobs to clean the basalt lying around and apparently there's still some basalt getting over the wall. So, I just turned off the cleaning labor for all of the dwarves.

I thought the cleaning labor was only for inside? They don't go and clean the blood off the ground when a siege is over :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31022 on: September 25, 2013, 03:24:50 pm »

The bandits have come and are being a general nuisance camping out on the map-edge. It's a single squad of bowmen lead by a mounted pikeman on an armored horse. The drow arrived just a day ahead of them, so we may get some trading done and their guards may route the small assault force.

They did, though two guards were wounded and the merchants got the piss scared out of them (though not to the extant to flee.) Two additional broodmothers will bolster our horde of broodling warriors, as I've found they don't need to create a masterwork but they still need to  be lead by a trueborn.

I feel a little bad making an army this way, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Also our broker made a gneiss coffin, which... Really is a bad omen.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31023 on: September 25, 2013, 04:04:22 pm »

First siege and it's a lame platoon of bowgobs with a pikeman as the leader riding a giant cave sparrow and..... the pathing bug with flying mounts hits as they stop a short distance outside the entrance and are not moving.

I'm using the time to set up a makeshift hospital just in case.

Edit: Also, this embark is a barren wasteland and yet it rains year round, almost all the time. Seems like I should be in a jungle biome with this much rain.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:26:44 pm by smjjames »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31024 on: September 25, 2013, 04:36:52 pm »

Stormlord Zulgar is evidently extremely fertile, as she's given birth to twins twice now. Also, lady luck smiles upon us as we discover the last piece of what she needs to revive the the Arcane Institute of The Rustic Urns, platinum bearing stones, poking out of the cavern walls. Platinum was a needed catalyst that our head scientist lacked to begin research on the subject, and amazingly it was an overly happy (now that he had a pair of shoes pants and a shirt to call his own) Sisal that came bearing news of the find. He'd been  gathering some common silk when he spotted the shiny white ore, and while like any broodling he is incredibly stupid as far as what is an isn't important goes, his inner truedwarf spoke to him about its immense importance to the Stormlord and with a bundle of gathered silk in hand he came back and told the first dwarf he saw.

As a reward he was given a second cabinet to store his old clothing in, and that seemed to please his simple mind immensely. We've also discovered the remains of several fossiles, and decided to begin searching for more, in hopes of also discovering lost relics of the Rustic urn, scattered across the caverns in our lost war with the Ashlanders.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31025 on: September 25, 2013, 05:34:44 pm »

Damn, food crisis!

The population apparently outstripped the rate of the farm to produce fungi and the meat ran out, made another farm plot to boost the food production and slaughtering some animals. The elven caravan will arrive soon and I have a secure well just in case, so I'm confident we'll get through this.

Edit: Oh hey, they brought a tigerman, yay, no mandate mayor! Too bad I'm rather low on meat.

Edit2: And they only brought a pangolin and a grizzly other than the tigerman :P

Edit3: Hm, I can't set the tigerman to be mayor, so I guess he has to be elected?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:08:39 pm by smjjames »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31026 on: September 25, 2013, 06:38:37 pm »

The Ashlanders have come for us. Thankfully they met not dwarves, but their own fellow elves in battle, and the sylvan elves showed their nomad cousins no mercy. Singing arrows tore through the air from the caravan guards, knocking down three of the ashland bladedancers while one found himself decapitated with a swipe of a great hunter's spear.

A leopard recently bought from the drow met its end, as it joined the elves in battle before being properly trained for battle, being lopped in half by an ashlander while to bit and clawed the leg of another. Shasad heard the clash and grabbed her sword, ready to face these impertinent nomads as well, and when she exited the gneiss walls of The bastion, she took advantage of the enemy leader's distraction, and removed his head from his body, saving the elf he was dueling from a surely gruesome fate as well. She was awarded the title of The Slothful Zenith by the elves for killing the enemy commander, likely being called slothful for her slow arrival to the battle compared to their own warriors. When one claimed his spear would have no trouble dealing with her, Shasad removed his arm bearing the weapon before punching him in the head hard enough to fracture his skull. The sylvan speardancer fnished the uppity ashlander off with a swift decapitation. Another demanded she show her face and called her a bearded freak which she seemed to take offense to because her response was to bowl him over and cut off both his shins. Not sure if it was for the implication of her looking like a man or for the lack of a beard, as a dwarf woman has right to be offended by either one.

The battle ended quickly after that, with the literal rolling of heads and the ashlanders laying in pools of their own blood and vomit. The took a doe dewbeetle nymph and the leopard with them, the former of which greatly upset Shedim riddlegravle, who has a love of the insects. Shasad has decided that she will take on several broodlings, as will the other dwarf she leads, and arm them with the plunder of the battle. While she is a formidable warrior, she is no Tholtig Cryptbrain and can't hope to hold the horde of ashlanders back alone, and while the ashlander weapons may be of questionable materials, they hold an edge better than the silver and copper they have available, as they've no master weaponsmiths to make the masterworks one would need to counter them.

Warlocks also struck not too long before, but they met with virtually no success, only managing to be used as impromptu projectiles and trap clutter, their spells of rot and pain having no effect on the horrifying iron visage that bore down upon them as they tried to flee, and their staves failed to so much as dent its metal skin. Armok will be pleased by offerings of their remains.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31027 on: September 25, 2013, 08:17:13 pm »

Year six of my latest fort.

It's crawling along in the mid-teens in FPS, but I don't want to abandon it.

I'm quietly waiting for it to die.

To amuse myself, I've trapped a Forgotten Beast in an Arena and am feeding it wildlife.

Well, dumping wild life in so that it incinerates them.

Oh, three-eyed, three-horned fire-ball spitting dung beetles are fun.

I unintentionally made a perfect arena for it, since it has plenty of room to hammer foes from a distance.

I'll try to trap more forgotten beasts and place them in small behind the arena, so that I can unleash a variety of foes onto whoever so provokes my wrath.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31028 on: September 25, 2013, 08:50:15 pm »

I haven't been paying enough attention to my fort's animal population, it's amenities, or just about any aspect other than trying to prevent dehydration. Even with five 5x5 farm plots and three stills running nonstop, people were dying of thirst.

It's stabilized now, but due to my lack of attentiveness I've had a cat-splosion. And a dog-splosion. And llama-splosion. And pig-splosion. I also still haven't placed any tables or chairs aside from the mayor's, and the spot where the wagon was is still the designated meeting area.

Also, for some reason some enemy units got stuck just off screen during a siege. I killed all the gobs on map, but I'm still listed as under siege. No migrants and no merchants for the past 3 years.

I didn't realize that there were units off screen until I noticed some forbidden weapons and armor in the stock menu. I thought that I had neglected to d-b-c some part of the map after the siege, and tried zooming to an <<iron breastplate>>. It zoomed to a tile on the edge of the map with nothing on it.

Anyone know of any ways around this? I've tried searching on the forums, but couldn't find any solutions.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31029 on: September 25, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »

Could try slayrace goblin, that may kill them off.

A trueborn young dwarf was killed today during the warlock ambush that followed the humans. A kobold blundered into him while he was fleeing the massive raptor-warlock-caravan guard clash and shanked the poor kid. It was a shame, as he had a bright future ahead of him as a stone and pottery crafter, as he had a fey mood the year before. The dwarf who found him, an engraver named Ushat, has since been assigned to lead a full unit of broodlings so we'll have a constantly ready team of soldiers ready to strike any aggressor down.  He's already distinguished himself as a brutal unarmed opponent with the same preference for strangulation as the Guardians of Armok, as he ran down and choked the life out of the offending kobold. He would have killed a wizard saboteur too but apparently kobold strangling takes precedence over killing potential kidnappers.

In light of this, a necropolis/catacomb has been ordered to be dug and engraved, and the several pets that died in the last two battles (a moleweasle, dewbeetle, and two drakes) receive a smaller one. I knew that coffin mood was a bad sign.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31030 on: September 25, 2013, 09:32:35 pm »

Already tried that. Unfortunately they can't be targeted, since they aren't loaded on the map. I'll probably try resurrecting a dead goblin and use the force siege command, see if that will make them enter the map.

Edit: Apparently resurrected goblins don't count as members of a civilization for the purposes of the command. I may have to just abandon this fort.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:37:59 pm by BlackFlyme »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31031 on: September 25, 2013, 10:03:26 pm »

Already tried that. Unfortunately they can't be targeted, since they aren't loaded on the map. I'll probably try resurrecting a dead goblin and use the force siege command, see if that will make them enter the map.

Edit: Apparently resurrected goblins don't count as members of a civilization for the purposes of the command. I may have to just abandon this fort.

Well that sucks.

A necromancer saboteur has afflicted several workers with skinrot and as such a hospital is being set up so they can have the skin excised piece by piece. Until then they'll have to deal with the problems of it, mostly the excruciating pain. Also, while digging through inconclusive research we've rediscovered the lost arts of beast armoring and mass printing of books, as well as Stormlord Zulgar's ultimate goal: The Dwarven Academy of Magic has been restored, and the first school to be reopened will of course be that of the Stormtempest. Still more discoveries were made as the chief medical dwarf distributed the knowledge amongst the broodguard to to best harm the goblin menace with an extended study of goblinoid nerves and musculature and the ways of alchemy were saved from the piles of other inconclusive results.

EDIT: A goblin attack claimed the stormlord's eldest daughter and younger son, leaving both pairs of twins incomplete. The enemy was driven off however, mostly because of the Stormlord's webimmunity because the fuckers rode in on giant drowspiders. Which I still think shouldn't be fucking mounts and forgot to adress before gennng the world. They irritate me so much that following Erith's death I slayraced the annoying little prats. Erith died in the webs on a trap, and Olon the baby was killed by a flagellant.

Honestly from now on any trace of giant drowspiders is getting the whole goblin force slayraced because I'm in no mood to put up with their shit.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31032 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:07 am »

The Dwarven Academy of Magic

I can't help but imagine the little dwarves in little sailor fukus.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31033 on: September 26, 2013, 07:18:16 am »

The Dwarven Academy of Magic

I can't help but imagine the little dwarves in little sailor fukus.
Such a visage is hilariously disturbing but it's more along the lines of plate armor and fur cloaks.

Speaking of which, the two skinrot afflicted dwarves died of infection. Guess that wasn't something they could just live with, but it is greatly irritating; gonna have to dredge up the script I got from Telgin to remove the lover statuses they had so they can remarry and continue to pump out new dorfs to lead the Broodguard. A crash spared Stormlord Zulgar's children and gifted us instead of flagellants on drowspiders, unmounted marksgobs lead by a beakdog mounted flagellant. The result was more or less the same since the goblins couldn't shoot while tangled up in silk from the Stormlord.

Apparently the extra weapons didn't take ether so tis back to the drawing board; I'm sick of flagellants especially since half of them aren't using scourges, they're using what is ostensibly a mace and in general need variety with their weaponry.

Honestly I wish I had started this as a community fort.... Such story potential either way....

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31034 on: September 26, 2013, 02:31:55 pm »

The human merchants from yadda yadda have arrived!

*few days later*

A force of darkness has arrived! And naturally right alongside where the caravan is. I'm not too worried about the siege itself, I just hate to have to clean up the dead caravan crap....

Along with the goblins glutchy flying mounts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:40:23 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 2067 2068 [2069] 2070 2071 ... 3842