Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2059 2060 [2061] 2062 2063 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095420 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30900 on: September 17, 2013, 11:23:30 am »

Gremlin spotted! Wait, I thought they were mountain creatures? I guess that changed since I played last.

I don't know how common they are, might set up a gremlin trap down in the caverns.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30901 on: September 17, 2013, 11:24:38 am »

Gremlins are extremely rare: 1-2 per region. You might not see one again for years, or at all.

Sad news; my captive necromancer died in his cage. Now there are no surviving necromancers. The undead still came to play one more time since then, though. Happier news; I caught two more werebeasts: a weregecko and a second werecivet. And several goblin prisoners. I think I'll expose them to the werebeasts and see how many I can get going.

No migrants in years, though, given that I'm well over the migrant cap. I also disabled the child cap so I won't have to put up with more infants. I did lose six dwarves: half of my ranger squad and an off-duty soldier that tried to recover one of the wounded during a siege. Enemy bow squad. The marksdwarves wouldn't pull back behind the fortifications, they just stood there and got shot at. Two of the newer recruits dodged right off the wall they were standing on into the moat below, and were shot to pieces while drowning. Again, they chose not to stop shooting for just a second in order to climb out of the water. The soldier, being off-duty, was terrified of the goblins and thus ran around on top of the wall whilst being pincushioned, carrying a wounded archer, instead of running back into the fort. Both of them died because he was too fucking stupid to get out of the line of fire. Fucking dwarves...

Since then, the tantrums have settled down and I've been working within the fort mostly. I did order a bunch of civilian dwarves to start training in all three squads. The dwarves really prefer to eat and drink from the prison's food stocks, and on the prison's tables. Massive pain in the ass.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30902 on: September 17, 2013, 11:32:48 am »

Since then, the tantrums have settled down and I've been working within the fort mostly. I did order a bunch of civilian dwarves to start training in all three squads. The dwarves really prefer to eat and drink from the prison's food stocks, and on the prison's tables. Massive pain in the ass.

Traffic control the food with restricted traffic and you'll get a lot less hits.  It's distance to the item they want, as far as I've been able to tell.  I usually have to restrict the jails just to keep them from grabbing food from the farm and then eating next to a prisoner foaming at the mouth.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30903 on: September 17, 2013, 01:18:19 pm »

Decided to play as kobolds on masterwork with a slightly upped embark count, bringing a trio of shalswars (some kind of raptor relative) a mithril bar for a machete, two gold bars to make some trade shinies, three giant jackrats, some sling bullets and slings for self defense (as we did embark on a cave and I expect much trouble from the underground,) an anvil, fur for nice fur cloaks and leather for armor, and some kind of expensive cave spider venom that I assume belongs to the nastier variety for later.

Aptly, the RNG gave the place the name of Cavernpoked.

Taking all bets on some underground nightmare ripping them all apart!

EDIT: After migrants came we had the bolpower to make a forge and some machetes. I sent the two meleebolds down, and they were at first amazed by the plethora of useful vermin remains that could be used for food, and then horrified by the discovery of two dead Nith.

Now certainly, Nith and Kobolds didn't live the same way. Bolds learned the ways of civilization while Nith seemed content to scrable about unseen hunting the smaller members of cavern wildlife, occasionally being taken in by Drow to learn things and see the world.

However, they were still the tiny relatives of kobolds who deserved better. They searched about, throwing their little twig torches behind them to mark their way when they saw a pale-skinned brute, a cave troll. Unlike normal trolls that frequent the surface and fight for the goblins and orcs the things were mad slavering monsters, and they could just make out the tiny scars on its right arm where the nith had scratched and bit to defend themselves.

The resolved to go forth and avenge their tiny kin, a cry of vengeance on their muzzles, even if it didn't sound all that intimidating. There was certainly no desire to prove themselves to the rest of the tribe factored in there either. I swear.

One of them was seized by the troll as they charged after the leader of the two was more or less punted back down the slopping ground, and in desperation bit the troll's hand as it raised her to use as a drumstick on the wall, prompting it to drop her in frustration and try to stop the bleeding. This was a fatal mistake, as despite the awkwardness and desperation, the troll found himself without a head as the bold dropped to the ground, having swung awkwardly whilst flailing about and managed to slice it's head off at the shoulder.

Unfortunately its howl of pain from getting its hand chewed on drew two more... Will the little machete-bolds survive? probably not.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30904 on: September 17, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »

Hmm, diagonalised carts generally move in straight[1] (if diagonal) lines, so it's not an option for plotting curves or the like. However, there's some potential for doing logic work with them by switching them via roller.
Let's use a cart moving from 'bottom left' to 'top right', i.e. SW to NE:
- rollers working S->N and W->E will simply re-establish their speed in the current direction.
- rollers working N->S switch their movement direction to NW->SE
- rollers working E->W switch the movement direction to SE->NW

Similarly, rollers working N->S will switch carts moving SW->NE to NW->SE and carts moving SE->NW to NE->SW.

Once a cart's moving diagonally, encountering rollers will only switch it between diagonals. To return to cardinal movement, you must ram the cart into a wall. I have a wall-ringed 'billard table' testing ground (size 18x35), with rollers around the edges to return the cart to the starting position. Current power consumption is around 700, and i haven't installed half of what i want tested. I started out with a simple S->N starting track and E<->W rollers to send the cart on different diagonals. Today, i've created the first latches and the first functional device - a repeater (of course):

All the vertical lines are carved track. Orientation doesn't matter when the cart's moving on a diagonal, it won't follow tracks anyway. The design is pretty simple, all rollers are currently 'low' speed to make it easier to follow the cart's moves, it's just two closed loops, each with a pressure plate to activate the neighbour's 'exit' roller, which will time out once the cart's in that loop long enough. Schematics:
Code: [Select]
.....S..
....p...
...E...W
..s.....
.....N..
e...w
...P.
..n..

N,S etc. - rollers pushing in the indicated direction, capitals the rollers in the first, minuscules rollers in the second loop. Pressure plate p, when passed, activates roller w, pressure plate P activates roller E. E must be de-activated by lever to start the sequence. In this configuration, each plate repeats with a period of ~155 steps, and the cycle is stable. Longer loops (at least with 'low' speed rollers) suffer from 'orbital decay', one movement component tends to be bigger than the other, with the final result that the cart misses the next roller and leaves the array. At least that could serve as another timing device...

[1] okay, mostly straight, because of the way friction works. But when working on normal track-engraved floor, friction is so low that it'll take 50 tiles for a lowest, 200 for a low and 1250 for a highest-speed cart to lose all of its movement part in that direction.
o.k., noted as another possibility - use non-track floor and diagonalise a highest-speed minecart with lower-speed rollers. That should plot curves, sort of.

P.S.: the water-logic base-seven adder works. It's absurdly impractical in the current implementation, but i added 1+4+6, and it worked as desired: the 1 was correctly loaded, the first addition got it to five, and adding six got the value to seven. Clearing the 'pumped' memory then loading the remainder accurately got a four into storage. There'd be a lot of automated machinery required to queue up all the necessary operations to implement that as a proper adder, though, not even to mention the extra hacks needed to get a (not pumpable) 'one' back out of memory and dealing with 'carries' when advancing to numbers with more than one heptal place.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:49:18 pm by Larix »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30905 on: September 17, 2013, 05:28:31 pm »

Oof, going through a bit of a bad FPS drain from something, I know it's not fluids, the merchants probably caused a bit of FPS drain, though not THAT much. I think it might be the pathing while I clear out the trees off of the second cavern layer and bring them back into the fort via dumping them.

Could also do some quantum stockpiling or something, ESPECIALLY for the metals storage.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:41:09 pm by smjjames »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30906 on: September 17, 2013, 06:00:50 pm »

There is much thumb twiddling in FurnaceClans at this time, mostly by the Overfiend.  I wait for them to transport not a bit of rock.  Not some rock.  A metric crapload of rock. 

Twiddle.

Twiddle.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30907 on: September 17, 2013, 06:40:15 pm »

AAA! FB with poison gas has appeared on the second cavern layer, a towering feathered lobster (again).

*scrambles military and orders all civillians to get the hell outta there*.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30908 on: September 17, 2013, 06:51:19 pm »

don't mind me

just doing a mountain embark

hey look my mountain has a sedimentary layer! sweet, I'll have steel and coal for sure! this should be a breeze

seems like its mainly chalk

cool some opals

and wow some petrified wood

and more chalk

wow, this is a lot of chalk

oh hey I got to another layer
oh
its granite
thats igneous intrusive isnt it

so

so

fuck

NEVER MIND GUYS I FOUND A TON OF MAGNETITE
I LOVE YOU TOADY
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:53:45 pm by Cuddles »
I don't bite.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30909 on: September 17, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »

You might get a layer with better chances of iron and theres always goblinite.

Anyways, shortly after that previous FB (whose syndrome so far is only giving sleepyness), I get a 3 eyed iguanadont with a poisonous sting. I bet its stinger(s) are on its thumb(s). It's on the other side of the cavern lake in layer one, so it doesn't pose an immediate threat and since my military has already been alerted....

Edit:
I LOVE YOU TOADY

Sedimentary layers often contain tons of magnetite. :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:59:49 pm by smjjames »

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30910 on: September 17, 2013, 07:10:39 pm »

You might get a layer with better chances of iron and theres always goblinite.

Anyways, shortly after that previous FB (whose syndrome so far is only giving sleepyness), I get a 3 eyed iguanadont with a poisonous sting. I bet its stinger(s) are on its thumb(s). It's on the other side of the cavern lake in layer one, so it doesn't pose an immediate threat and since my military has already been alerted....

Edit:
I LOVE YOU TOADY

Sedimentary layers often contain tons of magnetite. :)

yeah I was just super buttmad because I was getting none of it. I was gonna /ff that fortress out of rage.
I don't bite.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30911 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:13 pm »

Well, I decided to start another dwarf fort (largely due to frustration of not having any firesafe blocks and no means to get any because you know, the clay oven can't make bricks in kobold camp.

Decided to make the military rely on raw skill, using daggers and knuckdusters, as well as making a point of hunting for valuables of the nonmineral sense. So far we've found a batch of relics, two  collections of fossiles, and even one of the fabled bones of armok. As our lead daggerdorf descended with war mastiffs in two, he found and descended into a passage leading to the next cavern layer and stumbled up a small group of hivefighters. Deciding to count thier equipment as relics in need of being reclaimed, I have had him attack.

And upon getting a skin tear that did nothing even permanent, she dropped her dagger and ran away, leaving the mastiffs to fight and possibly die.

My soldiers disappoint me sometimes.

EDIT: The mastiffs did better than the armed and moderately armored dwarf. Granted two got minor injuries (paw skin tears) but they managed to disarm and beat the hivefighters by bleedout, one of the two queens getting her throat torn out, the other and the drone generally being chewed up by two mastiffs apiece (one of them being the one to kill one of the others.) Sadly they earned no titles for claiming the antman artifacts for the fortress.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30912 on: September 17, 2013, 09:15:00 pm »

Well, I guess it's a pretty good thing she's in a freaking cage, then.

Current fort is progressing well. By embarking on a remote island, I've allowed my dwarves to build up a ridiculously large military, while also testing the best methods to cast raw ice in frozen areas. Conclusively, the bucket brigade method seems to be the best. Keeping water liquid in cold biomes depends upon magma, and the way the game handles transmitted warmth is odd, to say the least.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30913 on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:50 am »

A dragon appears! :D

Dragon proceeds to get ambushed by kobolds, dying of multiple wounds and the kobolds having no casualties.

):

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30914 on: September 18, 2013, 12:45:31 am »

A dragon appears! :D

Dragon proceeds to get ambushed by kobolds, dying of multiple wounds and the kobolds having no casualties.

):

Lol, faildragon.

I just had a great grouse FB with noxious secretions which died rather easily (although legendary axedwarf), however, I'm wondering if the transfer for the noxious secretions is working properly because the legendary axedwarf bit the FB and his mouth didn't gain a FB extract coating.

Edit: Ooh, gemstone humanoid FB made of grey chalcedony with poisonous vapors.

Edit2: Gemstone FB is dead, doesn't look like any of my soldiers caught the vapors.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:00:04 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 2059 2060 [2061] 2062 2063 ... 3842