Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2037 2038 [2039] 2040 2041 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094671 times)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30570 on: August 19, 2013, 12:53:13 pm »

Flooded my fort while trying to make a well. Did you know that it's a bad idea to use a river as a source for a well? The dwarves that didn't drown ended up in a dry urist tube, with no food or booze, and no access to the surface or a single miner. In short, water falls, everyone dies.

i use rivers all the time, but i use a floodgate to seal it off once my supply starts getting filled and the well 2 z levels above the area designed to hold the water.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30571 on: August 19, 2013, 12:56:53 pm »

A squad of macefrogs lead a by a sword frog assailed Landroads and The Heavenly Blades absolutely demolished them. Only shots they got in were a bruised forearm and lower left leg. Bits of frogmen are all over and there were few survivors.

Flooded my fort while trying to make a well. Did you know that it's a bad idea to use a river as a source for a well? The dwarves that didn't drown ended up in a dry urist tube, with no food or booze, and no access to the surface or a single miner. In short, water falls, everyone dies.

i use rivers all the time, but i use a floodgate to seal it off once my supply starts getting filled and the well 2 z levels above the area designed to hold the water.

I only put it one 1 above. I've gotten good about timing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30572 on: August 19, 2013, 02:42:05 pm »

I've gotten started with the military and no sooner had I gotten things started and set up, an Ettin shows up. It hung around the map edge for a moment and then made a beeline for the entrance and BAM, got caught in a cage trap.

Haven't decided what to do with the thing yet.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30573 on: August 19, 2013, 02:55:34 pm »

It seems Tun the cook was not fully purged of Carp influence. He randomly assailed Col. Kikrost and was subsequently cut to ribbons.

Methinks Wards of Armok will be a must throughout the fortress now.

Overland constructions are proceeding nicely and the water supply will be ready to receive as soon as smoothing out is complete!  The pile of migrants was certainly handy to do this in a timely manner.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30574 on: August 19, 2013, 05:09:21 pm »

well apparently it's vampiric. i don't think the wiki has record of such beasts.

i don't actually know for sure since i killed it before it hit me
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Tovical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30575 on: August 19, 2013, 05:21:32 pm »

I got to learn about migrants from previous forts today. I had abandoned a fortress after four years due to a tantrum spiral brought on by an unexpected giant wolverine zombie attack (part of the problem was due to the map having partially Terrifying terrain). In my new fortress, year two came around with the obligatory large wave of migrants... It turns out one of the migrants was a legendary miner from my old fortress - still in tantrum mode. He went right to my dining hall and then went on a killing spree.

One year later, the fortress has mostly recovered from the ensuing chaos, with more than thirty coffins to hold the casualties.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30576 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:46 pm »

I fear that my current fort might have gotten glitched because there is wierd behavior that I'm seeing via slay race, that is, the kobolds and goblins seem to be frozen or something because they had been there for some time.

I did get a kobold thief a ways back.

It's entirely possible that I had waited so long that things went right to sieges and there is some siege on the way somewhere somewhen.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30577 on: August 19, 2013, 07:09:43 pm »

I've got the entire fortress population working towards coffin construction and refuse hauling, not to mention reloading the cage trap corridor, when this fellow shows up:

Along with all his friends.

Naturally, I wanna catch this guy in my cage traps. But I'm out of empty traps - my animals stockpile is still full of the hostile rutherers, giant toads, and elk birds from the last goblin siege. Also, there's a sneaky wizard somewhere on my map.

I didn't want to waste time and run the risk of having the necromancer doing enough damage to the goblins to make Nagnod leave the map. Sooooo I dumped all the hostile rutherers, giant toads, and elk birds down a trash pit usually reserved for non-dwarf corpses in order to free up as many cages as possible.

Someday, I'll carve fortifications into the wall of that chamber and put a necromancer on the other side. Or something.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30578 on: August 19, 2013, 07:34:18 pm »

The water supply has been completed the dwarf caravan traded with for furs, two successive seiges broken with few survivors and I now get to see some titles and named arms.

Colonel Kikrost Steelsavaged
Title: The Dark Secret (Full title The Dark Secret of Spoil but the former sounds better on it's own)
Primary Weapon: Gorenshut Alkadol, "Pittedwitch, The Weighty Gems," a large meteoric iron dagger
Shield: Nomez Umstiz, "The Divirsions of Sizzling," a fine wooden kite shield.

Bladesdorf Aban Poisonedroses
Title: The Unionized Rein of Confidence
Primary Weapon: Ustbetan, "Breachedcalms," a large meteoric iron dagger

Bladesdorf Uvash Drummedhame
Title: The Author of Firsts

All named gear is the result of personal attachment, which is awesome. We now have a CMD and a psychiatrist, and we've applied for some trade licenses to attract branches of Bomrek's Bargains, Teduk's Fine Goods, and Urist's Steel Emporium and have begun turning the area around the depot into a proper market/socialization area that will hopefully look good once finished, what with it being built almost entirely from marble bricks.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30579 on: August 19, 2013, 11:53:12 pm »

No sooner do I get stone off the caravan and get some mining going (after smelting anthracite/limonite, making an anvil), then a trio of drakes go rampaging through my surface area. I create a quick squad hoping to drive them off after one starts going after my people. I'm currently down two dwarves, and I'd forgotten I'd embarked on an aquifer to make things more interesting. So now I'm pulling my miners so I can use the picks to attack the drake, who is by now mising all his teeth, bruised eyes, and, well.....

but the damn thing STILL won't die. Keep in mind this was all done with Dwarven fists.

once I hit more stone I'm totally setting up traps for some of them on the surface.

Finally, someone thought to actually go grab one of the iron picks I'd assigned them >.<

it only took 73 combat pages.

I do like, though, that right after the Drake ralphed, one of the squad members made a face to distract the Drake, and then two attacks later, the Drake's head sails off in an arc after being hit by the dusty end of the recruit's pick.

.....it REALLY is the little things that make this game so awesome. Now.

GET UNDERGROUND YOU DAMN HIPPY DWARVES!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:08:04 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30580 on: August 20, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »

Two moods have yielded some useless artifacts that have been put on display in the main water room/social garden. Frogmen, ferrics, and beakwolves have all met grizzly ends to The Heavenly Blades, the latter two following the arrival of the humans and gnomes, who were barred from entry last year by stranglers and frogmen attacking Landroads, as were the elves (who I restored to proper incompetent hippie status for the hell of it,) this year by the yearly frogman siege, who got ground up by a speargolem someone brought with them.

This is my first time seeing the gnomes, and I gotta say I'm happy t have met them, as I now have some muskets to arm a rifle squad with and will likely have more plus ammo from the humans. Plus the dead ferrics had a bunch of iron and silver swords so i can sell the plunder right from the battlefield.

Come winter my big fancy depot should be finished as well and I'll be able to show it off!

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #30581 on: August 20, 2013, 10:42:34 pm »

My fourth attempt to reclaim a fortress I rather like has met its end at the hands of another undead siege after 18 months.  I just got all the ghosts to shut up too.  My entryway is half lined with memorials, half lined with coffins.  Its an interesting look.

Didn't stop the hordes of zombies.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30582 on: August 20, 2013, 10:54:31 pm »

So, the undead siege refused to go away. My dwarves ate the entire stockpile of food, the farm wasn't producing enough to solve the problem, and they began refusing to do their jobs so they could hunt for nonexistent vermin. So I opened the doors and extended the bridge to allow the zombies in. Half of them got caught in cage traps, but the remaining ones managed to kill 90% of my fort. And while mopping up the remaining corpse army, another goblin siege appeared!

So I locked the remaining eleven dwarves back up, only for one of them to go berserk and shoot half of the rest to death with a crossbow, stopping only to kill all but one of my poultry population.

So I look over the remaining dwarves. Two children, a guy who's been bedridden since three sieges ago, a tantruming manager, a dwarf who's had half her chest caved in but isn't bedridden, and the vampire mayor who I locked in his quarters. So I let out the mayor, figuring that I need another set of hands and it'd be unlikely for him to eat anybody in the near future just because they'll all be so spread out.

Twenty seconds later, the mayor is my sole dwarf.

...I guess he worked up a thirst, being sealed away like that... He now wanders the sealed-up fortress, slowly carving out the last tunnel I was making, hoping to set up a defensible cavern entrance so I could hunt for food. He's haunted by no fewer than three ghost babies, and the migrants refuse to come to the perpetual siege that is Hoistedlens.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30583 on: August 20, 2013, 11:27:04 pm »

I just imagined that vampire chipping away at the wall with the pick, grumbling about the babies and shoving zombies out of his way when he decided to take a break, and continually shouting at said ghost babies to shut up and he'll get to them later.

Work continues slowly and a crematorium is built to dispose of the copious amounts of severed limbs and leftover bones that can't be put to use while the slag pit removes the copious piles of massive slag bars as the rest are put to use for a tiny slag barracks over the entrance where I intend to move the Heavenly Blades for their general training once i get them some private rooms; The Steelfangs will move into the barracks they've been using.

A famrhand went funny in the head and started shout at everyone to get out of his way or he'd beat them to death with Obok's dead leatherwing bat. According to his initial grab of a lump of gypsum, he's gonna be a stonecrafter.

Guess I can have him use all the schist we mined out by accident (I thought it was something else) to make rock posts so we can finally start brewing again. We've had to live on water because all the barrels and few pots we had are all taken up by meat and fish the second they get emptied.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30584 on: August 20, 2013, 11:36:27 pm »

Built my coinstar, managed to shut it down before major causalities when a waterskin, cloak, and three roasts were dropped with the changing of some orders.  Been slowly filtering dwarves through.  I'm working on a danger room right now. I want to compare the effectiveness of slade warhammer dwarves coinstared, danger roomed, and double roomed, along with candy armor vs steel armor.

Why? Because the hammer weighs as much as a steel suit of armor, and more then an order of magnitude heavier then a silver warhammer. My hammerdwarf squads haven't been incredibly effective thus far (specifically, they have been getting trounced by goblin lashers, hammerers, and macers, as well as archers. Archers I can stomach. Having a squad of six middling trained get murdered in melee, I'm not so happy about) I'm hoping there is a 'payoff' moment where, at a certain amount of armor user, agility, strength, and hammer skill, the voidhammer troops are quick enough to have the initiative, and actually powerful enough to explode goblins in a single strike.

That having been said, when the hammerdwarves land solid hits, they get a lot of "jammed the lower/upper body/skull through the brain" combat log enders. I haven't seen things being propelled away by the force of the blow yet either, which is upsetting.

C'mon Unbelievably strong dwarf army!
Pages: 1 ... 2037 2038 [2039] 2040 2041 ... 3842