Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2035 2036 [2037] 2038 2039 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094366 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30540 on: August 15, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »

I retook the undead-infested fort with a force of seven hammerdwarves.  They fought to the entrance, three made it inside.  One went instane from the stress, leaving a pair of lover dwarves in possession of the fort.  After walling themselves in, the male promptly died, leaving me with a one-dwarf fortress...

all migrants get to live outside and collect crap, build coffins to bury the dead outside (I alreayd have about 10 slabs to keep restless ghosts at bay), and suffer the regular necro-sieges.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30541 on: August 15, 2013, 10:02:29 pm »

The mountain-gator-and-flying-lungfish-infested river valley of Hoistedlens (I got lucky with the name) had a ridiculously early goblin siege. (Along with a batch of kobold thieves...) Luckily, I was able to capture the Rutherer mount of the bowman leader, and about 80% of the hammerers, and then one of my founders punched the rest to death. I did lose a number of dwarves who refused to return indoors fast enough, and a few people who got in the way after the siege breached the initial defenses, but it turned out pretty well. I then dug out a well, an extension to my storehouse, a huge dormitory for my main population, a set of rooms for the mayor, a wall around my wagon, an extension to my skybridge that will be the foundation for my hanging citadel, and a glorious tomb for the founders.

And then the game crashed.

I thought I had autosaves on, but that turned out not to be the case. That's fixed now, but I'm going to have to do all that over.  :(
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30542 on: August 16, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »

i'm up to three captured beasts already. a worm with deadly dust, a lizard with deadly blood and a blob of mud with deadly spittle.

still in the process of transferring the deadly blob though. haven't caught any sufficiently devastating beasts yet.

We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30543 on: August 17, 2013, 07:25:11 am »

My Sub-magma temple to Armok has developed a self-sustaining animal sacrifice system. Animals breed, and when the temple gets overcrowded, they fight and dodge into the magma sea, filling the temple with the sacred scent of charred flesh. Every now and then the dwarves impale the survivors with steel spikes to keep the temple's blood coating fresh.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30544 on: August 17, 2013, 09:58:54 am »

1st Moonstone, 256. It's six years into fort Lakechanneled, I've finished the walls and created the trap filled entranceway and have a wagon-only entrance-exit and I've turned invaders back on and increased the pop cap from 50 to 100. Time to do needed expansions and stuff and the roof as the whole thing is open air, lol.

So, BRING! IT! ON!

In other things, I actually had two dwarves die of old age already, must have been pretty old when they arrived. I have two male cats (one came as a stray in a later migrant wave) which have yet to adopt any owners, despite it being almost 7 years into the fort. I also got a female peregrine falcon some time back, no male has shown up yet, maybe I should pasture her or something because she sometimes hunts outside the walls and I don't want some goblin to pincushon her.

Edit: I've decided to go through the dwarves and do some reorganization, though it'll probably end up more or less as before.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:51:10 am by smjjames »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30545 on: August 17, 2013, 11:52:09 am »

Another goblin siege broken at Relicblaze - this time with no fortress casualties.  Sat back and let the water guns (turned on both the underground installation and the older test gun that fires onto the surface) and a few squads of marksdwarves sitting in fortifications deal with the attackers until they broke and ran.  Another clean-up to organize now.

And also have a humanoid composed of salt running around one of the caverns.  He should be trapped and spiked presently - which will bring the fort's semi- and mega- beast kill total up to 25.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #30546 on: August 17, 2013, 01:31:50 pm »

Another goblin siege broken at Relicblaze - this time with no fortress casualties.  Sat back and let the water guns (turned on both the underground installation and the older test gun that fires onto the surface) and a few squads of marksdwarves sitting in fortifications deal with the attackers until they broke and ran.  Another clean-up to organize now.

And also have a humanoid composed of salt running around one of the caverns.  He should be trapped and spiked presently - which will bring the fort's semi- and mega- beast kill total up to 25.

And now you will never have to import seasonings again.  Now if only you could find one made of pepper....

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #30547 on: August 17, 2013, 08:28:24 pm »

Started a fort out on a terrifying tundra with the goal of building an aboveground "city" with multiple rings of walls and buildings and whatnot. GraniteyGlory, which is a pretty awesome random name if I do say so myself.going by what the miners have dug up so far, the main building block will be basalt, not granite, but close enough.

The tundra is so far disappointing. The only weather so far has been snowstorms, and there's no undead or reanimation. Not nearly as fun of an aboveground fort as I was first expecting.

There are wild ogres though. Three ogres are currently laying an unofficial siege around the front door of the fort. they're just sitting there, because the door's locked and they can't passive-aggressively wander in and accidentally find themselves curb-stomping my dwarves now. The ogres outnumber the two hammerdwarves we brought, and I'm reluctant to send them out there to drive them off. Last time I tangled with wild ogres and a fledgling military both sides came out injured or dead, and I don't want to get crippled (or dead) soldiers in case undead suddenly spring out of nowhere.

Looks like the first constructions of Graniteglory will be delayed for a while.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30548 on: August 17, 2013, 09:04:55 pm »

use fortification marksdwarves. they don't kill quickly, but anything that feel pain will die to them with minimal risk.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Langolier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30549 on: August 17, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »

I just threw my elite marksdwarf, swordsdwarf, mace, hammer and spear dwarves all into a single squad which I have dubbed the power rangers. Idk why I find it so hilarious but I do

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30550 on: August 17, 2013, 10:23:32 pm »

So, due to my dwarves' steadfast refusal to use the well, approximately 90% of my fortress' baby supply is now stacked in a corner of the reservoir. This can only end well.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30551 on: August 17, 2013, 11:00:56 pm »

And now you will never have to import seasonings again.  Now if only you could find one made of pepper....

That one was actually the second FB composed of salt to show up.  Also have seen inorganic FB composed of goshenite, coral, and opal so far in this location.

And a feathered scorpion turned up right when I was logging in a cavern.  No time to get the civilians in and close the doors, so I made a head-on assault with some melee troops with a marksdwarf squad for backup.  Lots of chitlin pieces hacked off (including the stinger early on) and a marksdwarf got the kill.   (Though it quite likely bled out since partway though the fight I checked its wound status and it was "pale", missing a tale, stinger, three feet, and also was red in almost every other hit location.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30552 on: August 18, 2013, 07:53:16 am »

As I lost all my saves and other such goodies to a faulty storage device, I've had to redownload a great deal of DF copies for my mods. I thought I fired up Corrosion, but Civilization Forge works too.

My Chosen sight has a minimal aquifer (more annoying that it's there than in the way of anything,) but sadly ore will probably be hard to come by as it is all deep metals and none shallow. The area is warm with a stream providing a natura defense to the south, and only minimal hills in the dense forests.

My chosen civ is The Wordy City. Why? Tree humper Elf war. JACKPOT! Unfortunately it appears to be dead or dying. Not sure yet. Gonna make a copy of the region and embark with Group A hailing from the Wordy City and Group B hailing from the much more successful Oracular Metal.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #30553 on: August 18, 2013, 08:23:15 am »

The two hammerdwarves of Graniteglory are currently wailing on an outnumbered ogre for the last several days. The ogres busted the door down and the two dwarves charged them valiantly.

The ogres scattered like pins. Hilarity ensued as each soldier started chasing an ogre while the third ogre just sorta did his own thing, which involved running around on the surface. Lancidsins the second-in-command managed to catch up to an ogre and bash it into submission. The commander joined her soon afterwards and the two have been taking turns trying to cave the ogre's skull in.

64 pages of "the corpsecrusher strikes the ogre in the head with her war hammer, shattering the skull and bruising the muscle." The ogre's face must be a lump of meat with some bony bits, and it's still alive. Technically. USE YOUR FISTS, NOT YOUR HAMMERS.

Both soldiers are getting tired, hungry, and thirsty by now, and I'd prefer them to not get unhappy because of an ogre's thick skull. The other ogres have gone back to playing chicken at the front gate. the only thing keeping them out is the occasional dwarf coming out to stockpile blocks, which shoos the ogres away. it's all kinda funny to watch though.

In other news foul murk clouds have been spotted. I don't know what they do yet but if it's something terrible like a facemelting syndrome or facehusking syndrome it's gonna play havoc with my aboveground fort in the future.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30554 on: August 18, 2013, 08:57:21 am »

It is late spring, and out thin supplies are barely kept afloat by our tiny farm manned by our macedwarf. The survivors of the Wordy City know that the young will have to be ready to defend themselves at a young age, if they are to survive. Most needed facilities are in place already, save a water supply, which is desperately needed as booze will be scarce soon.

With any luck, we'll rebuild the civilization as best we can, and put many an elf to the blade.

Quite frankly, this may also be the first time I've ever had to make use of the classic trap hall defense, as due to limited dorfs it will be necessary.
Pages: 1 ... 2035 2036 [2037] 2038 2039 ... 3842