Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109106 times)

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3015 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:29 pm »

One exceptionally peeved mason is trying to pave over stairwells so I can flood my warehouse without drowning the furnace operators on the floor below in the process. "Lignite/coal stockpile" seemed like such an efficient idea on paper...
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Tabithda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: May 20, 2010, 11:05:37 pm »

I had two goblin kidnappers kidnap in the same month both of the immigrant children I had in the first year of my fort's existence.

I also had a grizzly bear chase my trader away shortly after I finished trading with the humans, but the caravan's guards killed it before it could do any damage to my dwarves or the booze I bought. Shortly after that I had a farmer get a strange mood, and after a rush to get the right workshop and materials he needed, I was rewarded with this:
Code: (Tishakastel, "Typhoonallies", a horse leather leggings) [Select]
This is a horse leather leggings. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with horse bone. On the item is an image of a fisher berry in horse leather.Arrrgh...

on a related note, is it possible to trade artifacts? Every time I try to bring the bins the things are kept in to the depot the dwarves seem to just drop them out on the floor where the bin sat.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:23:31 pm by NLegari »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: May 20, 2010, 11:08:19 pm »

no, no trading artifacts. :'(

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: May 21, 2010, 07:47:03 am »

Just witnessed the most badass ambush ever!

First, an ambush shows up at my gates, and gets crushed by the Nord men who have been standing there for years, combined with the cage traps. I move everybody to my dining hall/burrow.

In that dining hall I have a great waterfall connected to a river 6 or 7 lvls higher. suddenly I see al my dorfs sprint for the corner as arrows start flying from the friggin waterfall! One orc managed to get in the river, flush into my waterfall, survive the drop and starts shooting at 59 dorfs standing in the same room....

Luckily my axedorfs were also present and killed him before he could cause a bloodbath. 2 dorfs dead. I love this game.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: May 21, 2010, 08:10:21 am »

SanDiego's post made me chuckle.
I imagine an epic architectural achivement and dorfs falling into oblivion. Aaahhhhh, DF.
You know, the funny thing is that shortly after I posted it I saw two things - cloud of dust and my expedition leader falling several z-levels to his doom :D
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: May 21, 2010, 08:26:46 am »

My first seige attack from goblins occured recently... about 25 Goblins. As I ordered my dwarfs and stationed by my gates, i noticed the goblins stopped to hold positioned outside of my fortress... on the other side of my bridge, right next to my Flood Gate dam holding back lava.

After realeasing the lava (lava since its on the surface now) it was a truly wonderful sight seeing 15 goblins insta melt because they decided to hold there position next to my lava moat and flood gates :P my axe dwarfs made quick work of the rest.

Later that year, a Bronze Colossus decided to peak his head in and say hi..
The first thing he does is goes RIGHT for my lava flood gates.. and proceeds to destroy them... releasing lava all across my map..Luckly i was working on a water device to dump water on my enemies.. so i had to use up all the water I collected to douse the magma...

Too bad the lava didnt touched the Bronze Colossus.. that would of saved me the trouble of him attacking and killing several of my War Dogs i had stationed outside for Ambush look out.

And decided to fling of my war dog's against the wall of the map... 60 tiles away.

"Poor puppy!"
I thought, why did you have to go and kill my... wtf..

The Dog is still alive?! The colossus grabs my dog chucks him... my dog falls 5 z Lvls.. and the only major injury is a broken toe.

NOT only that, but the dog goes RIGHT back to his rope.

The Bronze Colossus is now closing on my bridge.. and i have no time to pull the lever to drop him in the lava..

I station my dwarf warriors right ontop of him.. knowing that it would be a fruitless battle.. i had to atleast right to save my fortress of Coalivory.

As i check in the battle, i noticed my dwarfs are just standing there.. doing nothing.. where did the Bronze Colossus go?

I checked the (u) to see what was up...

He got trapped in a cage.

.. w00t!

Now he sits in my Animal Pile waiting to be utilized  :P

Next year.. another Goblin Seige... and without my lava gates to flood them Ill have to use brute tactics.

35 mounted goblins decided to lay siege on my fortress.. followed by several trolls (why in heavens would a surgeon troll and a clerk troll decide to fight in a war is beyond me).

During this fierce battle of awesome, I decided to have my legendary engravers engrave in the walls of my barracks to recite the battle for our warriors.

i was able to catch 13 goblins in cages... the rest had to go through my Legendary axeman wielding Iron Axes (they would NOT use steel)... the battle was simply a slaughter.

One dwarf died.. which made a few of my axedwarfs unhappy seeing a death... I would think if they were in the military they wouldnt be so bothered by that.

Anyways... the engravings told of how my Broker and Mayor fails at there job...

well atleast one i found one engraving which stated "..The artworks relates to the killing of a kobold Laydus by the dwarf Zuglar Wheelcircled with a iron battle axe in Coalivory in the late summer of 1052 during The The third attempted theft at Coalivory".

I guess i have to wait a little bit til they recite the true wars :)

I <3 dwarf fortress

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3021 on: May 21, 2010, 10:55:13 am »

Tomerose just finished it's first year of existance and there is already a second dwarf stark raving mad. And again one of original 7. My dedicated grower/brewer succumbed to his shell fetish, my carpenter/mechanic did not get wood, the only thing he was asking for. Damn elves, where are they when you need them on a treeless map?
Then again, I could forge me an axe and try me luck in the caverns.
Only thing is, I can still see GCS' webs around...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:59 am »

In 31.xx, GCS webs != GCS. The webs are everywhere, and GCSs no longer cloak.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: May 21, 2010, 12:20:51 pm »

Gorgecrafts has fallen. At the worst possible time, an ambush of some 30 goblins and trolls attacked. The army was slaughtered, the traps failed, the vast rooms of treasure plundered.

:_(

The Fall of Gorgecrafts,
Granite, 1061
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: May 21, 2010, 12:29:37 pm »

mnjiman: a new game! Dwarven Tetherball!

chain atop a ledge at a high height.
 attach chain to beastie.
Contrive to have beastie smacked with hammers. or bronze collossi, I suppose.

----

In my own fort: sudden 20 dwarf migrations! Twice!
this attracts the attention of goblins. 20 dwarf massacres! Twice!

I'd say things have a way of working out, except that 2 of the dwarves massacreed are lovers from my starting 7.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3025 on: May 21, 2010, 01:21:56 pm »

In 31.xx, GCS webs != GCS. The webs are everywhere, and GCSs no longer cloak.
Ah, I did not know GCSs no longer cloak.
But I do remember seeing two GCSs on separate caverns in my current fort...but I do not now.
Hmmm, underground life seems to be fleeing from me? At the very beginning of this fort I accidentely breached 2nd cavern due to a mining mistake.
Some beastie attacked me. Quick quadripedal with a head full of shark-like teeths. Injured my mason, chased some other dwarfes around and on the surface.
Then it decided to stay on the surface.
And it soon disappered from the map.

Seem like un-forgotten beasts are quite eager to leave underworld.
I'm guessing once outside, they wander around until everyone in the underworld has forgotten about them and then they return saying "Surprise! Now I have just became Forgotten!"
oh what have I done.
 :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: May 21, 2010, 03:13:16 pm »

Had some strange error where I couldn't load my previous save. So I started a new fort on a volcano. Lost my three miners within the first season due to careless channeling. Third fort in a row I've lost within the first year. I'm on a streak of bad dwarf luck.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: May 21, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »

3 tile thick, 5 story tall curtain wall cover roughly eleven shift+arrow grids.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: May 21, 2010, 03:20:44 pm »

My dwarves are starving because THEY AREN'T FARMING. Out of my fortress of 84 dwarves I have ONE farming.

AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: May 21, 2010, 04:34:33 pm »

Starting anew since my last fort had 3 separate mayors on the edge of tantruming for not making mandates of slade, undisclosed, and undisclosed.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 3842