Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2000 2001 [2002] 2003 2004 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096381 times)

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30015 on: July 07, 2013, 05:18:14 pm »

I survived another (third?  fourth?  I've lost count by this point) goblin siege, although this one included an “amphibious” assault as a squad of goblins riding cave crocodiles crossed the river to the North of my fort, while two battalions of trolls (comprised of troll cooks, pump operators, carpenters, animal trainers, and a soap maker for some reason) approached from the South and East, and a group of goblin lashers attacked from the West.  A caravan of dwarven merchants was visiting my trade depot at the time, and they were slaughtered by the two dozen goblins and fifteen or so trolls once I raised my drawbridge and wished them good luck.

I lost seven soldiers in the ensuing battle - most of them were marksdwarves who had a fundamental misunderstanding of their place in the universe, as their first instinct upon seeing the enemy was to charge into melee combat, swinging their crossbows like drunken lacrosse players.  Also among the dead was a partially deaf swordsdwarf.  It is hitherto unknown whether or not the lack of a left ear (lost in a previous siege) contributed to his unfortunate demise.

During the siege, a Forgotten Beast appeared in the caverns below my fortress - a colossal, insect-like creature composed of petrified sewage (!), and he was out for blood.  I raised the underground drawbridge to seal off my fort from the caverns to focus on the surface invaders, but little did I know that a lone speardwarf was deep within the caverns and was unable to make it back inside in time, and he was now trapped with the deadly monster.

During the ten-day long siege, the speardwarf got himself stuck in the pit underneath the underground drawbridge and unintentionally hid from the beast.  When the goblin invaders were defeated, I tried to lower the bridge to send in reinforcements, but the rest of the 200+ dwarves were too busy scavenging the battlefield to pull the corresponding lever.  It was at this point that the speardwarf found his way out of the pit, and upon seeing the monstrosity, immediately charged into battle.  It should be noted that he was a member of my ill-equipped and poorly-trained secondary melee squad, armed with an ordinary iron spear, an iron breastplate, and nigh-useless wooden gauntlets that I bought from an elf caravan.  I promptly ordered another coffin from my stonemason.

To my surprise, however, the guy was a total badass.  Because not only did he face the beast alone (essentially communicating the dwarven equivalent of “Come at me, bro!”), but he killed the thing in an epic one-on-one battle that lasted no less than two straight days, dodging and parrying its attacks and chipping away at it until it was nothing more than an amorphous blob of perforated sludge, producing over ten full pages of combat logs that include reports of him fracturing its left wing by BITING it.  He walked away with only a small bruise on his leg.

The most impressive part of the story, however, is that he did all of that while wearing a dress.  It was like the Moria fight in The Lord of the Rings, except instead of a Balrog fighting a wizard, it was a sewage monster fighting an intoxicated dwarven transvestite.

Best.  Game.  Ever.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30016 on: July 07, 2013, 05:21:41 pm »

Well, I just got to finally see what my military can do on it's own. A minotaur showed up, Nokast Yellswar the Bristles of Targeting. I used the alerts to call all the civilians to the dining hall, and ordered the military to go destroy the beast. Sadly, several dwarves were outside when the beast appeared. All got inside before the minotaur reached the entrance, save for a bone carver named Tirist. She was just at the entrance when Nokast got there, and she ran away from the fort with the minotaur in hot pursuit. Sadly Nokast was faster than Tirist and reached her before the military caught up. She died quickly.

Then Nokast turned to fight my militia. First the militia commander, Likot, reached him. Nokast got one hit in, which struck Likot's infant son, breaking a bone. After that Nokast got no more hits, instead he tried to flee because Likot was destroying him. With each swing of her sword she was severing nerves and severing arteries, one time even shattering a bone and knocking out a tooth. By the time the rest of the military showed up, and they were only a few steps behind Likot, Nokast was gushing blood from most of his body. This managed to put some faith in my militia in me.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30017 on: July 07, 2013, 06:39:10 pm »

Second year spring wave of migrants just arrived at Relicblaze.  Twenty-four adults and a pile of pets and livestock.  Just from the speed that some of them moved into the fortress from the embark edge I knew I got some experienced military from Swordgleams.  Legendary sword, axe*, and mace dwarves, plus a master marksdwarf already cross-trained in hammer and sword as well.  Instant militia core.  Just need to get them weapons and armor! 

Kobolds have been detected already.  And a trap last season killed a goblin scout (snatcher).  We expect more to arrive any time now.

* - His nickname is "The Portentous Indignation of Competing"
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30018 on: July 07, 2013, 07:52:45 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 76, Autumn of 324 (Year 73)

Urdim Channeltree, Captain of the Guard, has continued to sift through clues relating to the murder of his son and former Hammerer, Urdim II, during the Riots of 323, where 61 dwarves lost their lives.  In the course of his investigations, he solved three other murders from the same time period.  With the fortress only just recovering, Mayor Mosus II worried that three executions might plunge the fortress back into chaos.  However, Urdim was adamant that the criminals be brought to justice, including the fortress's manager and broker, Thikut Neutraloiled.  Given the extreme, extenuating circumstances, and how so many deaths were in retaliation for other slayings, a full pardon was considered.  After much wrangling between the Captain of the Guard and the Mayor, a compromise was struck.  Each of the accused was given a commuted sentence, substituting the death penalty with 195+ days in prison.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:54:30 pm by VerdantSF »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30019 on: July 07, 2013, 07:53:51 pm »

In Limulstukon, aka: Square Towers, we've built a ditch.  Yup, a mighty ditch.    The ditch doesn't have a bridge so the enemy can just walk right in, but at least it's a controlled direction.

Our carpenters are hard at work drowning in the earth breaching the aquifer, in spite of a bad dig order from the overseer.  They're facing tidal waves of water down there so I'm maneuvering the stairs/pumps to try to alleviate some of the water weight.  We have nothing with which to build kilns/furnaces that isn't burnable, so we're making do with deforesting the world at the moment.

Farms are up and running, albeit slowly.  Trying to balance meals and drinks while we get ourselves together.  The Hunter's got us a stockpile of meat now, but we're out of barrels again.  Got a fisherman in the very tiny migrant wave for summer (along with a currently useless potter, he'll be useful soonish) so we're stocking up on foodstuffs.  My cook is also the brewer who is also the farmer.  That wasn't really thinking ahead but I'll swap him out to pure farming eventually.

The dwarves aren't excited about the dirt walls they currently sleep in, but they are being as understanding as possible.  Once we breach the aquifer we'll have some stone to work with.

A hastily drafted bone carver is currently desperately trying to fit bones together in interesting shapes in hopes that the inbound caravan will be interested in the results.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #30020 on: July 07, 2013, 08:03:26 pm »

What are his stats like? Slow to tire? Mighty?

very rarely sick and flimsy. not warrior material, but i'm including him mostly for status. he did get tired by the end of the fight though.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30021 on: July 07, 2013, 08:15:00 pm »

The ghost of Bembul Earthennourishes, the dwarf who started Relicshield's tantrum spiral, just appeared.  The apparition attacked Meng the dragon trainer, tearing off his left leg :(!  A slab is being engraved to put this foul spectre to rest!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30022 on: July 07, 2013, 08:30:16 pm »

It's not even winter yet and the Square Towers has lost the first of the original seven.  Sigun Uzarushat, our dedicated miner and having a trusting nature, trusted his overseer to save him from being left in a ditch during the aquifer dig.

Instead, the overseer shut off the pumps and told him to swim the hell out.  He didn't, instead deciding to get stuck against a wall with no egress in the dig zone.

As a warning to others of the callousness of the overseer, Sigun's wooden casket is being placed one level above the aquifer breach, in the shoddiest coffin our carpenter can make.  May his corpse never know the warmth of stone again.  It is flanked by two empty coffins waiting for similar deaths.  Hopefully the fear of wood will keep them in line.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30023 on: July 07, 2013, 09:13:20 pm »

Punishing a dwarf with a wooden casket, on the wrong side of an aquifer. That's harsh.

Building my first mist generator in Quakeswallowed, in hopes that when a test vampire comes then I can keep him happy during testing. Gonna try to generate power without the aquifer for now. Food and booze is overflowing in both Migrant/Noble forts, so I may try to relocate things into the next cavern layer.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30024 on: July 07, 2013, 09:20:02 pm »

Building my first mist generator in Quakeswallowed, in hopes that when a test vampire comes then I can keep him happy during testing.

I need to get around to making a mist generator.  I'm a little worried about FPS drain, though.  How much of a hit does it cause for you?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30025 on: July 07, 2013, 09:33:33 pm »

Building my first mist generator in Quakeswallowed, in hopes that when a test vampire comes then I can keep him happy during testing.

I need to get around to making a mist generator.  I'm a little worried about FPS drain, though.  How much of a hit does it cause for you?

Depends on how you build it.  I use a waterfall mist generator, usually, in the entrance to the legendary dining room.  Takes a bit of doing but it's not hard once you're used to it, particularly if you have a river available.  Doesn't typically cost me much FPS because the water level in most of it stays static.

Basically, I drill a 3 wide corridor to wherever I'm going to make most of my dwarves walk.  Typically the food stores are on the other side so even if they have their own dining room they have to go there.  Then I build above it and create a one-wide channel for the water, which spreads to a 3 wide and then channel down into the corridor.  Grate that, run an u/d stairway towards the surface to the river, then continue drilling till you're one away from the river breach.  Stick a fortification and then a floodgate in front of the river, link to lever somewhere.  Floodgate again down near the entryway...

... you know, I should just take pics...  I will next time I get to build one.

Anyway, under the waterfall through the grates, drill a 3x3 hole, leaving the center tile, which you'll eventually grate the outside of.  Downstairs drill a channel to map edge and smooth/fortify the exit so you have drainage.  Grate up the drop (you can remove a grate for access if you need to get down there again, just don't remove the ramps) and then channel out the gap tile from the river to the fortification.  Flip some levers and you should have yourself enforced showers and a mist generator all in one.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30026 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »

Don't know how it will impact my FPS yet. All I know is that the fort is still playable. I do carve things in hexes, which are kinda circular, but things seem okay for now. I did build this computer ~5 years ago (and linux), so I guess that's helping the speed.

I'm trying the "touch edge of map = waterflow" approach right now. Dig out a big chamber in stone, then smooth the wall on edge-of-map, then fortifications on edge-of-map and see if that brings flow into the chamber. Then I will close the saltpeter bridge and check if the waterflow remains in the chamber.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30027 on: July 07, 2013, 10:00:57 pm »

Wounddrinks is currently in the spring of it's third year. Through a combination of a migrant wave and and births the population has reached 114 dwarves, and 21 are children. I've drafted some of the dwarves from the last migrant wave to buff up the military, and now the fort has 12 dwarves defending it. I've started carving out rooms for the dwarves so everyone isn't stuck with the dormitory and hospital when they want to sleep. The production of beds for the rooms is depleting my wood stocks, which is bad as the fort's wood supply has always had trouble meeting demand. Trees on the surface are somewhat scarce, so the supply is limited. Luckily, I just found a cavern, and I already see plenty of wood, along with webs everywhere for silk. This will actually be my first time experiencing the cavern content. The last time I've done a proper fort was way back in the days of 28.141.40d. I'm a bit excited.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30028 on: July 07, 2013, 10:11:27 pm »

Relicblazed suffered its first fatality.  A recent immigrant ranger decided to go hunting right after checking in.  He stalked an owl and then an eagle around most of the embark.  He bagged the eagle - and then immediately afterwards was jumped by five crossbow goblins and shot full of silver bolts (about a dozen recovered with the body.)

While the goblins circled the outer ditch to approach the gate they were taken under fire by the fort's lone master marksdwarf.  One goblin killed, two wounded, and the other two fled.

The three legendary melee dwarves put on the available bronze and copper armor and sallied forth to finish off the attackers.  As they started back to the fort another goblin party sprang from ambush - and were promptly and totally slaughtered.  A goblin thief was also spotted skulking about and was chased down and slain as well.

The summer attracted another nine migrants.  This puts the currently population at sixty-six adults, one child, and two babies.  The latest group also included another legendary axe dwarf and another master marksdwarf.

The water issue continues.  The magma-melting of the stream works.  The issue is that pumping exposes the water on the surface where it promptly freezes at the pump exit.  A simpler approach using a floodgate on the stream edge seems to be workable, but it also unfortunately exited to a surface-exposed location and froze solid there.   >:(  Time to rip some things out and build an total underground attachment while the magma reservoir is recharged.

(I am curious whether a "squirt gun" mine cart attack would result in a "freezing trap" effect after the water projectile lands.  Might have to experiment with it once things are better established.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30029 on: July 07, 2013, 10:32:30 pm »

The square towers is not having much luck with aquifers.  After forcing a die order to un-do some oversights on the part of the overseer, I restarted prior to the forced swimming death of Sigun.  He lives again.  I was able to clear up the bottom layer no problem by midwinter.  I'm not, apparently, in a freezing biome, either. That would have simplified things.

Having punched through the aquifer finally... I find I must have built right on the edge of some biomes.  I hit a gypsum layer... and I'm flooding the stairway again.  Having figured the 'damp stone' warnings were just because the upper acquifer hadn't dried out via evaporation yet, I merrily just dug my way down... argh.

However, all is not lost.  I have ONE layer of successfully non-aquifer area I can work with.  I'm going to carefully dig sideways into the brimstone and see where that gets me.  If I can find rock, I'll go deeper.  It does ruin the 'center stair exposed to sunlight' plan I had, but deep dwarves are just going to happen, I guess.

It's either that or I run some power down here for the pumps and run side by side pumpers to keep cancellations down to a minimum.  We'll see what happens.

The Square Towers has begun a pottery operation now.  It's just getting started but with some blocks from the trade caravan that were fireproof helped with that.  We're going to need our wood for that so we'll be mass producing food/drink pots at first while my boys get themselves up to speed.
Pages: 1 ... 2000 2001 [2002] 2003 2004 ... 3842