Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120512 times)

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #300 on: November 23, 2009, 01:56:58 pm »

One of my mason's finally hit a mood and went legendary, so I've been making gold / platinum ore statues and setting gemstones in them, spruce the place up a bit. however, during the course of this I came to realize that both this mason and my gem setter are going about their business completely naked and completely covered in vomit. I don't know why this should be and I've got a feeling I'm better off just ignoring it and letting them get on with it.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 23, 2009, 02:51:23 pm »

After the goblin siege broke through my newb defenses, they absolutely destroyed my army. Luckily, my fortress had plenty of obsidian, and I'd been churning out obsidian short swords for the better part of the last year, so militarizing the civilians was a quick process. After a furious battle in which fully 1/7 of my dorfs were slain, including the mayor, I began following the travels of the baby Spartacus. This is his story.

Spartacus was the son of some random planter, hereafter known as Urist McDeadbeat, and a legendary bonecarving mother whos valuable artifact was surely the cause of the siege.. While an infant, his mother took part in the aforementioned battle and was slain by a gut wound. Spartacus was left to fend for himself, covered in his mothers bile, abandoned by his father who went on the become the next Mayor. Astoundingly, he avoided falling in the well numerous times as he scrabbled for the seeds left behind in the meeting hall, and drank from the buckets of dorfs who were wounded in the fight. He survived till childhood, which he spent under the light of the Daystar. Despite repeated goblin ambushes, he grew to adulthood, when he finally tantrumed. The only victim of his rage? Urist McDeadbeat. Spartacus is in jail for patricide right now, and the repercussions of his actions threaten to plunge the entire fortress into chaos.

Or the short version, Fun happened.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 23, 2009, 06:39:13 pm »

Busy digging the arena complex. Yes, you read that right: an arena complex It'll consist of four main circular arenae (a diameter of 33) which all be interlinked with each other through a 3-wide corridor. Everything (arena and corridor) has no roof so my Dwarves can watch the nasties get killed. The only thing I regret is that I'll have to go for clear glass blocks instead of windows in order for my Dwarves to remain seated during the spectacle. Obviously the arenas will be trapped with pseudo-randomly placed pressure plates, a KRaNG (maybe multiple, which may be linked to each other), all of those linked to spike traps, floor hatches (leading to burning, drowning, a free-fall or an 'escape' maze), floodgates (or bridges), (a) flooding mechanism(s) (with both magma and water) and whatever else comes to mind.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #303 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:48 pm »

Playing my first fort with Dig Deeper mod, just got my first immigrant wave leaving the population at 17 dwarves. Forgot to bring some dogs on embark so that really sucks!

I have no idea what to expect from this mod, but I've built a winding entrance passage and a drawbridge I am planning on filling with water from the brook on the map for defence purposes.

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 24, 2009, 01:30:57 am »

I present to you:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What would you do if seven small, beared men marched into your home and started to dig out a city in your basement?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 24, 2009, 06:48:12 am »

It's just ONE damn thing after another...

In my new Fort (35 Dwarves), my Weaver went into a Strange Mood and demanded Shells. Unfortunately, I had made a silly noob mistake... I had forgotten to turn off Cooking for Turtles, and my Cook had baked the all into Turtle Pies... which means that the Shells were destroyed (you have to eat them raw in order to recover the Shells).

Fortunately, the Dwarven Caravan showed up before the Weaver went postal. Unfortunately, an ambush showed up at the same time, even before the Caravan reached the Fort. I ordered all the Civilians inside... delaying the trading for the new Turtles... and mobilized my tiny Military (four Marksdwarves and my Lumberjack).

I had JUST finished dealing with the ambush and ordered the Civilians top-side again (WHERE are those damn Turtles???) when a Giant Cave Swallow flew up out of the Chasm and started attacking!

I re-mobilize the Military, and intercept the Giant Cave Swallow as it chases one of my noob Civilians back towards the Fort. One of my Recruits becomes enraged, and decides to wrestle it instead of shooting it with his Crossbow. He pulled a lot of feathers out of its wings and tail, and inflicted severe spinal damage to it. The Giant Cave Swallow flew back to its lair, and I resumed trading.

I've now forbidden all my other food, so the next person to get hungry should eat a raw Turtle, giving me a Shell.

Will it be in time to prevent the Weaver from going postal? Stay tuned...

EDIT: YES!... someone ate a turtle, and the Weaver survived. Turns out that it was a damn possession, not a Fey Mood. I think I'll kill him myself  >:(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:59:17 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2009, 07:26:52 am »

So I'm currently clearing out a 52x40 space for my tower cap farm. I'm going to flood it with a little over 1/7 water and wait however long it takes for it to dry up. It's partly an experiment, as it's my first large-scale water management project. After that I plan to deal with the zombie giant eagle circling my fortress. Yes, it's a giant eagle. Yes, it's also a zombie. I don't think my lone marksdwarf is yet ready to take it on.

EDIT: Immediately after I post (technically it paused while I was actually posting), I see the message "A snatcher! Protect the children!" Turns out the snatcher was revealed as soon as it stepped onto the map by a zombie mountain goat in an adjacent square. It fled straight away. Shortest failed snatching ever?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:32:47 am by Innominate »

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 24, 2009, 03:10:43 pm »

Innominate:

52x40?  I'm still working on my 90x190 space.  I'm mining out solid granite in sections at a time and then flooding each one independently so I can get some production going before the project is finished.  At the south end of the TC farm is a channel that leads directly into a chasm (HFS pits).

After each section of granite is mined out by my legendary miners, I pile up all the stone and atom-smash it.  So far, I'm about halfway done.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the dragon I posted earlier on this page (the one that made his home in Hairyshaft) strolled onto my map nearly as soon as I posted about him.  Now he's tame and chained to my front gates.

TAMING QUESTION: Is he tame?  I know he's killed dwarves before, but none of them were mine.  He ran right into a cage without combat.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:27:00 pm by balath »
What would you do if seven small, beared men marched into your home and started to dig out a city in your basement?

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 24, 2009, 08:34:37 pm »

I just started building a giant circular aboveground fort. On my first immigrant wave, 21 arrived. Now I have to deal with the fact that my fort's population just quadrupled.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 24, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »

TAMING QUESTION: Is he tame?  I know he's killed dwarves before, but none of them were mine.  He ran right into a cage without combat.

Release it in a secured area with caged exit for recapture along with a cat. If it kills the cat, you got yourself a falsely-tamed dragosaurus tex-mex.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 24, 2009, 09:08:28 pm »

So in my third year (barely), with a paltry 72755 created wealth and a measly 35 dwarves, I got two goblin ambushes and a squad of 4 kobold thieves. I'm thinking this has something to do with the huge number of tiles I dug out. They instantly slaughtered my wrestler (who had only <no tag> skill, as he hadn't done any sparring since showing up on the map) while my proficient marksdwarf killed the axegoblin squad. Now I have a whipgoblin squad to deal with, so I'm going to have to draft my miners.

At least I finished the digging for my first tower-cap farm. Now, to link 32 bridges and countless floodgates to levers.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #311 on: November 24, 2009, 09:14:57 pm »

The King (actually Queen) just arrived at my current fortress.  I've been keeping close track of my Dwarves in this fortress, housing them in sleeping quarters by "clan".  The clans are founded by married couples.  I limited my immigrants to a total of 50.  After 20 years I have 189 Dwarves, 102 of whom are children or babies.  I have 15 clans, the most populous of which is the clan of the recently elected Mayor.  The Mayor has given birth to 16 children in 20 years.  It has occurred to me that she is fully capable of having another 80 or so children before she goes to her already-constructed grave, causing me to doubt the wisdom of having started with 50 adults.  Furthermore, the Queen is a widow, and she did not bring any of her children with her so there won't be any intermarrying with royalty to add flavor to the fortress's history.  I'm thinking that I should start a new fortress with only 20 adults, or maybe even fewer.  It's a shame that this one is going to become so overcrowded because the location is superb.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »

The fortress of Ringdreams was founded atop a mountain of mineral wealth, where veins of coal and lodes of magnetite lay exposed on the surface, but fully exploiting the riches was more challenging than expected.  It was not the goblins, or the flocks of skeletal giant eagles that arrived yearly, that posed the greatest challenge.  It was the unending amount of water which saturated the layers of conglomerate and puddingstone mountain.  Only those minerals lying exposed at the very surface could be reached before the tunnels were blocked by floodwaters.

Attempts were made to pierce the water-soaked stone by cave-ins and pumping, but every layer of aquifer pierced revealed another aquifer layer beneath.  Finally a clever arrangement of stairs, pumps, and smooth-sealed walls was found though which a dry shaft could be safely cut.  After three full layers of aquifer the dwarves struck dry olivine.  Not far below that tetrahedrite and gold were struck, and the surveyors think the chances of striking that most valuable material Adamantine are good.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 25, 2009, 03:50:58 am »

Goblins killed my tame Dragon gate-guard, so when a dwarf went into a mood demanding bones, I gave him access to the Dragon's bones as well as those of Two Titans.  He also wanted stone so I let him have some raw adamantine.  Now, what's he make?  Surely, a great piece of artwork that somehow relates to the epic (and tragic) battles of this fortress, maybe something I can build into the main gate.

It's a hatch cover with some Titan bone geometric patterns, and Dragon bone spikes.  Oh, wait, on it there's an image in raw adamantine of one of my other three artifact hatch covers.

I wish I could order dwarves jailed.

Edit: Wrote "floodgate" instead of "hatch cover" the first time.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:47:04 am by balath »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 25, 2009, 09:50:48 pm »

Decided to try out the Relentless Assault mod. So far, it's a hellova lot easier than Dig Deeper, though I had to mod in Dig Deeper's farming. The game just isn't as much fun without the wide variety of above ground plants, I missed my dwarves getting wasted on bourbon and vodka.

Unfortunately, I forgot how... temperamental Dig Deeper's farming can be, so I ran out of booze and just barely kept food on the table with some Quarry Bushes. So my dwarves are drinking river water now *shudder*. Just got some booze from the gnomes, but it won't last long, I need to get a good harvest of plump helmets or pig tails.

The site I'm on is FRIGGIN AWESOME though. Magnetite, hematite, limonite, sphalerite, tetrahedrite, native copper, native platinum, bituminous coal, lignite, chalk, bauxite, and kaolinite. I don't know if there's any gold, presumably there's some somewhere in the gabbro, never seen gabbro without at least a little gold. This is probably the richest site I've ever embarked on, and that's saying something.

Edit: Found the gold. And some Galena. I officially now have every native metal except nickel, which is useless anyways.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:47:47 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 3842