Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1990 1991 [1992] 1993 1994 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095360 times)

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29865 on: June 30, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »

Give them the same stats as glass? Obsidian is volcanic glass after all and so far glass swords make a handy stopgap until you have something better.

I meant along the lines of how do I have to change the [MAX_EDGE] to make them equal/better than steel. This is the wrong place for this though... I'll go put this in DF Moding

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29866 on: June 30, 2013, 04:19:38 pm »

Quick question. Should I use obsidian swords or Iron ones? Is there anyway to improve Obsidian swords sharpness?

Unmodded, silver swords are probably superior to obsidian. In my experience, obsidian 'swords' are actually rolling pins and fare about as well as training swords.

I'm pretty sure that's just an oversight. they have the basic stone template for the most part making them crap for weapons. Glass on the other hand, as seen by various traps and the masterwork mod, is pretty good for dealing with the oft poorly armored enemies dwarfdom faces.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29867 on: June 30, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »

Just embarked right next to a kobold lair (d'aww!) for the first time ever. "Appropriated" stuff scattered everywhere. The real problem is going to be the other neighbours, though, because apparently there was another lair in this 4x4 embark. Well, I say "lair", but really it's six separate tiny little caves sunk one z-level into the ground all around my wagon, and all of them are full of stuff... and wereapes.

Right. Challenge accepted.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29868 on: June 30, 2013, 05:03:37 pm »

More marksgoblins who, after taking a potshot at a pet chicken, ran away. not uh.... not really sure what to make of that.

EDIT: And another group. This time they managed to kill a badgerdog pup, but still bolted for no reason. Not sure what to make of this again.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29869 on: June 30, 2013, 05:40:49 pm »

More marksgoblins who, after taking a potshot at a pet chicken, ran away. not uh.... not really sure what to make of that.

EDIT: And another group. This time they managed to kill a badgerdog pup, but still bolted for no reason. Not sure what to make of this again.

Clearly their strategy is to slowly starve you by killing off your food sources one by one. Devious little bastards.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29870 on: June 30, 2013, 05:55:35 pm »

They're be hard pressed to do that since we have a massive reserves of food and booze on top of multiple secure water sources.

Sucks about the pup though, they're needed for meatshield duty since Timetongs got shot by yet another group (which it promptly routed despite a disabled leg by throttling the squad leader and skewering another's face.)

EDIT: Sadly it seems one of the dwarves died of infection from injuries sustained in battle. Guess we need a replacement. Might help if I get around to actually making some soap...

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29871 on: June 30, 2013, 10:21:21 pm »

We're only a year in and SteelHold has already achieved one of its goals of selling lead toys to the elves (heh heh). That and our High Master Weapon smith had a Strange Mood! But.... he made a silver spear which is pretty much useless. maybe I can put it in a nobles room.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29872 on: June 30, 2013, 11:02:25 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 130, Autumn of 313 (Year 62)

Shock and dismay spread throughout the fortress when three of its mightiest soldiers fell in battle: Commander Sphalerite of the Original Seven, Tirist Earthennourishes the legendary marksdwarf, and Edem II, once the Unluckiest Hammerdwarf and the first dragon battlemaster of Relicshield.

The Forgotten Beast Engror Uktangstosbub has come!  An enormous pterosaur composed of green glass.  It has a pair of squat antennae and it has a gaunt appearance.  Beware its webs!

Far stronger than any previous Forgotten Beast fought before, Engror rampaged through the defending squad.  Somehow an iron spear was kicked up by the thundering charge, fatally cutting Tirist, while Edem II and Sphalerite were trampled (NOOOOOOOOOOO)!  Istrath the dragon rushed at the pterosaur, his fury boundless at the death of his dwarven companion!  The cavern shook with the clash of the two titanic beasts while crossbow bolts flew into the fray.  The battle was tense, with the pterosaur breathing webs and slamming its wings and feet into the dragon.  However, Istrath rallied and with a final blast of dragon breath, the glass monster was melted down.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duke Phyllite has commissioned a memorial to be built in honor of the three fallen soldiers, all true heroes of Relicshield :'(.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:41:45 am by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29873 on: June 30, 2013, 11:39:05 pm »

One of Obok's subordinates was immortalized in an artifact made by a carpenter. It depicts that unlucky dwarf who was torn asunder by a giant mole striking down one of the many nameless stranglers that want to destroy the fortress and seize its food stores.

Keeping cages on hand to refill the traps is surprisingly difficult since we don't have many, but they keep routinely capturing whole groups much to my annoyance. Going to throw all the POWs we have into a modified death pit with weapon traps at the bottom and a raptor waiting to nom their faces off.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29874 on: June 30, 2013, 11:41:28 pm »

Long time since an update from Swordgleams.

Sort of on cruise mode with the fortress.  Last project was the paving of the outer embark area to ensure the archer towers have clear fields of fire.  Took fairly constant production of earthenware blocks - but at this point most dwarves have no reason to wander beyond the walls on about half of the embark surface.  The area between the outer and inner walls is unpaved and used for growing some trees to supplement the harvesting in the walled off section of cavern.

The war rhinos have been deploying against kobolds, and have also rolled out now once against a goblin ambush in support of the sword squad.  A wounded goblin leader lying next to a trap got to look up and see rhino hide boots - with the rhino still in them.

Minotaur and forgotten beast slaying continues apace.  The slab collection in the dining hall is close to twenty, with half being minotaurs.

The fortress also has a new militia commander.  The migrant holding the post for years recently died of old age.  The assistant squad leader has assumed the position so as not to disrupt the military organization. 

The catacombs also contain about a dozen bodies now.  Early military and civilian losses, some dwarves found leading goblin units (including their general), a liaison ambushed by goblins, and now a few dwarves passing away from old age.

Goblin attacks have been intermittent.  Snatchers and ambush teams every so often, sieges by cavalry squads once or twice a year, and often a season per year with no interference whatsoever.  At this point most of the main military is legendary and the marksdwarves are at least elite.  The reservist squads on limited training are also generally at least competent.  Armor is steel with some adamantine helms being issued to melee troops as well.  Weaponry is steel as well with adamantine battle axes and long swords in use (though some prefer to still use steel).  Marksdwarves are still wearing bronze and using bone crossbows; though they have been also issued bronze short swords and trained with them*. 

The bone crossbows is mainly from having two skilled bowyers emigrate in and having lots of bones about.  At this point the fortress is exporting high quality bone crossbows back to the Mountainhome.  Could potentially churn out copper or bronze ones for replacements, but why bother?

* - Only units that get to use a danger room are the marksdwarves.  Done to give them some melee weapon training and also get their shield skill developed.   At this point some have been training beyond that to have higher hammer skill than their crossbow skill.  And they also have a decent short sword skill as well though they don't train with it as much.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29875 on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:29 am »

What.  The.  Hellllll?

so, I've got my milker penned up for doing silly things, like murdering someone with his bare hands.  So, he's got lovely furniture... which he proceeds to throw at the hauler bringing him food and breaking his leg!

WHAT?

Well, my hauler fixed THAT.  One silver maul to the dome when he wakes up.  Stupid idiots in jails.  Do not make me setup a drop system for you.

Alright, Urist McHauler... let's get that looked at.

EDIT: Oh, heh.  A little detective work figured out the problem.  Apparently Mr. Milker was to blame for some random production order being missed prior in his life... and the Hauler was the hammerer.

I REALLY have to assign him a specific weapon.  Like a feather duster.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29876 on: July 01, 2013, 03:40:49 am »

Relicshield, pop. 134, Spring of 314 (Year 63)

King Urist Shootwondered declared Relicshield the new capital of the Ancient Gravel! The announcement caught many dwarves by surprise, including Duke Phyllite, who had yet to prepare royal accomodations.  Another surprise was the discovery that Captain Dishmab the legendary macedwarf was a princess!  King Urist and Queen Thikut Shootwondered were skeptical when their daughter struck out 6 decades ago for a little known outpost far to the west.  However, their pride grew as they heard tales of Dishmab's valor and the rise of Relicshield over the years.  Now also the City of Dragons, the king and queen could imagine living nowhere else.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:56:08 am by VerdantSF »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29877 on: July 01, 2013, 03:55:44 am »

While observing another testing rig, i received some 'c'ombat reports. Those are usually just wildlife running afoul of the marksdwarfs, but i took a look anyway - the dwarven child xxx is fighting, two pages worth? Goddamnit, some idiot must have gone into an automated minecart track again. Yep, some woodcrafter had decided to retrieve a boulder or something from a bounce pit and dragged her comet tail of children right into it as well. Three dwarfs hospitalised, mum dead on the spot (of course), baby orphaned half a year from the first birthday (of course). Well, once the baby became thirsty for the first time, i kept setting meeting zones on top of it, with no other meeting zone in the entire fort. Still, nobody ever took a give water/food job, although i've _seen_ this happen with babies. Feeling very very annoyed about having a helpless baby murdered by bugginess, i took a look at the worst-battered up child in hospital, and it showed 'faint' - the healthcare morons hadn't issued a single diagnosis in months, so unseen infection had almost certainly set in, and they weren't going to issue a new diagnosis on their own. Tried tipping the kid out of bed, but that completely shot everything to hell, it just wouldn't be entered into the healthcare system again, no matter what i did.

I decided that enough was enough and just crashed the game and reloaded the old save.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #29878 on: July 01, 2013, 09:32:56 am »

Some goblins stopped by to donate some materials and train my military.  They have gone missing.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29879 on: July 01, 2013, 04:26:22 pm »

Why drunians. Why do you insist on infesting the fortress, killing pets, and being a nusiance. Why.

I sincerely am starting to really hate these damnable things.
Pages: 1 ... 1990 1991 [1992] 1993 1994 ... 3842