Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1982 1983 [1984] 1985 1986 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094386 times)

squirmy152

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29745 on: June 24, 2013, 11:13:43 am »

You know... I have yet to seem 'em in action. They're just tooted up as being awesome in their disc. Supposedly the only way to obtain them is through trade with the elves. Guess I got lucky!

Edit: I have since discovered that the Queen, Deler Athamlikot is a Geomancer that took over the Soaring Guilds in the Year 26. By my calculations that makes her rules 183 years long.... Whoa. Annnnd, largest size of the Faedogs I have is 47, which is actually the size of all of them oddly enough. Including pups...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:36:14 pm by squirmy152 »

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29746 on: June 24, 2013, 11:20:58 am »

Forgotten Beast.

First I thought, not a big deal. I have killed them before.

It was made of amethysts and it had deadly dust.

First it dueled a long time with my epic cave fis man spearmaster, who had turned friendly after slaying an FB. After the fish man had his every body part yellow he just kept fighting. The amethyst FB himself wasn't a threat, but the deadly dust was. It threw everything. Many of my soldiers died after colliding to obstacle. One civilian died because of flying cave blob corpse hit to his head.

My soldiers managed to cut its arm off and fracture several body parts. The it ran to the cavern lake. My soldier disobeyed my commands and ran after. My military commander, Thor, Grand Master hammerdwarf, was only who didn't drown. He hammered that beast. He severed its leg and arm. But no, it didn't go down.

Thor died to rubble that hit his head. Deadly dust just threw everything. There was large amounts af armour and and corpses.

Hammer Lord 'Thor' Dorenotshin Bembuldasnast Mikstat has died.

The beast crawled out from the lake and turned its attention to my fort and the civilians. I was forming a miner squad for the last reserve when the unexcepted happened.

One marksdwarf recruit hit the beast into the head.

The Bane of Fountainwash lied died in the muddy cavern flood.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29747 on: June 24, 2013, 01:15:13 pm »

So happy! In my current fortress, i just get a Great Metalsmith, he likes silver and native silver ( in prospect, shows 7k tetrahedrite and 6k native silver, so silver everyhere!)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29748 on: June 24, 2013, 02:02:40 pm »

An excerpt from personal journal of the expedition leader of the outpost Zustashrimtar (Ancient Castle):
17 Obsidian 73

All the animals and citizens have been safely moved into the fortress and the wall sealed.  It was very close to failure, however, as we could see the undead moving closer as we bricked up the last opening.  I have ordered some farm land plowed in the open area between workshops so we don't starve.  I think we are going to get tired of straw- and prickle berries pretty quickly however.  Both a good and bad aspect of this is that there are only seventeen of us.  If only the four children would stay on task we would be able to get more done.

Tomorrow I plan to order the two miners to start excavating downward.  Hopefully we don't find worse below us that what the necromancer has already brought to our door.

At least the liaison and caravan left before this horde arrived. I shudder to think what will happen when the third group of migrants gets here in three months or so.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:44:36 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29749 on: June 24, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »

A caravan and members of the Savero clan arrived this fall. Thanks to Alfonso we were able to afford a new Protectron and even some booze and seeds.

A bridge was constructed and well made functional, and among the things we found were holodiscs that allowed us to build a robotics bay and have the schematics for T45d Power Armor, which in the long term should be pretty good.

Thanks to the additional people I was able to staff my Security team with more people, one even getting their mits on a combat rifle and ammo.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29750 on: June 24, 2013, 03:08:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A decade of siege. 8 dead necromancers, 3 captured. 233 undead linked to one cage, more captured corpses are to be placed. Their numbers can be increased with the possible harvesting of the raven stockpile. Zero Justifying Dwarven casualties.
Go home Necros, this Fortress will never break.

Silentthunders's had a decade of war now! Just killed off a fresh new wave of undead elf corpses. The siege still continues. I'm still hoping on one last final great siege with all the tower's necromancers in plain view, so that it can all finally come to an end one way or another. The last attack had 51 Elf corpses, the least powerful of them yet. As they increase in frequency, so too does the scale of the attack decrease. Has my local tower exhausted its Elfpower, and are these the few stragglers moping their way to their second deaths, or the precursor to a tempest?
Where are the rest of my Necromancers? They nearly overran my Fortress with just three, and yet they have wasted 6 trying to sneak in. What's worse is that the decade of no trade has really impacted the Fort hard. Where booze stocks once sat at 11,000, now they lie at just above 5400.

On another note, do necromancer sieges also block access for other sieges, namely that of goblins? Because before the rotten Elf corpses showed up there were goblin ambushes and kobold thieves - now, only silence.
I imagine along with the caravans, my Fortress has become isolated from the world, surrounded by Elf corpses. Without their Necromancer masters to guide them, they merely infest the forests, waiting until hunger drives them to feast on merchants, siegers, thieves and Dwarves, fleeing away from the occasional rampaging Megabeast.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29751 on: June 24, 2013, 03:13:05 pm »

A forest infested with undead elves sounds like it'd make for a good backdrop ina fantasy story actually...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29752 on: June 24, 2013, 03:14:32 pm »

Great update, Loud Whispers.  It will be sooooooo nice when we get to take the fight to all these enemies.  The civ screen's export of "Vengeance" will be a reality!

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #29753 on: June 24, 2013, 04:26:27 pm »

Just embarked on a 2x2 area.
Why so small?
5 towers. That's why. I have to preserve as much of my framerate as I can, if I don't want it to slow down to 0,3 FPS during 5 simultaneous sieges.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29754 on: June 24, 2013, 04:36:38 pm »

Just embarked on a 2x2 area.
Why so small?
5 towers. That's why. I have to preserve as much of my framerate as I can, if I don't want it to slow down to 0,3 FPS during 5 simultaneous sieges.
Now that's challenging. Could you upload the worldgen params in the corresponding thread or on dfworlds? I'm interested.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #29755 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »

Well, it was randomly generated, without using the advanced parameters. Also, It's a pocket sized world because...
;_;

So I guess I will just upload whole world, not just it parameters.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Urist McSpardbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29756 on: June 24, 2013, 05:11:54 pm »

Wait...if I make a smaller embark, it won't slow to a crawl at my fort ages? Hot damn I gotta do this next Fort.

Current fort is on a 3x3 (default), in the middle of a hot, humid marsh. Next to nothing is alive in it now save for the stray raven that comes in and gets captures by the scattered cage traps. They get trained, only to die or be forced to be egg-spammers for my troops. Defence is almost a total non-issue so far, as there are several watch-towers with fortificatiions in them scattered across the map, housing their own squads of marksmen, and the main Fort itself is lined with Cage and Serrated Blade traps, as well as Bridges on the Caravan entrance in case something goes horribly wrong, or one of the traders give me a shitty deal.

We're preparing to breach the Magma Seas and then, the Abyss with all its legendary horrors. My military has heard stories of it, as evidenced by the carvings the labor-dwarves engrave, and they train night and day in fitfull anticipation of what they believe is to come.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29757 on: June 24, 2013, 05:35:35 pm »

More migrants, 49 total dwarves now. Signed in the extra ones that had weapons skills to the military, slapped on some extra orders from the manager. 22 military dorfs, none with any useful non-combat skills. And still working on getting enough steel for them, I have the materials, but my furnace operators are annoyingly lazy. Go faster, damnit! 18 of the military has only breastplates and greaves! And 9 are unarmed!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29758 on: June 24, 2013, 05:57:21 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 127, Spring of 303 (Year 52)

The duchy's 3rd generation is well underway!

The first child abducted from the fortress was also known as Mosus, but this auspicious birth has helped to remove the pall cast on that name.  In their mid-twenties, Olin and Mosus II were the youngest parents of the fortress, until the birth of Onol III to Onol II and Stakud II, at 13 years of age!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29759 on: June 24, 2013, 06:53:16 pm »

Damn, i didn't pay attention to a nasty little detail when setting up professions in my freezing-biome fort. The bonecarver eventually got moody and took the opportunity to commit slow suicide by asking for shells. It wasn't long until the arrival of the elven caravan, but i wasn't too hopeful - they hadn't brought a single stinking shell-bearing animal in four years, and to my utter lack of surprise they didn't bring one this time, either. Since she was a member of the militia, equipped with a steel mail shirt, a high-quality wooden shield and a *steel spear*, i was a bit wary of the possible consequences of her inevitable madness. I ordered most of the adult dogs to the nearby cavy pasture and had them all trained for war. Fortunately, this preparation wasn't put to the test, as she simply went stark raving mad.

I finally put a minecart to its intended use - ore transport a hundred z down to the magma smelters. The track is mostly straight ramps, but i have decelerator loops on two levels in between (to change direction and to get past the caverns) and another on the bottom level. The dwarfs guide the cart back up as soon as it dumps its load, and the route is safe to ride in spite of the insane speeds reached.
Pages: 1 ... 1982 1983 [1984] 1985 1986 ... 3842