Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108825 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2970 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:36 am »

I'm seriously sad that Surgery is still bugged. My hospital is working around the clock now, and while working on my bath house Urist McSkydiver got flushed several z stories down without the benefit of water to break his fall. every bone in both arms are smashed apart, two compound fractures, and the muscle in her left arm is shredded. he'll never be able to grasp like she used to. I'd LOVE to see her recover, simply because all these wounds only give her a Yellow +, rather than a red one, so it'd make her suitably badass. but alas, I have a feeling I'll lose her to bleeding and/or infection...
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:58 am »

Right now? I took screenshots, but I'm too tired to figure out how to post them, so here we go:

Quote from: Mistêmavéd Combat Report
The Giant Desert Scorpion strikes The militia commander in the right hand with her (pig tail fiber trousers), jamming the bone through the right wrist's muscle and shattering the right wrist's bone!
An artery in the right wrist has been opened by the strike!
The (pig tail fiber trousers) has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Giant Desert Scorpion twists the embedded (pig tail fiber trousers) around in The militia commander's right hand!

The Giant Desert Scorpion strikes The militia commander in the left lower leg with her (pig tail fiber trousers), bruising the muscle through the (warthog leather leggings)!
The Giant Desert Scorpion strikes The militia commander in the upper body with her (pig tail fiber trousers), bruising the muscle and bruising the liver through the (warthog leather armor)!
The Giant Desert Scorpion collapses and falls to the ground from over-exertion.

Oh, and I'm trying to pierce my first aquifer. I've just started to build the pumps so I have yet to see if it works. My plan is to pump out a large stairwell, install a series of emergency hatches on lower levels, and put an off switch on the pumps so I can flood the entrance at will. (There's no way that's gonna backfire, no sir!)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: May 19, 2010, 04:50:59 am »

Heh, just started the third .04 fort in a row (Other two went down to crashes), all going well, decided to build a cavern fort, rocked down through the layers and set my farms out. Set up a loom, check it a minute later and I notice that, inside the building is in fact some *giant cave spider silk cloth* .... oh shit.... Currently walling up all but the nice plateau my dwarves are on to aid survival.... we live and hope, we hear the chittering of their poisonous mandibles in the night, see their glistening, chitenous hides skittering past but we will survive. We will dig deep. We are dwarves.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: May 19, 2010, 09:12:54 am »

Hi!

My 31.04 fortress is in its 4th or 5th year now and I got my first marriage - Yeah!. Supplies are looking good so if I can get some self-control, I should be able to give them more spare time. After all, there is one more set of lovers and I already have 16 dwarves, I think.

I have slaughtered off all unnecessary pets and have started selling off kittens to the caravans. At the moment, my fortress is at over 100 FPS most of the time, reaching 140 or 160 depending on its mood (^_^;;

I do have a problem that there seem to be no fish/turtles in my pools, so once I get moods, that may be a problem.

I have also started doing a little bit of plumbing (in order to figure out ways to get the shells from tame turtles) and successfully breached a pool using a cave-in, resulting merely in the loss (=submerging) of three worthless stones (could have been two had I cleaned up before pulling the lever) which are now harmlessly lying in my plumbing.

But there is still a lot of work to do before the resettling can begin.

Deathworks

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: May 19, 2010, 09:40:56 am »

You know what we need?

Aerators/atomizers for poisons. You could have a Dwarf extract some toxin from some creature or mix up some Gnomeblight and put it in the atomizer (atomizer is an old term for the device that turns liquids into fine mists) and fumigate infested areas.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:54 pm »

where do you get .04?

*Mayor facepalms*

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: May 19, 2010, 12:19:44 pm »

Hi!

Toady One didn't put the link on the main page because it is considered an unstable version (with all the changes in order to accommodate OpenGL, he simply can't be sure at the moment that everything works - even though I have not encountered any major problems).

You can find information about it in this thread.

Deathworks

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: May 19, 2010, 12:21:54 pm »

which explains why I'd not seen it, thanks!

*Mayor facepalms*

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: May 19, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »

Hi!

Lanceleoghauni: No problem. As I mentioned, despite the warnings by Toady One, this version seems pretty stable to me so far. So, if you are doing 31.xx anyway, I think you can move to 31.04 without regret.

General: The first baby girl has been born in my fortress. Hooray! And it is only Autumn 1056! Things are going according to plan, except for there being very little rain at the moment, which slows down my work on my pond.

Interesting Discovery: I mentioned those three stones in my plumbin before. They got carried along when the initial flush filled the tile next to where they broke through the pool bottom. (Next to that, there is the first floodgate which was initially closed). When I opened the floodgate, I was curious whether the stones would get stuck in the bend in the channel a few tiles later, or whether the water would carry them around the bend. So, I watched and watched - and I couldn't find them anymore!!! It seems as if the flowing water has crushed the stones into nothingness!! That is quite unexpected but also quite nice as I had no plans for removing the stones. Now, they won't be lying around in my pond.

Deathworks

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: May 19, 2010, 12:43:37 pm »

This is my first time sharing a village with humans. It comes with free food and furniture. I'm incorporating their buildings into my fortress design.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: May 19, 2010, 12:56:38 pm »

Settled on a nice granite site with plenty of resources, including enough fish to feed our dwarves forever.  However, it's also a very quiet site so I'll probably breach the caverns to get some action once the army's equipped.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: May 19, 2010, 01:02:15 pm »

I have a fortress settled on half-artificial cliffs connected by net of bridges in large cavernous lake. My dorfs get scared by cave crocodiles and dodge into water. I'm so enjoying myself.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Zathel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: May 19, 2010, 02:00:00 pm »

Anyone managed to get Mayday's tileset run correctly in 0.31.04? That's the only thing stopping me from switching. I managed to run it in legacy version, but the colors are all out of whack.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2983 on: May 19, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »

Quite interesting discovery, Deathworks. I do not understand exactly what happened, but with some testing, this might prove quite usable, yes.

SanDiego's post made me chuckle.
I imagine an epic architectural achivement and dorfs falling into oblivion. Aaahhhhh, DF.

As in my fort, first dwarfen caravan has arrived in Tomerose. It's a .04 fort with different resolution I was used to, for now much likeable. I got I good idea for a main Hall area combined with dinning halls, dormitory, open-air statue garden, some for-now-empty room, an intersection between all wit a pond in the middle wit a 1x1 floor in the middle, all with one level above mined out (except statue garden) and -10 z-levels underground. Huh.
I disabled usage of all but economic stones and using only ramps as a means of between-levels-transport in this fort. I'll see how all that turns out.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: May 19, 2010, 02:43:36 pm »

Just had my jeweller Artifact this:

A bed made out of Gems with turtle shell and gem decoration. It has no value listed. I hope I can still use it as a bed. If I can its going in the Mayor/King/Prime Noble room.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 3842