Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1916 1917 [1918] 1919 1920 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972792 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28755 on: April 14, 2013, 11:41:24 am »

Dwarf Fortress: the only game where melting kittens in magma is considered therapeutic.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28756 on: April 14, 2013, 12:03:10 pm »

new fortress due to no knowledge of drawbridges and a goblin ambush, there will be no mistakes this time, but for now, i got a very rocky place, bedroom construction and stockpiles limited by the amount of mining needed. i hope i dont get this people dying of thirst, we have a river and a warm climate, i got too much effort in generating a place with the right properties...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28757 on: April 14, 2013, 03:03:05 pm »

So I have this one hammerdwarf in my militia who reminds me quite strongly of Bruce Banner... not quite a perfect fit, but pretty darn close.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He seems to get quite traumatized whenever he is assaulted by the various undead residents of the area, but is comforted by the +gold statue+(s) lining the walls of the makeshift barracks, and has his own room / dining area, so he usually doesn't stay pissed too long. I've seen him become enraged while fighting several times, not martial trances but full on ENRAGED. Haven't really seen that before.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28758 on: April 14, 2013, 07:10:37 pm »

Zuntir (full name R. Zuntir Limestone Kortinan Titans Dolilkonos Ngubmulzuden Tholtig, "R. Zuntir Limestone Kortinan Titans Lockbrass the Solitary Keeper of Barricades") just scored the finishing kill on the steam Titan Sath the Tombs of Ash.
Then he named his battle axe the Emancipation of Nourishment.
Then he had a steam bath. Out of the Forgotten Beast's corpse.
With his kids.
His wife.
And the rest of the Fort in the Quarry at that time.
Bath time in Silentthunders.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28759 on: April 14, 2013, 07:27:48 pm »

almost al facilities needed, had 3 dorfs going insane and killed, recovering from the losses, and have what i need for a drawbridge, but i dont seem to get how to make it work, i've build and rebuild the drawbridge from a 1x3 line to a 2x3 line and it only raises one part of it.....

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28760 on: April 14, 2013, 09:01:10 pm »

Oh sweet Armok... the necromancers have laid siege (two at a time this time) to my tiny fortress again, bringing several dozen undead with them. I've elected to sit out the siege, since I have above ground farms, fresh water sources, and the usual underground survival structures. No worry about migrants, my pop cap is only 20 for now.

But whats this? I check the unit log, and see, included in the waves of undead, execrable mist zombies. I'm guessing the second siege is from the other tower nearby, and that area has this execrable mist floating around.

Really didn't expect this... might be time to break out the atom smashers.

ZeroMcUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28761 on: April 14, 2013, 09:15:59 pm »

So I decided to play with some challenging worldgen parameters that give a dunelike world with absolutely no surface water.
Oh boy.
So after beginning to get a fort going, with food not an issue at all due to numerous food stocks, farming, hunting, beekeeping, and turkey eggs, I began to run out of ale barrels. I did not realize this in time, however. When It became aqn issue of importance i began to play around with forbidding the use of barrels in the food stockpile, but this was during a trip while I was internetless, so I was unable to use the wiki to help me. I had something like 40-50 dwraves at this point, some several waves of migrants. Even brewing fast as I could, i just had a few barrels to use for drink, because I couldsbnt figure out how to empty the others to be used. So fast forward and they start dying by the droves. I went down all the way to one migrant wityh all the tantruming going on and drhydration occuring. The major goal at that point became burying everyone, with allk the miasma going on. So this one dwarf is quite a busy person. But wait, I then get a 15 migrant wave and then start the process all over again.  But before any began to die.....I get an ambush of goblins. No military, no traps. Weapons because I kinda stole from our dwarven caravan, but Nobody with skills. I recruit everyone but at this point half the people were killed. My dwarves were slaughtered save one. This guy kept running like a headless chicken..... until he decided to stop fro something and got a hammer to the face. Bam, fortress down.
Then I reclaimed but I figure I'll just let this fort Rest in peace...If the ghosts ever rest that is. (only half the oroginal group ever got buried)

TL;DR: My dwarves almost died of thirst but then got killed by goblins.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28762 on: April 14, 2013, 09:59:33 pm »

make rock pots on repeat next time. save your wood for beds, cage traps, and charcoal.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28763 on: April 15, 2013, 09:15:11 am »

Bath time in Silentthunders.
That's just downright efficient, right there.

GirlscoutBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28764 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:00 am »

Dorfus Maximus! Come back to Illyriad! Your cities are falling into decay; and we have kobolds to kill!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28765 on: April 15, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: the only game where melting kittens in magma is considered therapeutic.
To be honest, I'm afraid I'm a compulsively benevolent dorf god. I tend to flood out food storage, seal the fort against invaders.

- - -

A year has passed at Necrobodice since I last posted. Dug out some underground pastures right before the first immigrants arrived, then sent most of their grazing animals to the slaughterhouse anyway. Cracked the second layer of caverns during late summer/early fall, relocated downwards magma-seeking shafts and continued.

Didn't have enough trade goods to even buy everything I wanted from the first autumn caravan, but learned from the experience and started setting up kitchens to process all that fat and meat into something useful (this is a stack of tallow roasts, deep-fried in tallow, served with tallow-- "dwarven bacon" at its greasiest). More immigrants, more animals for the slaughterhouse, and best of all a third miner who went to work on the magma-seeking shaft.

Late fall/early winter, I got a warm stone error message from the magma-seeking shaft! Sure enough, we'd hit the magma sea before the third cavern. No signs of shiny stuff, but for now I ordered the miners to clear some space and tap the spaghetti sauce so the immigrant metalworkers and glassworkers could ply their trades, and any dorfs found goofing off were immediately reassigned to sand-gathering or tetrahedrite processing. Meanwhile, the miners were dispatched to empty some of the more convenient tetrahedrite veins.

Spring brought more immigrants, finally pushing the population of Necrobodice above twenty-- in fact, NB more than doubled, from 19 dwarves to 40! Immediately a goblin kidnapper showed up, and the bookkeeper went fey, so I had to start training a military, building traps, and looking for a new bookkeeper.

Spring also brought elves. As it turns out, elves are big fans of deep-fried tallow a la tallow dwarven bacon, and sold Necrobodice everything they wanted for two stacks of the stuff. I regret nothing (but I could sure use some ginger ale and Tums).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:13:17 pm by proxn_punkd »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28766 on: April 15, 2013, 12:52:46 pm »

Built a couple of forts in deserts, liked the challenge of limited trees and plants, but ended up abandoning due to unfortunately-located caverns, or boring wildlife (one map had nothing but camels and weasels).  So I founded a new fort in the jungle.  Using the abundant wood, I will be constructing a five-star hotel with a hunting lodge theme entirely out of wood except for the foundations.  I'm hoping that the elves will like it so much that they keep coming and never check out.  For atmosphere, I plan to capture exotic wildlife and train it for hunting and war.  (I've already acquired a saltwater crocodile, and there's currently a Giant Jaguar wandering the map.)  The foundation is dug and the first floor's walls have been built out of granite.

It turns out there are only three types of wood on the map: palm, willow, and highwood.  I was hoping for mahogany or cacao or something, but I guess it's not the right kind of biome.  Highwood is being used for construction, willow for woodcrafts and crossbows, and the abundant palmwood is being used for bins, barrels, and charcoal.  The rate at which I'm consuming logs is atrocious (if you're an elf) but there's plenty more growing outside.  I'll soon begin farming the more exotic cavern woods for furniture and accents.

I got real lucky with stones on this map -- slate, granite, and marble are abundant and will be my main architectural stones -- and am pretty happy with my metal choices: bronze, silver, and gold.  I have the idea to build an underground dungeon fortress for "morlocks" that is just as gritty and horrible as the above-ground hotel is opulent and luxurious.  Magma is over 100 levels down so I'm planning to build a manual pump stack with 100+ fulltime pump operators.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28767 on: April 15, 2013, 02:47:15 pm »

Joyous news!

I exported many thousands of urists worth of foodstuffs to the mountainhomes. Next up, the armadillo pups have been tamed! Tame armadillos for all time! Praise the dedicated trainer dorf! Armadillos are normally exotic pets, so this took quite a while to get tamed adolescents.

Still haven't got the dragonman breeding program up and running. I needed a skilled trainer, who could train our last remaining female once, and expect her to remain trained long enough to hatch her eggs. The other two have gone berserk, and I'll be tossing them in pits where they will likely contribute little. The female might still give birth to live young if berserk animals can become pregnant, but I won't know until next year. She'd probably murder any child she bears...

In military news, some dragonman ambushes were fended off via archers. One dwarf, my battlemage, was injured and taken to the hospital where he refused to rest for any reason for the longest time. I was scared he would die, and as it turns out he still may: the arrow lodged in his leg became infected thanks to the months he spent not being treated. All I can really do is hope he recovers, I suppose. He can really dish out the damage throwing elemental fury at the enemy. He isn't even in the hospital at this point... My secondary miner of the starting seven is still trapped in the hospital, though; he too has an infection that won't clear up, but he's locked in a traction bench. I tried removing him from it after the first six months in the thing, but the doctors just put him on a different one. He might never recover.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Foo Quuxman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28768 on: April 15, 2013, 03:00:36 pm »

My most recently founded fort had a snatcher the other day, I had only 2-3 barely equipped military but sent them out to kill the scum. They couldn't catch it  >:(, but a thief was found in the process and a ranger shot it followed by an unarmed macedwarf walking up and stabbing it to death with the bolt  8). That was a few days ago.

Today a FB showed up in the first cavern: "A towering titmouse with lidless eyes. It has a curling trunk and it belches and croaks. Its dark tan feathers are downy. Beware its webs!", population ~45ish, even though there was a route from the cave to my main stairwell it didn't come in so I stationed the military (5 melee, 3 marks, all barely armed) near the cave entrance and had a miner dig a tunnel to near the FB.

Bad idea.

As soon as the tunnel was open (with staggered sections blocking line of sight) the FB made a beeline for the entrance, I ordered the soldiers to kill it so they rushed into the tunnel. First marksdwarf comes into sight of the FB gets webbed and killed before I even know it (turns out they didn't have any bolts), second one dies somewhat slower but can't do anything because of the webs, repeat for the rest of the military.

Then our friend flys up and down the lower part of the stairs a few times killing random dwarfs until it reaches the bedrooms where it seems to get confused. I draft every available dwarf into my melee squad leaving ~5-6 children and 1 dwarf that wouldn't fit. Ordering them to zerg rush the FB ends up giving it a bunch of very minor wounds and killing everyone, the FB goes into one wing of the bedroom level and flutters around constantly.

Current population: 4 children (out of ~25), 1 fisherdwarf

I manage to wall up the wing the FB is in and wait for migrants which promptly come pushing pop back to ~40

then the elves come to trade, greeted by several goblin ambushes which slaughter them and send my population back to ~20 (about 1/3 children) before leaving, I then start mass slabbing and walling up operations in hopes of being able to reclaim as more and more children die due to neglect and/or tantrums.

Migrants have arrived, population now 25 (4 of which are children)

I love this game

[EDIT: for color]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:02:52 pm by Foo Quuxman »

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28769 on: April 15, 2013, 04:47:04 pm »

This one happened some time ago. So there was this migrant couple, from the first wave. A mechanic and an engraver, or at least that's what they are when the show up at my fort. So the wife happens to be the mother of one of my militia captains, Kilkrost Kercatten I think it was. Head of the speardwarf squad. She (The mother) gets a strange mood and makes an artifact. Becomes a legendary mechanic. Then, the husband, Cerol Shinuzol, the engraver, he also gets a strange mood. And he asks for silk cloth, literally the one moodable material I can't provide. He fails the mood, goes berserk and so I send the military after him. Guess which one happens to be closest at hand. You guessed right, Kilkrost Kercatten. So she kills him with a spear, gets blood all over the place, and the weirdest bit is, despite the fact that he had a huge family and many friends, no one goes below content.
Pages: 1 ... 1916 1917 [1918] 1919 1920 ... 3839