Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1915 1916 [1917] 1918 1919 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969613 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28740 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:45 pm »

While waiting for a GCS to wander onto my map, I catched about 10 Levels worth of Live-Archery-Practice so far, but no GCS in sight.... sigh... :'(

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28741 on: April 12, 2013, 07:16:15 pm »

I ussually only get one werecreature in my (so far) 5 years of my fort and almost as soon as it arrives it turns back and runs away. Very sad, I was hoping to have a huge fort full of werecreatures eating each other, is that possible? :D

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28742 on: April 12, 2013, 10:15:02 pm »

My fort was attacked by a carp recently. A dead carp. It walked right up to the main entrance. It managed to kill a dog by knocking it off a ledge. Dwarf squad put the carp to rest again no problem though.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28743 on: April 13, 2013, 02:38:58 am »

I ussually only get one werecreature in my (so far) 5 years of my fort and almost as soon as it arrives it turns back and runs away. Very sad, I was hoping to have a huge fort full of werecreatures eating each other, is that possible? :D

Don't think so. Since they all would turn at the same time, they would be friendly to each other.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #28744 on: April 13, 2013, 08:21:04 am »

While waiting for a GCS to wander onto my map, I catched about 10 Levels worth of Live-Archery-Practice so far, but no GCS in sight.... sigh... :'(
same situation here my friend...:), want to hear an anecdote of dwarven motherly love?
At my caverns bottleneck where my cage traps are placed, while loading one cage a young dwarf gave birth to her first child, a GCS entered and began web slinging, our new mother stumbled and got caged within her own trap leaving her newborn...Mr.GCS made a nice meal of him while the helpless mother looked on holding the bars of her cage. Another friend of hers tried to run but fell due to the webs and got his intestines ripped out by my giant serrated iron disc. After nearly a month involving an army being deployed and the mess getting cleaned and removed, the cage was finally brought to the surface and opened and out came the childless mother ecstatic as ever on being freed, losing her friend to a tragedy, losing her child to a tragedy, witnessing death, being attacked, giving birth to her first child, dining in a legendary dining room and sleeping in a legendary bedroom.

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28745 on: April 13, 2013, 09:01:54 am »

My legendary bowman orc had a break from military training, I forgot that he was hunter before recruited in military and had not touched his professions, now he thinks hunting is good relaxment after hard military life at barracks. He goes outside fort, suddenly he spots something, something big...sauropods, now he notices that he lost his bow somewhere (no idea), so he gets good idea to use his bare hands in hunting! forward he goes and tries hit sauropod with his fist, next thing was when we find him, or something that looks like a puddle of blood and guts, sauropod just basicly did walk over him  ::)

2nd year, first siege, I managed to drive first dwarfs about 10, away by hurling some boulders onto them.
3rd year, second siege, dwarfs are back, with 73 dwarfs/war animals (they already ripped one megabeast in pieces that happened venture on map) :D I guess they pretty pissed off to my orcs...  :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:55:57 am by Dwarf73 »

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28746 on: April 13, 2013, 12:29:32 pm »

The liaison from The Cream of Mushroom is currently getting beat up by zombies. He left the fort through an entrance near the edge, but he just had to take the long way off the map. He is, however, serving as a handy distraction while I process a huge migrant wave that was too big to fit in my migrant airlock.

I don't dare send anyone to his rescue, as we still have no water. Until I can find a supply, any wounded are as good as dead.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28747 on: April 13, 2013, 01:04:13 pm »

Don't think so. Since they all would turn at the same time, they would be friendly to each other.

Technically it will be possible, but the majority of were beast attacks end with the victim dead or failed to be cursed, so expect to lose nearly everything you toss in with a captured beast. Additionally, if they go melancholy/stark raving mad, they may not actually attack anything willingly.

If you want them to fight each other you'll have to get at least two different were beast species, because were beasts of the same species are friendly to one-another like you said
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28748 on: April 13, 2013, 01:59:39 pm »

Well, I've left Metalsnakes alone for a while now to start playing Masterwork mod forts. The forgotten beast Kor had the last laugh, I'm afraid. A minor flooding incident left some deposits of forgotten beast extract on the floor of my main hallways. Everyone trekked through it, and everyone began passing out. Most of my population falls unconscious every so often, spending valuable hauling time on the floor. All work has ground to a halt, but we're a duchy now!

Meanwhile, after a few trial and error losses, I've got a Masterwork fort running fairly smoothly. Stizashzon, Kindlehelms sits juuust on the edge of a nasty little biome that's constantly raining this acrid filth that makes everyone covered in pus. Also, clouds of blinding sand roll in from time to time. Despite these challenges (as well as a shortage of trees) the population has risen to about 115. I've got some bedrooms set up, workshops dug, and an arena to train my military.

I've been cheating a bit, but it doesn't always help. What has helped is an enormous granite wall that surrounds everything the fort might need. It's nearly all the "usable" land on the map not getting filth rained on it. I've redirected the river to become a moat around us, but it freezes in the winter. Our water reservoirs are safely refillable from inside the fort and large enough to last years. The soldiers should be up to par soon, once I find all the good ones and sic them on our various prisoners.

We've fended off half a dozen ambushes and one very small orc siege so far. All with the help of whatever caravan was around at the time, but I don't think we'll need them with our defenses set now. Trading, hunting, and fishing are the only reasons to keep the walls open, so I might just turn off these labors and make a guarded passageway out to the depot. I've never survived this long in most forts, much less bumping territory with a Terrifying biome.

I need booze and wood, though, so the caverns need to be dug into. I made an above ground passage directly into the first cavern layer, and am in the process of lining it with traps. Whatever comes up will be more easily dealt with if it's outside my and through a gauntlet of traps.

As of playing now, I set up a danger room and got my militia commander up to legendary in shield user, armor user, and fighter. He's master in axes, too. I'll have a competent military yet, as soon as I can get some marksdwarves to do something useful.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28749 on: April 13, 2013, 02:10:42 pm »

FPS being murdered by massive controlled flooding. Some pipes are not working as intended and the pressures in some aren't working as expected. Fortunately the designs were on the safe side so it should be that the flood does not go above safe levels.
Megaproject, almost complete.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28750 on: April 13, 2013, 06:16:29 pm »

almost all the industry facilities completed, have digged to lvl 9 underground, and the fortress is worth 60k wealth, no minotaur or another monster yet (imports still in 4k), im waiting to get my marksdwarves ready along with some swords and metal armor....

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28751 on: April 13, 2013, 07:06:43 pm »

Full squad of marksdwaves, two of which are elite(1 starting was elite, 1 migrant). Just defeated the first goblin ambush quite handily by raising the drawbridge. It sounds cheesy, but I spent hours already on this thing and i'm not losing it due to having no melee, so I played it safe. Huge cobra monster just appeared on the map and is about to maul my miner. Good thing he is only a lowly miner.  His sacrifice is for the good of the mountainhome  :-[...

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #28752 on: April 13, 2013, 10:54:57 pm »

>.>
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28753 on: April 14, 2013, 07:18:08 am »

noticed a giant cave spider in one of the caverns. i immediately tried to capture it using a wooden door lure and a cage trap. just my dwarf finished the cage trap, he wondered off in the direction of my fortress. it wondered into a hallway i dug out for easy access and got caught in a cage trap i put there for security reasons. (this is awesome because my legendary cook/mechanic just finished building the cage trap and is headed in the same direction as the spider)

this brings the spider count up to three.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28754 on: April 14, 2013, 10:14:42 am »

Last night I was stressed and depressed, and decided to take my frustration out on my video games by asking another forum which of my games to play and how.

They told me to play Dwarf Fortress, and to include magma, epic storytelling, and to make my dwarves' lives hellish (I've never played hellish before, this could be fun).

I decided to start on a single mountain I found in the middle of a red sand desert (I usually look for surface vegetation, so this is different for me); also there's an aquifer somewhere. I chose "Play Now" and was rewarded with a team of fishermen and woodcutters. I started putting them to work the best I could: miners, stonecrafters, underground farmers, butchering the draft animals.

Belatedly, I noticed the name of the fort is "Necrobodice". Number of dead dorfs before an in-game necrophilia joke: 0

There's tetrahedrite, but we'll need furnaces to work it and the sand.

The miners cracked the first cavern layer while looking for magma. There's a GCS somewhere about, I can see its webs. There's also a tribe of snakemen, who were displeased by the intrusion.

The search for magma will continue.

We need to go deeper.

(ETA: Also, the first wave of immigrants has yet to arrive-- we're still in the first spring.)
Pages: 1 ... 1915 1916 [1917] 1918 1919 ... 3839