Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1914 1915 [1916] 1917 1918 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969556 times)

Yurt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28725 on: April 11, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »

Hotmetals is now in its 13th year of existence and is one of my longest lasting forts. I've been using a channel down to the magma to keep the clutter in check. I recently used slabs for the first time and found that many of my missing dwarves were crushed by drawbridges, leading me to switch over to the magma channel.

Early on, Hotmetals fielded a single elite military squad, but they were ravaged several years ago by a series of Forgotten Beast attacks. Many heroes and legends arose from that time, but only the militia commander survived. He's now training a new sorry bunch.

Hotmetals became a Barony in its 4th year, but the Baron went crazy as his luxurious three-story underground palace was being constructed. It stands empty now and holds only his tomb.

Hotmetals has many older children and is awaiting a surge of new adults as many should mature simultaneously. They will be drafted immediately.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:09:24 pm by Yurt »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28726 on: April 11, 2013, 04:07:16 pm »

One of my horses singlehoofedly kicked a tiger to death. Horses are awesome.
I had a similar happening, only in my case it was a war giraffe (yeah, giraffes can be trained for war, go figure) that killed a minotaur on its own. Ungulates are hardcore, it seems.
A horse ripped the head off a weresheep with its teeth in my fort.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28727 on: April 11, 2013, 04:47:51 pm »

Trying to set up a fort in a sinister biome, and raven skeletons keep killing dwarves.

Ravens.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28728 on: April 11, 2013, 05:11:33 pm »

Finally!  I was able to breach the aquifer!  The island fortress of Boatsheavy can now Delve Deep!  Assuming everyone doesn't die of thirst.  Damn this salt water!  It gets everywhere!
Isn't that an awesome feeling the first time you do it!  (And every other time, too!)

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28729 on: April 11, 2013, 05:58:42 pm »

My squad of ten military dwarfs just suffered 40% casualties in the fight to repel three simultaneous goblin ambushes. Several war dogs also died. About one week later, my militia commander threw a tantrum, went berserk, and single-handedly killed the entire rest of the squad, the remaining war dogs, and ten of the fifty or so civilians who were emergency drafted to wrestle her to death. I now have around a dozen crippled dwarfs and no military.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28730 on: April 11, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »

Well, the dragonmen and kobolds decided to show their ugly mugs once more, in the late summer of 458. No friendly casualties, multiple enemy deaths so far. Only two master thieves made it inside as far as I know, and both of them are now dead. Regardless, my militia's battlemage started a forest fire whilst flinging various elemental forces at them. I'm not really concerned given that everyone is inside and out of harm's way. The militia is largely prepared for their assaults, short of the fire breath issue. We have an abundance of steel and silver armor and weapons, and copper shields. Decent quality, I suppose. I'm going to start work on a pump stack to bring magma up from the depths to use a smithy closer to the surface. Eventually, anyway.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28731 on: April 11, 2013, 08:14:10 pm »

i got a copy of "Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress", very good guide, unfortunatelly my fortress didnt survive to a minotaur attack e.e, i was too busy with industry and didnt make a military....

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #28732 on: April 11, 2013, 11:52:01 pm »

Finally!  I was able to breach the aquifer!  The island fortress of Boatsheavy can now Delve Deep!  Assuming everyone doesn't die of thirst.  Damn this salt water!  It gets everywhere!
Isn't that an awesome feeling the first time you do it!  (And every other time, too!)

I did a little jig.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28733 on: April 12, 2013, 12:00:04 am »

Started another fort to run with twinklelances, "Slingsea", run by "The law-rag of moistness".

It is here I may or may not pick up the mantle of science, as I have noticed that I have one miner who is put off by tradition and authority who occasionally, instead of picking the NW corner to do work from, ends up starting from the SW or SE corner.

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28734 on: April 12, 2013, 01:20:58 am »

I can hardly believe my good fortune. A short distance from my fortress' entrance is a small river...and in the river is that king of beasts, the giant sponge! I built a bridge over it, so that my archers can use it for training. When I get around to it, I'll link the bridge to a lever, so it can be used for executions and sacrifices.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28735 on: April 12, 2013, 09:21:42 am »

Noticed that the method of bringing constant fresh water into the fort is unfeasable. Redesigned it to use a convoluted series of axles to power a pump stack instead. I estimate it will take at least a year to dig the tunnels for both intake and outlet, plus another year to set up the power supply and the pump. Effectiveness of the system is not guaraneteed, and may in fact endanger the entire fort.
Get to work, you bearded freaks.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28736 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:53 pm »

Sweet merciless Armok, that's more than some artifacts!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28737 on: April 12, 2013, 04:27:13 pm »

I've always wanted to try some superiorly minced sewer brew.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28738 on: April 12, 2013, 04:32:26 pm »

Ayup. Ya never know what's gonna show up some starry night an' strangle one of your goats fer a spell. *spits dwarven tobaccy*

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28739 on: April 12, 2013, 06:00:27 pm »

Ayup. Ya never know what's gonna show up some starry night an' strangle one of your goats fer a spell. *spits dwarven tobaccy*

to be fair, that is a particularly worrisome werething, since it has armour. most of them are just fleshy with some fur, like my were-llama  that comes by to harass the foxes every once in a while.
Pages: 1 ... 1914 1915 [1916] 1917 1918 ... 3839