Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1913 1914 [1915] 1916 1917 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966042 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28710 on: April 10, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »

Finally got enough crossbows, quivers, and armor made so I could outfit everyone in a basic copper set. I have hematite, but it is in VERY limited supply, and until I get enough goblinite for Christmas copper will have to do. I think I have flux on site, so steel is possible, but not right now. More pressing matters are at hand.

A few dwarves are unhappy because of their temporary drafting to get geared up, and are trying to start fights. I see it as a good way to get a little training in for everyone else. Waiting on more sieges, either necromancer or otherwise, and have started installing cage traps at convenient choke points, helping to isolate the fort a little better. Masons are building the floors and walls above ground, and making gabbro blocks in their spare time while miners are busy harvesting more gabbro from the depths. Should probably install a minecart system, might make things easier.

Nothing else of note, yet. Gates remain raised after a goblin ambush squad tried to walk in, and will come down in time to greet the elves.

EDIT: Well, I guess we are just weeding out the weaklings here at Greaterarmor. So far only one dwarf has lost their mind, obviously unfit for any kind of duty here.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:47:38 pm by Lich180 »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28711 on: April 10, 2013, 02:55:45 pm »

twinklelances, my first fort attempting to (partially) control dwarves through burrow control is now under way. They all share a common, huge octagonal dining hall, which will be shut down and turned into an everything-goes-here stockpile-and-hauler-dormitory once I get the dwarves all sifted and settled.

I have eight sections for living. I have a metalworking section, a mason/stonecraft/mechanics section, and a woodworking section. What would be other good ideas for the rest of the five? Should miners have their own "burrow" area, sealed off by bridge so they can dig without interruptions? I don't have sand, but should I make a glassworks? I don't have clay either. The farmers are on their own floor above everyone else, so they can't have a floor. Maybe a nobles' quarters? A temple district? Give the haulers their own little slums?

laxori666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28712 on: April 10, 2013, 02:58:33 pm »

A vampire sits locked in a corner room, book-keeping.

Thanks to periodical mass-deforestation campaigns and a constant making of rock pots, I actually have more wood than stone on-hand at the moment, so I'm digging out a dozen 10x20 blocks near the surface to provide more stone. Before that it's taken several months just to produce a few coffins as people would go down 50-60 z-levels just to get a stone.

I have breached all 3 caverns with nothing really untoward happening yet.

I recently dug into a magma lake, and am wondering what to do with it. I don't really lack for fuel thanks to being in a heavily forested area.

Near the magma lake I found adamantite! So far I only managed to extract a few strands and make 3 wafers, all of which were used in the making of a one-million-urist dog bone sword. I'm wondering how best to get the adamantite up to the surface and quickly extracted.

Shortly after finding the adamantite I was besieged by no less than 81 goblins, complete with giant rats and trolls. One of my doors got stuck with a troll corpse, but I stationed my militia there and they made short work of anything which tried to come through. A few over-eager militia dorfs got out and each made a good few kills without themselves dying - impressive! Another group was caught trying to get in via my hallway of death. The rest lost hope when their Master Lasher (which managed to duck through all 2 unstuck weapon traps) got captured in a cage. He's been hauled to a death room and I'm hoping he won't kill too many of my squaddies in the ensuing battle...

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28713 on: April 10, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »

twinklelances, my first fort attempting to (partially) control dwarves through burrow control is now under way. They all share a common, huge octagonal dining hall, which will be shut down and turned into an everything-goes-here stockpile-and-hauler-dormitory once I get the dwarves all sifted and settled.

I have eight sections for living. I have a metalworking section, a mason/stonecraft/mechanics section, and a woodworking section. What would be other good ideas for the rest of the five? Should miners have their own "burrow" area, sealed off by bridge so they can dig without interruptions? I don't have sand, but should I make a glassworks? I don't have clay either. The farmers are on their own floor above everyone else, so they can't have a floor. Maybe a nobles' quarters? A temple district? Give the haulers their own little slums?
You're missing a clothier section.

Maybe a jewelcrafter section? I've sometimes liked to store my gems in a high security vault, and my jewelers do their work in a high security area nearby.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28714 on: April 10, 2013, 03:37:35 pm »

Well, lesson learned. Don't assign everyone in the fort to grab their new gear all at once, they will all, somehow, become irritated that they are naked and drafted (even though their method of gathering gear is "strip naked and grab stuff") and after losing a random guy to melancholy that no one even knew existed, but whose death impacted EVERYONE in the fort, causing everyone to flip their lid.

Fun!

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28715 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:07 pm »

The fort Metalgear

It's already active?!?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my current fort, my military is woefully unskilled, so I have the shortest path into my fort lined with weapon traps completely filled with *large, serrated glass discs*. I've killed a couple hundred goblins by ordering civilians inside and waiting. The problem is, I never make a clothing industry, so I rely on goblinite for clothing. So the last five sieges I've claimed all death items. Nothing has been accomplished the last two in-game years because there's so much hauling to do. Although I have enough clothes to outfit my last six forts combined.

On the plus side, I went straight from just getting a mayor to getting the king, so there's no annoying baron / count / duke to mandate stupid things.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #28716 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:54 pm »

I've been trying to teach my friends how to even dig in DF - there is not much of our language tutorials over internet, and they don't understand english well enough, so...

Friend 1, Dwarf Fortress: Somehow, somehow she managed to kill a miner while channeling soil for aboveground farms. And seriously injure several other. And get a zombie siege in mid autumn of first year.

Friend 2, Dwarf Fortress: You have no idea how hard it is to explain to a new player how to make stairs. Also, she didn't want my help with embark screen, so... she sold all food to buy more cats. THE HORROR

Friend 3, Adventurer: I told him what you can to with wrestling and biting in DF. I think he still has a rabbit's lower body in his mouth.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28717 on: April 10, 2013, 04:07:10 pm »

she sold all food to buy more cats. THE HORROR
That's an entirely valid, if insane, strategy. On the other hand, if she had chosen the standard, no-skills-no-raw-materials embark instead... or, God be with us, Embark Now...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28718 on: April 10, 2013, 04:14:02 pm »

Baron Muthkat continues his hunting spree.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now it's an eagle. While not particularly menacing, they're hard ones to hit what with the high flying and all that. Hoped to capture it but it was too badly damaged to rescue. At least it'll make a good roast.

I still don't know how one can fall over while flying.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28719 on: April 11, 2013, 01:54:29 am »

Baron Muthkat continues his hunting spree.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now it's an eagle. While not particularly menacing, they're hard ones to hit what with the high flying and all that. Hoped to capture it but it was too badly damaged to rescue. At least it'll make a good roast.

I still don't know how one can fall over while flying.
Do a barrel roll, of course.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #28720 on: April 11, 2013, 10:26:30 am »

Three forts, all abandoned after failing to breach the aquifer using the cave-in method.  First two I screwed up the construction in multiple ways. 

On the third, one of my miners went and drowned himself while channelling into the aquifer.  They were able to recover his body so I assigned another dwarf as miner and was able to finish it off.  However, when the plug broke loose and collapsed suddenly the whole area was flooded. 

I gave up after that.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Dammit, there's the fourth fortress abandoned.  The Aquifer was two layers deep, and when I tried to drop the second layer there wasn't enough soil an it flooded. 

I feel like I'm getting close.  Maybe just need to pick a different site.

Finally!  I was able to breach the aquifer!  The island fortress of Boatsheavy can now Delve Deep!  Assuming everyone doesn't die of thirst.  Damn this salt water!  It gets everywhere!

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28721 on: April 11, 2013, 10:53:22 am »

One of my horses singlehoofedly kicked a tiger to death. Horses are awesome.

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28722 on: April 11, 2013, 10:57:27 am »

One of my horses singlehoofedly kicked a tiger to death. Horses are awesome.
I had a similar happening, only in my case it was a war giraffe (yeah, giraffes can be trained for war, go figure) that killed a minotaur on its own. Ungulates are hardcore, it seems.
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #28723 on: April 11, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »

Well, hooves are one of the hardest organic materials in the game.

I can top that, though. I have a war giant black mamba that has a two-three turn kill max. It goes like this:
Bite
Wait for opponent's nerve tissue to necrotize
Bite again, this time in the head

It's a female, so I'm waiting on the elves to bring a male so I can breed them. Clutch size is insane.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:22:44 pm by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28724 on: April 11, 2013, 01:42:24 pm »

Fortress "Brasslancer" has come a long way since it was founded by The Sack of Sport three years ago.  Most of the dirt layers have been "civilized" with marble flooring and the entryway has been well engineered to funnel visitors safely over the rivers and across the chasm past the lovely waterfall (and directly through the ballista's line of fire) into our trade depot.  We have abundant granite and marble, as well as diorite and olivine for furniture.  The petrified wood is starting to pile up and is being reserved for some future project.  The three bronze-clad swordsmen of our militia have slaughtered a couple elf caravans and many a goblin ambush, having graduated to become Swordmasters.  I'd like to split them up and give each one two new apprentices of his own, but have run up against the only real persistent shortage we face: fuel.  Our map is mostly badlands and the trees are sparse.  An underground tree farm has only just recently begun to yield wood, but we will need a vast amount to begin transforming the abundant hematite ore into steel weapons and armor for 12 soldiers.  (In addition to 9 swordsmen, I'd also like to outfit a trainee mace squad, in hopes that one day a Macelord will emerge to wield the artifact bronze mace created by our legendary weaponsmith.)  By my calculations 420 charcoal will be needed to make full sets of steel gear for twelve men; 132 will be necessary for the bare minimum of helm, mail shirt, and weapon.  I'm thinking about braving the first cavern to claim its wood, but will have to decide how best to take on the Forgotten Beast that lurks there.
Pages: 1 ... 1913 1914 [1915] 1916 1917 ... 3838