Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1912 1913 [1914] 1915 1916 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966023 times)

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28695 on: April 09, 2013, 04:29:32 pm »

Wish I had peregrin falcons... they are rumoured to be more well behaved cats...
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28696 on: April 09, 2013, 06:24:38 pm »

I have had constant trouble with coati sneaking into the fortress. Apparently they can use the doors behind the trade depot, so whenever nobody's looking one might sneak through, up the stairway on the other side that accesses the surface, grab my artifact mace, and start running in circles like the crazy little bastards they are, because there are so many fortress members topside. I have the militia put them down.

I just had to clear my roadway of trees to permit wagons to pass. Eventually I'll want the extra space to export my ☼pig meat roasts☼ and glassware. I'm going to butcher all the pigs I brought and bred and switch to armadillo meat. They offer far less meat per individual, but shells are nice to have given the mussel population will likely go extinct soon. I'm setting up breeding pits for them now under the prison.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28697 on: April 09, 2013, 06:36:25 pm »

Managed to fight off an invading Cyclops (the fort's first successful fight against a semimegabeast without help from caravan guards). Ranger squadron managed to bludgeon her to death even after running out of ammo. In unrelated news, Ranger Squadron is now Hammer Squadron.

The Mountainhomes have also ascertained (through arcane statistics not to be known by lay dwarves) that Gateday is officially a City. Maybe I'll finally get a Baron to use these death traps on next autumn.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28698 on: April 09, 2013, 11:01:23 pm »

I embarked on (another) glacier. By the end, only one dwarf was still alive (and not insane).

After the first migrant wave, I realised I would never be able to set up a well/water source/farm for brewables soon enough, so I dug to the caverns. The 1st cavern layer usually isn't too dangerous, but this one had a downward passage to the second layer. Monsters burst forth, massacring half my population.
The second migrant wave arrived. Among them was a miner, who promptly withdrew from society and set about making an (almost) Planepacked-esque gneiss floodgate. Worth so much that my 15-dwarf, corpse-filled, miasma-smelling fort received a whopping 30 migrants. Along with a bunch of trolls, cave crocodiles, crundles, jabberers, dralthas...
Yeah. The fourth and final migrant wave (also high, ~25 dwarves) found 4 children cowering outside the fortress, with screams and the stench of death rising from within.
I attempted to reclaim it. But everyone went mad from miasma, corpses, and crundles. Berserkers were very common. I had one berserk child beat all my melancholy and babbling dwarves to death, after everyone else decided to flee the room.
In the end, I abandoned. There was nothing I could do, really.

Except gather a new party of seven, and reclaim!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28699 on: April 09, 2013, 11:08:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarf Fortress: The problem is a means to an end.

[For context, troglodyte hunts intended to keep stoneworkers safe have now turned into a Troglodyte vs Zombie Trogolodyte vs Dwarf lord battle].

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28700 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:28 pm »

hello people, new player here, fortress on a calm biome so nothing much apart from the usual animal (keas, vultures, ravens, etc..), no problems so far, but im building staircase to the deep. i have to get some workshops yet. too much things to do, but i dont have an anvil (caravans seem to leave before the even maken the agreements).

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28701 on: April 09, 2013, 11:41:21 pm »

You can trade even while making agreements your diplomat and merchants are separate entities.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28702 on: April 09, 2013, 11:42:32 pm »

Edit for doublepost...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:44:27 pm by Necrisha »
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28703 on: April 10, 2013, 01:15:33 am »

Another titan showed up; this one a feathery dimetrodon who possessed a look of unbelievable peace. Peaceful right up the arse for sure. It managed to murder a miner who had been way out in the middle of nowhere before facing the full wrath of the militia and getting steamrolled short of ripping one dorf's foot off. The dorf in question is presumed to have recovered. On top of this, a female giant mantis flew up over one of the dog sentry boxes and murdered the dog within, then puttered around the prison walls before flying off. I presume it escaped with it's life.

One of the original seven, a miner, took a short fall while mining out the hospital cistern and injured his foot. Now, he has a raging infection and is locked up in a traction bench. I'm hoping he recovers from the wound, but I'm deciding on a tomb beforehand regardless; good dorfs aren't left to rot.

I'm also digging out nobles' rooms for the nobles and starting seven. Got another legendary glassmaker from a mood, too, which brings me up to three. I like glassmakers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28704 on: April 10, 2013, 10:36:28 am »

Baron Muthkat continues his cavern hunting spree.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kills a Rutherer with one shot.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28705 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:08 am »

You can trade even while making agreements your diplomat and merchants are separate entities.
that's the problem i dont seem to get a trader, they appear with migrations but they keep away of the fortress and only come when a caravan comes. i dunno how to keep them in the fortress.

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28706 on: April 10, 2013, 11:27:13 am »

The fort Metalgear was besieged by goblins--several lashers and a bowman mounted on a giant toad. Since the military wasn't quite prepared for the fight (consisting of six only sightly skilled incompentents), the bridge was raised, keeping everyone in and the goblins out. Eventually I decided that having a little havoc would cause some fun, so I stationed the military in the front hall and had the bridge lowered.

When I checked on the goblins' progress to the fort, I saw the squad leader had made the strategic decision of hiding in one of the ponds, apparently intent on an ambush. Unlike his mount, however, the goblin couldn't stay in the water indefinitely, so he drowned.

The gates are wide open, but with their leader mysteriously vanished, the goblin lashers seem uncertain on what they should do now.

EDIT: I just noticed I never had any shields forged. That would explain a few things.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:46:40 pm by The Hadad »
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28707 on: April 10, 2013, 01:42:17 pm »

That skinless alligator monster is still around, just hanging out in his own corner of the cavern layer. hasn't caused any trouble so I've left him to his own devices.
The necromancers are back with another siege, this time they aren't doing any real harm, they can't get through the doors so they're just staring menacingly at the walls. some goblin ambushers have showed up to play with them, though, so they won't be bored I guess.
Crundle training is going slowly, but at least a couple are ready for adoption, should anyone want one as a pet.

Overall, nourishedcobalt has calmed down a fair bit.

The FPS is getting low, though- single digits right now is the norm, occasionally peaking at 10 or 11/

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28708 on: April 10, 2013, 02:04:16 pm »

that's the problem i dont seem to get a trader, they appear with migrations but they keep away of the fortress and only come when a caravan comes. i dunno how to keep them in the fortress.

you don't need one, just set a broker in the nobles screen and there you go.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28709 on: April 10, 2013, 02:14:46 pm »

you don't need one, just set a broker in the nobles screen and there you go.

Of note, if you get a "Trader" that comes with a migration wave, but won't move away - that is a bug, and it can be fixed by dfhack.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:54:24 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 1912 1913 [1914] 1915 1916 ... 3838