Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108309 times)

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2805 on: May 12, 2010, 04:07:11 pm »

After some creative troll removal via mining, I've finished walling off the cavern. And immediately after I finished, my fort became a barony. My first barony in 0.31. I've never lived this long before. So in honor of the cavern project I named my original mason, Morul Bridgelord from the starting seven as the new Baron. I'm sorry to lose a legendary mason to noble laziness syndrome, but unlike most nobles, he's earned a comfortable retirement.

Once a butcher of livestock, Shem Obeywire "The Portentous Hurricane" has become a butcher of goblins. In honor of her 5 years of military service and her 23 notable kills and 8 other kills (the next highest kill count of the 30 military is a mere 10 kills), I've given her a Royal Bedroom. To further honor her, two of my war grizzlies have recognized her prowess and adopted her as their master. Shem is unbelievably strong and slow to tire. When her fellow militia members are panting in exhaustion, Shem is still cleaving goblins in half with a single blow. Once she took out an entire goblin ambush singlehandedly. The rest of the squad finally showed up just as she was severing the lower body of the last gobbo. She has no friends, no family, not even any acquaintances. All she has are her two war grizzlies, her war dog and her axe. She does nothing but train relentlessly. She is a model dwarf warrior. If I had 10 more like her I could conquer you-know-what.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: May 12, 2010, 05:34:04 pm »

I'll try deconstructing the depot.  Thanks.  Any stragglers will be dealt with appropriately. 
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: May 12, 2010, 06:10:28 pm »

Buzzards! Buzzards everywhere! A whole flock of them is descending on my open-air trade depot. The moats! They do nothing!
I was proud of those moats, too: magma, water, and in-between is an empty-with-option-to-obsidian-farm.
EDIT: Buzzards, I have just discovered, like to steal food. They stole the sunberries I was going to farm!

Down below, the Leech Creature continues, trolls, and other assorted gibbering horrors are safely walled out of my Mushroom Tree Farm.
In other news: crundle-scales! Ah, how I wish I'd managed to trap and breed those crundles.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:46:12 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: May 12, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »

Just barely managed to kills a giant mite forgotten beast that breathed liquid nitrogen (I guess, it really said frozen extract but whatever) with a fully masterful steel equiped ax 10 dwarf squad. Only lost 2 dwarves but about 4 more or more are yellow injured all over thier body. I have a decent medical dwarf but he was one of that civilian casultys.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2809 on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »

Finally got a chance to play DF again (after only a few days of rest  :P).
With Deathworks pointing out to me that 15 fortress years is not nearly enough for a dwarf to die a natural death (I was mislead by how quckly children grow up, so somehow I conlcuded that dworfs also will not last that long) and encouraged by the talle of 200 hundred years old fort Flarechannel, I decided to make my current fort survive by any means necessary. I might dig a bit too deep later, but for now I'll just leave it alone.

In other news, I have discovered 3rd level cavern that elude me miners, enabling me to reach magma sea way before even realizing I reveald just two caverns. This came to my attention when I was trying to make some room for the grand treasury, the topmost floor, where the pillars for the hanging spire-tresors begin, is also a level of cavern that is completily flooded.

Of course I could try to relocate or even scrap my treasury project. But I just feels right making an elaborate system of cave-ins that will presumably cut the water supply to that desired part of cavern. And when this is done a few screw pumps and I shall continue with the project as if nothing happened.

I also started replacing al them up/down stairways with ramps. Few architectural errors, but nothing I could not manage. But there is still much to be done.

Oh and I decided to stop and take a sleep just after a vile force of darkness arrived, consisting of a group of swordgoblins, another of macegoblins, third made of lashers, some trolls (troll farmer or whatnot), olms, crocs and some mastergoblinsomething leaders.

Good night lads, lasses.

edit:
For some reason, Flaede, your post made me giggle.
That is all.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: May 12, 2010, 07:18:50 pm »

Let me tell you the tale of InkPassages.
For in year 28, when the dwarves of the world were fresh, and territory yet unconquered, and riches gleaming from the sides of the mountains, did 7 dwarves embark on a relatively normal riverside hill. Next to the sides of the River Siegelurked, they dug into the soft clay loam. And as the loam parted, they revealed stone, and within this unremarkable mudstone was found ore in abundance, oceans of iron, caverns of gems, underground forests to fuel a booming tourist industry! But this was not meant to be. Even as migrants packed their last xXrope reed sockXx and began their arduous trek, legions of goblins-OK, 15- assembled, marching towards the swelling mountain home. They swooped from the south, an ambush, curse them! But their defective tower supplied copper armor and inferior halberds were no match for the strong iron axes of the 3 military dwarves, legends in their own right! And in this climatic first battle of Inkpassage, did Inkpassage emerge as a power in the Continents of Perishment, much more than a humble mining outpost! Ambush after ambush, siege after siege, troll, goblin and toad alike lay at it's feet! Unkillable beasts of lore pathed pathetically against it's sealed walls! And underground, new technology was perfected on stone tablets and designated, the animal AND gate, cornerstone of some frankly quite useless and odd project 'bout adding and computing or some other. Anyways, the dwarves dug, and they channeled, pumped and powered, and the gate+associated computer parts began to take shape! But this was not meant to be, for the fort had grown to 2 years, and a massive siege showed up. Wave after wave, seventy goblins in the finest iron, wielding the finest spears and maces, riding the largest and most viscous animals this side of fear, the Giant Toad. And they slaughtered the military, and clogged the traps with numbers alone! The order was given, the bridge pulled, but many civilians were lost in the struggle, and the strength of Inkpassage was broken. They endured for 3 years, to year 33, through starvation and tantrum and rampart totalitarianism. When the end seemed near, the police force (of one axedwarf) tantruming themselves, and almost none left untouched by the madness, were the project leader, a miner, several farmers and a random craftsdwarf walled into the farming/logic center of the fortress. But it was for naught. Water. Water was needed. No wood for barrels or beds meant that a suitable drinking spot was badly needed. The miner struck the floor over the central reservoir...

A massive torrent of water engulfed the room, flooding the farming quarters until the legendary mechanic, sole sane survivor of the wreckage was locked into the lever room. And he declared on his wounded, bleeding breath, that the fortress of Inkpassage was no more, and with those words passed into death, crumbling the fortress to it's bloodsoaked end.

But it is foreseen that the dwarves will reclaim, past marshes of bugs and spies and bring glory to the crumbled walls of Inkpassage, that the anarcho-communist goblin-dwarven treaty alliance that formed after the collapse of official government will be dissolved, that insane dictatorship and poverty and favoritism will return again, that useless projects will again be constructed, that goblins will once again break upon the waist-high walls of Inkpassage, and merchants will again be ignored.

tl;dr: 170 dwarf fortress, goblin attack killed lots of civvies, tantrum spiral, a misplaced channel in proto-survival fort flooded everything because of water pressure, everyone dead. Lots of facepalming involved.

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: May 12, 2010, 07:52:47 pm »

Glad to entertain, Sinistar. Laugh was all I could do, too - the circling buzzards were flying off with the food I traded all my food for. (yes, you read that right).

Fortunately, buzzards don't eat flour. We shall survive, and I now have a 20000 dwarfbuck rope to trade for the contents of the next caravan.

Rotten: Viscous steeds? I'd love to see THAT army.
"Behold! they ride on Blobs!"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:56:43 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: May 12, 2010, 07:56:17 pm »

In Flamelance, nothing but endless labor as the 14 adults and 5 children attempt to keep themselves going. I chose a dad civilization to embark (they're all dead) so I get no caravans, thus no migrants. Even if i did get migrants, I have no nobles, so my fort can't really advance past the early stages.

Haven't seen any humans, only people out there are the elves. We're doomed.

I forgot to mention, There was a troll outbreak when i breached the caverns. No big deal, just have him put down. Wrong. Only two people were within 300 tiles of him. Since everyone gets recruited, everyone goes to kill the troll. Except the guy behind the woman nearest the troll. He wanders off to go put his pick away. She gets the living Armok beat out of her, and shes slow, flimsy, weak, and slow to heal to boot. Eventually everyone but that miner, who went for a drink after putting his pick in the stockpiles, comes and returns the Armokian beating unto the troll, who dies. This poor woman, Likost, has yellow wounds all over her body, which disappear before she's been brought to bed, several broken bones in her hands, and a brown-level throat wound.
She now spends her time in the hospital, repeatedly getting up to go do whatever before the surgeon can finish her job, meaning she always cancels it, and the girl hasn't had any medical treatment. And all her labors are turned off. How often could she possibly need to get up? How slow is this god forsaken surgeon? Does she just leave with the surgical incisions wide open? Is she going to die at some point so we can get on with our lives?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:52:54 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:06 pm »

Well, after having the potential loss of a fortress by starvation averted, I got a good ol' "an ambush! Curse them!" and sent 10 of my military dwarves and 5-6 war dogs out against them.

The dog's bite never hurt anything, unfortunately, so I had to rely on my speardwarves. A minute into it... "AN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM!"

...?

9 dwarves left. 11 gobbos total now. How unfortunate. Three minute later... "AN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM!"...

Its all a lie. This is no ambush - this is some goddamn dwarven genocide. I had to abandon after they all stormed into my fort, slaughtering babies and trampling my precious engravings of tentacle demons with corrupt intentions :(

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: May 12, 2010, 10:27:22 pm »

Speaking of tentacle demons, my last 40d fort had three masterwork engravings right in front of my trap hall. They were (from left to right) a tentacle demon, a frog demon (local group symbol), and a SoF (civ symbol). "See no Good, hear no Good, speak no Good." Alternatively: "All hope abandon ye who enter here."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:27 pm »

My militia commander just went into a tantrum after having her hand cut off during training. She killed an herbalist, a dyer, and my newly-appointed baroness. Wonderful times. Instead of fist fighting like most tantrumers, she still had her gear (in her left hand) and sliced everyone to pieces with it.

Will I get to appoint a new baron?
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: May 12, 2010, 10:59:39 pm »

I'm just starting a new ocean side fort, trying to get a desalination plant going before the beer runs out.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: May 12, 2010, 11:02:51 pm »

A war elephant just sneaked into one of my bedrooms, where a farmer was resting, and trampled him to death. It then proceeded to go to the well and clean itself off, presumably to hide the evidence. I have no idea why; the combat log shows no actions on the part of the farmer, just the elephant showing up and trampling him (well, kicking. A lot). An interesting bug, or something far more sinister? Any future elephant-related deaths will be treated with suspicion, to be sure.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »

The cry of the elephant rebels: REMEMBER BOATMURDERED!!!!!!

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: May 13, 2010, 12:32:24 am »

So I deconstructed the trade depot where my squatters were, and they left alright.  But, they left all their crap behind.  Now i am the proud owner of untold numbers of wooden weapons and armor and other useless trinkets.  And animals, and hell I don't know what else.  I do have 2000 food now from 600 though.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 3842