Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1826 1827 [1828] 1829 1830 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972671 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27405 on: January 19, 2013, 03:31:55 pm »

Something seems off here...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27406 on: January 19, 2013, 04:08:27 pm »

I just noticed that among other Dwarves, I can convict the Elf diplomat, deceased Kobolds and Goblins, captured Humans and Were-creatures of murdering one of my Dwarves.

What to do.
You get elf diplomats? Did you mod in a workaround or something, or are you just playing an older version?
DF hacked the fix around thing. I'm fine with modding and hacks and the like if it adds to the difficulty. Should I convict the diplomat of killing a were-civet Dwarf for science? I know who the real killer is, but it's tempting.

On the one hand... The elves did bring me Giant Desert Scorpions.

On the other hand... Convicting the elf diplomat of murder is just brilliant, and I honestly hope to see my Hammerer jail the diplomat on the edge of a quarry.

Is there any way to end wars? I wouldn't want to permanently lose my only source of scorpion power.

Convict 'em. They'll probably send someone else next year. If not, then eventually they'll send another diplomat to sue for peace.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27407 on: January 19, 2013, 04:49:56 pm »

Something seems off here...

Wherever possible, Urist McMilitiaCommander likes to consume fresh wolf eye and plays with his food?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27408 on: January 19, 2013, 04:51:52 pm »

Maybe he just likes really fresh wolf eye.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27409 on: January 19, 2013, 05:13:54 pm »

The elf is convicted. So far, nothing.

Well, except for a super baby being born to a couple of the Fort's first 7.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Green green everywhere, and not a drop of red is seen.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27410 on: January 19, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »

His physical description also makes him seem like a biker gang affiliate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27411 on: January 19, 2013, 06:09:34 pm »

Get that biker baby a leather jacket at once!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27412 on: January 19, 2013, 06:18:32 pm »

In my fortress, I had to designate new stairs be dug out to help relieve congestion from dwarves trying to reach the surface. 3x3 just isn't enough space for 200-odd dwarves. I'm thinking about redesigning the entire entry system. The merchant gate is too open and undefended, while the access itself isn't wide enough for two caravans to pass one another.

All I need is proper plans...

Also, the horses are breeding happily. That's a lot of horse meat.

Dwarven merchants finally went mad. The blood has begun to flow as the guards and my militia try to put down the berserkers.

[Edit]

Oh crap! Loyalty cascade!

They've all gone bonkers! They're hacking each other to pieces!

A dwarf killed his own wife!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:36:49 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27413 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:59 pm »

Eh. So it looks like justice has to be manually applied.

At least my Dwarves get to be really xenophobic.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27414 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:27 pm »

I am swiftly coming to the conclusion that blue jade is the only valuable material my dwarves know how to find.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27415 on: January 19, 2013, 07:17:33 pm »

The legendary stonecrafter of Horrorfurnace survived being fed on by the vampire. Sadly he didn't actually see the vampire. My search has been redoubled! I will find the vampire, and give him to Armok for bloody justice!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

AssassinT90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27416 on: January 19, 2013, 07:28:06 pm »

The legendary stonecrafter of Horrorfurnace survived being fed on by the vampire. Sadly he didn't actually see the vampire. My search has been redoubled! I will find the vampire, and give him to Armok for bloody justice!
Quick tip: Put all your dwarves in a single room and wall them off. The dwarf that don't die from dehydration will be your vampire. (I know, I'm a genius)
I'm starting a fortress here:

Wish me luck
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:38:32 pm by AssassinT90 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27417 on: January 19, 2013, 07:50:39 pm »

The loyalty cascade is mostly over with, now. The population dropped from roughly 200 to 89, and I expect it to go down even more, because some traitors still need to die. The tantrum spiral the event created also seems to be mild, compared to some I've had in the past. Still, there are a lot of unhappy dwarves.

A snatcher made off with a kid. Damn.Nevermind, the traitorous giant rattlesnake, Scribemountains the Conquerer of Bronze, murdered him and saved the kid, who is now being chased by a pike goblin ambush.

The commander wandered into the dog kennels and started a fight with my entire god damn dog population. And won. Apparently that was a room full of not-traitors that she must cleanse. She did so very effectively.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:05:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27418 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:45 am »

I had started a new fort today, AncientFears.  It was settled on a haunted hills biome.  While I am not completely new to the game, I have never tried anything other than the normal aligned biomes.

I begun with a farmer, a trader, a doctor, two miners, an axedwarf, and a carpenter.

Within the moment, it started snowing blood.  Luckily, it did not harm the dwarfs (only their moods).  Later, an ogre moves in and kills the pack animals as well as the doctor as the others fled.

Then we finally get settled in.  I had built a carpenter's workshop and the meeting hall to get the dwarfs out of the blood.  I had also set up the food stocks and a plump helmet field.

I discover that the snow and ice thaws in the warmer seasons, so half the fort is in 3/7 water.  Through a hole in the melted ice harpies came and killed the farmer.  I had gotten my Axedwarf into action, but he forgot his axe.  He engaged a harpy and somehow killed it by punching its teeth out.  Cool.

The miners strike both magnetite and tetrahedrite, which seems promising in the future.

It has only been the first season, an it has already been a lot of Fun.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27419 on: January 20, 2013, 12:18:46 am »

Wereraccoon outbreak in an isolated fortress under siege by goblins with almost no military built on a frozen glacier. It looks like the downward spiral of FUN has once again begun and soon the nameless arctic fortress will fall to the history books as a bad idea poorly executed
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.
Pages: 1 ... 1826 1827 [1828] 1829 1830 ... 3839