Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1817 1818 [1819] 1820 1821 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965805 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27270 on: January 10, 2013, 10:06:11 am »

The former expeditionary leader went moody and claimed a carpenter worshop. With showmood I discovered he wanted a stone block (got it), a piece of wood (got it) and an iron bar. I didn't have iron objects (except the iron anvil, but I was not going to smelt it, of course), but luckly I discovered a hematite vein only -2z levels: I was digging an exit for the excess water of the planned moat.
So I decided to smelt a few iron bars, and I set up a temporary smelting area.
As soon as I managed to get an iron bar, ForrestDorf decided that it had waited enough and got struck by melancholy.

Since it was the expeditionary leader, I assigned him two hunting dogs from the start, to protect him.
Should I drown him by burrowing him in a pond, thus freeing the two dogs (that could be assigned to the hunter, although there is not so much wildlife to hunt...)?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27271 on: January 10, 2013, 11:35:47 am »

The loss of his wife, his child and his cat has hit him hard.
Who needs family anyway? The cat is the worst. How can he live without his mind controlled? Assuming dorfs have anything that we can call a "mind".
cat farm.
I have seen many players tempting the fate but you, sir, you are punching it straight into the face.
.sigged
We were lucky the Goblins wasted so many arrows on the cat farm.

Wasted? every single one of those arrows was well spent.

It's my only source of sustainable Leather. A Crocodile ate my breeding pair of Dogs 5 seconds after embark, and the Traders keep bringing me male Dogs. Profiteering scum.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:40:00 am by Koremu »
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27272 on: January 10, 2013, 01:01:24 pm »

Well, I was just walled in for a two year necromancer siege ( which happened in the first year...) when several ambushes of kobolds stacked and cleared the map of zombies. Now there is a kobold army outside my walls.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #27273 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:07 pm »

Well, I was just walled in for a two year necromancer siege ( which happened in the first year...) when several ambushes of kobolds stacked and cleared the map of zombies. Now there is a kobold army outside my walls.
>Kobold Seige Mode Activated
I didn't know that that was actually possible. It's probably the easiest possible ambush to fight your way out of though. One wonders how they killed the zombies... clearly these are no ordinary Kobolds.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27274 on: January 10, 2013, 10:38:30 pm »

Somehow my military dwarfs won't wear helmets, even though they use every thing else I've assigned to them. They have access to the helmet, the equipment screen says they've claimed them. But they don't wear them. Any ideas whats wrong?

Probably wearing caps.  They are "shaped" and prevent the wearing of helmets over them.

Use "replace clothing" in the military screen and and turn it off after they equip, or add standard clothing to their equipment list.  (I do the latter and add trousers, cloak, mittens, tunic, and hood to the equipment list as well as a weapon and armor bits.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27275 on: January 10, 2013, 10:39:17 pm »

Remember, Kobolds have the riddle of steel, because the gods took pity on their inability to figure out metals the normal way.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27276 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:00 pm »

My current fort had several meleedwarves injured quite badly by Kobold ambushes. Broken legs and arm, so Kobold ambushes can be dangerous if all they are are bowbolds.

Note, every dwarf injured was legendary in armor use.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #27277 on: January 10, 2013, 11:08:26 pm »

My current fort had several meleedwarves injured quite badly by Kobold ambushes. Broken legs and arm, so Kobold ambushes can be dangerous if all they are are bowbolds.

Note, every dwarf injured was legendary in armor use.

IIRC, Armor User doesn't do much to prevent damage, it just reduces the encumbrance penalty for armor. For enemy archers, you really need legendary Shield Users.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27278 on: January 10, 2013, 11:35:07 pm »

But it helps with their movements, right? I mean, they were quite good at dodging bolts... But not so much the spears.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27279 on: January 11, 2013, 03:49:09 am »

But it helps with their movements, right? I mean, they were quite good at dodging bolts... But not so much the spears.

Nope.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Combat_skill

Armor User affects the ability to move quickly wearing armor, and decreases the rate at which armor users become tired or exhausted.

Shield User affects the ability to block incoming attacks, including projectiles, using a shield. This is the most effective method of deflecting ranged attacks.

Also note that a high skill level in the unit's equipped weapon will result in them occasionally striking a projectile out of the air. However this is much less effective as a protection than a shield.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27280 on: January 11, 2013, 04:13:15 am »

The Expeditionary Leader of Odorringed died of thirsty. Well, it was not my fault if she went melancholic.
Now, if only I could force my manager to set up the production queue of some coffins in order to entomb her as one of the founding fathers of the settlement...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27281 on: January 11, 2013, 02:03:08 pm »

Playing with PerfectWorldDF and my own twisted imagination, I now have a Masterwork fort on a huge volcano, surrounded by good shrubland and a brook. Plenty of steel and other things are being made. Two squads are being armed with muskets.

Already had a vampire mayor, who was quickly thrown into the volcano. His replacement was a concubine who went insane for some reason (game crashed) made a mandate that couldn't be filled(or read, since concubines don't have the same screen as normal dwarves), and was slaughtered. The third mayor is also the expedition leader, who I'm sure is feeling none too secure about her life.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27282 on: January 11, 2013, 02:48:56 pm »

My 76 year old mayor was booted out of his job and replaced by a 14 year old whippersnapper.   I had nothing to do with it, the little brat elected himself,  hes probably rearing a litter of puppies as guard dogs right now and going to change his name to napoleon...  I must warn snowball

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27283 on: January 11, 2013, 04:26:01 pm »

Well my fort was overcome by a colossal army of zombies, everything I had is now raised in zombies, except for a friendly(?) Goblin swordsman heroically cutting a swath through them, and a farmer hiding in his room.

edit: scratch that, the farmer ran into the goblins room and now the goblin is holding the door, Corpse corpses are being flung everywhere by his sword strikes. Your chivalry will never be forgotten Dostngosp Lasmsang Asmukoxang Usmdas (Dostngosp Actedtheif the Angelic Entanglement of Ash) - fight on!

He has killed at least 50 of these things but his missing a few limbs now and severely wounded... :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:34:06 pm by k33n »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27284 on: January 11, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »

He has killed at least 50 of these things but his missing a few limbs now and severely wounded... :(
Never fear, his limbs will come back to kill him heroically fight along side him! Right? no? m'kay...
------------------------
So I'm building a volcano fort in Accelerated DF. I've hit a really nice volcano, with a lovely natural flat top that's quite wide and good for building above-ground structures on. All it needs is some channeling of unnecessary extra hills and it's a great flat expanse for building.

Oilfin is going well, with workshops, magma forges, and various storage spaces and bedrooms being designed and dug out in less than a year. Farms are running, food/booze is steady, and now we wait for the first major wave of migrants for enslaving into a mass mason force for building the above ground defense. We don't have a lot of military grade metal, so I suspect I'll try trading for metal to make bronze and attempting the "multiply the number of bars by mass forging then melting giant axe blades" trick.

There's also plenty of neat beasties roaming the surface, including leopards and regular packs of dingoes for potential enslaving and mass breeding war training and weaponization.

now I just need to stick with this fort for more than two years minimum.  ::)
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 1817 1818 [1819] 1820 1821 ... 3838