Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1814 1815 [1816] 1817 1818 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972627 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27225 on: January 07, 2013, 04:59:23 pm »

Starting a new fort. This one will be dedicated on mastering the pump stack. So, go with the standard embark config.

The Wagon in its original place. It will be soon dispatechd for the log, once my two miners (the actual miner and the - for now - useless jeweler) will be done with the main entrance hall. No clay, but some soil.
And no brooks, which might be a problem because I wanted to experiment with pump stacks... but all in due time.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27226 on: January 07, 2013, 05:05:39 pm »

Sooooo, my super-decked out axedwarf destroyed a siege with help of his newbies (newbies were his friends/siblings and none survived)...

His return was like this:

"Urist McAxebadass! Thank you!"
"Urist, we love you!"
"Urist for Presid-AUGH!"
"RAAWRHGHGHG MURDER RAPE KILL!!!"

From 44 healthy dwarves to 1 berserk dwarf in just few minutes...

'Your settlement have crumbled.'
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27227 on: January 07, 2013, 05:34:04 pm »

Urist McLegendaryCrafter has been found, drained of all blood. Yay, I got my first vampire! No idea who it is, though... ::)
THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME
Mine was a Bone Carver, great in Wood and Stone Crafting as well though. Who was yours?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27228 on: January 07, 2013, 06:45:57 pm »

This was so noteworthy I just had to mention it.

Remember my previous post? Well, I finally found the vampire. How, you say? Well, I have been privileged by circumstance. The vampire is my broker. He has high social skill from his long life. A caravan came. While he was feeding. Wow. I checked the depot screen and, lo and behold, Ducim Robermomuz, broker vampire. What shall I do with him?

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27229 on: January 07, 2013, 07:52:02 pm »

I'm debating adding the [TRAINABLE] tag to my giant black mambas... Since I've already done a little editing of the raws to allow breeding them, as well as dragons and rocs (for teh lulz) I see that as a minor addition. Plus I imagine a swarm of giant war black mambas following my milita, and paralyzing/crippling enemies with their bites... And can't resist.

You should do this, it is for the best.  I just lost one of my two black mambas (not giants, sadly) to giant languars.  The good news is the poison is very viable against giant creatures. 

On a side note, I also recommend not adding [TRAINABLE] to giant cave spiders, I did that and the resulting webs turned my dwarves into a shooting gallery for the goblins.

In my own fortress, I just had a platinum warhammer made, with images of my own fortress being founded.  That will be put to good use.  A child also just made a Giant Coati Bone spear, with images of a Dwarf being raised to King of The Spear of Avalanches.  I wonder if that spear would be good to use compared to a steel spear, or should I just put it up for decorations somewhere?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27230 on: January 07, 2013, 08:29:27 pm »

You should do this, it is for the best.  I just lost one of my two black mambas (not giants, sadly) to giant languars.  The good news is the poison is very viable against giant creatures. 

On a side note, I also recommend not adding [TRAINABLE] to giant cave spiders, I did that and the resulting webs turned my dwarves into a shooting gallery for the goblins.

Heh... I added it in, and have seen a distinct lack of goblins ever since the training program went into effect.

That, or the word of my arena is somehow spreading.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those two have killed 22 and 18 goblins each, all from ambushes I caught over the years. Sadly, I am out of prisoners.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:34:09 pm by Lich180 »

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27231 on: January 07, 2013, 08:40:03 pm »

Starting a new fort. This one will be dedicated on mastering the pump stack...

And no brooks, which might be a problem because I wanted to experiment with pump stacks...

Pump Stack experiments should be done with Magma anyway... that way, you'll REMEMBER your mistakes!
Never pet a burning dog.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27232 on: January 07, 2013, 10:02:07 pm »

The first goblin siege to show up on my doorstep, a platoon of crossbowmen, was defeated with only three obvious casualties, none of which were fatal wounds. Broken bones and torn muscles, but I didn't even notice any severed nerves, so they should all be back on their feet in no time. The doctors get a little practice, and no great losses, as far as I'm concerned.

With bronze armor being produced, I expect my militiadwarves to be far more effective by this time next year. I'm still dissappointed in the lack of steel, but goblins won't necessarily bring weaponry fit for dealing with bronze anyway, so it should be enough. Nice to be able to produce it straight from ore, too: takes way less time than mass producing steel would.

Two legendary weaponsmiths will be producing some good quality copper bolts, crossbows and hammers. If I can get ahold of some fine steel imported weapons, I can arm the blade-users a little better too. Either way, I'm going for that candy at some point. It will be glorious.

[edit]

Well, I dun jinx'd myself. Two of the soldiers that were injured jsut died of thirst due to the issue of not being fed or watered, because they apparently thought they should stop resting and instead do nothing. While still being too crippled to haul themselves anywhere, which of course resulted in nobody feeding or watering them, and them being unable to take care of themselves.

Also, a titan attacked; a clear-glass humanoid with spindly antennae whose every movement is marked by joy. He was one happy SOB until I trapped him on my trap bridge and stationed the marksdwarves above him. Now he's target practice.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:55:17 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #27233 on: January 08, 2013, 12:53:04 am »

So... Terrifying Freezing Arctic Ocean with a volcano. I'm gonna use my incredibly awesome shitty Microsoft Paint skills to show just what's going on with this new fort.

Yeah... it's gonna be some time before my framerate returns to something playable (it's gotten better as the obsidian plugged the hole and less water was going in).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:01:31 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27234 on: January 08, 2013, 02:58:40 am »

I had something similar to the volcano/water nonsense occur in one of my earlier forts. The FPS was actually bearable, but the "A section of the cavern has collapsed!" spam was not.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27235 on: January 08, 2013, 03:01:23 am »

Well, my dwarves are not in a good mood.

Goblin siege. Two mounted cavalry squads this time. The leaders had non-flying mounts, so their pathing didn't get broken, but some of the other troops did. So, lo and behold, they fly up and start picking off my marksdwarves up on the wall. Melee troops arrive to save them, and despite being technically successful, one of my most important troops, from the starting seven, was knocked off the wall into the waiting siege below. She successfully defended a marksdwarf that had fallen from a few enemies, because of a martial trance, and as that squad retreated their commander came around the corner and hacked her to little pieces, then killed the marksdwarf. I think the commander of that squad escaped unharmed, too.

At that point the second goblin squad showed up and more fliers breached the defenses, creating more havoc for me as I tried to repel them. The goblins ogre squad got shot up by marksdwarves, as did the rest of that hammer squad, forcing them to retreat. The price of victory was pretty damn high, though, as quite a few militiadwarves are dead or hospitalized now. I need more coffins...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27236 on: January 08, 2013, 03:46:18 am »

Starting a new fort. This one will be dedicated on mastering the pump stack...

And no brooks, which might be a problem because I wanted to experiment with pump stacks...

Pump Stack experiments should be done with Magma anyway... that way, you'll REMEMBER your mistakes!

I do not want to experiment, I just want to learn how to create power generation. Plus, I wanted to create a few tower-water reservoir with floodgates that would have release the water over the sieges. But without rivers I cannot do that, because I don't want to flood my settlement. So maybe I'll have to dig some tunnels to the caverns, providing that I can find one with running water, of course.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27237 on: January 08, 2013, 04:14:25 am »

I decided to open a deep mine, because in the three-ish years I've played this game, I've actually never had cause to praise the miners. This is mostly because I design horizontally and only need about three levels to fit everything I need (my poor dwarves). However, this site revealed the location of a ☼spoiler☼ when I was setting up my danger room, so I can't not dig deep now, for a future date when I'll be needing Fun on demand.

First cavern was breached with little incident, and I descended to the second, where a voracious cave crawler relieved my miner of his hands.

I don't know whether to laugh or feel bad for the guy as I watch him doing laps around the soap stockpile in the hospital. Probably should drop a ceiling on him at the nearest convenience. :T
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27238 on: January 08, 2013, 04:20:22 am »

I do not want to experiment, I just want to learn how to create power generation. Plus, I wanted to create a few tower-water reservoir with floodgates that would have release the water over the sieges. But without rivers I cannot do that, because I don't want to flood my settlement. So maybe I'll have to dig some tunnels to the caverns, providing that I can find one with running water, of course.
If all you want is to experiment with power generation for pump stacks, build a dwarven water reactor. They can be bucket filled and produce 170 power to your stack, minus the cost of the linkage. That's enough to power 17 pumps.

If you want to make the reactor waterproof, build a pump with the solid tile facing towards your water or magma stack for power transfer, acting as a wall.

z = 0
╔═╦═╗

O
╚╗╔╝
█╚═╝█

z = +1
╔═══╗
W+W
WXW
WXW
╚╗╔╝
█╚═╝█

z = +2
╔═══╗
║+++║
║+++║
║+X+║
╚╗X╔╝
█║║█

[To Pump Stack]

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27239 on: January 08, 2013, 06:52:52 am »

@Jimmy: thanks for the tip! I'll try it (after building a minimal fort, that is).
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Pages: 1 ... 1814 1815 [1816] 1817 1818 ... 3839