Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1812 1813 [1814] 1815 1816 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120180 times)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27195 on: January 06, 2013, 11:47:14 am »

I have plenty of food thanks to my two superb hunters hunting with the bones of their hunted animals (elephants, keas, wombats, etc.) and kittens I slaughter. I also have enough to drink and everyone's happy and ecstatic. Though everything's going so slow because of minimalistic migrant waves. Actually, that's the first time I'm in need of migrants. Oh, and I need copper. I have a lot of natural coal, but no copper and my miners can't seem to find copper.
At least I have a lot of marble. Marble doors, chairs, tables, bridges and so on are really shiny!

Edit: Finally, some migrants arrived! A lot. Now I can get a little militia squad running. Though they'll have no metal armor or weapons, yet. :/ Edit: Too many, aaahh!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:22:06 pm by rumpel »

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27196 on: January 06, 2013, 12:36:57 pm »

I've just enclosed 2 kids in a small box room outside, I'm waiting for them to die so I can use their bones to craft a mighty weapon for their mother. After that I'm going to create a waterfall and dump every bloody corpse in the source, red rivers are safe rivers! When I'm finished rallying the tantrumers I'll be creating an arena, every dwarf who survives a battle will have their closest friends/partner/children/relative/acquaintance killed and their corpse dumped in their room. As soon as the tantrums and spirals begin I'll see if I'm able to defuse the situation using traps and cougars, free the cougars! Blood for the blood god! Problems for the overseer!
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27197 on: January 06, 2013, 12:37:12 pm »

The sprawling city of Townpaddled got besieged- again- by undead during their 8th year. Luckily, some elves, pissed at their diplomats getting slain at Townpaddled territory, decided it was the best time to launch a surprise raid at the dwarves. No problemo, more time to get civvies inside the fort... I turtle up and station my already necropit-trained marksdwarf squads at the entrance. The two elite marksdwarves can always do with more of their kin. Meanwhile, the irrigation of magma pipe doesn't go so well... Lazy masons forgot to plug the miner's exit, and now nearly all of pipe hallways are flooded with minor amounts of water. Good thing that someone managed to pull the switch to stop river from flowing more into the fort.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27198 on: January 06, 2013, 12:39:55 pm »

And of course, another siege comes along and kills half my population. Again. My fort needs some migrants, I currently don't have enough dwarves to keep everything maintained, run the smelters and forges, keep the farm going, etc. Things are going to start getting bad pretty soon unless I get a migrant wave. And now every migrant wave is accompanied by the message "Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger" and they've been smaller than normal.
But at least my baron died.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27199 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:28 pm »

Increase the value of your fort: crafts, statues, useless things. Forge everything in gold/silver...
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27200 on: January 06, 2013, 01:16:48 pm »

Urist McEverydwarf cancels Clean: Throwing tantrum.

Really? Given the blood splattered everywhere, you only decide to clean when you're about to tear the fortress to pieces?

In fact, the giant eyeless woodpecker that flew in and set fire to everything did a better job of cleaning than all 250 or so of you dwarves did; where the ashes are, there is no blood, ichor, or body parts (excepting those added afterwards by tantrumming dwarves).

This did also have the minor side-effect of starting the tantrum spiral which is currently in progress.

However, not all news is bad; the militia training project has been a great success! Well, for certain values of 'success', at least. The militia did a respectable job of holding down the woodpecker by beating it until the everything was broken, then my axelords swooped in for the killsteal by decapitating it.

All this took place in the midst of a raging inferno, which was formerly known as 'the stockpile of everything in the fortress', a surprising amount of which was actually quite flammable. In fact there's still smoke coming from some stray fires even now.

One problem with an above ground fort is there's always a lot of stuff to build, so I always leave minor, unimportant things to do later - y'know, stuff like walls (on all levels above the first), floors (on the ground level), secure stockpile locations (what? The stuff's fine where it is, on the ground, and it only ends up there so I can deconstruct the wagon), little things like that.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27201 on: January 06, 2013, 01:20:33 pm »

An incrediably epic fail.
Finally found a nice site, with multiple necro towers, not much wood, no flux (unfortunately) and, for some reason, PLATINUM, MAGNETITE, HAEMATITE, AND TETRAHEDRITE ON THE SURFACE.
And absolutely, so far, no fuel.
Anyway, devised an ingenious (by my standards) method of taking out the inevitable zombie sieges and necro ambushes. Near the end of the first year, just before the caravan, I caught (cage trap) a human necromancer.
I set up a training room for my small military (three marksdwarves) that involved them bludgeoning hair and dead birds and stuff to death.
I put in a dead falcon, some horse hair, and my soldiers, locking the door behind them.
Immediately, I pulled da lever.
And my militia commander fell asleep.
before I could pull the lever again, (to block the necro's Los) the bird bit him in the throat.
And shaked.
And shaked.
And shaked.
The lever was pulled, but the damage was done.
Before they could finish the undead off, one of the marksdwarves got his toe broken and passed out from the pain.
The other was strangled to death by his reanimated friend.
They all ganged up on the unconscious third soldier.

I lost my expedition leader, who was the only qualified trader, and the leatherworker who made their armour.
My armorer, who came with pretty awesome skills,
A cheesemaker, the armorer's wife,
And all their equipment: three crossbows (two wood, one steel), almost full leather armour, and a couple of metal boots from the caravan.
Oops.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27202 on: January 06, 2013, 01:50:34 pm »

My giant black mambas have finally made babies (had to edit raws a bit) and I now  a cage with 50+ of the babies... Currently slaughtering all other livestock to make space for more... I'll keep the war dogs and some pigs, but these snakes will produce more than enough meat, hides and bones for me to survive on.

Just don't know how long it takes for them to grow up... But they are still effective at detecting thieves and snatchers. The map edges are still being blocked off, the lower third of the hill tends to be packed with ambushes...

Caught a minotaur, hoping for bigger game soon... (Rocs,.dragons, etc)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27203 on: January 06, 2013, 01:53:06 pm »

Three raiders decided to try to steal from me. MY scavengers Riot and Electrode beat them into bloody meatsacks and my scorpion exterminator Sandy sliced one to ribbons.

Bit of a pain to clean up since both engagements resulted in many removed teeth.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27204 on: January 06, 2013, 03:15:05 pm »

Losing an average of 2 dwarfs per siege. If only those bastards didn't bring elite goblin archers along, life would be spiffy.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27205 on: January 06, 2013, 04:20:22 pm »

I personally hate their flying bats, and I'm losng a lot more due to tantrums.  The siege itself would be about 5, tantrums would be 10.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27206 on: January 06, 2013, 04:39:03 pm »

Awesome. Metalsmith's Forge has been claimed by Urist McStrangeMood demanding metal. I DON'T HAVE ANY FUCKING METALS!

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #27207 on: January 06, 2013, 04:46:44 pm »

I have lost a metalsmith because of cave-in. These idiots can't even dig a place for marksdorfs to shoot... He has fallen 4 z-levels. And he has got only bruises from this... But the cave-in has destroyed a lot of weapon traps. I bet he must look like a pincushion now...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Bellairs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27208 on: January 06, 2013, 05:42:03 pm »

Tame monarch.

After my count met some ugly death or another, my fortress reverted to mayoral control. But I was far enough along the capital road that a year or two later I had a queen and entourage arrive. I located her in the unit screen and went to check her preferences. She didn't have any. Huh? Looking again at the Citizens tab unit screen, I found her current job was listed as "Tame", in the same royal blue as most everything on the Pets/Livestock tab. She does appear as monarch on the Nobles screen, but otherwise appears to be a noncitizen visitor: she doesn't appear at all on room assignments lists, the squad list, etc. She is on the pen/pasture list, though. Her entourage members behave normally. Also, her mood (content) has not changed a month in. I did save and restart the game; no changes.

Anyone have theories about what's happened and/or its fixability? Not that I necessarily want it fixed, mind you. I'm contemplating nicknaming her "Georgette III" and letting her roam her pasture contentedly.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27209 on: January 06, 2013, 05:44:15 pm »

What is she? A human? Elf? Goblin? You can use tweak makeown or maybe fixmigrant to gain control of them though.
Pages: 1 ... 1812 1813 [1814] 1815 1816 ... 3842