Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120262 times)

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »

I currently am trying to work out why a baby died for no apparent reason, "Baby mcdwarvey has bled to death", I paused, and went in search of the fella, after a short time i found him dead in the dining hall, it looked like it had dragged itself away from the table before dying, during the middle of a party, and i found a sheep standing over the dead baby's corpse, so either my dwarves attempted some satanic sacrificing and got it wrong, or I've got a bad case of "Violence of the lambs"

or a mammoth charged in through the ice roof/wall/pyramid combo, killed the baby and vanished into thin air, which cannot be discounted as a possible explanation really.

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2009, 07:18:57 pm »

Nohting really just OH GOD EVERYTHING burns mostly :V

The population fell from 80 do 25 in 10 minutes.
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2009, 08:40:19 pm »

Current project is using up all the gold I've spent the last year mining to erect a 10+ story golden tower, capped with a level of platinum in my courtyard, the goblins have been very quiet this year too, thank Armok, because my steel production has dropped to zero while this have been going on, got another 350 pieces of ore yet to smelt. Also trying to figure out just what exactly I have to do to attract royalty to my fort, I want more fussy nobles to clean up after, dammit!
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 21, 2009, 10:52:33 pm »

Working on a dwarf vegas. Once I have the games built up I want to do a community fort around it with rotating gamblers (who die in... interesting ways when they lose all their money).

My attempt to change Dig Deeper so the goblins start sieging early and the orcs come late didn't work. Dunno why. So I modded the orcs to be trappable. I figure orcs work just as well for sadistic gambling machines as goblins. Normally I take the orcs head on, but this is a special case, I'm not really playing a challenge fort, this is for a megaproject. Now I need more cages, the one thing this map does not have is any wood short of the UG river, and I forgot that on embark and only brought 20 logs with me.

Currently I'm trying to magma-dam my UG river so I can build a tower cap farm. My plan is to put retracting bridges over one of the waterfalls and wire them to a lever on the surface (taking NO chances on flooding the fort). Once that's done, I should be able to flood it really fast. I have my haulers clearing the stone out of the room now. Then I'll finally be able to build a real underground farm and retire my old farm for sand collection.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 22, 2009, 12:11:02 am »

Got bored of a fort so I collapsed a ceiling down the central staircase.

There was a couple of deaths followed by a tantrum spiral, as planned.

But they didn't kill each other fast enough so I abandoned.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2009, 12:16:29 am »

Searching for an embark site to start my boat Fortress.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 22, 2009, 03:09:07 am »

-finished building my 15 z-level drop tower/channel but i have to change design for the landing area.
-found out that the dwarven king is an elven hippy. building deathchamber for him right now so he can die asap if he ever arrives.
-building an ambush alert system all around the map. hope this works like i want it to work.
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 22, 2009, 08:58:48 am »

Finally start on building a well, seeing as how shuting the gates isnt a good idea when caring for injured dwarves.
Start trianing up some more dwarves for my military, Im getting tired of how many civies are dieing to ambushes.
Working on expanding my goblin collection. STill dont know what I want to do with all of them...
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2009, 09:42:56 am »

I have to deal with six megabeasts.

-The first two are trapped in my trap alley.  Both are immune to drowning, magma, traps, and self-regenerate faster than my military can throw bolts at them.  To get rid of the pests, I have sent 20 dwarves into intensive military training and will unleash them once they become legendary wrestlers, legendary shield users, expert armor users (and fully clad), and hold an expert mastery in at least one weapon.  Even then, I am not certain they will be able to take down one of the beasts, let alone two, as both have obliterated multiple simultaneous goblin and skalassi ambushes with disconcerting nonchalance.

-The third and fourth are impossibly agile flying creatures that almost always one-hit-kill and are able to out-tank an attack from 20 simultaneous invaders.  That's right, they regenerate faster than 20 goblins attacking them at once.  They move at incredible speed, but fortunately seem to need air - thus, a drowning chamber should get rid of them, so long as my drawbridges rise quickly enough.

-The fifth is a gray dragon, flying and amazingly strong.  It has destroyed five migrant waves and just as many caravans so far.  It is slow, fortunately enough, and its regenerating ability seems rather limited, so a good bolt barrage ought to get rid of it.

-The last is a death tyrant equipped with fifty tentacles.  A complete unknown.  It hasn't fought against anything yet, thus I cannot assess its fighting ability.

Meanwhile, I prepare the drowning chamber in order to make up for those megabeasts' ability to completely avoid traps.  At least this will deal with a portion of them.  Some of the water from the underground river will be redirected to reservoirs in order to begin a tower-cap farm, seeing as current production is nowhere near what I wish it was.

Eventually, I'll be able to keep the entrance sealed and thus fully secure all dwarves from the outside world.

Meanwhile, the megabeasts do a fine job at routing sieges.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 22, 2009, 11:17:16 am »

For the first time in... ever, I've had a mood that required plant fiber cloth and I didn't have any. My pitiful farms were so focused on growing plump helmets (and, due to the massive influx of dwarves, I'm also on the verge of both starvation and mass dehydration) that I had no food. Luckily, I received a herbalist in the last migrant wave, and was able to have him gather the underground plants in my brand new tower cap farm and come up with some pig tails.

Just found out I accidentally left a hole in the back of my fortress. It was discovered by one of my wrestlers going to get a drink from the river. I frantically ordered one of my squads to go station themselves at a choke point in my mines, only to discover that the single wrestler had killed all 8 of them. I'm a little pissed at the goblins right now, they ran off the elves and for once they're welcome guests - one of their llamas was packed with food and I'm only barely keeping my dwarves fed right now. On the flip side, I got the food for free, but I'd rather the elves have actually brought it into the fortress and then bought the whole thing for a cave spider silk shoe.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:31:52 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 22, 2009, 12:40:29 pm »

I have to deal with six megabeasts.
Sounds fun. I thought you could only have one megabeast on a map, and that they stopped sieges while they were there?

Also, any chance of posting the raws for said megabeasts, or a link to them? They sound quite Fun.

Roland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 22, 2009, 03:05:39 pm »

A new migrant wave has just come in, and I am hurriedly trying to force my dwarves to grow more plump helmets, or at least harvest the ones that grow. Booze is running low and they will NOT be getting more. A dwarf who cannot bring a stack of -cat tallow biscuits- from the kitchen to the food stockpile does not deserve alcoholic drinks. Those biscuits sat there until they rotted, which is inexcusable because every single one of the little jerks had food hauling on. On the plus side, since it's a reclaimed fortress, I have 200+ traps. So I'm not worrying that much about sieges.  Also, there's a friendly goblin swordmaster running around in my fortress.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:09:52 pm by Roland »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 22, 2009, 06:01:13 pm »

The migrants showed up in droves after I raised the pop-cap. 500k dwarfbucks in wealth so far.

The traders showd up(Human). I had some many +Leather crafts+ that I managed to convince them to leave with some claystones in addition. I have enough food to keep my fortress fed for several years now.

Jeez.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 22, 2009, 06:26:30 pm »

A new migrant wave has just come in, and I am hurriedly trying to force my dwarves to grow more plump helmets, or at least harvest the ones that grow. Booze is running low and they will NOT be getting more. A dwarf who cannot bring a stack of -cat tallow biscuits- from the kitchen to the food stockpile does not deserve alcoholic drinks. Those biscuits sat there until they rotted, which is inexcusable because every single one of the little jerks had food hauling on. On the plus side, since it's a reclaimed fortress, I have 200+ traps. So I'm not worrying that much about sieges.  Also, there's a friendly goblin swordmaster running around in my fortress.

I've had this happen on a larger scale. After giant immigrant waves (30+dwarves, good god)  I had a serious food and booze crisis. After managing to secure a portion of the UG river for water, I begin to cook seeds and process the sweet pods, dwarven beehives (Dig Deeper), and Quarry Bushes my herbalist was finding in the tower cap forest. Lost a stack of 50 prepared food because the dwarves decided it was better to haul 1 pig tail seed to the farms than to haul enough food to feed the entire fortress for a season to the stockpiles.

The trick is, you have to forbid all the other haulable food. Just do a mass forbid over your farmer's workshop, still, and any querns/mills you have. After that, presuming you have spare labor, they'll haul the food because they have no choice. Kind of sucks, really, Toady needs to fix that. It's one of the reasons I don't usually mess with cooking unless I get into a food crisis, it's just not worth the hassle.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 22, 2009, 07:27:33 pm »

Things were going too smoothly in my developed fortress, so I started a new one in a slightly more dangerous area. This was the first time I've EVER had to begin the game by quickly making four Crossbows and some Bolts, then drafting all seven of my starting Dwarves and mounting a military operation to clean out the embark-site before settling down and digging in.

In the middle of the melee, my drafted Miner (with no military skills) went into a Martial Trance and started screaming and flailing away with his Pick... he ended up with the most kills. None of my Dwarves took any wounds.

A very Dwarfy start to the game.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 3842