Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1789 1790 [1791] 1792 1793 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122405 times)

FingO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26850 on: December 08, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »

Alas, Vabôkarel, Orbwater withered a second time today.

The first time a fort of ninety almost starving dwarves got attacked simultaneously by the forgotten beast Osman Heartdrools and a goblin army. This attack from all sides was too much thus I saw my fortress crumbling to its end a first time. One funny detail was that the last dwarfette Ilral Coppermessiah, though strucken by melancholy, starving and dehydrating (which was ultimately her cause of death by the way) and quite useless, was surviving long enough to witness the extermination of the whole goblin army by the forgotten beast.

Trying to reclaim has proven that the enemy of an enemy might still be the enemy: Osman killed the reclaiming party easily (and with the help of a Troll named Russettar who fought with a cave spider silk dress)...

Well, guess I have to go into adventurer mode to rescue this fortress.
"In Plaguemoments I slew a human over a week." - Em Kisstorments, administrator

"Can Kutsmob Pimplehate save the world?" was a legendary bone-bound book. The written portion consists of a 30 page essay entitled "Can Kutsmob Pimplehate save the world? authored by Kutsmob Pimplehate. It concerns the giving up on being a fishery worker of the goblin necromancer Kutsmob Pimplehate in Bristleseductions in 29. The writing has its moments of cleverness.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26851 on: December 08, 2012, 05:42:42 pm »

I've just had a DWARF die of OLD AGE.

I... I think I need to lie down.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26852 on: December 08, 2012, 05:44:55 pm »

I think you're the first person to have this happen to them. Ever.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26853 on: December 08, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »

I decided to start a fortress on an evil embark for once. As evil biomes go it's not that bad -- it rains human blood and reanimates the dead, but the mountain is safe when there aren't any necromancers around. The first set of migrants got in okay, coming from the eastern mountain while the assorted forces of undeath were chilling in the western swamp.

The issue here is the cave -- I couldn't seal it up before the first wave of undead critters migrated, and so some cavern dwellers came up and got themselves killed in the swamp. Then they reanimated. Then some of them must have made their way back down, because my Deceased list is getting steadily longer.

But my civ has access to both copper and tin ore (I set scarcity to 10000, and there's not a scrap of metal here except the usual stuff), because apparently their single site is sitting on every single vein and cluster in the world. So I brought a bunch of ore and fuel, and the military is pretty well set up. I'm hoping that the caravan will get in safely too, and give me enough stuff to make some silver hammers and steel picks.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26854 on: December 08, 2012, 07:03:13 pm »

I think you're the first person to have this happen to them. Ever.

Not true at all. But it is rather extraordinary to lose dwarves to age. Maybe he's jsut been playing too defensively, and not using his dwarves like the fodder they are.

In fortress news, I finally raised my pop cap so I'll recieve migrants again. And a child I'd assigned to glass making was possessed and is currently constructing her artifact. Made a hella-sweet bed!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:06:30 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26855 on: December 08, 2012, 07:05:56 pm »

Got ambushed by two necromancers (one dwarven and one human) both around 300 years old. They immediately went on to reanimate around 20 mussel shells and some yak and water buffalo hair. This happened relatively early in the life of Staffdragons (just before the first caravan arrived that directly turned around and went home when they saw the zombies). At this point I only had one soldier (an axedwarf, one of the starting seven).

Due to countless ...: Interrupted by whatever messages I was unable to produce some more copper armors and weapons so it was all down to this sole dwarf to handle the undead. All went well and after 2 ingame months he had around 135 kills and already named his copper battle-axe. Then something bad happened. Some harpies showed up (half of the embark is a haunted biome). They got one lonely dwarf who wandered the wild and teared him apart. Obviously he came back to life after some time. I think he was a Great Fish Dissector in life and that was the reason he earned his nickname "Knobhead". I was able to hold off the zombies down the entrance hallway but eventually they settled on my farms. That was some kind of status quo that lasted til spring.

And then my booze stockpiles began to dwindle. The last way to go for me was back up to where the zombies where. My civilians already ran amok at the borders of the burrow and when I checked on them most were already dehydrated. So I sent my only militiadwarf back up and he hacks his way through all these zombies, eventually becoming a legendary fighter and Master Axedwarf. The zombie hair or mussels were no match for him but one of the harpies eventually did cost him his left hand. Anyway this little bugger just shook it off and after like 40 ticks his wound had already healed. So now he has around 200 kills, he already gave his axe a name and in the end his sacrifice (his hand) saved the whole fortress.

Sorry for this long post but after a long pause from DF this was like the first memorable thing to happen to me again :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26856 on: December 08, 2012, 07:32:54 pm »

After noticing that one of the wild ravens on my map has a name, I was compelled to investigate recent combat reports, because being named suggests having kileld something, and being a raven suggests an inability to pose a threat to... Well, anything.
What the reports revealed was... Disturbing...

I had already known my outpost liaison was a shaman, and that shamans have the power to transform into a raven. So, apparently this flock of ravens chose to harass him, leading him to "flee" from the wild beasts, which is the cue for the transformation interaction to take effect. However, the liaison didn't flee rapidly, as that interaction is supposed to permit; a way to rapidly escape enemies and shake off wounds they'd inflicted. The Liaison instead engaged them in a mid-air battle, no less than 27 z-levels above the ground. During this fight, he apparently transformed back into a dwarf, and fell the full heigth back into my animal pastures, and exploded on impact.

So, now there are dorf bits and blood scattered all over my animal pastures, and a smug-ass raven flying off with a new title; "Sneersstruck," because she was the last thing to attack the liaison before he plumbeted to his death.

I just know that raven is going to become a quest target for later adventurers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26857 on: December 08, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »

So my fortress is currently having a Giant Ravensplosion....Armok help me. Why did I tame giant birds?! There is so many hatchlings!
Unf.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26858 on: December 08, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »

So my fortress is currently having a Giant Ravensplosion....Armok help me. Why did I tame giant birds?! There is so many hatchlings!
Deploy the magma.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26859 on: December 08, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »

Deploy the magma.

While darven that's wasteful. Since they're of the giant variety they will yeild edibles and bone trinkets. You know what must be done.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26860 on: December 08, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »

Deploy the magma.

While darven that's wasteful. Since they're of the giant variety they will yeild edibles and bone trinkets. You know what must be done.
Hmm...That is right. Although, I could always sell them to the mountainhomes.
Unf.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26861 on: December 08, 2012, 08:14:27 pm »

Deploy the water then.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26862 on: December 08, 2012, 08:20:01 pm »

And the necromancers.

Tame beasts+water+necromancers+hammerdwarves=more beast to go around!
I make Spellcrafts!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26863 on: December 08, 2012, 08:34:42 pm »

So, my fort is currently being harassed by a pair of giant gargoyles. More specifically, the first wave of migrants is being harassed.

I'm somewhat cautious of tearing down the barricade to my fort and sending out my lone unarmored legion-hammerdorf  to face them; the first time he got double-teamed and got his head snatched clean off without landing a hit. After savescumming, I'm now thinking of enlisting all the migrant wave to wrestle them down and then send in the legiondorf.

On the bright side, the raining dwarf blood seems harmless, and judging by the slain pet drake's lack of shambling back to life and craving brains I can assume this evil biome is actually somewhat survivable. I would've preferred reanimation so I could try a trap pit of zombies, but oh well. I'm just glad the rain doesn't melt the dwarves' faces off like the last one.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26864 on: December 08, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »

So I found adamantite.  The king arrived, and was a vampire so is thus restricted to his quarters.  However, I am afraid to mine said adamantite because according to DFhack... it's connected to a black square that is not revealed and goes straight down into the magma sea, and hell, so I'm a little worried.  I've honestly never hit adamantite before so I'm afraid to pierce it and risk possible demons when I'm not sure if I could handle them.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 1789 1790 [1791] 1792 1793 ... 3842