Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1777 1778 [1779] 1780 1781 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123429 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26670 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23:27 pm »

Kitten stepped on my keyboard, and changed some setting in DF. I think it's in... Truetype now? Changed the font of all the menus so it's not using ascii anymore.
F11 should fix that!
No, F11 appears to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode. Oh well.
Try F12.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26671 on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:05 pm »

Kitten stepped on my keyboard, and changed some setting in DF. I think it's in... Truetype now? Changed the font of all the menus so it's not using ascii anymore.
F11 should fix that!

F12. And maybe pasture the kitten...;)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26672 on: November 30, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »

F11 should fix that!

F12. And maybe pasture the kitten...;)
Wait until it's mature so it's tallow is the tastiest. I mean, er, pet it.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26673 on: November 30, 2012, 06:41:47 pm »

So I've been very laboriously casting a giant block of obsidian on the surface, with the intent of carving it into an awesome, gleaming black epic fort for my dwarves to live in while laughing at all the other pathetic creatures that live in anything other than an awesome, gleaming black epic fort.  It's 80 urists long, 40 urists wide, and, at 47 urists tall, is almost tall enough to accommodate my original plans.  But I'm starting to get greedy, and I'm tempted to add more on top of the original planned structure.  With the ideas I'm tossing around, the extension wouldn't need to be as wide, so it'd be faster going to add subsequent levels.  The problem is that I'm rapidly approaching the top of the embark, which is a measly 67 stories above ground level.  Does anyone know if there is any possibility of hacking the saved game so as to extend the embark ceiling up a bit more?

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26674 on: November 30, 2012, 07:57:07 pm »

New fort. Haven't played df or been on here for quite a while. On the 4th embark site I struck gold. Trees everywhere, surrounded on 2 sides with mountain, fire clay, loads of magnetite, gold, hematite and plenty of flux. Also kaolinite, platinum, and a deep map. There's also a brook.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only downside is no lignite, coal, or sand.
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26675 on: November 30, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »

New fort. Haven't played df or been on here for quite a while. On the 4th embark site I struck gold. Trees everywhere, surrounded on 2 sides with mountain, fire clay, loads of magnetite, gold, hematite and plenty of flux. Also kaolinite, platinum, and a deep map. There's also a brook.

Only downside is no lignite, coal, or sand.
Mine it all. Mine it all right now. Plate the entire fortress with it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26676 on: November 30, 2012, 08:10:08 pm »

I have no idea what happened, but evidently the novice of my two hunters managed to suvive being bitten in the head, injected with venom multiple times, and before it could pray a fifth volly of web, brain the offending cave spider with her crossbow. Evident;y even a GCS that has alot of natural strength behind its fangs can't bite through a combination of a rope reed hood and a leather hat far enough to kill. Why she thought trying to attack an ambush predator was smart is beyond me but then so is the fact she survived (she may be crippled though, I'm not sure, unless the paralysis made her drop her crossbow.)

Is it normal for someone to survive multiple GCS venom injections to thier head?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26677 on: November 30, 2012, 08:16:26 pm »

Nope. GCS venom is a guarantee of suffocation due to lung paralysis for most smaller creatures. Especially dwarves and under.

If she didn't visibly become winded on her wounds screen, I suggest testing her for vampirism.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26678 on: November 30, 2012, 08:18:02 pm »

-snip of drowning kobold-
Bahaha. What rotten luck, eh?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26679 on: November 30, 2012, 08:23:02 pm »

So I've been very laboriously casting a giant block of obsidian on the surface, with the intent of carving it into an awesome, gleaming black epic fort for my dwarves to live in while laughing at all the other pathetic creatures that live in anything other than an awesome, gleaming black epic fort.  It's 80 urists long, 40 urists wide, and, at 47 urists tall, is almost tall enough to accommodate my original plans.  But I'm starting to get greedy, and I'm tempted to add more on top of the original planned structure.  With the ideas I'm tossing around, the extension wouldn't need to be as wide, so it'd be faster going to add subsequent levels.  The problem is that I'm rapidly approaching the top of the embark, which is a measly 67 stories above ground level.  Does anyone know if there is any possibility of hacking the saved game so as to extend the embark ceiling up a bit more?

The casing looks kind of funny, being constructed from a mix of block types.  Still, it's impressive, no?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26680 on: November 30, 2012, 08:25:32 pm »

Nope. GCS venom is a guarantee of suffocation due to lung paralysis for most smaller creatures. Especially dwarves and under.

If she didn't visibly become winded on her wounds screen, I suggest testing her for vampirism.

Oh she did become winded (even cannot breath for a breif instance) quickly. I don't know if it was her sheer size being a human or her disease resistance but she's alive and well (if currently needing her head stitched up.) She's also not old enough either in age, appearance or skills. I thought this was the case for Ghost but he's barely into his thirties and showed up with a wife and ten year old son in tow.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26681 on: November 30, 2012, 08:27:55 pm »

Oh she did become winded (even cannot breath for a breif instance) quickly. I don't know if it was her sheer size being a human or her disease resistance but she's alive and well (if currently needing her head stitched up.) She's also not old enough either in age, appearance or skills. I thought this was the case for Ghost but he's barely into his thirties and showed up with a wife and ten year old son in tow.
There's only one way to truly be sure. Drowning chamber.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #26682 on: November 30, 2012, 08:28:08 pm »

Quite impressive, nbp. Also, don't hack the height of the map higher, just grab some picks and lower the surface. Bonus points if you then submerge the rest of the map so you have an awesome, gleaming black epic fort rising out of a steaming doom lake.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26683 on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:10 pm »

There's only one way to truly be sure. Drowning chamber.

To valuable as a markswoman to risk. Plus our water source is forzen or has job interrupting cave squids (I fucking hate pond grabbers) in it and I'm still building the settlement. Honestly we're accidently living like dwarves as it is at the moment out of necessity. Thankfully caravans and enemy troops have been more than happy to provide us with food however. Plus most human settlements need to import good stuff like  dwarven sugar, syrup, beer, and fabric. This place, thanks to the caverns being a measily 6 z's below has access to that stuff all on site.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26684 on: November 30, 2012, 08:38:42 pm »

Perhaps she has amazing endurance/disease resisitance, then. I once had a miner drop himself into a cavern lake 3 z-levels underwater. Took him an astounding amount of time to climb out, but he survived regardless. He most certainly was drowning, though.

Sometimes the RNG favors individuals without any particular reason. And then the next day, dumps them in the magma sea as a result of a string of unfortunate coincidences.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1777 1778 [1779] 1780 1781 ... 3842