Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1725 1726 [1727] 1728 1729 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127099 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25890 on: October 05, 2012, 11:31:04 am »

The retracting trap bridge proved to be far less effective than hoped. It doesn't retract quickly enough, and the massive spike pit 5+ z-levels down doesn't quite kill things to death as much as I like. Except when merchants or dwarves fall down it, then it's just far too effective.

And thanks to the beastmen killing their diplomat, I am now at war with the orcs. And possibly someone else.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25891 on: October 05, 2012, 11:33:01 am »

A grizzly bear appeared on my map! hooray!

... but she won't step on my cage traps :(

she mostly leaves my dorfs alone though. Except for that planter she randomly killed for lulz (she afterwards gained the title "Boredsandals"... which since she's randomly going around the fort is fitting). She also killed a lama, and later tried attacking another defenseless planter.

A defenseless planter equipped with a (<<-iron battle axe->>). The planter counterstrikes! The battle axe severes the bear's right paw, which sails in a arc!

She's now bleeding all over the floor of my fortress...

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25892 on: October 05, 2012, 12:40:23 pm »

Huh, I didn't know that was even possible.  I thought they'd bring oodles of it no matter what.

I was wondering about it myself...never seen it before.  They brought a way larger than normal quantity of plump helmets/meat/fish/cheese and cages this year, but this caravan has the wagons with it so weight capacity is like 90,000.

Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25893 on: October 05, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »

Huh, I didn't know that was even possible.  I thought they'd bring oodles of it no matter what.

I was wondering about it myself...never seen it before.  They brought a way larger than normal quantity of plump helmets/meat/fish/cheese and cages this year, but this caravan has the wagons with it so weight capacity is like 90,000.
iirc, it's elven caravans that always bring cloth. You better hope spring comes and so do them.

Bataille

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25894 on: October 05, 2012, 04:08:03 pm »

Year 7 of my fort, just got attacked by a fire-breathing-falcon-forest titan. He crisped up close to 1/3 of my population including practically all of my military that died valiantly try to cut him down. Majority of my outside fortress is covered in ash, refuse and corpse piles are no where near large enough. To top it off the survivors are either lying in the hospital due to smoke inhalation or throwing tantrums from losing their spouses/children.

We will prevail!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25895 on: October 05, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »

3 to 4 of my dwarves got butchered by gobbos. I managed to ward them off with repeaters and the help of the dwarf caravan.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25896 on: October 05, 2012, 06:11:59 pm »

3 to 4 of my dwarves got butchered by gobbos. I managed to ward them off with repeaters and the help of the dwarf caravan.

3 to 4. Wut.

Also, Overboards has just embarked. My first megaproject. I've got flat land, so I'm going to build a giant 180x180 marble and obsidian chessboard over the map, centered over my staircase. Then I hand it off to some two player to play Dwarf Chess with 10x10 constructed pieces.

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25897 on: October 05, 2012, 06:15:57 pm »

Well my current fort Ancientblades had its first test to see if it can stand.

I just survived a siege of naga in the summer of my second year with only a skilled axedwarf two accomplished spear dwarfs and 2 adequate swords dwarfs. I lost both of the spears dwarfs and the axedwarf but the swordsdwarfs and two golems fought off the naga advance and pushed the nagas and their war mastodons back. Now i have to go deal with the inevitable tantrums that are about to occur.

Oh and by the way im playing with the masterwork mod if anyone was wondering.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25898 on: October 05, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »

Working on a dungeon to tie into my D&D campaign. Will need to defile area somehow if i am to get a army of skeletal guardians of my (Neutral Evil) Drow PC's Tomb.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25899 on: October 06, 2012, 04:43:45 am »

Going to be less storytastic with this entry for my 7D survival

We've hit the first generation of kids finally marching past puberty and becoming peasants! the fort has lasted for 11 years now!

http://i.imgur.com/w2pKA.jpg
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:46:27 am by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #25900 on: October 06, 2012, 07:25:33 am »

Got a fairly good fort going in a cold region right next to a goblin fortress. The northern part of the fort area has part of an Evil tundra biome so there's occasional blight clouds, but they stick to that biome, so aside from some unlucky traders, cats and a couple of my own dwarves those clouds haven't been a problem.

Breached the caverns, couple of Troglodytes and a Troll got through before i finished walling, but my starting Miner who was at Legendary+5 applied pick-to-ass justice. Goblins sent some ambushes after a while, they took out the three soldiers i had guarding the entrance so i drafted my starting Miner again and put him to work. He took out 4 gobbos in the blink of an eye and sent the rest running, so i decided to keep him on sentry duty and get a couple other dwarves on mining (i'd already had a few migrancies and had *cough*stolen*cough* some picks from the last dwarf caravan). Also sent him off to take out the aforementioned Blight Zombies. Eventually a friggin orc (Orc Mod 2012) Thief took him out by biting his arm off, the pain leaving him open to attack.

Got 4 more soldiers training, 6 Wrestlers i've got exercising on Screw Pumps (they do still increase strength and such, right?) before i have them train properly, got another sentry up at the entrance. Trade is good (50 masterpiece stone mugs for all of your food and drink. IT'S A BARGAIN!), aside from a little hitch when the Blight Clouds screwed over the dwarven traders* right as they arrive, so i've got a little less food than i would've had (i was able to snag some of the food when the traders got Blighted, but most of it went rotten due to being out in the freezing cold).

Now, about that vampire that's taken out 4 dwarves so far...

*That reminds me, 4 of the migrant waves so far brought these NPC dorf Traders. They don't do anything, they just stand around near the edge of the map. Anyone know why that might be happening?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Urist ZatRethol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25901 on: October 06, 2012, 09:36:04 am »

for my most recent fortress,I chose to start building one z-level above the magma sea. Digging a staircase down went very good, I only breached only one cavern layer that was quickly walled off, and started digging out the fortress. When digging out some rooms for workshops on the second level of the fortress, I came across some adamantine, and thought this fortress is going to turn out great, then I started digging and it was the fastest fortress I ever lost.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25902 on: October 06, 2012, 09:39:22 am »

My Complex i was making in the Post Apocalypse mod Got flooded when i connected the reservoir to the Secured River. I'm starting to think that doing plumbing like that isn't going to work.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25903 on: October 06, 2012, 11:12:02 am »

After several raw dives and tests, I've solved why I couldn't remove vanilla plants without it bitching about ivs with no crops - all civs need access to at least one plant with EDIBLE_RAW on its base.  The more you know!  With this solved and a few new plants to cover everyone's farming needs, we now have no vanilla farm plants.

Embarked on a test world for my new things/fixes.  I decided I would build as genomes should and this will be an entirely above-ground fort, with only stone quarries and maybe stockpiles being underground.  To make this Fun, I embarked on a map that is half Joyous Wilds marsh and half Terrifying Shrubland.  Oh yeah, I want zombie malboros.

Toady really needs to adjust evil rain durations.  It's...ridiculous.  The evil half of my map is already completely covered in black mage goo and it's not even mid-spring yet.  The hell.  It's amusing watching great black swaths of it float away on the stream though.

Edit: And my only miner just died.  Stop trying to build the wall with only the bridge supporting it, dumbasses!  You fall into the stream and drown that way!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:28:14 am by Clover Magic »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25904 on: October 06, 2012, 11:26:04 am »

Illithids killed the Dusk Elf diplomat. So, in addition to goblins, beastmen, illithids, lizard folk, and orcs(thanks to the beastmen), now we have to deal with the dusk elves. Who, by the way, are far more awesome than the sylvan elves(and vanilla DF elves).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1725 1726 [1727] 1728 1729 ... 3842