Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1722 1723 [1724] 1725 1726 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127404 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25845 on: October 02, 2012, 11:47:00 pm »

war cave crabs seem to enjoy taking part in troglodyte genocide. If they see one, they set out to exterminate the whole tribe.

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25846 on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:35 am »

Found a clown car without an entrance!  And magma.  Without involving the circus, for once.  :-X

EDIT:  And I've got a vampire!  This won't end well... !!FUN!! maybe, but certainly not well...  :-\
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:21:30 am by Eisenritter »

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25847 on: October 03, 2012, 12:06:23 am »

Hehehe take that you hydra.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Aaand now it got up.

Double edit: Hooray caverns!!! Now my grazers can eat Floor Fungus instead of grass-infested grass YAY!!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:27:48 am by gbrngfol »
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25848 on: October 03, 2012, 01:31:42 am »

While attempting to impress a dwarven caravan passing by on it's way to another fort,Guzo Tormentached the sole miner of fort Hatredchain, dug a channel within several hours from the fort entrance to the river. It turns out the clever dwarfs had tricked the above grounder sergals into digging their own tomb, the entire expedition of seven is now trapped deep underground with gallons of water between them and the surface. Oh no! Will these surface lovers learn to live like dwarfs in the vast caves of the underworld? Or will the go stark raving mad?

Doing my first 7 dwarf sergal survival

Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25849 on: October 03, 2012, 04:15:54 am »

Spent a while removing all the ramps round the mountain and creating a single trap-infested entrance. Just saw it work, much to my satisfaction:

"Snatcher! Protect the children!"

*I look at the creatures screen, to see "Caged Prisoner"*

Upon looking at the entrance corridor I find "Mato Enguarar's right lower arm" and "Mato Enguarar's left lower leg" lying in enormous pools of blood, then the goblin herself (still living!) who somehow crawled straight into a cage afterwards o_0

Found a total description of the Goblin, I doubt she's going to survive long enough to train my troops :\

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:47:05 am by StubbornAlcoholic »

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25850 on: October 03, 2012, 04:02:29 pm »

Spent a while removing all the ramps round the mountain and creating a single trap-infested entrance. Just saw it work, much to my satisfaction:

"Snatcher! Protect the children!"

*I look at the creatures screen, to see "Caged Prisoner"*

Upon looking at the entrance corridor I find "Mato Enguarar's right lower arm" and "Mato Enguarar's left lower leg" lying in enormous pools of blood, then the goblin herself (still living!) who somehow crawled straight into a cage afterwards o_0

Found a total description of the Goblin, I doubt she's going to survive long enough to train my troops :\

She might, sometimes creatures will survive no matter what. Take the hydra in my previous post for an example. At one point every single one of its bodyparts were either cut open, broken or missing and it still refused to bleed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25851 on: October 03, 2012, 04:09:49 pm »

She has pretty piss-poor chances, and having one's guts spilled isn't good for one's health, but she could conceivably survive. IRL, she would almost certainly have had many lacerations through her intestines, which could not be repaired even if they were hanging out a massive gash in her abdomen. It would be fatal, even ignoring any other damage, and the pathetic dark-age medical services provided by her captors (and the fact they wouldn't offer them even if the player DIDN'T want to see her suffer)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25852 on: October 03, 2012, 04:15:36 pm »

That's what's great about DF. because we can have dwarves lassoing emu with thier guts if the hole in thier midsection gets sewn up.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25853 on: October 03, 2012, 04:36:08 pm »

Had to hurriedly seal off my well and hospital when the FB found its way in.  Thankfully it was too busy destroying grates and beds to wander into my fort, so there weren't even any interruptions.  Unfortunately this now means that the hospital and well are off-limits.

I tried to fight it in a save-scummed test run, since it was made of salt.  it went down quite fast, and my pathetic two-person military didn't even get hurt...and then they spontaneously bled to death in the hospital hallway about five seconds afterwards.

Them poisonous vapors are serious business.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25854 on: October 03, 2012, 04:55:36 pm »

Sounds like a fair trade if you ask me.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25855 on: October 03, 2012, 05:00:34 pm »

Had to hurriedly seal off my well and hospital when the FB found its way in.  Thankfully it was too busy destroying grates and beds to wander into my fort, so there weren't even any interruptions.  Unfortunately this now means that the hospital and well are off-limits.

I tried to fight it in a save-scummed test run, since it was made of salt.  it went down quite fast, and my pathetic two-person military didn't even get hurt...and then they spontaneously bled to death in the hospital hallway about five seconds afterwards.

Dreading my first FB encounter! Haven't lasted that long so far though, something always wipes me out before I dig any depth into the earth :\

More experimentation with the same fortress today. Goblins are seriously tough little SOBs! They have quite a remarkable ability to survive and heal.

My side project alongside the usual construction tasks has been to fashion a 10-storey-deep chasm to throw/drop errant Gobbos into (possibly incorporating it into my drawbridge entrance as a kind of doom-moat later on). Anyway, at the bottom of the chasm I put a full load of iron spikes.

The first use for it was trying to kill a Giantess. She was so heavy that the retracting bridge failed to move and she then smashed through the locked doors and charged at my barracks. Fortunately I'd pre-emptively lined the route with giant axe blades and the big lass collapsed in a heap almost instantly. I engraved a memorial for her, as my first "special assailant" :P

Most bizarre fall so far has to be a Goblin Master Thief. He miraculously sustained only a broken arm on the whole drop. He then missed all the spikes on landing - only for the otherwise harmless cage he was released from to fall down on top of him and apparently crush him fatally XD

A female Gob Thief also sustained not a single fatal injury, but got mangled horribly. Cuts, broken spine, maimed limbs, bruised organs. I felt she'd more than paid pennance for her trespassing, so I caged her again when she crawled out of the pit and she's since healed all the cuts she sustained and remained breathing. The game actually keeps track of the scars of her old wounds too, which I thought was pretty impressive.

I'm going to relocate her to a deluxe engraved Dwarven bedroom as a permanent (and unlikely) guest of honour :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:03:26 pm by StubbornAlcoholic »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25856 on: October 03, 2012, 05:11:47 pm »

And this is why I like aquifers. Sure, they can be the most difficult part of the game at first, but they are worth it. Especially if you secretly want to build a hyper-complicated Super Collateral Hydrogen Bond Gun.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25857 on: October 03, 2012, 07:59:17 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 10th Moonstone, yr.453
First Previous Next

Tsukasa died from forgotten beast extract. Only 5 of us original-dwarves remain. Even though our population is ~40 dwarves, I still worry if we will make it out of here alive.

That child is still restless in his bed. Every time we try to help him, he interrupts his sleep. He still seems terrorized by some unknown zombie. Also, he strangely doesn't seem to get hungry or thirsty. He's only 1 year old, I'm not sure how long he plans to stay hospitalized.

Other than that, things are quiet. So I sketched some pictures of our lower fort.

Spoiler: Lower Fort (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:53:30 pm by ZzarkLinux »

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25858 on: October 03, 2012, 08:41:08 pm »

Yet another artifact. A trumpet this time. With three pictures of itself on it.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25859 on: October 04, 2012, 01:20:02 am »

It has been a year since we first became trapped in the basement of our once ambitious fortress plans. Guzo is no longer a sergal mocked for his gullability. It seems the dwarfs had not fooled us, but they had saved us from destruction. The last sergals, possibly even the last creatures that can speak.... besides the dwarfs.... they must know what happend, they are probably down here with us in these caves. These caves, have changed from a cruel harsh new world into our forests,rivers and lakes. The dwarfs have saved us from a horrible fate that falls the surface, just as we were to prepare an tunnel to the surface we could feel the heat that after months has only begun to dissipate(( magma apocalypse, sun explosion, your choice~ )).

Guzo and I have carved out the living rooms as well as storage, a main hall, and a rather inventive trap Dubas came up with. Using a bridge linked to a pressure plate to drop creatures nearly 25 floors down, we nearly died of starvation digging it but the trap was worth it. The drop trap to the caves has already killed nearly 10 invaders to our den, and has functioned without incident since creation.

We have also managed to funnel the wildlife of the cave into a section of cage traps keeping us with a steady supply of meat, as strange as the wildlife down here is. Speaking of the wildlife, Shigu has been spending his time taming two wild bird like creatures we captured identifying one as male the other female. She says we may have a full clutch of eggs within the year, and that the young will be much easier to domesticate. We are slowly making a foot hold in this dark forbidding space. Food, water and alcohol production has been stead, and Astud and Sux have recently become a couple expecting a child by the start of the new year. One is a number we need to make up for, our friend Nass sucame to infection after she was attacked by what looked like a toad, but it was huge impossibly huge for a creature on the surface.

I've enclosed a map with this journal, I can only hope we push on to greater things in these depths, maybe meet the Dwarves that saved us down here. I pray for those above us a peaceful rest.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:27:10 am by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!
Pages: 1 ... 1722 1723 [1724] 1725 1726 ... 3842