Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1698 1699 [1700] 1701 1702 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128968 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25485 on: September 14, 2012, 12:20:02 am »

I have decided, due to the massive amounts of useless artifacts and platinum, to give my enemies a true goal to attack this place for: The Bank of Glacialhell. Platinum coins out the ass, platinum teller desks and statuary. Also hit the magma sea, as there's not other source of magma, but it' got a secure route down. Now I have to build grates out the ass and carefully build the magamaworks.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25486 on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:31 am »

Dwarven justice is still being broken. Prisoner starving and dehydrating because fuck that guy for not making 3 useless picks, who needs metalsmiths anyway. So I had his chains deconstructed in the hope that he'd get a mild beating, CoTG come along and scratches him in the head which somehow caves in his skull.

Convicted the captain for his murder, now he's spending 201 days in jail.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25487 on: September 14, 2012, 12:44:03 am »

Hope he likes death. And useless? picks make great emergency weapons!

Latest idea: Attempt to capture magma crabs. Probably impossible, even with modding, but they'd make for awesome bank guards.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25488 on: September 14, 2012, 12:46:24 am »

Okay, this is strange. After the slaughter of all their friends and family, my remaining dwarves are ecstatic more than anything else...

I think it's due to the surplus of legendary meals and wide variety of alcohol my badass brewer-wrestler left behind before marching off to die, but 1/3rd of my fortress is ecstatic, and another 1/3rd happy. I have only a few fines and lower, mostly due to being lazy fuckheads making friends all day rather than helping the fortress.

It also doesn't hurt that there's just as many missing as deceased. I just hope that cocksucker running around outside doesn't discover them all.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25489 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:50 am »

He probably will. Beginning proper work on the magmaworks: Two smelters, a kiln and a glass furnace along with a forge is what will have to run given the limited space.

Also: I'm getting sick of these crundles clogging up my cages and freaking out workers. If I didn't have so much food and bones as it stands, I'd totally order all of my fucking crundles to the butchershop.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25490 on: September 14, 2012, 01:09:24 am »

Fire imps are starting to be a problem. Since my magma workshops are straight on top of the magma sea, the bastards shoot fireballs out of the maga tap-holes and turn my armorers and weaponsmiths into ‼XXarmorerXX‼s and ‼XXweaponsmithXX‼s and then dive out of range for any possible retaliation. This also leads to job cancellation spam, when the forges are filled with smoldering remains and smoke that count as "dangerous terrain", apparently.
(One imp did, actually, pop all the way out of the magma and into the workshop area. ‼Fun‼ ensued until my axedwarves chopped the thing to bits.)

Apparently, I need to rethink my magma workshop designs. But that is a thing for the next iteration...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:21:11 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25491 on: September 14, 2012, 02:00:05 am »

The elves have just earned my undying respect: They completed two breeding pairs, one of grizzlies and one of war trainable giant lynx. This is also the largets elf caravan I've ever seen.

I expect ambushers to be nearby.... THEY WILL NOT DENY MY NEW SOLDIERS AND GIANT FIGHTING BEASTS. And a giant slug, but that's just food.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25492 on: September 14, 2012, 02:20:24 am »

Fire imps are starting to be a problem. Since my magma workshops are straight on top of the magma sea, the bastards shoot fireballs out of the maga tap-holes and turn my armorers and weaponsmiths into ‼XXarmorerXX‼s and ‼XXweaponsmithXX‼s and then dive out of range for any possible retaliation. This also leads to job cancellation spam, when the forges are filled with smoldering remains and smoke that count as "dangerous terrain", apparently.
(One imp did, actually, pop all the way out of the magma and into the workshop area. ‼Fun‼ ensued until my axedwarves chopped the thing to bits.)

Apparently, I need to rethink my magma workshop designs. But that is a thing for the next iteration...

If you build your magma forges/smelters with the impassable tiles on top of the magma holes, magma creatures won't be able to get through. I believe the impassable tile is the top-middle one for smelters and side-middle (both sides) for forges.

Edit: While I'm here, a little bit about my fortress:

Moving up the ranks of nobility has been slow at Helmfaith since so few caravans/liaisons have survived their visit. After almost ten years, it's still just a county. Well, the king got impatient and showed up dressed as a peasant. Turns out he's a vampire. Doesn't even try to hide it. I locked him in his room, of course. Meanwhile, the human diplomat turned out to be a monkey devil posing as a deity. I did the humans a favor and kidnapped him. Of course, they didn't see it that way, but war suits me just fine.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25493 on: September 14, 2012, 03:10:41 am »

Slow season in Waterspear (not playing much the last few days).

New migrant wave came in to push the population over 70.  Housing and food supplies are keeping up so far.  Helps to be getting skilled labor - though the number of idle dwarves keeps climbing as well.  So the basic military training program will start soon, and a lot of dwarves have been assigned engraving duty and sent to start smoothing stone in various parts of the fortress.  The main shortages right now are drink storage and basic furnishings (tables, chairs, doors) since non-economic stone and lumber are in fairly short supply and the fort does not have sand to use glass as a substitute.

Babies starting to be born to add to the population.  But it was noticed that all the immigrant children are from earlier forts and are actually of adult age - they will "transform" to full dwarf when their birthday comes around.  Looks like most will come of age in the upcoming winter.

Latest group included many previous fort veterans.  A few more widely trained industrial workers, another legendary miner, and also a master weaponsmith and a master armorer who will get to work with the already present legendary armorer on making steel gear for the militia.  (And this saves having to wait for a weapon smith having to train up in order to really start weapon production.)  Pick of the recent arrivals was a legendary marksdwarf with competent teacher skill and already cross-trained to Level 5 in Hammer.  And she brought a masterpiece copper crossbow with her as well.  This gives the fortress a core of legendary squad commanders in different skills (axe, hammer, sword, crossbow) and a solid cadre of trained militia as well (Level 6-9 in a weapon and some dodge and shield use skill.)  With quality steel armor and soon quality weapons being churned out by the forges the first goblin siege will get a nasty surprise when it arrives.

Fortification construction proceeds as quickly as the kilns produce bricks.  Inner Bailey is getting a roof, while the walls on the Outer Bailey aka "the Kill Box" are getting heightened and a walkway for the marksdwarves installed.  Some extra ditches have been dug to direct traffic in certain ways and a few more simple weapon traps laid down to deter ambushers and thieves from getting too bold.

Autumn dwarven caravan is due shortly.  Hopefully that will help the fort restock in a few areas.  It will also probably bring a goblin attack in shortly before or after the scheduled arrival.

(Splint - This fort is sort of the apogee of this region's dwarf civilization.  Two previous forts allowed for the training of a very good cadre of trained military and industrial dwarves to be put back into the civilization's population pool along with "aged" children.  So this fort gets immigrant historical dwarf families that are a lot better than the average generated ones; and the children go to adult stage within a year.  And since I was expecting this I am constructing the fort expecting a large population and planning on a large (and active) military garrison and industrial complex.  The eventual goal is to go clown hunting.  And having five layers of "insta steel"* has not hurt - especially once I got some magma carted up to get the Foundry fully established.

So, as such, this is probably my best designed fort to date.  And it's drawing off experience from working up the previous forts of this civilization and world gen.)

* - For those who missed earlier posts the five layers of stone between the soil layers and the first cavern where most of the fortress is laid out consists of chalk (flux stone) with veins of lignite (coke material) and hematite (iron ore) running through it.  The miners can quarry out a block and all of it gets fed into the Foundry quantum stockpiles for the smelters to run on.  This is the first fort I have had with this combination of resources available - the rest have been lacking the flux or iron ore. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25494 on: September 14, 2012, 04:21:49 am »

If you build your magma forges/smelters with the impassable tiles on top of the magma holes, magma creatures won't be able to get through. I believe the impassable tile is the top-middle one for smelters and side-middle (both sides) for forges.
Ah. The problem is the smelters, then; all my current magma buildings have the left-middle tile as the magma access.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25495 on: September 14, 2012, 05:07:04 am »

I got a new fort now. And what's the size of my first migrant wave in the summer?

2 people. With nearly no labor or combat skill.

...Hooray.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25496 on: September 14, 2012, 05:27:47 am »

With a starting wave that small your civ might not be doing well in worldgen
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25497 on: September 14, 2012, 05:38:29 am »

Oh, let me check, surely they have good lead-... "No important leaders"?

Dammit, I should've remembered to pick a good civilization, rather than forget and let the game pick which one. I'm going to have to check their current state in Legends. I really hope they aren't crap, because then that's quite a bit of my time and a good embark spot wasted.

Edit: Ah crap, they got crushed 60 years before the game started and have no cities. Are you serious, game? You autoselected an almost destroyed civilization?

Time for a regen, I had picked pretty much the only good spot, and it went to waste. Darn.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:49:06 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25498 on: September 14, 2012, 06:37:30 am »

I'm just digging out preliminary lodgings before beginning construction work on "Adil" : The Wall. It's a nice frozen site split between an evil biome and a wilds one, with a little bit of evil beach as well.

Nothing particularly ominous has come from the evil biome so far, though it does seem to be snowing frozen elf blood...

Edit: I've just noticed that all the wood on the map is in the evil biome (the wilds is tundra). And I didn't bring any with me. Looks like it's a choice between lack-of-beds tantrum spiral, or sending Rangers out into the evil biome...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:42:37 am by imperium3 »
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #25499 on: September 14, 2012, 07:32:55 am »

So another goblin wave showed up in Ancientmines, and promptly thrashed the necromancer (I think; he might have ran instead). I've seen two distinct necros running around, so I suspect I still have fun ahead me of. Still need to figure out how to get one of them in a cage (thinking I'm just going to have to spam cage traps and pray I get lucky).

Fort had a baby boom, and now have 50+ children running around. Found my vampire (a ranger with no useful skills) so I walled him in. Miners made it down to the magma sea five years after founding, and are digging out the storerooms and places for the forges.

Two moods failed resulting in berserk dwarfs one right after another, but the peasant army managed to kill both. Five dead (no one useful I think). Since most of my fort been idle, everyone is friends with everyone (I have a few with legendary social skills), and a party been going on for the last three years.

My coffin industry finally has things to bury as I decided to put all the generated corpses the necromancers arrived with in coffins (not sure if they can generate ghosts; they show up as "Dwarven Corpse" when they get burried). Need to get a garbage disposal going to clean off the surface. Work on an greenhouse begins (laid the stone walls, still making enough clear glass for the roof (I consider it a bit too exploity to just use stone) as well as foresty clear-cutting as I ran out of wood being underground for so long.

During the insane dwarfs rampage, I lost a legendary miner, and my great miner managed to off himself and his pick when he failed the all powerful mine-and-run for connecting my forges to the magma sea. Immediately made some charcoal and forged a new set of picks and drafted a couple of new miners. I've gotten some good luck with exploration mining and found levels with flux, iron ores, and *lots* of copper and gold so my 8 smelters will be busy for a *long* time. I'm currently building a minecart system to bring the ore from z-100 to z-0 (magma forge level). First time using minecarts, so I'm just going to use guided for the time being and leave a fully automated system for another fort.

Saw some webs in the first cavern layer so may try and grab a GCS for silk farming.

I've got a great armor/weaponsmith (lucky migration), and will probably train up another one. Will probably start creating a marksdwarf army soonish with others soon to follow. Might be macedwarfs given my mayor keeps mandating I build them and cages (which I have no issue with, easy mandates are easy).

Tempted to build a squad with exotic weaponary (Knife User, or Lasher. I've never seen a blowgun in fortress mode), and then going after the HFS. Found candy, too afraid to mine it ATM. Last time I mined candy brought a quick end to my last fort.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 ... 1698 1699 [1700] 1701 1702 ... 3842