Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1697 1698 [1699] 1700 1701 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129118 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25470 on: September 13, 2012, 12:30:52 am »

Oaktree, your fort sounds much nicer/ more fun to run than mine.

Glacialhell has gone over the numbers:

Two named dogs and four others were lost in the battle, but amazingly this is the first siege in a long while where no friendlies aside from the dogs were killed or injured. Also a child has grown to adulthood. Yay. Now to find something for the little retard to do with his new found usefulness. Could always use another bolt carver.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #25471 on: September 13, 2012, 02:23:29 am »

I'm currently working my way through a second level of aquifer and my temporarily housing in the clay has been up far too long. That being said, this is the first fort where I tried my hand at both beekeeping, and glassmaking and have clean cut most of the forest we were in.

I also accidently atomsmashing an inbound wagon :-/.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25472 on: September 13, 2012, 02:56:55 am »

Ok, now it's getting silly. First siege winter 110.  Second siege spring 111.  I only had time to clear half the goblinite and corpses from the two sieges when a third siege hits.  It's barely midsummer 111.

this one was a nail biter.  Only lost one hauler to the swordgobs, but the others refused to drop their gear.  They dragged their stupid bins into the courtyard (I'm using multi-tier storage from now on).  One dwarf I had given up for lost managed to get to the walls, pursued by 6 trolls.  I order my military in the courtyard, and they engage in brutal combat, disengaging the monsters from their prey with nary a claws length between them.  Three squads of 15 or so goblins each coming into view and the fifth troll coming up the bridge-  the bridge slams shut.  The troll is flung into the waiting embrace of the mace dwarves, and only a single dwarf lost after the ridiculous machine gun siege.

The militia captain immediately goes crazy and darts up the back entrance trap hallway, three squads in tow, ignoring the station orders.  He manages to kill six goblins before finally succumbing. It was a sad day, as he was a founder and our greatest military leader.  Doors will be installed in the trap hallway so that I can lock up sections, preventing moronism.

I have reinstated hauling and mechanic duties for the masons, miners, and the smiths while we get the mess cleared and the traps reloaded.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25473 on: September 13, 2012, 05:16:52 am »

Thiosk, theres no such thing as "preventing moronism" in DF. Moronism IS DF :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25474 on: September 13, 2012, 07:20:52 am »

The Baron and Baroness just had their 22nd child at 75 years of age.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think they're trying to make most of the fort related to them so that they don't have an unfortunate accident.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25475 on: September 13, 2012, 08:28:31 am »

Second migrant wave of Deephail was not as lucky as the first.  Mainly because for some ungodly reason, instead of aiming for the outside migrant meeting area so they could get inside away from the zombies, they milled around on the edge of the map for god knows what reason.  Possibly in horror at the literal ocean of blood and zombies it's become.  Every tile is covered with "pool of summoner blood" and select others have more.  Two have gotten inside safely, one has bitten it (the only one who first went for the meeting hall - he might have made it if the others hadn't stood around like morons), and the last is stuck outside being chased by some zombie louse men.  I don't hold hopes, but if he escapes I may let him in.

I took advantage of the migrant to build a hasty bridge airlock system.  Nearly lost the fort when I realized I'd forgotten to forbid everything on death, and everyone rushed to the surface like lemmings.  Luckily I quickly turned that off, they went "oh shit, outside is hell!" and ran back in.  In the bridge-building debacle (that was suspended twice due to zombies), three zombies got in - I've locked two corpses out in the second cavern, and the third is chilling in the refuse room, locked in.  That's okay, I didn't need it anyways since I have no butchering or cats anymore, so I have no refuse, and I can dig another.  One of the migrants got hurt while putting those zombies down bare-handed (since we have no weapons), and is in the hospital getting treated.  I had no soap yet, so here's hoping there is no infection.

The migrant stuck outside is married to one who got inside.  I forsee that one being unhappy, but they'll get over it, my dining room is bitchin'.  It helped the medic get over his lost lover, after all.  They have nothing to do but smooth and engrave the fort anyways, and build memorial slabs to the idiots who don't make it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25476 on: September 13, 2012, 01:22:19 pm »

Stuff happens, boring stuff. Debating on things like emptying coffins into trash in exchange for slabs-only. Someone creates a legendary alder armor stand. Then I go to look at this armor stand, and I see a leather bound book. Wait... what? Who created a book? I see no reports of this book-creation anywhere. Well, it says it's written by a Cadi Fuchsiadens, so I make a copy of the world to look at legends.

The book is called "the Tower and the Ignited Lilacs, a 22 page short story about a tower called Pantedwires. It's full of amusingly clever quipes, and changes the topic quite abruptly.

Apparently it's written a female human necromancer, born in the year 812. This makes sense - I killed a few human necromancers by now. Looking through the archives, she became a lady of The Empires of Hearth at the age of 27, got married, and became obsessed with morality at the age of 30. Several years later, at the age of 51 (year 863), she learned necromancy from a dwarf Dobar Conjuremerchants. Later that year, she became so adept as to take on her own apprentice, Ape Truedroplets.

Judging by her various books written in the next 100 years, she went through bouts of depression and humility. She no longer felt human by any means, titleing several books along the lines of "My Friend the Human", "Skinny Humans", "The Humans Helmed", and "The Human: Before and After". Her original master never left her mind, and she never felt quite that dwarf's equal.

By 1035 she started to feel better about her life, writing the book "The Birth of The Human", which I can only assume is a great memoir of her redemption. Her last book, The Tower and The Ignited Lilacs" was created in 1049, which is the mule-leather-bound book in our possession. Then, in late autumn of 1055 she, along with several other necromancers, decided to lay siege to Urnprophet, her last mistake.

It didn't seem a mistake at the time, as the siege lasted 3 full seasons, with her necromancy animating corpses repeatedly - both those of fellow necromancers and bodies of Urnprophets citizens.

Yet, by midsummer of 1056, she was struck down by Uzol Stanceshot with his chestnut shield. Her body was raised several more times by other necromancers Rilstud and Zuglar until they too were killed.

her master Dobar Conjuremerchants is believed to be one of the female necromancers that sieged earlier and escaped, and her wereabouts are still unknown. Her apprentice Ape Truedroplets was slain here.

I suddenly feel a another "welcome to Dwarf Fortress" moment. Ahh.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Pokey McFork

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_TOOL:FORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25477 on: September 13, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »

My oaken minecart has recently gotten it's 14th kill, a useless stone hauling fish dissector.

Progress on a fortress-wide 'heating' system is slow, but steady, with the only casualty so far being a pet dog that somehow got caught in the main magma cistern during a test for leaks.

And the traders are still utter bastards, with them refusing a profit of ☼15000 in masterwork roasts for the third time. THERE WILL BE NO SURVIVORS.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25478 on: September 13, 2012, 02:35:55 pm »

Home civ caravan managed to get to the depot (unlike the rat people earlier, who have added to the zombie count) by way of guards.  The guards held the horde off long enough to trade for some much-needed food and an ANVIL.  Yes!  Metalworks are no longer suspended!  The guards eventually fell against the zombies, but one wagon managed to get off the map with its goods, so maybe the home civ won't think Deephail is a total hellhole, even though it totally is.

Anyways, I was working my depot airlock when....I PULLED THE WRONG LEVER.  Earlier I mentioned dumping two corpses into the second cavern layer - well earlier they managed to strangle a forgotten beast to death.  Said forgotten beast, of course, became a zombie too.  I thought I was pulling the lever to open the inner bridge after the merchants left and the outer one was sealed, but I pulled the one to the second cavern instead and that zombie FB strolled right into my fort.

We zerg-rushed it, and thankfully only lost one person, but I freaked out so bad.  At least there doesn't seem to be any of its blood anywhere - it had deadly blood, and I just don't need that in my fort right now.

The casualty was sealed into their tomb - I decided to be proactive and make a tomb for every survivor that had a coffin and could be walled off after burial, so they could have proper burials and if they rise, not stream into my fort - and now we're just cleaning up and putting the new goods into stockpiles.

Plus side I now have 200+ forgotten beast meat.  That'll keep us going for a while.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25479 on: September 13, 2012, 04:54:49 pm »

I posted Kulet on watch to get his fightan legs back after that injury and has done an admirable job of running down crundles despite being sober. I'm sick of seeing crundles.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #25480 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:24 pm »

So after three years of silence, the goblins arrived to seige me. I still hadnt managed to break through the aquifer, but I did have bridges in place so I sealed up the fort and focused on going down. As I got through the second layer of aquifer, a necromancer showed up with 100+ zombie army, and decimated the goblins. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to capture him.

I also managed to get through the aquifer and finally digging down the magma sea so I can get proper forges setup.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25481 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »

The casualty of the zombie FB attack has reanimated, but since she's sealed in her little tomb space it's fine.  It'll be like a zombie gallery down there.

Despite the fact that we're a zombie-strewn ocean of blood (it rains blood every other day I can't see the normal ground anymore), apparently the one merchant who got off the map in winter was enough to convince the home civ we're alive, because they sent us thirty-four damn migrants!  I despaired of getting them in alive, since about 20 zombies had camped in our entrance hall.  However, I had the brightest idea - I drafted ten of the migrants into a squad and zerg-rushed the entrance hall, replacing them if one fell.  I lost three and a fourth is outside in the very far northeast corner of the map, with a broken ankle/foot and both arms broken and stuck out there, but that means thirty migrants actually got into Deephail safely!

Of course, it's not without it's tragedy - two still haven't cheered up from "miserable" and "very unhappy" - never thought I'd ever see the thought "was attacked by own dead only daughter", but apparently one of the migrants I drafted came with her mom and attacked her when she died.  The other is upset about seeing death.  Get used to it.  Everyone else is at least in a "fine" mood, though - a well to wash off the blood gives a nice free happy thought, as well as admiring the Hall Of The Dead slabs.  About six of the migrants are children - I enabled stone-smoothing and hauling on them in Dwarf Therapist, because we need every pair of hands in this stupid fort, and adults not smoothing and hauling are useful adults.

I also may have inadvertently started a second zombie apocalypse with those two zombies I dumped in the second cavern - not only did they get that forgotten beast, they're slowly killing the olm and cave fish people down there and they're coming back as zombies.  I never thought a single genome corpse and a single dog corpse could start an apocalypse, but there you go.  The first cavern is similarly off limits due to two FBs in there - one is a fairly harmless iguana with poisonous something or other, but the other is a quadruped made of flame which set the first cavern actively on fire.  It may die in one hit, but the fire will do what it physically couldn't.  This is leading to an odd situation where the third cavern is ironically the safest of the lot.

All in all, I feel like I should be writing this up as a story, but I didn't take screenshots since it was only supposed to be a test fort for my modded FF9 races!  Now though I think I'll hold on til the bitter end.  Long live Deephail!

Also I solved the "milling on the edge of the map like idiots" problem.  Got some natural skills to adjust so they all stop showing up as hunters.  The free stream of crossbows, etc. is nice, but when they arrive on the map and don't find a stockpile to put their stuff in accessible, they stand around with their thumbs up their asses and don't move unless attacked by zombies.  Solution: weapon stockpile in the entrance hall, and adjusting those natural skills for the next fort.  Well, that's what test forts are for.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:52:11 pm by Clover Magic »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25482 on: September 13, 2012, 09:47:32 pm »

Currently I'm still digging out wings (no pun intended) of AnnualHate.  Just dug out the magma-based wing of workshops for later reference. Next I need to set up the hospital and finish up the barracks.

While I'm doing that I'm waiting for the elven caravan to go crazy from being walled up in the depot and tearing themselves apart.  They have some cool mithril gear, cloth, and some badass animals I want, but I don't exactly have the means to kill them off or properly seize their goods.  I didn't want to deconstruct the depot, that seems cheap, so the elves will just have to starve themselves...hopefully quickly.

Wings and flight have much less effect on dwarves' pathing and AI than I had hoped.  for example, miners will dig themselves into execution pits and sit there, not making use of their natural ability to fly right out.  it does allow dwarves to take shorter paths, but again the pathfinding seems wonky and ineffective and unreliable.

Our trade liason for the first year seemed content to float 4 z-levels above the surface near the mapedge for a season or two. I was afraid he flew up there and forgot how to get back down. He's currently following my mason/leader like the crazy creepo he is. It's spring of the following year and they have yet to initiate any kind of meeting.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25483 on: September 14, 2012, 12:15:07 am »

Currently I'm still digging out wings (no pun intended) of AnnualHate.  Just dug out the magma-based wing of workshops for later reference. Next I need to set up the hospital and finish up the barracks.

While I'm doing that I'm waiting for the elven caravan to go crazy from being walled up in the depot and tearing themselves apart.  They have some cool mithril gear, cloth, and some badass animals I want, but I don't exactly have the means to kill them off or properly seize their goods.  I didn't want to deconstruct the depot, that seems cheap, so the elves will just have to starve themselves...hopefully quickly.

Wings and flight have much less effect on dwarves' pathing and AI than I had hoped.  for example, miners will dig themselves into execution pits and sit there, not making use of their natural ability to fly right out.  it does allow dwarves to take shorter paths, but again the pathfinding seems wonky and ineffective and unreliable.

Our trade liason for the first year seemed content to float 4 z-levels above the surface near the mapedge for a season or two. I was afraid he flew up there and forgot how to get back down. He's currently following my mason/leader like the crazy creepo he is. It's spring of the following year and they have yet to initiate any kind of meeting.

Can flying sentiments fly straight up, or do they need to go on an angle? I do know that there are still a couple of issues with flyers in general... Like those idiot crows that run along the ground and tamed flyers that don't fly.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25484 on: September 14, 2012, 12:16:03 am »

I just got ambushed. I welcomed the change of pace at the end of a rather uneventful year.

I had been engraving a lot lately, so I expected the ambush and I was reasonably prepared to deal with it.

What I didn't expect was that the whole ambush would be made of several pikegoblins, a macegoblin, and a crossbowgoblin.
What I didn't expect is one of these said pikemen would strike down my second military captain a minute in with a punch to the head.
What I didn't expect was that while I was preparing the aforementioned military dwarf's resting place, my whole axedwarf squad would be wiped out by pikegoblins.
What I didn't expect was for half my fortress to run outside.
What I didn't expect was that I actually didn't give a shit about the stupid retards who ran outside, and so I closed the gates. It would be fine if they were just picking up the valuable steel weapons and garments a few feet from the gates, but nooooo, they had to try things like repasturing the Water Buffalo several goblins were in the process of chasing, and other brilliant slauter-invokers.
What I didn't expect was that my legendary +5 miner would go out and throw himself in front of the crossbowgoblin, pleading desperately to be executed.
What I didn't expect was that my favorite noble, a stout little bookkeeper, would die in the slaughter.
What I didn't expect was for my 3 swordsdwarves to be wiped out by one prick pikegoblin.
What I didn't expect was for my favorite dwarf, a battle-scarred, elf-killing Legendary Wrestler, Legendary Fighter to be sleeping whilst this whole event was going on.

What I didn't expect was that this whole event would turn a fortress of 50 dwarves into 25 moping useless fuckheads, most of my skilled industry and military dwarves having died in the slaughter.
I now have the beginnings of a tantrum spiral. I'm keeping the gates closed, assigning the better bedrooms to the more miserable of the dwarves, improving the meeting hall, etc. but I think this fortress is doomed. Goodbye Archgrowled.
Pages: 1 ... 1697 1698 [1699] 1700 1701 ... 3842