Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1696 1697 [1698] 1699 1700 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129083 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25455 on: September 12, 2012, 03:21:20 pm »

Well, I've got four still alive and walled in, completely cut off from the surface.  I had five, but one set himself on fire with magma and died.  He wasn't important anyways.  Amazingly, all the important genomes got inside - both miners, the woodcutter with his axe, and the medic.  Also a breeding pair of chocobos miraculously survived and got underground with us, so not all is lost.  We're currently scrabbling out a tiny existence underground, with a little farm in the caverns and such.  Also realized that my anvil is in the stupid stream out there with the zombies, so unless a caravan miraculously survives the zombies and brings us one, we have no metalworks.  We have sand though, so glass it is.

The current surface of my fort.  I love evil biomes.

Now...to see if the lone surviving female gets into a relationship, because I have a feeling migrants will be in short supply.  It's kind of like a real zombie apocalypse.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25456 on: September 12, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »

Forgotten Beast got spawned in the cavern.

Unfortunately for it, I walled off the cavern it's in. And the only open connection to the outside cavern is filled with magma. And I doubt it's magma proof.

So it's just going to sit there until I decide that I should introduce Marksdwarves into my military. Because I'm not going to risk a "deadly blood" Forgotten Beast.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25457 on: September 12, 2012, 06:04:43 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Galena, yr.452
First Previous Next

We've begun a massive undertaking to carve-out and wall-up our second cavern layer. Three new births and two new battle axes also, so I guess things are on the upside. Nanaka was released with a sutured hip, arm splint, and leg cast. She'll be fine.

Some humans arrived to trade. We saw their guards get mauled by Giant Thrip Zombies. The traders abandoned them and made it inside. We could smell the Traders' greed, so first we gifted them our low quality rocks, then we seized everything. Chased them into the caverns. They have no respect for their own guards, so we have no respect for them.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Layout (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:26:01 pm by ZzarkLinux »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25458 on: September 12, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »

DoublePost (Gateway timeout)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25459 on: September 12, 2012, 08:05:14 pm »

History seemed keen to repeat itself with a macedwarf being stupid and going out into the middle of nowhere and forcing a battle, but instead, he tranced and beat the ever loving shit out of four goblins.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25460 on: September 12, 2012, 08:17:48 pm »

I wish I had a longer bridge :*(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25461 on: September 12, 2012, 08:23:35 pm »

I beat two seiges by squishing the leaders with the main gate. The rest promptly said "FUCK THIS" and ran for the hills to die out on the glacier.

Present time, a snatcher attacked a kid, got kicked in the face and now only has tow ways to go:

North into a bunch of dogs and polar bear and war grizzly bear and several fast attack soldiers.

South into a horde of dogs, a giant war lynx and a war dingo, and the best soldiers, the macedwarves.

Fucked six ways to sunday he is.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25462 on: September 12, 2012, 08:37:44 pm »

I sent the elf caravan off with a BOATLOAD of profitzz, but the first of two back to back sieges annhilated the human caravan and diplomat, so I somehow doubt the next time the humans visit that they'll bring me grizzley bears.

This time, I got 115 invaders.  Exciting!  First big attack, last time was a paltry 40, except it was just about one month separating the two.  Caught a bunch of kids and haulers outside this time.

The mess will take at least a season to clean up.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25463 on: September 12, 2012, 08:45:47 pm »

Finally got around to building an archery range. Since we have so many bone bolts I figure it won't make a difference if they use up hundreds of them training. Draltha herd is growing, as is the massive hordes of crundles from captures and naked moledogs from breeding.

EDIT: The forgotten beast Devsem Atacared has come! An enormous mongoose with external ribs! It has large mandibles and a bloated body! Its vermillion hairs is patchy. Beware its poisonous bite!

The Purple Tombs shall shatter its teeth, break its ribs and destroy it's very body. or not. It's hiding in the cavern lake now, possibly out of fear.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25464 on: September 12, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »

Back at Paintcrush, I had met up with a forgotten cave blob, having the dreadful dust of deadliness.  To sum it up, only lost one dwarf, as a bunch of rag-tag dwarves managed to kill the globule.  Almost to the point of handing the fort off to a friend again for HIS turn.  Also got mad at my dwarves for using adamantine strands for sutures!  Hate when that happens, and that'd explain why I wasn't able to make wafers easily!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25465 on: September 12, 2012, 10:04:37 pm »

Crossed the 100 dwarf point with the latest batch of refugees. 

I now have (1) 3-dwarf squad of permanent dodge/armor trainees (teacher + 2 students, no shields/weapons) and (1) permanent "guard" squad (capitain of the guard, plus 2 minions).

The rest of the dwarves who were able (not children / miners / hunters / woodcutters) have been drafted into various crossbow militia squads.  All the masons in one squad, all the smiths/smelters in another.  So I have four "dwarves with special jobs" squads, and three "peasant / hauler" squads.

Only 27 of the 101 dwarves are not assigned to squads.  Waiting for a few more before I create a fourth "peasant" squad.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25466 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:55 pm »

Ah the peasent levy. If you're gonna go down, the fort's gonna go down SHOOTING THE ATTACKERS IN THE FAEC.

That giant mongoose still hasn't moved... Contemplating on sending the champion out to draw it into an ambush. Oh goody gumdrops! Crundles! Like I don't have a good 50~ of those.

The battle begins!

Kulet, the speardorf who suffered motor nerve damage in his shield hand has a tear in his foot and has been knocked into the pond. I expect him to drown, as he's attampting to flee the field due to his injury. He has however managed to inhibit the beast's ability to fight by puncturing a lung with a counter strike, before ducking into the water to avoid a huge mongoosey talon.

Next comes Ingiz, who has put a hole in each of its limbs and downed the beast and sent it into a frothing rage! Two more dwarves appraoch, pilfered Iron spears at the ready! Will the Armored Roses claim victory? Will Kulet drown? No he shall not! Dragged himself out and stabbed the thing in it's good leg. Only time shall tell!

EDIT: Devsem has fallen, and almost as soon as the fight ended, the beast's slayer (who delivered the fatal blow to it's heart from which it promptly bled out) bestowed upon her copper spear the name "Utir Enol," "The Loot of Grizzle." I like to see that as "The Grizzley Looter," as we get food and munitions from this thing's death. Oh and I didn't know this, but appearently she has a fractured skull.

Kulet is waiting to be rescued, partially because he passed out from his foot injury.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25467 on: September 12, 2012, 11:25:31 pm »

Holy crap, the first migrant wave managed to run underground before the zombies ate them!  We've raised ourselves from 4 to 13 now.  The livestock didn't make it, though.  Oh well.  I suppose in exchange for size and strength higher agility was the thing to do, they're just faster than most zombies.  Even a kid made it.  Fort is now walled back up and now I have to dig out some more bedrooms.

Luck was on their side, especially since they spawned on the other side of the stream - if the water hadn't been just low enough to cross where it's draining off the map, they'd be stuck over there and adding to the ~40 zombies wandering around.  It's only early summer, too.

You wouldn't believe my map soil is supposed to be yellow sand - so much summoner blood, so much.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25468 on: September 12, 2012, 11:38:16 pm »

Suprisingly he recieved prompt aid, a soapy bath, and was stiched up and ready for battle again within a week. The caravan arrived, for once not above the glacialhall proper next to the ambushes that are almost certainly sneaking down the ramp access I was forced to build as a precaution.

Or a siege can attack, that works too.

Squad 1
Macelord leading swordsmen
Squad 2
Hammerlord and spearmen
Squad 3
Pikemaster and macemen.
Squad 4
Trolls.

Possibly more. Right now the ONLY thing keeping the wagons alive, since the guards insist on jamming the wheels while keeping them "Secure," is the sheer distance most of the enemy must cross.

EDIT: A 5th squad of spearmen led by a master lasher also joined in. He ran since all but two of his men were squashed. Trolls got catapulted, most of them ending up dying on impact with the ground. Currently there is only th epikemaster left, and seeing as the majority of the siege is dead or running cause Dreamsmasher claimed more goblin sergeants, I doubt him and his boys will be sticking around.

Which he didn't. The survivors around the bridge were mowed down by The Silvery Rites. the siege is considered broken and the last enemy soldier who is a threat has been turned into paste under Dreamsmasher. I giggled every time that bridge moved, especially said last guy. Came to in time to see the bridge come down on him.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25469 on: September 13, 2012, 12:15:05 am »

Waterspear population over 60 now with another migrant group coming in.  A few more veterans bringing good skillsets in including a Legendary miner and one of the multi-master "industrialist" dwarves from Cryptdagger.  Also a few more skilled marksdwarves and mid-level skilled melee fighters.

The brickyard is working a full-shift making construction blocks and small runs of pots for the kitchen.  The miners are busy digging out stone and more iron ore.  Steel production ground to a halt temporarily due to running out of flux stone; and then the masons stopped making doors and tables due to a lack of non-economic stone.  The clothiers and forges are busy making uniform pieces for the militia squads that are being formed around the various veteran fighters that have arrived.  The Legendary Axedwarf is already a known terror to the local kobolds - he works close to the surface, wears uniform all the time, and can rundown a fleeing kobold while wearing full steel kit.

Goblins starting to appear.  A couple of snatchers have disrupted activities by suddenly appearing and then dying due to missing limbs.  This is due to a few weapon traps placed near the main entrance as a deterrence device.  We expect an ambush team or two are probably about so a patrol is out and some of the defenses are getting resource priority right now.

The "Kill Box" outside the main entrance has been walled and gated in.  The Keep wall is getting a walled (and eventually roofed) walkway for the marksdwarves to use with extensions down the sides of the "box" to allow a crossfire.  The inner area is getting slowly roofed in to protect the pasture from flyers and work is proceeding on putting in a large building on the hillock to hold barracks and additional fortifications.  The miners are also starting to dig the tunnels for installing a few railguns to fire into the box as well.  Additional "obstacles" will be installed as time and resources permit. 

Artifacts have been sort of ho-hum so far, though a miner did get a fey mood and made a gabbro bed studded with gems worth 40K db.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: 1 ... 1696 1697 [1698] 1699 1700 ... 3842