Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1695 1696 [1697] 1698 1699 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129228 times)

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25440 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:24 pm »

Suffering ambushes/sieges (I forget to save before closing, so often cycle though the same actions hoping for different outcomes) and my defenses are bad.

Only a couple of mechanism, one in a cage trap (worked on a goblin maceman, now to figure out how to make him "donate" his stuff before I "release" him... in my training room) and the other in a well. Working on making copper ones from what I can scrape from previous ambushes to make a small "trap hallway", though that's gonna be a little risky... Hopefully their bowman dies first so I can just snipe them to death.

Also, no diggable rock. Stupid aquifers

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25441 on: September 11, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »

A giant iguana with poisonous vapors attacked. The daggers I issued the marksdwarves are paying off... I really hope being paralyzed doesn't include the respirtory system or an entire squad just commited suicide. Also one got injured and I can't figure out how, because it's nothing but the marksdwarves, having expended all thier munitions, beating and stabbing/cutting into the thing. I think it may have kicked him in the arm.

Symptomes so far, are at least motor paralysis, drowziness, and general bruising on the afflicted areas.

Oh and it died of bloodloss, so more FB meat and bone goodies for all.

EDIT: Kills with necrosis. All my skilled marksmen just commited suicide. An entire squad gone. Not only that, it was a squad of soldiers that are a pain in the ass to replace because marksdwarves seem to suff from inability to learn or use ranges to any great affect. So much for building a silk farm with those prisoners. I need to get more soldiers and use them for target practice.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25442 on: September 11, 2012, 03:45:07 pm »

Was still figuring out the military... Failed, got deaths, tantrum spiral and on to the next fort.

I'm learning a lot though :)

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25443 on: September 11, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »

The daggers I issued the marksdwarves are paying off...

Hm what?  Not sure if sarcasm...
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25444 on: September 11, 2012, 04:19:28 pm »

No sarcasm one of them scored a bleed out kill when they slashed its throat.

EDIT: Irrelavent now. I'm fine with guys dying, but not to random acts of stupid or drowning. A war dog that belong to nobody killed itself charging a full squad of goblins. i forbade the body,. nothing was laying outside, and a soldier just walked out there for no reason so I couldn't close the gate. I am NOT losing soldiers that have taken years training up to something stupid like that. He wasn't upset, only negative thought was being active for so long related.

I have save scummed, so I at least get to keep my marksdwarves.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #25445 on: September 11, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »

At the moment I'm starting up a new fort to test my modded winged dwarves (yes I did just say that, I'm shocked too) and see how the newfound flying ability affects the dwarves' actions.  Nothing really noticeable, but I do plan on setting up a dedicated (hopefully legendary) squad of dagger users after my group name was randomly genned "The Daggers of Quaking" of our civilization "The Mysterious Poison." 

Also intend on war training the craziest native animal I can find, hopefully something like unicorns or dragon raptors or something.

Yes indeed, the future of AnnualHate (also randomly genned) seems bright indeed.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25446 on: September 11, 2012, 05:35:47 pm »

Out of boredom, Cryptclear has landmined the surrounding terrain with cage traps and we're training whatever gets caught that is trainable.  Caught some unicorns and couldn't let that go, so I modded a bit and now they're tameable AND trainable, so we'll have war unicorns, just because.  What fort doesn't need war unicorns?  Also have a pack of dingoes and giant crows.  And kestrels.  And a single barn owl for some reason.  The zombies and various animal people that wander into the traps instead are being used as military training fodder.  Also caught various giant insects, but butchered those because they only live like a year and fuck insects.

We have also passed 100 in population - we are now 122 proud dwarves burrowed into the snow.  Approximately the last 22 of those are babies born in the last year.  So many babies.  The entire spring migrant wave got drafted as well, and I'm attempting to muck with the schedules and alerts so a squad will always be guarding the entrance.  It's....going.  At least everyone's wearing their high boots now, so that is a plus.  I'm debating picking through the existing dwarves that are idling around and also adding them to the military.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25447 on: September 11, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »

catsplosion! every one of the cats has a fucking owner...motherfucker.

that is all
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25448 on: September 11, 2012, 05:40:50 pm »

a soldier just walked out there for no reason so I couldn't close the gate. I am NOT losing soldiers that have taken years training up to something stupid like that.

Definitely a known issue that claimed one of my older forts.
After you give dwarf orders, they will go back to the spot for no reason.

Yea, I abandoned that fort too after my O7 Axedwarf went moody and stupid outside :(

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25449 on: September 11, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »

catsplosion! every one of the cats has a fucking owner...motherfucker.

that is all
Kill the owners.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25450 on: September 11, 2012, 08:05:57 pm »

Siege!  Three squads of goblins riding giant olms have arrived, one of them is a crossbow squad so I'll not risk the budding military against machine guns and will let my trap hall take care of those.  There's also a couple of weapon masters in there.  The military, however, did slaughter the group of trolls the goblins brought quite handily, although not before the trolls knocked over some beehives.  Although now I'm being spammed with messages about dwarves being unable to pick up the cages that have caught goblins/trolls/olms because I've made all the civilians stuck in an inside burrow of my fortress.  Yes, you can't get the cages, shut up.

Elves arrived a little before the siege and made it to the depot.  They brought a buttload of wood and cloth, both of which I need, so that's good.  I need wood to make lye for my unicorn soap, and more socks are always needed in a fortress filled with babies.  Despite the siege and the red floods of cancellation messages, though, life continues as usual inside the fort.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25451 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:55 pm »

One of my military dwarves decided to go to combat training.

Once he arrived there, he finally realized that he was carrying a barrel of wine.

Then he went off to put the barrel back in the stockpile.

Oh dwarves.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25452 on: September 11, 2012, 11:56:51 pm »

Spring 897 - While the elves were visiting with their trade caravan, our scouts reported that a force of darkness had arrived.  We were surprised that it only consisted of 1 sword wielding goblin riding a furry critter along with 14 hammer wielding cousins.  It was a very short siege and they quickly turned tail and ran away.

40-50 marksdwarves on the ramparts > melee goblins
caged a few, drove the rest off before the elves departed after their trade

As always, I send the squads up, wait until they're mostly all there and firing, then cancel the station order.  That keeps them from running outside the civilian alert burrow area to pickup socks.  It also prevents them from running after goblins once they've run low on ammo.

My military trainer and her student are still slowly beating up each other in a small room.  Skill progress is still slow after a few years so I may have to danger room in some fashion.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25453 on: September 12, 2012, 12:40:29 pm »

Taking a break from Cryptclear to continue testing my homebrew Final Fantasy 9 conversion mod.  For shits and giggles I embarked on a Terrifying Rocky Wasteland.

I could tell how it was going to go when they parked their wagon on top of the frozen stream and the biome is not Freezing.  It's gone downhill from there, what with snowing summoner blood and then an army of Wren people corpses have come to terrorize us, and now my dogs are zombies.  I'm going to have chocobo and moogle zombies now, I am so thrilled.  (Really!  This is great testing!)

The two miners managed to make it underground and wall themselves off with nothing but their picks and the clothes on their backs.  We'll make for the caverns for food and water and see how it goes.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25454 on: September 12, 2012, 01:04:52 pm »

Made a new settlement on a different computer.

The first migrant wave has a Great Gem Setter/Flatterer, Expert Persuader/Conversationalist and Competent Hammerdorf (with other dabbling skills)

I was "wut?", though he can't be a vampire. Name's the same on Dwarf Therapist and the game, plus he's actually learning the new jobs I've given him.

Anyway, gem setter is currently useless to me, so be thankful that you're gonna be my default trader, dorf.
Pages: 1 ... 1695 1696 [1697] 1698 1699 ... 3842