Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1694 1695 [1696] 1697 1698 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129244 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25425 on: September 10, 2012, 07:10:11 am »

Did you turn on Make Caves Visible? If you're lucky you could find a dragon in one.

Yep, I'm trying to find the right one (or at least a potential one) but I keep getting spammed by the message "Lich180 cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Night Shift."

I'm a newb, so I don't know if this will work in the game, but it works logicially.  If you make your history readable and look for legendary dragons, they tell where their lair is.  (As well as name giant hyenas, etc.)

I'm also searching through legends, but I'm not good at translating the names of places in the embark finder thingy with the English name given in Legends... I'll get it right eventually.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25426 on: September 10, 2012, 09:07:10 am »

God damn is this the biggest fucking mess I've EVER run. And that's saying something. My first forts did better than this in year one. I basically already have two cripples and two dead guys with one who appears to be on the verge of flipping out and killing everyone.

You mean to say your first ten to twelve forts didn't starve to death/die from dehydration because you had no idea how to keep them alive once their initial supplies ran out? Dear god, where did I go wrong!?

First thing I did was start uprooting plants and killing the draft animals in my earliest forts. Basically crude dining room and food store were the 2nd thing up after a wood and furniture stockpile and the relavent shops. Always got slaughtered in year three as I never figured out the military or traps until i got to Tinhammers, which succumbed to 34.xx coming out :P I had a speardorf regularly run around oneshotting goblins with a copper spear in that.

So, the cavern dwellers are doing well, thier plump helmet crops coming in well. Ordinarily I'd never use those simply because of the ease of use of them and dwarves having a bad habit of eating brewables that can be eaten raw before meat, but they're doing well enough. Surface dwarves.... Not so much but they're getting better. Swordsdwarf turned medic is still unhappy, but at least he isn't near "FUCK EVERYTHING" levels now. I don't even know why he was so pissed. So he had to drink pond water twice and got caught in the rain once. He didn't even know the guy who got killed and beat the shit out of the guy he DID know for no reason.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25427 on: September 10, 2012, 11:26:12 am »

An addendum to my previous posts on finding a dragon / lair with said creature... the world I generated managed to keep a breedable pair of rocs alive as well.

2 pairs of rocs, 3 pairs of dragons with a female left over...

Whee!

Cage traps, cage traps EVERYWHERE!

(should also ask - do hydras have kids naturally, or do I need to add in the appropriate tags? I assume I do - copying the female [LAYS_EGGS] part should work right?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:51:32 am by Lich180 »

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25428 on: September 10, 2012, 11:36:21 am »

My current fort... has shitty defense.

Every diggable rock I've found so far is an aquifer, and the caravans haven't brought me any rock (I just got 3 from year2 dwarf caravan, which I used to make a traction bench for my hospital and a raised bridge in a gap between walls to let the next caravans in)

The first goblin ambush came at the same time as the caravan too, which meant the death of 10 dwarves- mostly civilians who didn't know any better than roaming the map for stray socks -.- but also lost a couple of marksdwarves because I have no idea of how to make an efficient military ;.;

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25429 on: September 10, 2012, 11:53:29 am »

The recently arrived large migrant wave is settling in at Waterspear. 

A lot of job displacement since this lot included a number of master and even legendary skilled dwarves.  The two legendary planters are taking over the farmplots (and allowing the switchover to "all dwarves harvest" to speed planting cycles.)  Both a Master Brewer and two Master Cooks have arrived to take over kitchen duties.  A Master Diagnostic dwarf will head the hospital now.  And there are now master or legendary bonecarvers, glassmakers, and weavers in abundance.  A skilled engraver as well.

On the military side things are just as good.  Three axedwarves (Levels 20, 8, 8); three sworddwarves (Levels 20, 8, 8) and Three Marksdwarves (10, 10, 9) were the highlight since this is essentially an effective defense force once equipped.  One of the marksdwarves even brought a masterpiece bronze crossbow with him.

The additional manpower is welcome as well.  The brickyard can now be manned (3 Magma Kilns located right next to the clay collection area) and this will takeover block production for wall and floor construction.  This saves the chalk and marble for furnishings or flux stone for steel production.  The Foundry is now fully dwarved with all the Smelters running for steel production and the forges turning out weapons and other items.  The resident Legendary Armorer is churning out steel armor pieces of superior quality or better already.  (Iron and steel stocks are currently around 150 bars of each and growing.)

The land to the south of the current Main Gate has been designated our Killing Ground.  It will be walled and gated to for access control and then "improved" as time permits to make the welcome the goblins get as warm as possible.  The Main Gate area wall will get 2nd level fortifications and marksdwarf positions.  The areas within the current perimeter wall will get some additional fortifications and then roofed to serve as barrracks and protected areas for sorties to issue from.

And there will still be a continual resources draw to furnish the residencies and dining hall will beds, seats, and other items.

A lot of work to do, but the fortress has the citizens to start building it now.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25430 on: September 10, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »

The Weremammoth Nique Sairquenir has com! An enormous mammoth twisted into humanoid form. It is crazed for blood and flesh. Its eyes glow yellow. Its dark brown hair is short and even. Now you will know why you fear the night.

It killed a duck, chased a wolverine, changed into a human and ran away before my army could get there.  Poor duck...

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25431 on: September 10, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

The undead count is in the 60's. It's nearly over. A decade of cowering in the depths of the earth ends...

It's over! All of the undead are either caged or re-dead! I didn't think it would be safe to send 3 dwarves out alone to fight the last of the zombie birds, but it worked like a charm! I mean, they hated it and one of them is actually unhappy, but still. Victory at last!

To boot, I managed to export a single mechanism with the elven caravan! This is the only item I ever actually got off-map on a merchant, since the undead started showing up in year 1.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:13:16 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25432 on: September 10, 2012, 06:06:00 pm »

After my garden was completed, I needed another project to work on. Seeing how I had over two hundred pieces of cinnabar, I decided on a cinnabar temple to Sarvesh Oiledsweltered, often depicted as a female dwarf, god(ess?) of volcanoes, mountains, metals, minerals, jewels and wealth. However, I made it too big. For the ground floor alone, I'd need over 3200 pieces of cinnabar. Even if I make all of my cinnabar into blocks, I'd only have 900-ish blocks. Luckily, I haven't mined out all cinnabar yet, so we'll see how far I'll get with it. Otherwise, I might finish the top in cobaltite. Although it's only the bottom floor that needs a lot of cinnabar. Oh well. We'll see.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25433 on: September 10, 2012, 06:24:35 pm »

RabbitHut is ... proceeding very slowly.

I have to pause-and-evaluate regularly, as we're kinda over-extending to reap the benefits of the cavern.
Don't want a zombiegeddon like my older RabbitHuts, and don't want to be the ump-teenth fort that has to manage zombie hordes on a per Z-level basis.
Not yet anyway.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25434 on: September 10, 2012, 07:39:16 pm »

After having a goblin invasion without being prepared, losing some dwarves and pets, a dragon decides to show up.

So I hide my dwarves inside the center staircase and wait for the dragon. Hoping I don't get murderized

The dragon walks on top of the staircase, and breathes fire. The fire hurts no one even though it travels 2 z-levels downward.

Then I order everyone to attack through the fire. Suddenly, a dozen or so angry dwarves charge the dragon from below, through the smoke and fire. Many don't have any combat skills, some don't even have weapons, but they aren't taking no bullshit from some punk dragon. They mob the dragon before it even has time to breathe fire again. The killing blow is done by a copper warhammer, which smashes the dragon's skull into the brain.

Nobody dies to the dragon. Fuck you, dragon. :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:59:18 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25435 on: September 10, 2012, 08:38:10 pm »

Prepare for a tantrum spiral anyway; somehow, it will happen. :P

My fortress is still barely hanging on with 4 dwarves (I forgot to mention last time that the expedition leader/militia commander got beaten up pretty bad and died of infection, didn't I?)

I atomsmashed the remainder of the undead. Now all that's left is a horde of forgotten beasts of varying degrees of "Oh shit" and "We're fucked if they find a way inside."

I'm currently producing silver statues like mad, because I discovered the embark screen wasn't quite lying when it said "deep metals." I just hadn't looked in the the right places. I could of sworn there was a promise of shallow metals, though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:44:22 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25436 on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:15 pm »

Late Autumn, 895

The undead are walking again, for about the 5th year in a row.  We are all confined to the keep while we wait for them to wander over our many cage and weapon traps.

So, being a bright lad, I decided to embark near (2) towers.  So far in only about 5 years I've captured (2) necros, killed a few hundred zombies, and there are at least 2 more necros wandering around outside reanimating things.

I've had a military alert confining the civilians to safe burrows since year 1.  Amazingly, we've had a few caravans get through, but I fear the dwarves won't be coming this year unless we mow down the 100+ undead quickly.

The necros are not trap-avoid, so they wander across one of our spiked wooden ball traps and instantly get slaughtered.  (Toady should give them armor? Dodge skill?)

I have a quantum-minecart stockpile for refuse near the entrance, which then gets loaded into a 2nd minecart to be taken deep within the fortress to another quantum stockpile by a butcher shop.  All refuse stockpiles and butcher shops are surrounded by 1+ rings of weapon traps.

This latest siege, I have (3) necromancers showing up on the combat reports.  All I need now is a goblin ambush squad or three to add to the fun and multiply the undead.

The highlight of the elves trading has been them dying horribly as they leave in the middle of an undead outbreak.  Oh, and they brought me a breeding pair of giant wild boars.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25437 on: September 10, 2012, 10:04:12 pm »

Miners struck blue garnets in Glacialhell. After what happened in Spearbreakers, I fear this gemstone.
Draltha herd is growing rapidly, as are the naked moledog herds. Beginning to build a silk farm.

EDIT: The Forgotten Beast Belepi Fafirelicesi has come! A gigantic blob composed of snow, it has wings and undgulkates reythmically! Beware it's webs!

It was promptly met by marksdwarves since it was a web spitter. And was killed rather quickly. It's name translated to "Belepi The Spurting Blister." Alrighty then....

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25438 on: September 11, 2012, 08:10:28 am »

Well, I still haven't found a site I like for my capture, train and breed program.

Until now.

DFHack says that this site has 33600 magnetite, 30720 native gold, 20800 tetrahedrite, 6080 malachite... and 11520 native platinum. That is the largest deposit of platinum I've ever seen.

Sadly, after embark, prospect revealed 35023 magnetite, 22312 tetrahedrite, 5.2k raw candy, and 934 native platinum. But I think the amount of gold present more than makes up for it... 200k native gold.

Plus an aquifer and marble...

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:39:01 pm by Lich180 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25439 on: September 11, 2012, 02:12:36 pm »

Got some help regarding the humans in glacial hell. They left happily and then goblin strike teams came. And were savagly beaten to death with maces. There is quite the pile of corpses and discarded bolts building up outside now. Thankfully it's mostly obscured by chest deep snow. Casualties of the battle were a macedwarf who needes stiches in his leg (no motor nerve damage thankfully) and the militia commander/head miner who got his foot broken, and another Lifeminer who got his shoulder broken. The macedwarf is already out good as new.

One squad bolted as soon as they got spotted, though they left one dead soldier behind, and another only had a few survivors (two to be exact. The rest died.) They've been inconviencing workers building a special access way for idiots who spawn on the top of the glacier. The Armored Roses have since cycled out so The Purple Tombs and The Gloved Gates can recover from thier men being wounded. The clean up is slow going though. The clothes are apreciated because it means less I have to make myself, but thier shoddy metal gear is beginning to become a problem, though I can still use some of the higher weapongrade metal ones, such as the iron flails most of the macedwarves are using that previous goblins so generously donated.

I really need to find magma so I don't need to worry abotu fuel...
Pages: 1 ... 1694 1695 [1696] 1697 1698 ... 3842