Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107704 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2535 on: April 30, 2010, 04:17:37 pm »

Hi!

four layers of aquifer

I think the game is trying to tell you something there (^_^;;

I wonder, what was the worst aquifer anyone has ever encountered and maybe breached? Thus far, I have only heard of two levels, but this is really nasty.

Deathworks

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: April 30, 2010, 05:22:13 pm »

Eh, I gave up on that fort now. Knowing the luck I was having with actually getting underground, I'd probably find flux... on only one layer, right below the aquifer.
It was a nice fort... it was just going to be hard to defend given the lack of planning beforehand and hard to actually get through all those aquifer layers. [Plus the waterfall was kinda bringing my FPS down to where it was before I put Partial Print on, which wasn't a good thing].
My new place I embarked at has flux right below the surface, sand, a brook to divert water from, and lots of trees. Also, I've already found Magnetite, Limonite, and Native Platinum.
The entrance goes on and on for a good ways in and down, and I've already carved out the place where I'll be making a ballista array. The farms are a bit out of the way, but that's not much of a problem really.
Hopefully I'll actually build a fort this time that actually gets closer to the 100 pop mark.

EDIT: By the way, using .28.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:47:27 pm by Pheonix_RE »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: April 30, 2010, 05:27:13 pm »

Hi!

I have made up my mind to end this fortress via dig too deep, so to speak, which would be a first for me (never went past the chasm in 2D).

In that regard, I have reached the second cavern layer which was also connected to a magma ocean.

In other news, I have finally found the cave swallow man civilization. Besides surprising me by having hidden in a corner of the first cavern layer after all, the blowdarts they use seem to cause short spurts of paralysis! Still, seeing how my giant felines do a good job at dealing with them, I don't think they will be able to bring down my fortress.

Deathworks

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: April 30, 2010, 07:19:03 pm »

Frantically building a desalination plant as my dorfs die of thirst despite there being booze left (it's running out, but thought it would all be gone before they started dieing).

Hi!

four layers of aquifer

I think the game is trying to tell you something there (^_^;;

I wonder, what was the worst aquifer anyone has ever encountered and maybe breached? Thus far, I have only heard of two levels, but this is really nasty.

Deathworks
Current fort had either 3 or 4 Z layers of aquifer in a row. Got down to caverns levels by digging back and forth until I found a dry path through. I then tried to build a staircase straight to the surface. Bottom one or two layers were stone so I just let it drain into caverns while it was smoothed. Trying to use pumps and built walls to finish up the top two layers.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:29:37 pm by Leonon »

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: April 30, 2010, 08:01:00 pm »

The following just happened in my fort:
- Triple Goblin Ambush as both migrants and elves were trying to enter the fort
- Two of my 3 wells were suddenly covered in blood, alligators had taken several dwarves from under the wells
- Two swordmasters of my 7 dorf strong army were crushed by my own drawbridge
- A forgotten beast had flown into my up/down straiway from the caves below, destroyed my forges and smelters

So lots of Fun all at once!

And the best part? The forgotten beast was mostly busy killing himself with his own foul breath :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: April 30, 2010, 08:07:43 pm »

I was getting tired of my fort and my mechanics weren't working right.  :'(

So I decided to dig into the addy. I managed to get like 3 layers out without anything horrible happening yet, so I figured I'd make some addy gear and throw a quick squad together before making the final breach.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: April 30, 2010, 08:59:47 pm »

Slowly flooding the workshop level of my fortress as I struggle to modify the waterfall of pure joy to not splash water everywhere.  Despite the 1 tile source and 5 tile drainage the waterfall is slightly overflowing as the tiles of 7/7 water pile on top of eachother as they try to figure out how to get to the drains and throw 1/7 tiles of water everywhere around the waterfall..

It is in no danger of actually flooding to a dangerous level in the workshops area, since there is drainage, and I do have an emergency shutoff lever. But I would rather my hallways not start spawning plants at random.  So I'm expanding the waterfall to 3x3 instead of 1x1.  That should give the water enough room to not have to stack on top of eachother and flow off the grate.

As a bonus it will give me the opportunity to see if grates act as floormats for dwarves to wipe their feet on, since this will cause the access to the well to be on a platform made of grates.  I remember there was some kind of 1 tile construction you could build way back when that would prevent bloodspread.  I don't remember what it was but grates sound about right.   If it works only my well will be bloody and I could very well have the cleanest .31 fort in existence.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: April 30, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »

I remember that. Constructing a bridge or grate over a channeled area (i.e. no floor below) would stop the spread of contaminants. Since water washes off contaminants now, your idea should work so long as your dwarves walk through the waterfall regularly.

For your overflow problem, you should have multiple z-levels below the grates for the water to fall into. That way any backup of water won't flood your fort.

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: May 01, 2010, 03:25:53 am »

So while working on my mad plan to drive giant pillars of obsidian into the ocean floor, I embarked on a tropical ocean, and starting dropping shafts looking for a way through the aquifer.

Lots of shafts and utter strangeness later I finally find a dry layer... 12 layers below the surface. Stupid aquifers.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: May 01, 2010, 01:15:00 pm »

Got a new fort all set up, only to realize I hadn't checked the available civs at embark....now I'm stuck with just 20 dwarves and the only visitors so far have been elves.
Tried to assemble a militia, was finally getting them to train, when the militia commander hit the fort's first strange mood. He was a glassmaker...we had no sand...
So now I have 2 soldiers, only one of whom will do individual training, and neither will pick up anything but their wooden training weapons. An underground beast taught one the folly of his ways by chewing off his left foot.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: May 01, 2010, 01:18:56 pm »

I'm next to a river, so I have several layers of aquifer as well, but they're small and tend to follow the river, so it's easy to avoid them. trying to build more catwalks across the canyons. I need more expansion room.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: May 01, 2010, 02:28:57 pm »

Holy crap. The axedwarf who lost his foot continued to slap the cave crawler with his ashen axe to no effect for a few days.
Then the expedition leader walked up and struck it down with a single punch to the brain 0_o

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: May 01, 2010, 02:48:40 pm »

I wanted to go old-school so I downloaded the old 2D version...

Kind of pleased the world I genned hit the Golden Age...IIRC, it seemed to always hit that age in 23a.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: May 01, 2010, 02:53:52 pm »

Decided to abandon after kobold-induced tantrum spiral slowed production to a crawl and population was deteriorating rapidly. Hooray for the lack of a nobles screen (and thus ability to appoint an arsenal dwarf) after the expedition leader died of going crazy.  :-\

Next fortress I'm giving the expedition leader two armed guards and a statue-filled pleasure palace as soon as the dwarves embark.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: May 01, 2010, 03:50:19 pm »

Last fortress fell due to no migration waves (I think unleashing HFS killed off everything in previous abandoned forts) so I genned a new world to test my new adamantine veins. sure as hell one was right at the start. This also triggers the !KING! to arrive on the 3rd or 4th immigration wave, demanding all kinds of luxurious goods in his damn bedroom.

But I'll keep him around for the fun of it. Think this fort will be the one I've been waiting for!

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 3842